“Seriously? Part 2” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Lititz, Pennsylvania
“Seriously? Part 2”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

So this is my second review of Bacelo Maya Beach. I am still guilty of reading tons of reviews before our trip even though this is our fourth time at Barcelo! The other two times we stayed at the Tropical. Once again I have to comment on the crazy things people complain about. Okay, so I get it....THERE ARE NO FACE CLOTHS!!! OMG... haven't you people heard of makeup remover wipes? Or how about this...pack a couple of your own for God's sake! You're on vacation! Have a drink and stop worrying about the lack of face cloths! Okay...on to my review:

This trip we were met by our Daughter and husband who flew in from Naples, Italy and our other Daughter, husband and Granddaughter who flew in from San Diego. Both families are in the U.S. Navy so obviously this trip was very special to us, being all together in one place. My husband and I and our 15 year old son have been to the resort before but this was their first time.

Arrival: I was pleasantly surprised with the friendliness and and efficiency of the front desk staff. This had been an issue in many reviews and we have encountered some problems on past visits. Nice to know Barcelo reads reviews and corrects obvious problems. We were greeted with a drink and and checked in very quickly. We got to the hotel early and couldn't get to our rooms right away, but we were able to go to lunch and have a quick look around.

Rooms: We had basic rooms, which are always fine for us because we spend most of our time at the beach. About 5 days into our 10 day stay it started raining and we had some water leakage into our room so we were moved to a club premium junior suite. My younger daughter was moved into a junior suite on door down also, because their air conditioning wasn't working. Again, the front desk staff was very helpful with making this change. I'm not going to lie, there were definitely some mixups with moving room to room, but overall I felt it was handled well. Our new junior suites were AMAZING! Unfortunately, our room had a musty smell to it, but our daughter's did not. These rooms are beautiful and for basic travelers like us, it was probably appreciated so much more than by people who are used to this type of "fancy" accommodations. One night there was a knock on the door and an employee just showed up with champagne and chocolate covered strawberries!! We aren't exactly the Beverly Hillbillies, but we get really excited over special things and this made our day! Our rooms were cleaned perfectly each day. One day my husband took a nap during the afternoon, and when he woke up we just called the front desk to send someone to clean it, and it was done by the time we got back from the beach.

Pools/Beach:
The beach here is absolutely gorgeous and it's what will keep me coming back year after year. Being able to snorkel right off the beach and pier is so nice. The water was a bit rough while we were there but we were still able to get some snorkeling time in. You can walk end to end, from the beach to the palace every single day and never get tired of the views. The pools are also beautiful and there are fun activities going on during the day. We played bingo and I won a Barcelo.com hat and my son in law won a "dip" with the dolphins! Drinks at the pool bar were great and not too long of a wait time. My son in law decided to try all the daily drink "specials" and we finally decided we liked the "Riviera Maya" the best.

Food:

Very good for an all-inclusive. Anyone who cannot find SOMETHING to eat has to be extremely picky or just an overall miserable person. Some nights are better than others, but I don't think there was ever a day where we felt we didn't have a good meal. We only went to the reservation dinners twice, once at the Spanish open air restaurant, which I hate to say was horrible and the Mexico Lindo, which was good. We ordered wedding cake to celebrate our daughters wedding to be delivered to our table after dinner. There was a mix up, no one knew anything about it, but by the end of our meal, somehow/someway we ended up with a beautiful cake. Most issues we have had at the resort seem to be of a communication nature, so we just try to go with the flow and not get too worked up about it. We did pay 10 dollars a person to eat at the Palace buffet one night and to be honest it didn't seem much better than the our hotel, so in future I would probable just stick to where we are at.

Overall:

Overall we had yet another wonderful trip. I honestly don't know how people can complain about things that don't really matter, like face cloths, but I do think that some people are just impossible to please. If you are looking for a basic, very clean room then you don't need to upgrade to the junior suite. If you like a bit more of a "fancy" feel to your room then by all means go for the Junior suite, we loved it and used the jacuzzi every day!! One suggestion I would make to Barcelo is to have activities for when it rains!!! We had two days of torrential rain and NOTHING to do. Seriously, set up Bingo or anything in the theater. That was the ONE thing that really stood out to us. I can't imagine what people with kids ended up doing. We will definitely be back next year for our anniversary in February and hopefully another time with all the kids again in July.

P.S. Walk across the highway to Cenote Azul and swim in the crystal clear water....amazing!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
missingmyerica; We appreciate your preference to Barceló Maya Beach Resort and the time you have taken to share your impressions about your vacation with the Tripadvisor users, we are very happy that you continue enjoying the property and services and you found the staff to be hard working and friendly.

