“Great Resort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Ottawa, Canada
“Great Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

Barcelo has there 5 resorts on this one huge property. The check in process was flawless and very friendly. The rooms need some paint but otherwise were nice. They come with a balcony. There are several large pools, so you never felt crowded. The beach is beautiful, with plenty of beach chairs available for everyone. The selection of food in the restaurants was plentiful and flavorful. The buffet restaurant was surrounded by fountains and they had an outdoor area, which was nice but seating was limited. There were plenty of activities, if you desire, and the evening shows were very entertaining. The spa and fitness center were also very nice. They even have a dolphin pool with shows daily & you can even sign up to swim with them. Great resort. Lots to do. We will definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
TonyScorpio; Many thanks for your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, we are very happy that you enjoyed your time with us, we will be pleased to serve you again in the future. Best Regards,

4,579 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Polish first
cranbrook british columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

I have been to the Mayan riviera a few times. Each time I stayed in different places. This is by far the nicest hotel I have been in. We stayed in Uxmal wing of the hotel. Ground floor as great because of all the grass outside your door. The doors had a notice blocker on the bottom and we were not bothered at all by noise in the hall. The bed was hard. The hotel was immaculate and newly renovated. We had no issues with anything. The staff were great too. The internet is super expensive and that would be my major complaint. Beach was long and cleaned every morning, although there seemed to always be little remnants of the night before left there like straws And little garbage, but generally great. If you snorkel end out far enough there were things to see. Lots of chairs and shade for everyone.
The specialty restaurants were really delicious and fancy! Well worth it! The buffet hot dishes were rather redundant whether it was Italian night or Chinese night....but we enjoyed the breakfast and lunches. The resort was full, but I was never overwhelmed with people. The bar pool was rather noisy, but the second pool, though close by was good.
Would definitely return again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
shand3; Thank you for spending your vacation at Barceló Maya Beach and the comments regarding your stay with us, we are pleased to read everytime a guest is happy with our services, it encourage us to continue improving and serving with the best of ourselves. Best regards,
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed from March 2-9, 2014. This was my first trip to Mexico so I wasn't sure what to expect. I have a client who is a travel agent though and she insisted this was be a great place to go for the price. I couldn't agree more. What an amazing week!! Check in was fast and easy. Our room was fine, fridge was always full of water and other beverages. We stayed in the tulum section and faced the garden and walkways. The beach was absolutely beautiful. Although this was the "lower end" section of the whole Barcelo complex this has the best beach section by far. We spent most of our time there with no trouble ever finding chairs no matter what time of day we went down. What I loved most about this trip though was the staff. No matter where you are on the resort you will never meet such amazing hardworking people :) from the minute you wake up they are out sweeping leaves off the walking paths even. The resort in immaculate. Very we'll taken care of. My absolute favorites were Abdi our server in the buffet and Willbert the omelette cook. Seriously made our day every time we seen them. We will certainly return here for our next vacation without hesitation. We did a couple excursions. Tulum to visit the ruins and swimming with the turtle and the cenotes. I can't tell you enough how amazing the turtles were in Akumal. Make you you do this if you plan any excursions at all, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We stayed in Tulum 1157 which was perfect. Close to everything!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Novah B: Thank you for choosing Barceló Maya Beach as your vacation resort and the time you have taken to share your comments with the Tripadvisor users, our main goal is to exceed the expectations of every guest and we are happy to know that we succeed, guest feedback encourage us to keep improving every day our services. Best Regards,
Yarmouth, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

In March of 2014 my husband & I went to Barcelo Maya Beach resort . We had a wonderful time , great food , great staff . Would recommend this resort to any one . We only had one problem while we were there .We were woken up at midnight because they wanted our passport due to a money exchange done that day . Goes without saying we were scared till the issue was settled . I'am sure the issue could have waited till the morning as we were there for 4 more days

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Marcella B; First of all I would like to thank you for spending your vacation at the Barceló Maya Beach Resort, we are glad that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us, however we apologise for the incident you mentioned that meant you were not able to fully enjoy your vacations, only through guest feedback we could be able to improve our weakest areas and wherever possible we are happy to listen and learn. Kind regards,
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Just returned from 7 day stay. Great resort! Very very well maintained, grounds lovely, very clean. Staff very responsive and attentive. Beach expansive - no problem finding a nice place to sit! Pools very nice. Spa/Fitness great layout and wonderful towel and water service in the gym. Pool towel service also very well organized and never a problem keeping up in terms of the supply of towels. Nice selection of beach sports bars/grills to eat at. French a la carte restaurant nice and food very good! Resort size offers a lot of diversity in daily walks/exercise. Nice to have Mexican market on site. Highly recommend this!

