“Great Vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Long Beach, New York
“Great Vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

I went with my husband and 4-yr old daughter and a young couple (late 20's). We had a great time here. The rooms were nothing special but they were clean and fine. We loved that we could use any of the pools and eat in all of the restaurants. The beach was beautiful and pristine, the pools were clean and the swim up bars were great. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. My daughter loved the water park across by the other part of the resort. I loved the lush tropical landscape throughout the resorts. The restaurants were pretty good. We rented a car and ventured out to Playa del Carmen, which was a short 15-min drive North and Tulum - 20 min South. It's very easy to rent a car in Cancun, you feel like you are in Florida. This was a great vacation and I hope to go back there one day. A little note.. when you check in, pay the additional fee and get the upgrade bracelet, you get concierge service and basically become a "first class" guest getting first dibbs on hotel reservations, etc.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Annybabes; Thank you so much for sharing your impresions about Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, We are glad you and your family enjoyed your stay.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to serving you again in the future.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Polish first
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Overall the hotel met my expectations. This was my 3rd all inclusive stay, 2nd in Mexico.

As many have said the grounds and beach are beautiful. We were able to see a decent amount of fish pretty close to shore. For the most part the water is clear and calm which made for good snorkeling conditions. We brought our own equipment so I cannot comment on the quality or availability of the equipment provided. There are a ton of fish right by the pier where you rent the kayaks and other water sport equipment.

The rooms did have a slight musky odor to them. The smell was stronger on the 1st floor rooms. Nothing too crazy and is something you will most likely find at any resort in this area. I packed room spray and a charcoal odor absorbing bag and didn't notice much of a smell after the second day although the clean clothes I took home did have a slight odor and needed to be rewashed.

Our group of 7 never had a problem finding a chair at the pool or beach so no need to get up extra early to save a spot. You are given a towel card when you check in that you exchange each day for a pool towel. Although the towels are a normal beach size towel I would have preferred to have more than one. So pack a towel if you think you will need more than one.

The staff is always cleaning, painting, planting etc to keep the resort in tip top shape. Check in was relatively quick. We booked a basic room and were in the Coba building. The room was very clean and the housekeeping service was fantastic. Some other members of our group had issues with their rooms being cleaned very late in the day or not at all despite the "clean" sign on the door but we never had a problem. I read a couple reviews that mentioned there were not face cloths provided. We brought our own but turns out 2 were provided during the stay. They were not replaced with the towels each day. The bathrooms did have the pump shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the shower. They seemed decent quality. I wished I would have known this ahead of time and save some space in my suit case :)

On the second day we had a giant puddle of water in our bathroom which was coming from the ceiling (we were on the 3rd floor). We also noticed a large amount of water coming from the roof right outside our balcony. We called the front desk and then was connected to housekeeping (7:00am). After an hour of not hearing from anyone we went down to the front desk. I was able to get us a new room after insisting. I felt this was poor service that a new room was not immediately offered. At first we were told they were all booked up which I find hard to believe that every room between 4 complexes was completely full. Anyway they had a new room for us by noon.

Overall the food buffet was good some things better than others. Chicken was always moist and seasoned well. The Beef tended to be a little dry and a bit overdone for my liking but still decent. I really wish they would just offer a traditional salad bar. All topping to make a salad were in mini shot glasses and the lettuce was 2 to 3 leaves in a rocks glass. I felt bad taking multiple cups just to make a decent salad. The fresh fruit skewers and juice bar were a nice touch. If you have a sweet tooth there were always plenty of options. I would suggest trying the cheesecake. Lots of ice cream flavors to choose from but the toppings were a little unusual. Basically just a bunch of cereal toppings (fruit loops, fruity pebbles) and raisins. Hand sanitizer when entering the buffet would be nice. I know the resort cannot really control it but I saw several people sticking thieir hands in the food (especially the chips) rather than using the serving utensils.

We ate at the Mexican restaurant twice and the Spanish restaurant once. Due to the construction (I think) the pool grill is converted into the Spanish restaurant at night. It was very warm and the men in our group had to wear long pants to be in dress code and found it a bit uncomfortable. They should probably reconsider the dress code since the grill is not air conditioned. Overall we were not happy with the food here and cancelled another reservation we had for an upcoming night. The mussels did not appear to be washed properly (very sandy) and smelled very fishy. The service in this and the Mexican restaurant was excellent. I do wish the menus either changed daily or were expanded. I felt the selection was a little limited.

