“Great resort and a great beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 30% discount
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Prague, Czech Republic
“Great resort and a great beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

The resort is huge, beautiful, with great services and fantastic long beach. The only negative was noise in the room due to the paved floor outside on the corridor (and the door which absolutely was not sound proof), so you could hear people walking at night - returning form bars, coming with luggage... But overall, fantastic place(unlike to Cancun and the Barcelo hotel there).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Magda U; Many thanks for your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, I am sorry that on this occasion the noice in your rooms have not allowed you to fully enjoy your Vacation.

The comfort of our guests is of utmost importance to us, and without these comments we could not improve our services.

We remind at your service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Polish first
boston, ma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

I use tripadvisor and take the time to read each review to get the info I am looking for for the perfect trip for me and my family. So, with that said, here is my review...
Beach: THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING FOR ME WHEN CHOOSING A BEA CH RESORT. beautiful, clean water, nice to walk, we saw sea turtles and manta rays and stingrays. The chairs were in good working order, you never had to get up early to reserve and the shade ( many palm trees) was plentiful. Part of the beach near the palace resort was rocky but at maya beach awesome.
Food: Buffet was good for all inclusive not great but good. Mexican and Spanish a la crate were great. Really good steaks at both.
Rooms: comfy beds ( surprising for me Mexico), nice shower heads with good flow, mini bars don't get cold. Clean, but decor is average. Who cares you aren't really in the room.
Staff: excellent. Please note Orlando at the front desk, Jose at the Mexican restaurant and overall everyone was very nice.
Cenote: right across the street !!! This is a fresh water swimming hole. Go to gate turn left ( do not got the first two commercial ones) cristaline cenote. What fun! For like $8 per person.
Activities, etc we did not do but everything looked great.
We just relaxed and read a ton of books at the beach. Great beach!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
moucru; Thank you very much for contacting us through Tripadvisor and the comments you very kindly share about your vacations at Barceló Maya Beach, we are glad that you and your family ejoyed your stay and you found our staff to be hard working and friendly.

We look forward to hositng you again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went in June of 2013 and after reading a few reviews I was a little nervous. That was all for naught. The resort itself has 4 different hotels, in the package that we booked we were able to eat and play at all of them. This offered many different options for pools, buffets, fine dining, activities and tons of beach to play on. It is pretty big and to get anywhere you have to walk, but it's very clean and well maintained and we didn't find walking a hardship at all. There are busses that come every 15 minutes or so and drive between the 4 resorts so you do have that option.

The food in the fine dining was great. However, depending on the day and time of buffet and which one you are at the food was mediocre to great. Honestly the buffets varied so much and they did themes on some nights in some of them. We ate at the fine dining 6 out of 7 dinners and the buffets the rest of the time. There were 2 times that we started at one buffet, didn't like anything so went to another where we were able to find something that we did like. The soda in Mexico in general is wrong so I can't comment much on the soda. We drank a lot of BOTTLED water and alcohol that was included in our stay.

The rooms weren't fancy, but our balcony had a great view. The fridge was always stocked and if you left a note stating you wanted only beer and water they granted your request. The rooms were clean and cool. When you walked out it's almost a surprise as the humidity hit us like a ton of bricks (we're from UT.)
We did snorkeling, canoeing, wind surfing and sailing. All of which was included in the all- inclusive. The have instruction courses for the wind surfing and sailing that are offered at no cost. We also played miniature golf :) There are also kiddie pools and areas, though we didn't look much into them.

The staff was friendly and helpful. They gave us direction when we wanted to go into town. There are also tour companies on site if you want to book outside excursions. We did a few and arrange everything quickly and easily. We did go during off season, but it was quiet and fun. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Brittney S; I would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions of the property and services.

We are happy that we have exceeded your expectations and you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Our goal remains that of serving all of our guests to the best of our ability, to ensure that we are creating unforgettable experiences.

