“great beach!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 30% discount
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Riu Cabo
“great beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We have been to Cancun/Rivera Maya a dozen times or so but never statyed this far south. We went went with another family (2 kids) and another couple. I booked through cheapcaribbean and the experience was seamless. I had never booked online and Elizabeth, the cheapcaribbean agent, was VERY helpful and was on the spot with her recommendations with pricing on different options almost immediate.

The "gauntlet" at the hotel seemed to be less this time but it was no trouble finding our transfer company. After a few margaritas at the bar outside the airport they quickly got us our transportation and the trip to the hotel took about an hour. Check in wasn't too bad. The two families chose to upgrade to a premier room and the couple chose to stay in their "regular" room but chose to upgrade to premier for the drinks etc.

We went over to the premier lounge to finish our check-in where we found out the reservations for most of the restaurants were booked out several days which was very disappointing. Before the trip I went to the Barcelo website and felt it was pretty inadequate in explaining what all was involved with the premier upgrade...I felt their website was totally inadequate compared to other websites. If I had been better informed we would have upgraded before we arrived and may have been able to get reservations in on more restaurants before we arrived.

The property was very nice. We weren't expecting too much as this is an older property and the "bottom" rung of the attached Barcelo properties. Let me tell you don't let that bother you, the property was kept clean and neat. We went to the Colonial and Tropical and the food wan't any better and the grounds weren't too much nicer, however we didn't get a chance to see the rooms.

The two families had ocean view premium room which appeared to be built new with the renovation? The room was very nice and had a king bed with two twin bed/couches that were great for our kids....just that alone was worth the premium upgrade. The bathroom was very nice but thank goodness my family isn't big on privacy as it is a spa set-up with a toilet that is enclosed by a glass door that doesn't go fully floor to ceiling but personally we didn't mind it. The soap/shampoo/conditioner are in a dispensor mounted on the wall...just don't push up because the container will go flying across the shower. There were several toiletries available for use (loofah, razor, toothbrush/paste etc) which were very nice but never replenished teh entire stay. There were two sinks which was great while getting ready however one didn't drain and leaked. We let both the premier desk and front desk know for the first three days but nothing ever happened. The beds weren't that bad with a choice of pillows. The tv was good and was easy to work (yes as per other reviews the english channels were limited but this resort is geared more toward European travellers and you are in another country.) However, the aux plugs did work and were easy to set up so a dvd player or ipad adaptor was easy to attach. Our wifi worked very well in the room and by the pool/beach. The other room had a hard time getting wifi in the room. There was also a nice drying rack on the patio for swimsuits. The room was very dark at night so next time I am going to bring a small nightlight. I believe these rooms were set up with motion sensors that would shut down tv/some lights and turn the ac back to 23c however the recovery back to setpoint was very quick. We were in the building right next to the construction and it wasn't an issue....didn't hear anything.

The buffet was big and there was something for everyone. We had some picky kids with us and there was never any complaining. The buffet by the lobby is open for b/l/d and is air conditioned. We found it was more comfortable toward the center of the room. The different "theme" nights were basically the same type of food with 3-4 dished divoted to the "theme". They did rotate the regular dishes from time to time so the food didn't get too redundant AND it DIDN'T all taste the same like many other properties we have visited. We ate lunch at the buffet by the pool/beach. Sit along the outside edges as the center of the restaurant gets very hot with little air movement. The bars weren't as bad as some of the earlier reviews. The "regular" booze was ok and most of the beer was Corona and Corona Light but there was some Negro Modelo. The premier upgrade we did included all of their topshelf liquor...and yes they did run out from time to time at the pool bar but we just dealt with it and chose something else. I am booze snob and I was not disappointed (except for the white wine at the buffet..tasted like Thunderbird). The Beach Bar by the lobby was a great place before/after dinner. There was plenty of top shelf liquor and snacks throughout the day as well as the Premier Lounge which has a self-serve liquor and snacks (however their internet was always down). The only restaurant we were able to go to was the Italian which was pretty good but hotter than all get-out. It was over at the Colonial where most of their restaurants were very hot the night we were over there.

The pool had alot of activity which we like and the beach was great with plenty of chairs. If you like to snorkle bring your gear as there is decent snorkling just off the shore including turtles and a 3' sea ray. I would suggest doing the "stingray shuffle" (slide your feet instead of stomping down) in the sand as there were several stingrays in the sand just off of shore. They were obviously used to humans being around and weren't going to bother anyone unless you step on them.

As I mentioned earlier we have been fortunate enough to travel somewhat and Barcelo Beach was a very pleasant surprise. Sure not everything was perfect buy we just try to roll with it. When you called to the front desk there wasn't the confidence your issue would be resolved however I can say my son got sick one night and within 15 minutes there was someone to the room giving us what we needed (he was fine the next day). This is a European hotel, geared to multiple nationalities and it is in another country. We enjoyed being around all of the other cultures, it made us feel like we were actually in another country instead of being in a resort geared to Americans/Canadians....just keep in mind we have a totally different idea of personal space than many other countries.