Room Tip: We stayed in Maya Beach, Tulum - least expensive but absolutely fine for amount of time spent in roo...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Rumble94; Many thanks for your comments regarding your stay at Barceló Maya Beach Resort, we are pleased that you have enjoyed your time with us, We look forward to having you again in a future. Kind Regards,
British Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Stayed at the resort March 18-25th.

Just spent a beautiful week on the Mayan Riviera at the Barceló Maya Beach. The weather was perfect! My friend and I stayed there in 2009. We arrived in the morning and could not get our rooms until 3:00 pm. The person that checked us in barely spoke a word and I felt was very unfriendly. We checked our luggage and headed down to the beach. We enjoyed lunch at the beach café and returned to the lobby to talk to the desk staff about upgrading to premium. The staff person we spoke to this time was wonderful (Isabella? - I wrote her name down, but lost it) We decided to do this, but in the long run don't think it really gave us anything extra. We were able to go into a different room to book our restaurant dinners and to also check out. So, that may have been the only real perk. A suggestion is to hand guests a brochure that has everything that the Premium upgrade includes on it. The staff just circle everything on a map.

When we were at the Barceló in 2009 we thought the Spanish restaurant was excellent. What a change! It was terrible. The wait staff kept trying to get us to purchase a bottle of wine from the wine menu. When I told him that we wanted house wine, he said they didn't have any. The couple at the next table (who we befriended) were drinking house wine, so I pointed that out and low and behold we got our house wine. I ordered the fish with a garlic sauce and it was lukewarm and salty. I overheard a couple at the table on the other side of us tell the waiter their steaks were cold.

The Mexican Restaurant was lovely. Our server was excellent (sorry, can't remember his name). The service was wonderful and the food was good.

The Steak House was okay. The filet mignon was not filet mignon. It looked like a filet until I started to cut it. It was actually two small pieces of steak sitting on top of each other. We were so rushed. It was like they wanted to get us in and out in 30 minutes. The cheesecake dessert was a big disappointment.

The Japanese Restaurant on our last night was fun. We sat with a nice family. The server enticed me to buy a half bottle of wine for my friend and I and said it was only $10.00. Right! When I went to check out it was $40.00. They offer everyone sake and then want to charge them for it.

We had breakfast at the Beach Buffet each morning. It had lots of food and fresh fruit. I loved the papaya and the yogurt. Wait staff were excellent as were the hostesses at the door.

The Buffet at the Colonial was lovely. We had dinner there our first night and lunch there on our last day. Lots of variety.

The sandy beach is excellent. We never had a problem getting a lawn chair. The ocean was warm and the waves were lots of fun. We had a totally relaxing vacation.

We left tips in our room each day but never did receive the turn down service we got in 2009. One thing that was concerning was the door to the balcony. We were on the 3rd floor. Whenever I was leaving the room I always double checked to ensure the door to our balcony was locked. One morning after breakfast I popped back to the room to pick up a book before heading to the beach. The room had already been made up, which was awesome. I had a bathing suit drying on the balcony on the little contraption that was supplied. When I went to go outside the balcony door was unlocked. That surprised me as I had definitely locked it before I left. I am anal about locking doors. I locked it and went to the beach. The next day, same thing, only this time the table and chairs on the balcony were moved and one of the chairs had been moved over and up against the divider between our balcony and the room next door. I pulled the table and chairs back together. Both mornings I put a 'do not disturb' sign on my door, in case someone was setting up our room for easy access from the balcony -- they would think someone was in the room.

The next morning I moved a chair in front of the balcony door and left a note (in Spanish -- thank you to my translation app) asking them not to unlock the balcony door. We didn't have any issues after that.

We had massages at the spa. My friend asked if there was a special that day, and they said the massages were 2 for 1 -- of course we booked! We booked therapeutic massages, and mine was very disappointing. It wasn't therapeutic at all. It was a relaxation massage -- which I really didn't care for. My friend had a great therapeutic massage so I don't know what happened. The other two women in the change room also had excellent therapeutic massages.

I really did not like the pressure to purchase wine. An all inclusive should be an all inclusive. I don't mind paying extra for the experience, but it has to be worth it and I don't like being nickeled and dimed.

