“Family vacation at the Barcelo resort” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Barrie, Ontario, Canada
“Family vacation at the Barcelo resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Tbh we were a little disappointed when we got to the resort, and discovered the Caribe and all the facilities, including the golf, water park, bar etc., were closed until the 22nd also the Tropical was closed so instead of having 4 venues to choose from we were limited to 2. With having 2 teens in tow, we were relying on the entertainment, and activities, especially the teen club and disco! We were just told it was all happening on the 22nd of December...the day we were leaving! The beach was fantastic mindue probably the best yet and very well maintained, great sealife too, and we even saw a turtle! The hotels, beach and grounds were kept very clean, but the staff were very cold and could have done with some customer care training! The restaurant servers were friendlier overall. The animation team were very lazy and didn't bother to do half of the things they advertised. We did however, get an upgrade to a suite after I spoke to the manager about our disappointments which certainly helped although the hot tub didn't work for the 1st 4 days! The weather was great for a few days then had 2 days of rain which of course nobody can control, however this is where the animation team needed to step up and put on some extra activities to amuse the guests, we did receive board games once we asked!
The food was good and varied somewhat, but the al la carte was hard to book and most weren't available till after 9pm, and 2 of the 4 options were closed on my b'day which fell on a Saturday?? not sure why they were closed, seemed very strange. Also although I'm not obsessed with wifi, its nice to have it if needed, and the 2 days I attempted to use their one hour free service it was not working, when I approached the receptionist she was rude and said "as its a free service, they are not responsible for the fact it wasn't working? Just added insult to injury!...In all honesty a couple of blips but had a lovely holiday overall. We would definitely not return to the Barceló chain again however. Way to many other amazing resorts in the nearby area with great staff, entertainment and that make you feel special whilst on your hard earned vacation!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Polish first
Långared, Vastra Gotaland, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is our second visit to Mexico. Staying here for 2 weeks. Great food, service and outdoor activities. Wanted to do free sailing lessons today, but will have to wait until tomorrow as it has been too windy the last few days.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Angus H:

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the comments you kindly share with the Tripadvisor users, We are always happy to listen our guests and we are glad you have enjoyed the property and Service,

We look forward to serving you again.
Best regards,
Plymouth, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I have been to many beach resorts and was pleased with their set-up. No cabanas that people horde for the day - just beautiful palm trees everywhere. They provided plenty of natural shade. The resort was spotlessly clean and the service was very good. Everyone was super friendly and helpful. They had several specialty restaurants. We liked the Mexican best. As for the food in the main buffet - it was average. Lots of chose and I liked the small portion options - very clever idea. I did wish that they had a beach bar with seating at the bar - not just in the pool. Lots of activities - our fav was the catamarans.

Room Tip: Only 3 levels but I prefer the top floor to keep the noise down. Also you could be a long walk to t...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear debmoore013:

Many thanks for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions about your stay.I will be glad to take your remarks into consideration as a means to improve our services.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you require any further information, we look forward to receiving you again in the future.

Best Regards
Odessa, Ukraine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Just 12 days as I came back to Ukraine from Mexico....

Totally can agree with a lot of previous comments....I have been to Mexico for the first time and it seems to me that mexican service is the slowliest one in the world and it was sometimes very funny;)) Because I try to relate to all things with humor) But sometimes it was not too humorous because we was waiting our cups of tea and coffee from the room service for hours))) hahaha)) Mexicans dont hurry at all:))
But a nature around and in the resort is just amazing and excellent! Also we had a very beautiful view on the pool and ocean from our room but for that we needed to pay upper paid price:(((
The food was not bad to my mind. Although it is all inclusive resort restaurants were not too good. That is why we attended just 2 from 5 offered. Sometimes buffets offered a bit delicious meals;))

Anyway I and my soulmate had enough good and pleasant time from being there! Because it was our sweet time together and we tried dont pay attention too much to surrounded flaws;))

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Dear Tanusha1981:

Thank you very much for your contact regarding the service you received, , please allow me to apologize that your vacation with us was not entirely perfect, we value your comments and preference, and i will be pleased to take into account your remarks by solving this problem and preventing it from happening again.

Thank you again, for your honest feedback. I hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.

Laval, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Ill keep it short and simple...

Pros:

Extremely clean, great service, beautiful beach, very good breakfast, lunch and supper, good animation and shows

Cons:

Watered down alcohol (confirmed by staff), no 24h snack bar, 20-30 min from Playa Del Carmen, unnecessarily expensive excursions (visit Playa Del Carmen and purchase same excursion for half the price, very safe)

Room Tip: You get coupons to upgrade room upon arrival, inquire about them. It might be worthwhile to get a be...
Dear Nicolas H:

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the comments you kindly share with the Tripadvisor users. All guest feedback is very important to us, due to our main goal is to exceed our guest expectations.

We will be very happy to serve you again.

Best Regards
Region of Waterloo, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First of all, the service from reception was very bad, I had to wait too long ,and after 11 pm nobody was responsible to answer people. Secondly, about the food They showed us shrimp and fish, When I asked them to serve it, they said it is just a display. Unfortunately The quality of the food was very bad, and I am sure it was not fresh.
I never recommend this hotel to any one.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear Yasser M:

Many thanks for contacting us and for your comments which are very important for us, Guest feedback is very important for us, and I am grateful on this occasion to have the opportunity to improve our services.

Our main goal is to make sure that all our guests leave with wonderful memories of their stay here and wanting to return.

It will be a pleasure to receive you again one day with a guarantee that we can exceed your expectations.

Sincerely
Waterloo, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

the quality of the food is super super terrible ,i got food poisened twice and i wrote the note for them, nobody even emailed me back.people at the front desk are too UNPROFESSIONAL .They make u wait forever .if u have a problem there ,instead of making u happy they start to argue with u…..

so disappointed …. not coming back…never recommend it…….

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Mohsen M:

Thank you for taking the time to tell us why our service failed to meet your expectations. We value your preference, and would like to address your concerns as quickly as possible.

I understand your frustration, and I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience we have caused you. It is my goal to restore your confidence in our company by solving this problem and preventing it from happening again.I will be happy to take your remarks into consideration as a means to improve our services.

We look forward to have the opportunity to serve you with the level of service from which we have built our reputation.
Best regards,

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!