“2nd time at the Maya Beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
British Columbia
“2nd time at the Maya Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

Stayed at the resort March 18-25th.

Just spent a beautiful week on the Mayan Riviera at the Barceló Maya Beach. The weather was perfect! My friend and I stayed there in 2009. We arrived in the morning and could not get our rooms until 3:00 pm. The person that checked us in barely spoke a word and I felt was very unfriendly. We checked our luggage and headed down to the beach. We enjoyed lunch at the beach café and returned to the lobby to talk to the desk staff about upgrading to premium. The staff person we spoke to this time was wonderful (Isabella? - I wrote her name down, but lost it) We decided to do this, but in the long run don't think it really gave us anything extra. We were able to go into a different room to book our restaurant dinners and to also check out. So, that may have been the only real perk. A suggestion is to hand guests a brochure that has everything that the Premium upgrade includes on it. The staff just circle everything on a map.

When we were at the Barceló in 2009 we thought the Spanish restaurant was excellent. What a change! It was terrible. The wait staff kept trying to get us to purchase a bottle of wine from the wine menu. When I told him that we wanted house wine, he said they didn't have any. The couple at the next table (who we befriended) were drinking house wine, so I pointed that out and low and behold we got our house wine. I ordered the fish with a garlic sauce and it was lukewarm and salty. I overheard a couple at the table on the other side of us tell the waiter their steaks were cold.

The Mexican Restaurant was lovely. Our server was excellent (sorry, can't remember his name). The service was wonderful and the food was good.

The Steak House was okay. The filet mignon was not filet mignon. It looked like a filet until I started to cut it. It was actually two small pieces of steak sitting on top of each other. We were so rushed. It was like they wanted to get us in and out in 30 minutes. The cheesecake dessert was a big disappointment.

The Japanese Restaurant on our last night was fun. We sat with a nice family. The server enticed me to buy a half bottle of wine for my friend and I and said it was only $10.00. Right! When I went to check out it was $40.00. They offer everyone sake and then want to charge them for it.

We had breakfast at the Beach Buffet each morning. It had lots of food and fresh fruit. I loved the papaya and the yogurt. Wait staff were excellent as were the hostesses at the door.

The Buffet at the Colonial was lovely. We had dinner there our first night and lunch there on our last day. Lots of variety.

The sandy beach is excellent. We never had a problem getting a lawn chair. The ocean was warm and the waves were lots of fun. We had a totally relaxing vacation.

We left tips in our room each day but never did receive the turn down service we got in 2009. One thing that was concerning was the door to the balcony. We were on the 3rd floor. Whenever I was leaving the room I always double checked to ensure the door to our balcony was locked. One morning after breakfast I popped back to the room to pick up a book before heading to the beach. The room had already been made up, which was awesome. I had a bathing suit drying on the balcony on the little contraption that was supplied. When I went to go outside the balcony door was unlocked. That surprised me as I had definitely locked it before I left. I am anal about locking doors. I locked it and went to the beach. The next day, same thing, only this time the table and chairs on the balcony were moved and one of the chairs had been moved over and up against the divider between our balcony and the room next door. I pulled the table and chairs back together. Both mornings I put a 'do not disturb' sign on my door, in case someone was setting up our room for easy access from the balcony -- they would think someone was in the room.

The next morning I moved a chair in front of the balcony door and left a note (in Spanish -- thank you to my translation app) asking them not to unlock the balcony door. We didn't have any issues after that.

We had massages at the spa. My friend asked if there was a special that day, and they said the massages were 2 for 1 -- of course we booked! We booked therapeutic massages, and mine was very disappointing. It wasn't therapeutic at all. It was a relaxation massage -- which I really didn't care for. My friend had a great therapeutic massage so I don't know what happened. The other two women in the change room also had excellent therapeutic massages.

I really did not like the pressure to purchase wine. An all inclusive should be an all inclusive. I don't mind paying extra for the experience, but it has to be worth it and I don't like being nickeled and dimed.

The resort itself is lovely. I was a bit apprehensive about travelling at Spring Break, but there was no need to be. There were lots of families with small children and the resort catered to everyone. There were no loud parties (at least that I heard) and I slept like a baby. If I were to return I would probably stay at the Colonial, Tropical or the Palace.