The resort itself is lovely. I was a bit apprehensive about travelling at Spring Break, but there was no need to be. There were lots of families with small children and the resort catered to everyone. There were no loud parties (at least that I heard) and I slept like a baby. If I were to return I would probably stay at the Colonial, Tropical or the Palace.

Pick up and drop off at the hotel went smoothly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
luvs2travelthew0rld; First of all I would like to thank you for spending your vacation at the Barceló Maya Beach, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, however we sincerely apologise for the incidents you mentioned that meant you were not able to fully enjoy your vacations, this situation does not correspond to the service that our Hotel wants to provide to our guest. I can assure you that our goal remains that of serving all of our guests to the best of our ability, to ensure that we are creating unforgettable experiences. We would be grateful to have another opportunity to provide you the level of service from which we want to build our reputation. Best Regards,
Bridgewater, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Travelled: Feb. 24 - Mar. 4/14. We booked with Maritime Travel in Bridgewater Nova Scotia Canada. We were booked through WestJet and had a good flight. BDTravel was our service representative and they shuttled us directly to our resort with only one stop before ours. We were a group of 3 couples and our check in at midnight was quick and efficient. We went for a bite to eat at the 'Tulip Bar' as WestJet doesn't serve a meal during that flight. There were small hot dogs, dry pizza and some fresh veggies to eat...not overly impressive for a 24 hour snack bar. However, we were happy as it wasn't snowing or cold and we had just left Nova Scotia Canada behind for a week!

We had 3 more couples from home join us the following evening. They travelled via SunWing...they wouldn't recommend that to anyone! Their flight time was changed a few weeks before leaving, then their flight was delayed at departure. They had a stopover in Cuba and had to deplane there. Their departure time at the end of their trip was changed and overall they lost a full day of their trip!

Our BDTravel rep's name was Marcela Carrasco and she was awesome. Marcela gave us the low-down on the resort and Mexico in general, she also helped us to book our excursion. We went on a full day excursion; first on a beautiful catamaran which took us on a 2.5hr boat ride out to the Tulum area to go snorkelling. I got to see a sea turtle which was cool. Everything was included, food, drinks and snorkelling gear. We then went to a public beach for about 45 minutes and then were cabbed (by air conditioned van) to the Tulum Ruins for a guided tour. The only unfortunate part of this excursion was that it should have been reversed. We felt that the Tulum visit should have happened first and the boat ride second. You shouldn't be provided the liquor before snorkelling and the Tulum Ruins beach was closing at the time that we arrived at it after our tour, so we couldn't venture down on it. It is absolutely stunning! We paid $130/personUS for this excursion and we feel it was overpriced. We wouldn't recommend this particular excursion - though we had a great day.

I had joined the Maya Beach Resort group on Facebook. I corresponded with them telling them that this was a 25th wedding anniversary trip. When we arrived at our room, to greet us was a complimentary bottle of champagne with two glasses, a beautiful heart shaped chocolate mousse cake, a bottle of liqueur and a greeting letter wishing us well. That was a lovely touch and much appreciated.

Room - Coba building, room 2168. Faced the garden, two double beds, close to the lobby. A fair distance from the pool/beach area. Very quiet at night. A typical 'hotel styled' room...nothing fancy but adequate. (we are a little spoiled from some previous resorts in the DR)

During our 7 day trip we had a few minor complaints, but overall this was a beautiful resort. This was our first trip to Mexico as we have always opted for Dominican Republic (Punta Cana being our favourite). I'll hit on a few our thoughts...

Food - We enjoyed the food for the most part. Sometimes you would have to wait to have a dish replenished. Some dishes were lukewarm - cold when they should have been hot. On occasion it would be difficult to find a clean champagne glass for our mimosa at breakfast...but really, should that be a complaint?! There seemed to be something different for everyone's tastes. The waiters were always ready with a clean table, an offering of a beverage and a smile.

Beach buffet - Rancho Grande - We we would eat our lunch here most days. The burgers were delicious. We went down the beach to the Caribe beach buffet (Captain Morgan) one day to try it. They didn't have as many variety options there and the food didn't seem to be as tasty to us. We also stopped for a beverage at the Caribe pool while there and we weren't impressed with their drink mixes there either.

We went to the Mexican and the Spanish restaurants. The Mexican was good. The Mexican coffee show was cool. The Spanish was okay. The decor in the spanish was tired and needs an update. There didn't seem to be any 'spanish atmosphere' there at all. The service was just 'okay' as well there...the waiter seemed to be over-worked and sad. He appeared to be the only waiter in the entire restaurant!