Room Tip: Premier rooms were nice...worth the upgrade if traveling with kids
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
c-k_malone; Many thanks for sharing your impressions regarding your stay at Barceló Maya Beach, we are glad that you enjoyed many aspects of you Vacation with us.

Guest comments are a useful tool for us to improve our services and we always treat them seriosly and take appropriate action to continue to better ourselves day by day.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Polish first
Long Beach, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I went with my husband and 4-yr old daughter and a young couple (late 20's). We had a great time here. The rooms were nothing special but they were clean and fine. We loved that we could use any of the pools and eat in all of the restaurants. The beach was beautiful and pristine, the pools were clean and the swim up bars were great. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. My daughter loved the water park across by the other part of the resort. I loved the lush tropical landscape throughout the resorts. The restaurants were pretty good. We rented a car and ventured out to Playa del Carmen, which was a short 15-min drive North and Tulum - 20 min South. It's very easy to rent a car in Cancun, you feel like you are in Florida. This was a great vacation and I hope to go back there one day. A little note.. when you check in, pay the additional fee and get the upgrade bracelet, you get concierge service and basically become a "first class" guest getting first dibbs on hotel reservations, etc.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Annybabes; Thank you so much for sharing your impresions about Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, We are glad you and your family enjoyed your stay.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Overall the hotel met my expectations. This was my 3rd all inclusive stay, 2nd in Mexico.

As many have said the grounds and beach are beautiful. We were able to see a decent amount of fish pretty close to shore. For the most part the water is clear and calm which made for good snorkeling conditions. We brought our own equipment so I cannot comment on the quality or availability of the equipment provided. There are a ton of fish right by the pier where you rent the kayaks and other water sport equipment.

The rooms did have a slight musky odor to them. The smell was stronger on the 1st floor rooms. Nothing too crazy and is something you will most likely find at any resort in this area. I packed room spray and a charcoal odor absorbing bag and didn't notice much of a smell after the second day although the clean clothes I took home did have a slight odor and needed to be rewashed.

Our group of 7 never had a problem finding a chair at the pool or beach so no need to get up extra early to save a spot. You are given a towel card when you check in that you exchange each day for a pool towel. Although the towels are a normal beach size towel I would have preferred to have more than one. So pack a towel if you think you will need more than one.

The staff is always cleaning, painting, planting etc to keep the resort in tip top shape. Check in was relatively quick. We booked a basic room and were in the Coba building. The room was very clean and the housekeeping service was fantastic. Some other members of our group had issues with their rooms being cleaned very late in the day or not at all despite the "clean" sign on the door but we never had a problem. I read a couple reviews that mentioned there were not face cloths provided. We brought our own but turns out 2 were provided during the stay. They were not replaced with the towels each day. The bathrooms did have the pump shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the shower. They seemed decent quality. I wished I would have known this ahead of time and save some space in my suit case :)

On the second day we had a giant puddle of water in our bathroom which was coming from the ceiling (we were on the 3rd floor). We also noticed a large amount of water coming from the roof right outside our balcony. We called the front desk and then was connected to housekeeping (7:00am). After an hour of not hearing from anyone we went down to the front desk. I was able to get us a new room after insisting. I felt this was poor service that a new room was not immediately offered. At first we were told they were all booked up which I find hard to believe that every room between 4 complexes was completely full. Anyway they had a new room for us by noon.

Overall the food buffet was good some things better than others. Chicken was always moist and seasoned well. The Beef tended to be a little dry and a bit overdone for my liking but still decent. I really wish they would just offer a traditional salad bar. All topping to make a salad were in mini shot glasses and the lettuce was 2 to 3 leaves in a rocks glass. I felt bad taking multiple cups just to make a decent salad. The fresh fruit skewers and juice bar were a nice touch. If you have a sweet tooth there were always plenty of options. I would suggest trying the cheesecake. Lots of ice cream flavors to choose from but the toppings were a little unusual. Basically just a bunch of cereal toppings (fruit loops, fruity pebbles) and raisins. Hand sanitizer when entering the buffet would be nice. I know the resort cannot really control it but I saw several people sticking thieir hands in the food (especially the chips) rather than using the serving utensils.

We ate at the Mexican restaurant twice and the Spanish restaurant once. Due to the construction (I think) the pool grill is converted into the Spanish restaurant at night. It was very warm and the men in our group had to wear long pants to be in dress code and found it a bit uncomfortable. They should probably reconsider the dress code since the grill is not air conditioned. Overall we were not happy with the food here and cancelled another reservation we had for an upcoming night. The mussels did not appear to be washed properly (very sandy) and smelled very fishy. The service in this and the Mexican restaurant was excellent. I do wish the menus either changed daily or were expanded. I felt the selection was a little limited.

The drinks are pretty weak. Be sure to ask for a double or even a triple (not ever a problem). We did bring our own tervis tumblers and the bar staff was more than happy to make our drinks in them. The pool bars really need to have more staff added. The wait time was pretty long to get a drink and the bar tenders are not the best at scanning and serving in order of arrival. They tend to stay in one area and will wait on whoever is in front of them. And as you can imagine not many of your fellow guests will let them know you were there first. For the majority of the staff tipping did not improve the quality or speed of service. So unless you feel strongly about it, not really needed.