Guest feedback is very important to us as we know they help us to continue improving our services and encourage us to achieve our goals.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

We just got back from the Barcelo Maya Beach on a family trip (8 of us) without kids. We got a great deal on this hotel so I wasn't expecting anything extravagant, but was pleasantly surprised at the quality of this resort. It's part of a Barcelo complex of three tiers of resorts, this one being the lowest and I assume least expensive. The Maya Beach is also the only one that has been renovated so far, so I would highly recommend staying here over the Palace or Colonial. The lobby is gorgeous and colorful, the rooms are nicely decorated and the grounds are exceptionally clean and well kept. One hint on the rooms is you have to keep your room key in the slot in order for the AC to run the entire time. Our minibar was stocked daily with water, beer, sodas and a few snacks. Maid service was prompt and great. We had a leak in our room on the last day from the room above and it was fixed within an hour of calling. We were in the Tulum building which was quiet and away from the construction at the nearby Caribe being totally renovated. The maid service does start early and they were knocking as early as 8:30am- not great when we wanted to sleep in. One morning one of the maids was singing at the top of his lungs which was very annoying. We went out and told him to quiet down.
Normally I believe we would have had access to the Caribe's a la carte restaurants with our bracelets but since it's under construction, we were only able to go to the two a la carte restaurants at the Maya Beach- Mexico Lindo and Don Quixote one time each. It would have been nice to be able to go to them more than once since we were there for six nights. So we were relegated to the buffet the rest of the nights, which always had a large selection and good food overall. As a family trip, the buffet was fine, but if I was there with my husband only, we wouldn't have wanted to go to the buffet four out of six nights. You do have the option to go to the a la cartes at the other resorts for a fee, which we did not do. We walked through them and they seemed very nice.
The pool and beach were amazing and where we stayed most of the time. Drink service at the pool was amazing from the loungers, but a little slow at the bar. Swim up bar at the pool was always busy but accessible. The waiters at the pool were great- the rest of the staff was a little shy- always eager to say hello but not engage more than that. Water aerobics in the morning and some sort of pool activity around 4pm were always popular and fun.
They had a lot of games by the pool, and the beach activities were a short walk away to the Colonial dock. We rented snorkels and saw a ton of fish, our cousins rented a small sailboat and went out for an hour- all free to resort guests. We also went to the gym a few times- they had all the normal machines and weights, there is also a nice mile long running/walking path outdoors along the pools.
My husband and brother in law did get sick the second to last night after eating at Don Quixote, which I feel is pretty standard for Mexico and I know the hotel will say was not their fault. My husband has a shellfish allergy so I'm assuming that's what it was.
We took a Tulum excursion one morning booked through the hotel concierge which was great and about $70PP which included water, snacks and a great guide. I would definitely recommend that to anyone who hasn't been to the ruins.
All in all a great vacation- would definitely return for the great pool/beach situation.

Room Tip: Tulum building is the farthest from the construction and conveniently located to the pool and beach.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
hkl213; ; Many thanks for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort, and the comments you very kindly share about your vacations through Tripadvisor, we are glad that your stay with us.

I would like to assure that we take all comments very seriously as we know they help us to improve our services.

It would be a pleasure to serve you again in the future.
Coventry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Im traveling a lot, carabian,asia, europe, the best carabian location so far, maybe equal with jamaica, been there with friends, good location, tidy hotel, room maybe dated but clean, you dont go there to stay in room but to have a good time outdoors, good location for excursions too, if you going there the explor is a must place to go, you will love it.

• Stayed May 2014
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Rafal L; Thank you for your stay at Barceló Maya Beach and your comments regarding your vacation, we are glad you have enjoyed the property and services.

Best regards,
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We just returned from our 1 week stay at Barcelo Maya Beach. We like nice sea, beach and that was it. Hotel staff needs to be trained on how to treat hotel guests, I have not seen any attempt being made to answer my questions or to help. I had to pay for premium club to be in the upgraded room, as i walked in a standard room and could not believe my eyes - everything is so run down. We still could not sleep due to loud music next to us, which was not quite relaxing. They also play classic music during the day - and if you want to have a nap - forget about it, not sure why they play it all over the beach and pool area.I appreciate having a choice to be in my room with quite environment.
At last hotel charged my credit card for 2 purchases but still asked us to pay for same things as they could not find any supporting documents for the charges made, I had to show them my bank account but still. They shouted at me at the reception when I was tying to resolve this, I lost 2 hours of my time - still had to pay twice. I do not recommend choosing this resort, lots of improvement has to be made. If you want good food, relaxing holiday - go somewhere else.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
larson_larsonovich; Many thanks for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and for your comments. We are glad that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay, however would like to apologize that everything was not up to the standard you would have liked. The comfort of our guests is of utmost importance to us, and without these comments we could not improve our services

Guest feedback is very important to us as we know they help us to continue improving our services and show us the areas to work.

we remain at your service.
Alberta Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

This was my third time to the area and my second time at the Barcelo(we had been bumped from our resort and stayed here for one night). This was the first time that I brought my sons age 15(twins) to Mexico. We loved it here. The people at the resort were super friendly and helpful. The room was awesome as the set it up instead of couch we had three beds. It was spacious and had a nice deck with clothes line on it. The building we were in was great because we were halfway between the beach/pool area and the lobby where the restaurants were. The bad side of where I room was, was that they were working on the area right behind us and there was construction/tree demos almost every day and they started very early.
The food was good. The buffet at the beach was getting pretty old by the end of the week though. It probably would have been worth the walk back to the lobby for lunch just to have something different. Having said that even eating right there beside pool we would come out and people would be in our chairs.
The al la cartes were fine. The only one I would really recommend is the Japanese one. It was outstanding. The steak house was over rated by far. The front desk lady at the Italian one was rude to us and the food wasn't the best.
We were very lucky as it was very quite at the pool area every day. We went over to the next resort to play giant chess and it was full of spring breakers. The music was blaring and there was drink people everywhere. Which is fine but not while I was on holidays with my boys. We were very happy to get back to our side.
There was not a lot for the boys to do. The activities seemed geared towards either younger or older. That didn't matter to them as they still had a great time.