The drinks are pretty weak. Be sure to ask for a double or even a triple (not ever a problem). We did bring our own tervis tumblers and the bar staff was more than happy to make our drinks in them. The pool bars really need to have more staff added. The wait time was pretty long to get a drink and the bar tenders are not the best at scanning and serving in order of arrival. They tend to stay in one area and will wait on whoever is in front of them. And as you can imagine not many of your fellow guests will let them know you were there first. For the majority of the staff tipping did not improve the quality or speed of service. So unless you feel strongly about it, not really needed.

Overall the staff was very friendly and always greeted us and smiled. We found very little issues with communication despite our spanish be very limited.

The entrainment during the day and at night was decent. The circus was probably the best evening performance.

The spa was just okay. For what they charge for their services I expected a lot more. 3 of us got spa pedicures. We were never offered anything to drink. Although I saw them spray the tubs they did not appear very clean. (I am a bit of a germ freak)

For what we paid I was happy with the resort and would probably be back despite the few minor issues we experienced.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Shannon_314; Many thanks for the time you have taken to share your comments trough Tripadvisor network, we are sorry for any inconvenience caused but glad that you enjoyed many aspects of you Vacation with us.

Guest comments are a useful tool for us to improve our services and we always treat them seriosly and take appropriate action to continue to better ourselves day by day.

We remain at your service.

Milford, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

My daughter and I were there for my birthday and I couldn't have asked for better service.
The only thing wrong was they charged us over $80.00 for 2 cans of sunscreen in the lobby shop. That was outrageous! Make sure you bring your own.And we had to change rooms because of smokers on both sides of our room and the smoke blew right in.So if you don't smoke ask if they have no smoking rooms.

Room Tip: We spent the extra money to upgrade to a junior suite by the pool with a Jacuzzi on the porch. The l...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
58Beth; Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at Barceló Maya Beach, we are glad you spent a great time with your daughter in our facilities and you liked our services.

The comfort of our guests is of utmost importance to us, and without these comments we could not improve our services.

We look forward to serving you again.

Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

The resort is huge, beautiful, with great services and fantastic long beach. The only negative was noise in the room due to the paved floor outside on the corridor (and the door which absolutely was not sound proof), so you could hear people walking at night - returning form bars, coming with luggage... But overall, fantastic place(unlike to Cancun and the Barcelo hotel there).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Magda U; Many thanks for your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, I am sorry that on this occasion the noice in your rooms have not allowed you to fully enjoy your Vacation.

We remind at your service.
boston, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

I use tripadvisor and take the time to read each review to get the info I am looking for for the perfect trip for me and my family. So, with that said, here is my review...
Beach: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR ME WHEN CHOOSING A BEA CH RESORT. beautiful, clean water, nice to walk, we saw sea turtles and manta rays and stingrays. The chairs were in good working order, you never had to get up early to reserve and the shade ( many palm trees) was plentiful. Part of the beach near the palace resort was rocky but at maya beach awesome.
Food: Buffet was good for all inclusive not great but good. Mexican and Spanish a la crate were great. Really good steaks at both.
Rooms: comfy beds ( surprising for me Mexico), nice shower heads with good flow, mini bars don't get cold. Clean, but decor is average. Who cares you aren't really in the room.
Staff: excellent. Please note Orlando at the front desk, Jose at the Mexican restaurant and overall everyone was very nice.
Cenote: right across the street !!! This is a fresh water swimming hole. Go to gate turn left ( do not got the first two commercial ones) cristaline cenote. What fun! For like $8 per person.
Activities, etc we did not do but everything looked great.
We just relaxed and read a ton of books at the beach. Great beach!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
moucru; Thank you very much for contacting us through Tripadvisor and the comments you very kindly share about your vacations at Barceló Maya Beach, we are glad that you and your family ejoyed your stay and you found our staff to be hard working and friendly.

We look forward to hositng you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went in June of 2013 and after reading a few reviews I was a little nervous. That was all for naught. The resort itself has 4 different hotels, in the package that we booked we were able to eat and play at all of them. This offered many different options for pools, buffets, fine dining, activities and tons of beach to play on. It is pretty big and to get anywhere you have to walk, but it's very clean and well maintained and we didn't find walking a hardship at all. There are busses that come every 15 minutes or so and drive between the 4 resorts so you do have that option.

The food in the fine dining was great. However, depending on the day and time of buffet and which one you are at the food was mediocre to great. Honestly the buffets varied so much and they did themes on some nights in some of them. We ate at the fine dining 6 out of 7 dinners and the buffets the rest of the time. There were 2 times that we started at one buffet, didn't like anything so went to another where we were able to find something that we did like. The soda in Mexico in general is wrong so I can't comment much on the soda. We drank a lot of BOTTLED water and alcohol that was included in our stay.