We look forward to serving you again.
Holbrook, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My husband and I booked this trip very last minute, only 5 days prior. After reading many reviews for resorts in Rivera Maya, we picked this one for its high regards for its beach. I will start with check in. When we arrived at the resort we were checking in with Orlando at the front desk. He was friendly, efficient and very personable. We were offered an upgrade to a premium room and went to look at it with Orlando. It was a beautiful room in the COBA building, third floor facing the pool/ocean. (i wish that there wasn't a big palm tree in front of the room, so we could have seen the ocean) The room was large with a king size bed and a hot tub on the balcony. Although the price to upgrade was rather high ($618 additional for 6 nights) my husband decided to do it. I may not have done it. Our room wasn't ready so we went to have lunch at the buffet, which was very good. I have to mention Jesus, my favorite waiter. Jesus had a smile on his face every single day and that smile automatically made me smile. He was so accommodating and helpful every time we were in the buffet during our stay. After that we went to our room and we noticed that the mini bar was not cold, not even cool, it was warm. We called to the front desk and very sooner after that a new mini bar was brought to our room. This one was cool, never really cold, but i have read that on many other reviews, so i think it is just how mini bars work in Mexico. The beach, which was our main reason for picking this hotel, was gorgeous! We snorkeled everyday and saw many many beautiful colorful fish and coral. We snorkeled mostly in front of the Caribe resort along the swimming boundary line ropes. The best was where the left line meets the line that runs parallel with the shore. We also took public transportation (thanks to info from Elizabeth in the premium club. Elizabeth was always so cheerful and helpful with our many questions. She was great!) We walked out to the highway and crossed the road and waited for the bus, which is actually not a bus, it is a white small van that runs along the highway. They will flash their head lights at you and if you want a ride just flag them down. It only costs $30 pesos each person each way. We went to Akumal Beach. After you get off the bus, you have to cross back over the highway with the footbridge and then walk about 15 minutes and you will reach the beach. There are many tours companies to take you snorkeling, but we have our own equipment so we just snorkeled on our own. It was amazing, we saw tons of turtles! Back to Barcelo, we went to several of the restaurants and they were all good, with the steakhouse being our favorite. The salad bar was very good as was the steaks. We had some issues trying to get a hold of the company Olympus Tours that drove us to and from the airport, We had to meet with someone to set up a pick up time and they were never there, but thanks to Isreal, at the bellman podium we were able to get it all straightened out. Isreal is another great Barcelo employee.
The only real problem that we had was that my husband and I both got sick a few days after arriving and spent one full day in our room. We forced ourselves out of the room the next day even though we weren't feeling good. We didn't understand way we had gotten sick, we were careful to drink only bottled water, when we got sick we were drinking coke with lots of ice to try to settle our stomachs.....only to find out that the ice cubes were NOT purified!! We were sick for days and I am still not feeling right. I just wish that we would have been told upon checkin that the ice cubes were not purified....better yet, the ice cubes should be purified!! This is the only reason that would keep me from returning to this beautiful resort. What good is a beautiful resort if you are not feeling well enough to enjoy it completely for your entire vacation. I would like to add that Orlando-front desk, Elizabeth-premium club, Jesus-buffet waiter and Isreal-bellman are all assets to Barcelo Maya. People like them are what truly makes a resort enjoyable .

Room Tip: COBA building is in the perfect spot!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Phyllis10: First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions about your stay, we are glad you and your husband have enjoyed the property and Service, we also want to thank you for finding our staff to be hard working and friendly.

Concerning the ice cubes, upon careful examination of our reports we do not have any other similar incident. I would like to explain that our ice machines are connected to a purified water system and we have periodic inspections and chemical analysis of this water to make sure it is safe for human consumption.

I would like to conclude by assuring you that our goal remains that of serving all of our guests to the best of our ability, to ensure that we are creating unforgettable experiences.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Best Regards,
Minnesota City, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed at the Barceló Mayo Beach in early April with a group of families celebrating our kid’s high school graduation. Our family had 2 premium rooms and we were there for a week so our bill was about $10,000 US. The property is beautiful and in great condition. But I would say the hotel is run by a Spanish company but geared towards Americans. As such they don’t understand that Americans are used to free WIFI even at budget hotels, at Barceló only one person could be on the WIFI per room at a time, not good when you have 2-3 teenagers and 2 adults. Also the satellite TV system is Mexican, so don’t try to watch the NCAA tournament, it is not going to happen, soccer yes, baseball some, the rest of American sports no.
The refrigerators don’t keep anything cold, just slightly cool; it is a Mexican thing I guess. They also only gave most of the people in our group one room key per room, is that is a Spanish thing? Or is it a cheap hotel thing? I was at the front desk and a lady (another guest) said you mean I am spending $5,000 for the room for the week and I only get one key?
The hotel must run on a Spanish software system as it seemed to take forever to convert dollars to pesos if you asked for anything in dollars. The front desk was slow as all get out, probably a bad software or hardware thing. The hotel audit staff seemed to be going through the receipts looking for something under the front desk almost every time I was there. Time to get new software I think!
They don’t recycle anything that I could see, all that bottled water and no recycling; I guess that is a Mexican thing. Sun Screen, potato chips etc., cost an arm and a leg, I think the sun screen cost us $25 per bottle, chips $11 per bag. They were tearing up the mini golf course and the basketball courts while we were there. The buffet food was about the same as an “Old Country Buffet”. Several of the restaurants had really bad food and several of the restaurants had very good food. The staff worked their butts off to be great and fast most of the time. My wife and oldest daughter were sick for 2-3 weeks after we got back, we think it was the frozen drink mixers at the pool side bars, they probably aren’t washed very often. I probably don’t have to worry about going to Mexico and an all-inclusive for a while!

Room Tip: Only 1 WIFI user at a time per room! Pool side rooms & Gulf side rooms are great.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
VacationGuy20014; I would like to thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions, we are glad you and your family enjoyed many aspects of the property and service.