The one bad thing was how far it was to playa del Carmen. We were told that it was only a $20/US can ride from resort but cost $30 one way and $25 the other. The resort and our travel agency offered "free" transportation to playa, however they would be stopping at a jewelry factory and coffee factory. We weren't really feeling that so we took a cab. If you go into playa enjoy 5th ave but for your shopping go to wal mart
All in all we would go back. I do think we would pick a different resort just to see the difference but I would go back and recommend it to some else

• Stayed March 2014
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Smileykam; Thank you for sharing your experience at Barceló MAya Beach REsort with the Tripadvisor users, we are glad you and your family have enjoyed the property and service, and you found our staff to be friendly and hard working.

Our main goal is to fulfill the expectations of every single guest we have the pleasure to serve, as we want you back home totally satisfied and with the desire to visit us again and only through guest feedback we will be able to achieve this goal.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

We remain at your service.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

My stay: June 28- June 1

Barcelo Maya Beach is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! From the attentive staff to the resort itself, you will be happy that you chose to book with them.

My friend and I were upgraded to a junior suite, so we probably had one of the most updated/fancier rooms on the resort. I mentioned this because should you choose to do so, you will find that the room is fabulous! ( 2 jacuzzi's [ one indoor], HUGE King sized bed, 2 bathrooms with rain showers, 2 balconies, and awesome common area). We left the sliding doors open at night so we could hear the ocean waves.

Drinks & Food on resort-- I'm no food critic, so I won't be too harsh; for resort food, it was fine. I wouldn't recommend that you order alcoholic beverages without asking for a shot on the side as the drinks were bottom shelf and beyond watery. If I'm going to consume calories in liquid form, I need to feel 'great' after a few drinks. Get me? Remember how many shots you've ordered though, because it will creep up on you... :)

Activities: The Tulum adventure - great to learn more about the history/culture of the Mayans, but due to the talkative tour guide, we spent most of our time standing around and less time exploring the area and hitting the beach that was also included in with the package. I was slightly annoyed by this.

Mayan adventure-- Snorkeling, Cenote, and Cavern-- AMAZING!!! You MUST do this. The highlight of the day -for me- was the cavern experience and lunch ( probably the best meal I had during my stay -- fresh, homecooked Mexican food). Armando, our tour guide was great - very friendly and fun. His laid back personality won the crowd over, and therefore the group all wanted to hangout with him. I can tell that he loves his job, and enjoys seeing us [tourists] enjoying his native land. Bring a change of clothes with you if you're not into dining wet as lunch is served following the cavern adventure.

Hands down the best day of my trip and I would do it all over again!

Taxi: My friend and I opted not to do the shuttle to the airport, so we paid for a private ride via Super Shuttle. If you are instructed to see a man named Fernando when you arrive to Barcelo, REFUSE! Yes, Fernando does work at the resort, but everyday we tried to confirm our ride back, he was nowhere to be found. I hate relying on unprofessional people especially when I have prepaid for something. We ended up having to call the 800 number to confirm the trip which cost me money because it was international. So, in a nutshell, Fernando sucks. Insist to see someone else.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Victoria S; Thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach, and the time you kindly have taken to share your impressions about the property and service. We are happy that you have enjoyed your vacation and loved this paradise as we do.

The Guest Feedback is very important to us as we know they are a useful tool to show us the areas to improve and continue creating unforgettable experiences.

Thanks again for your comments and we look forward to serving you again.

Best regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

We were at the barcelo maya beach from May 21-28, 2014 for my cousin's wedding. The hotel was nice and clean. The staff were friendly and usually accommodating. The housekeeping staff didn't always clean the room right away. Sometimes at 5:00 pm it was still not clean. The food at this hotel was mediocre. There was no variety from the lunch to dinner menu. We felt like we were eating the same things all the time. The hotel said they were an "All-Inclusive" hotel yet once we got there we were only allowed to eat at two out of four restaurants. We had to pay for the other two restaurants. The most annoying thing was that there was no free wifi at the hotel. Everywhere else we have stayed offered free wifi at least in the lobby. This was a huge inconvenience to us especially as we need to use wifi to reach family at home and for work. Not sure I would stay at this resort again. For the price we paid it was disappointing.

• Stayed May 2014
Narissakarim; Many thanks for your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, I am sorry that on this occasion the unintentional inconveniences have not allowed you to fully enjoy your Vacation.

I can let you know that all guest comments whether negative or positive are very important to us, as they show us the areas that we need to improve.

We will be happy to receive you again one day with a guarantee that we can exceed your expectations.
Once again many thanks for sharing your comments.
Warm regards

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!