The rooms weren't fancy, but our balcony had a great view. The fridge was always stocked and if you left a note stating you wanted only beer and water they granted your request. The rooms were clean and cool. When you walked out it's almost a surprise as the humidity hit us like a ton of bricks (we're from UT.)
We did snorkeling, canoeing, wind surfing and sailing. All of which was included in the all- inclusive. The have instruction courses for the wind surfing and sailing that are offered at no cost. We also played miniature golf :) There are also kiddie pools and areas, though we didn't look much into them.

The staff was friendly and helpful. They gave us direction when we wanted to go into town. There are also tour companies on site if you want to book outside excursions. We did a few and arrange everything quickly and easily. We did go during off season, but it was quiet and fun. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Brittney S; I would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions of the property and services.

We are happy that we have exceeded your expectations and you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Our goal remains that of serving all of our guests to the best of our ability, to ensure that we are creating unforgettable experiences.

We look forward to serving you again.
Holbrook, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My husband and I booked this trip very last minute, only 5 days prior. After reading many reviews for resorts in Rivera Maya, we picked this one for its high regards for its beach. I will start with check in. When we arrived at the resort we were checking in with Orlando at the front desk. He was friendly, efficient and very personable. We were offered an upgrade to a premium room and went to look at it with Orlando. It was a beautiful room in the COBA building, third floor facing the pool/ocean. (i wish that there wasn't a big palm tree in front of the room, so we could have seen the ocean) The room was large with a king size bed and a hot tub on the balcony. Although the price to upgrade was rather high ($618 additional for 6 nights) my husband decided to do it. I may not have done it. Our room wasn't ready so we went to have lunch at the buffet, which was very good. I have to mention Jesus, my favorite waiter. Jesus had a smile on his face every single day and that smile automatically made me smile. He was so accommodating and helpful every time we were in the buffet during our stay. After that we went to our room and we noticed that the mini bar was not cold, not even cool, it was warm. We called to the front desk and very sooner after that a new mini bar was brought to our room. This one was cool, never really cold, but i have read that on many other reviews, so i think it is just how mini bars work in Mexico. The beach, which was our main reason for picking this hotel, was gorgeous! We snorkeled everyday and saw many many beautiful colorful fish and coral. We snorkeled mostly in front of the Caribe resort along the swimming boundary line ropes. The best was where the left line meets the line that runs parallel with the shore. We also took public transportation (thanks to info from Elizabeth in the premium club. Elizabeth was always so cheerful and helpful with our many questions. She was great!) We walked out to the highway and crossed the road and waited for the bus, which is actually not a bus, it is a white small van that runs along the highway. They will flash their head lights at you and if you want a ride just flag them down. It only costs $30 pesos each person each way. We went to Akumal Beach. After you get off the bus, you have to cross back over the highway with the footbridge and then walk about 15 minutes and you will reach the beach. There are many tours companies to take you snorkeling, but we have our own equipment so we just snorkeled on our own. It was amazing, we saw tons of turtles! Back to Barcelo, we went to several of the restaurants and they were all good, with the steakhouse being our favorite. The salad bar was very good as was the steaks. We had some issues trying to get a hold of the company Olympus Tours that drove us to and from the airport, We had to meet with someone to set up a pick up time and they were never there, but thanks to Isreal, at the bellman podium we were able to get it all straightened out. Isreal is another great Barcelo employee.
The only real problem that we had was that my husband and I both got sick a few days after arriving and spent one full day in our room. We forced ourselves out of the room the next day even though we weren't feeling good. We didn't understand way we had gotten sick, we were careful to drink only bottled water, when we got sick we were drinking coke with lots of ice to try to settle our stomachs.....only to find out that the ice cubes were NOT purified!! We were sick for days and I am still not feeling right. I just wish that we would have been told upon checkin that the ice cubes were not purified....better yet, the ice cubes should be purified!! This is the only reason that would keep me from returning to this beautiful resort. What good is a beautiful resort if you are not feeling well enough to enjoy it completely for your entire vacation. I would like to add that Orlando-front desk, Elizabeth-premium club, Jesus-buffet waiter and Isreal-bellman are all assets to Barcelo Maya. People like them are what truly makes a resort enjoyable .

Room Tip: COBA building is in the perfect spot!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Phyllis10: First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions about your stay, we are glad you and your husband have enjoyed the property and Service, we also want to thank you for finding our staff to be hard working and friendly.

Concerning the ice cubes, upon careful examination of our reports we do not have any other similar incident. I would like to explain that our ice machines are connected to a purified water system and we have periodic inspections and chemical analysis of this water to make sure it is safe for human consumption.

I would like to conclude by assuring you that our goal remains that of serving all of our guests to the best of our ability, to ensure that we are creating unforgettable experiences.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Best Regards,

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!