Shopping - We went into Playa Del Carmen for an afternoon and really enjoyed it. There are 32 blocks of shops there on cobble stoned streets. No vehicles drive in the town. There are a variety of different shops there, varying from high end jewellery and clothing stores to local vendor shops. We visited Senor Frogs restaurant while there and really enjoyed the atmosphere there. I would recommend checking it out. We took an air conditioned van cab there and for $90 ($30/couple) and we had the assurance of having the same cabbie return for us at a set time and place. We were about 20minutes from our resort.

Beach/Pools - The pools are awesome. Very clean and large. We were always able to find loungers late in the afternoon after leaving the beach. The entertainment was very loud at the swim up bar pool area. The entertainers were very good at what they were doing, however we found it to be very repetitive day after day. The same loud music and the same games. We would have liked to have more 'Mexican' type music be played as opposed to the loud base music that was played. I like modern music but that was a bit much.

Trying to get served beverages at the swim up bar and the 'land' bar (both sides) was a challenge. There were times when I waited 15 minutes or more waiting to be served (and yes, I was a daily tipper!). There were sometimes 10-15 people in the lineup at a time waiting to be served. I would suggest more staff be put on this detail.

The showers in the pool are awesome...kind of like being at a spa - getting a massage on your shoulders and back and then hopping into the hot tub - right there in the pool. :) Awesome!

The beach was fantastic. The sand is hard under about an inch of soft, but it is white and the water is beautiful. The beach in front of the "Beach resort" is the nicest. We hit coral a little ways out into the water, but nothing major (you won't need beach shoes there). We could sometimes see little white fish swimming around us right there! The further down the beach you went the more coral there was. When you got to the pier you could snorkel and see hundreds of fish...that was very cool. We took our own snorkel & masks. The beach in front of the Caribe Resort was all coral..you will definitely need beach shoes if you stay there! The most entertainment on the beach that we saw was soccer and bocce ball. The palm trees are plentiful for those that require a bit of shade. It was a lovely beach for walking. There is also a tiled walkway that follows along the beach if you don't wish to walk in the sand.

The workers were constantly picking up garbage/glasses/straws off of the beach and it was swept every morning. We found it to be a very clean beach. The only vendors on the beach were the guys asking if you wanted a temporary tattoo and the guys taking pictures. There were girls up by the pool selling bathing suits and accessories. The water sports/activity centre was down the beach quite aways, by the Tropical/Colonial section - you can sign out boats, water bikes, snorkelling gear etc there.

The resort itself was very well kept and recently updated. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had no issues with our room at all except that I found the sheets to be quite damp from the humidity. The beds were quite comfy, there was a good sized flat screen TV on the wall. Shampoo/Conditioner/Soap dispensers were in the shower. The sink/shower was separated from the toilet by a louvered door. The bar fridge was restocked daily. Our towels were refreshed when we put the sign up to have them done. Take your own facecloths as they don't seem to leave any, our room had none.(apparently some rooms had them and some didn't - and some were not replenished if they used them). I even asked one day and the maid said she had none.

Music/Entertainment - As you walk along the beautiful paths there are little speakers that look like rocks. The music coming from them is 'elevator music'! We would have liked to have had some spanish styled music playing to go with the Mexican atmosphere.

At the tulip bar there is piano entertainment each evening, but that even had a mournful feel to it. Nothing festive there!

We found the theatre shows to be non-interesting and lacking in entertainment. We don't really enjoy an evening of Karaoke - intoxicated people thinking they can sing! The theatre itself however is huge and quite impressive.

We went to the sports bar one evening and that was dead. Only about 3 people there and no wonder why!

Needless to say...There was not much of a night-life happening at this resort.

Overall...the resort is beautiful, the sun is hot, the drinks are cold, the beach is fabulous and our travelling companions were awesome! What more could you ask for?

Would I go back? Yes - tomorrow!! :)

Room Tip: Coba building (room 2168) 1st floor, very quiet, close to lobby and faces garden. Good location over...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
David James N, Director General at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
SunTanGirl2014;First of all I would like to thank you for spending your vacation at the Barceló Maya Beach Resort, also we appreciated for the valuable time you have taken to share you experience with us, we take all comments very seriously as we know they help us to improve our services. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to serving you again in a future.

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!