Overall the staff was very friendly and always greeted us and smiled. We found very little issues with communication despite our spanish be very limited.

The entrainment during the day and at night was decent. The circus was probably the best evening performance.

The spa was just okay. For what they charge for their services I expected a lot more. 3 of us got spa pedicures. We were never offered anything to drink. Although I saw them spray the tubs they did not appear very clean. (I am a bit of a germ freak)

For what we paid I was happy with the resort and would probably be back despite the few minor issues we experienced.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Shannon_314; Many thanks for the time you have taken to share your comments trough Tripadvisor network, we are sorry for any inconvenience caused but glad that you enjoyed many aspects of you Vacation with us.

We remain at your service.

Milford, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My daughter and I were there for my birthday and I couldn't have asked for better service.
The only thing wrong was they charged us over $80.00 for 2 cans of sunscreen in the lobby shop. That was outrageous! Make sure you bring your own.And we had to change rooms because of smokers on both sides of our room and the smoke blew right in.So if you don't smoke ask if they have no smoking rooms.

Room Tip: We spent the extra money to upgrade to a junior suite by the pool with a Jacuzzi on the porch. The l...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
58Beth; Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Barceló Maya Beach, we are glad you spent a great time with your daughter in our facilities and you liked our services.

The comfort of our guests is of utmost importance to us, and without these comments we could not improve our services.

We look forward to serving you again.

Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

The resort is huge, beautiful, with great services and fantastic long beach. The only negative was noise in the room due to the paved floor outside on the corridor (and the door which absolutely was not sound proof), so you could hear people walking at night - returning form bars, coming with luggage... But overall, fantastic place(unlike to Cancun and the Barcelo hotel there).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Magda U; Many thanks for your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, I am sorry that on this occasion the noice in your rooms have not allowed you to fully enjoy your Vacation.

We remind at your service.
boston, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

I use tripadvisor and take the time to read each review to get the info I am looking for for the perfect trip for me and my family. So, with that said, here is my review...
Beach: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR ME WHEN CHOOSING A BEA CH RESORT. beautiful, clean water, nice to walk, we saw sea turtles and manta rays and stingrays. The chairs were in good working order, you never had to get up early to reserve and the shade ( many palm trees) was plentiful. Part of the beach near the palace resort was rocky but at maya beach awesome.
Food: Buffet was good for all inclusive not great but good. Mexican and Spanish a la crate were great. Really good steaks at both.
Rooms: comfy beds ( surprising for me Mexico), nice shower heads with good flow, mini bars don't get cold. Clean, but decor is average. Who cares you aren't really in the room.
Staff: excellent. Please note Orlando at the front desk, Jose at the Mexican restaurant and overall everyone was very nice.
Cenote: right across the street !!! This is a fresh water swimming hole. Go to gate turn left ( do not got the first two commercial ones) cristaline cenote. What fun! For like $8 per person.
Activities, etc we did not do but everything looked great.
We just relaxed and read a ton of books at the beach. Great beach!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
moucru; Thank you very much for contacting us through Tripadvisor and the comments you very kindly share about your vacations at Barceló Maya Beach, we are glad that you and your family ejoyed your stay and you found our staff to be hard working and friendly.

We look forward to hositng you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went in June of 2013 and after reading a few reviews I was a little nervous. That was all for naught. The resort itself has 4 different hotels, in the package that we booked we were able to eat and play at all of them. This offered many different options for pools, buffets, fine dining, activities and tons of beach to play on. It is pretty big and to get anywhere you have to walk, but it's very clean and well maintained and we didn't find walking a hardship at all. There are busses that come every 15 minutes or so and drive between the 4 resorts so you do have that option.

The food in the fine dining was great. However, depending on the day and time of buffet and which one you are at the food was mediocre to great. Honestly the buffets varied so much and they did themes on some nights in some of them. We ate at the fine dining 6 out of 7 dinners and the buffets the rest of the time. There were 2 times that we started at one buffet, didn't like anything so went to another where we were able to find something that we did like. The soda in Mexico in general is wrong so I can't comment much on the soda. We drank a lot of BOTTLED water and alcohol that was included in our stay.

The rooms weren't fancy, but our balcony had a great view. The fridge was always stocked and if you left a note stating you wanted only beer and water they granted your request. The rooms were clean and cool. When you walked out it's almost a surprise as the humidity hit us like a ton of bricks (we're from UT.)
We did snorkeling, canoeing, wind surfing and sailing. All of which was included in the all- inclusive. The have instruction courses for the wind surfing and sailing that are offered at no cost. We also played miniature golf :) There are also kiddie pools and areas, though we didn't look much into them.

The staff was friendly and helpful. They gave us direction when we wanted to go into town. There are also tour companies on site if you want to book outside excursions. We did a few and arrange everything quickly and easily. We did go during off season, but it was quiet and fun. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Brittney S; I would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions of the property and services.

We are happy that we have exceeded your expectations and you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Our goal remains that of serving all of our guests to the best of our ability, to ensure that we are creating unforgettable experiences.

We look forward to serving you again.

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!