I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.

We will certinaly take on board your comments about WiFi, our mini fridges and room keys to see how we can improve in these areas.

I would like to let you know that we are certainly committed in doing our part for the environment: I am happy to share a few of our efforts on this front.

We have a full recycling program for all types or PET, cardboard and paper, glass, building materials and organic materials, we also have a company that picks up and treats non-recyclable materials, like used oil, paint products, heavy metals and bateries etc. We have LED lighting throughout the hotel.

Our air conditioning chillers have heat exchangers, so the same energy that cools one systems water, preheats the hot water for another system, thus reducing energy use, We have our own water treatment plant, where our residual water undergoes biological processes and once clean, is reused for watering the gardens where it naturally filters back into the fresh water system.

We also use only biodegradable products for cleaning. We actively participate in the Turtle Nesting Program each year.

Of course all of the systems are strictly controlled and in line with local, state and federal legislation.

We adhere to the strict Earthcheck program and are certified for the last 8 years with their gold standard. Earthcheck ia an annual international standardization program for managing our environment.

We are also audited annually as part of the Cristal Check Safety First programs not only for Eco Check – their environment program, but also Food Check – food and beverage preparation and handling hygeine program, and Room Check, safety and hygiene in hotel rooms, I am happy to share that we consistently score above the 95 percentile in these programs.

Cristal also audit us on many other systems such as Fire, Safety, Crisis, Pool and Water, and I would like to assure you that the health and safety of our guests is paramount in our search for excellence.

I can let you know that we have guests of many different tongues, and our standard TV programming includes English, Spanish, Italian, French and Russian. For special sporting events we are more than happy to accomodate if we receive a request from our guests. Where sports are concerned I would also like to share some very exciting news with you – the area that you mention that was undergoing refurbishment, will reopen on December this year and as well as hosting a water park and teen disco for the kids, a static wave surfrider, two new speciality restaurants and a commercial plaza, it will also have a 24 hour sports bar with bowling alley and theatre with high definition huge screen.

Once again many thanks for your comments and for allowing us this space to share our resort with you, please do not hesitate to contact us for any further information.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My wife and I travel a lot, all around the world and have been to several all inclusive resorts and cruises.

We arrived slightly early with a 2 month old hungry and very hot baby and the hotel front staff where completely unaccommodating and not helpful. We had to go back twice to ask where to sit in air conditioning with our baby and their only suggestion to my wife was to nurse the baby at the lobby bar (as the buffet was closed). Or for $800USD we would have gotten upgraded to include the amenities for the adjoining properties.

Worst part was, it turns out that the room was available.

This is definitely a nickle and dime type place... the first giveaway is the $2000 worth of "credits" they give you in the form of coupons to thing you normally would not spend money on, and internet access is not included but an additional $50US/week/person.

As an all inclusive you only get accesses to the a la cart restaurants 4 nights, 3 of which are to the Mexican one, there is only one buffet with limited hours (unless you want to spend an additional upgrade). The decor is drab and motel like at best.

Room Tip: Go to another resort
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
WarrenDenG; Thank you so much for sharing your impressions about Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, I would like to apologise for the incidents you mentioned that meant you were not able to fully enjoy your stay, especially your comments regarding the service and will of our staff, we will certainly use this information to improve our attention to all our guests.

Guest feedback, both negative and positive, are very important for us and are a useful tool to improve our services.

We look forward to have the opportunity to host you again and show you the services from which we have built our reputation.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We recently returned from a 5 day trip for a group of 18 year old high school graduates and their families. There were over 50 in our group ranging in age from 4 to 75. We arrived quite early on a Sunday and they checked us in and held our luggage until the rooms were ready. This is why it is a good idea to take swim suits in your carry on because we saw other people searching through their luggage for their suits. We were able to use the pool, beach and restaurants and when we went to our rooms, our luggage was there waiting for us. Someone from the front desk called up to our rooms a couple of times to check on us and see if everything was satisfactory. Our room was a little warm and I told them so and someone was checking the air conditioner within 20 minutes. Everyone on staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The swim up bar was probably the favorite spot for most of our group, but those of us who wanted to stare at the ocean and listen to the waves were able to do that as well. It wasn't overly crowded anywhere we went. The food was good and the service was really good. We didn't leave the resort because there was plenty to keep us busy for the 5 days. We would definitely go back.

Room Tip: We really did not spend very much time in the room at all. We just got a regular room but some chos...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
ourfamilyof4_4-fun; Thank you for contacting us trough Tripadvisor and share your comments about your experiences at Barceló Maya Beach Resort, we are happy that you and your group have enjoyed the property and services.

It will be a pleasure to serve you again in the future.

Warm regards,
Barcelo Maya Tropical
#6 of 16 in Puerto Aventuras
4.0 of 5 stars 2,210 reviews
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!