Pick up and drop off at the hotel went smoothly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
DirectorBeachCaribe, Gerente at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
luvs2travelthew0rld; First of all I would like to thank you for spending your vacation at the Barceló Maya Beach, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, however we sincerely apologise for the incidents you mentioned that meant you were not able to fully enjoy your vacations, this situation does not correspond to the service that our Hotel wants to provide to our guest. I can assure you that our goal remains that of serving all of our guests to the best of our ability, to ensure that we are creating unforgettable experiences. We would be grateful to have another opportunity to provide you the level of service from which we want to build our reputation. Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Polish first
Bridgewater, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Travelled: Feb. 24 - Mar. 4/14. We booked with Maritime Travel in Bridgewater Nova Scotia Canada. We were booked through WestJet and had a good flight. BDTravel was our service representative and they shuttled us directly to our resort with only one stop before ours. We were a group of 3 couples and our check in at midnight was quick and efficient. We went for a bite to eat at the 'Tulip Bar' as WestJet doesn't serve a meal during that flight. There were small hot dogs, dry pizza and some fresh veggies to eat...not overly impressive for a 24 hour snack bar. However, we were happy as it wasn't snowing or cold and we had just left Nova Scotia Canada behind for a week!

We had 3 more couples from home join us the following evening. They travelled via SunWing...they wouldn't recommend that to anyone! Their flight time was changed a few weeks before leaving, then their flight was delayed at departure. They had a stopover in Cuba and had to deplane there. Their departure time at the end of their trip was changed and overall they lost a full day of their trip!

Our BDTravel rep's name was Marcela Carrasco and she was awesome. Marcela gave us the low-down on the resort and Mexico in general, she also helped us to book our excursion. We went on a full day excursion; first on a beautiful catamaran which took us on a 2.5hr boat ride out to the Tulum area to go snorkelling. I got to see a sea turtle which was cool. Everything was included, food, drinks and snorkelling gear. We then went to a public beach for about 45 minutes and then were cabbed (by air conditioned van) to the Tulum Ruins for a guided tour. The only unfortunate part of this excursion was that it should have been reversed. We felt that the Tulum visit should have happened first and the boat ride second. You shouldn't be provided the liquor before snorkelling and the Tulum Ruins beach was closing at the time that we arrived at it after our tour, so we couldn't venture down on it. It is absolutely stunning! We paid $130/personUS for this excursion and we feel it was overpriced. We wouldn't recommend this particular excursion - though we had a great day.

I had joined the Maya Beach Resort group on Facebook. I corresponded with them telling them that this was a 25th wedding anniversary trip. When we arrived at our room, to greet us was a complimentary bottle of champagne with two glasses, a beautiful heart shaped chocolate mousse cake, a bottle of liqueur and a greeting letter wishing us well. That was a lovely touch and much appreciated.

Room - Coba building, room 2168. Faced the garden, two double beds, close to the lobby. A fair distance from the pool/beach area. Very quiet at night. A typical 'hotel styled' room...nothing fancy but adequate. (we are a little spoiled from some previous resorts in the DR)

During our 7 day trip we had a few minor complaints, but overall this was a beautiful resort. This was our first trip to Mexico as we have always opted for Dominican Republic (Punta Cana being our favourite). I'll hit on a few our thoughts...

Food - We enjoyed the food for the most part. Sometimes you would have to wait to have a dish replenished. Some dishes were lukewarm - cold when they should have been hot. On occasion it would be difficult to find a clean champagne glass for our mimosa at breakfast...but really, should that be a complaint?! There seemed to be something different for everyone's tastes. The waiters were always ready with a clean table, an offering of a beverage and a smile.

Beach buffet - Rancho Grande - We we would eat our lunch here most days. The burgers were delicious. We went down the beach to the Caribe beach buffet (Captain Morgan) one day to try it. They didn't have as many variety options there and the food didn't seem to be as tasty to us. We also stopped for a beverage at the Caribe pool while there and we weren't impressed with their drink mixes there either.

We went to the Mexican and the Spanish restaurants. The Mexican was good. The Mexican coffee show was cool. The Spanish was okay. The decor in the spanish was tired and needs an update. There didn't seem to be any 'spanish atmosphere' there at all. The service was just 'okay' as well there...the waiter seemed to be over-worked and sad. He appeared to be the only waiter in the entire restaurant!

Shopping - We went into Playa Del Carmen for an afternoon and really enjoyed it. There are 32 blocks of shops there on cobble stoned streets. No vehicles drive in the town. There are a variety of different shops there, varying from high end jewellery and clothing stores to local vendor shops. We visited Senor Frogs restaurant while there and really enjoyed the atmosphere there. I would recommend checking it out. We took an air conditioned van cab there and for $90 ($30/couple) and we had the assurance of having the same cabbie return for us at a set time and place. We were about 20minutes from our resort.

Beach/Pools - The pools are awesome. Very clean and large. We were always able to find loungers late in the afternoon after leaving the beach. The entertainment was very loud at the swim up bar pool area. The entertainers were very good at what they were doing, however we found it to be very repetitive day after day. The same loud music and the same games. We would have liked to have more 'Mexican' type music be played as opposed to the loud base music that was played. I like modern music but that was a bit much.

Trying to get served beverages at the swim up bar and the 'land' bar (both sides) was a challenge. There were times when I waited 15 minutes or more waiting to be served (and yes, I was a daily tipper!). There were sometimes 10-15 people in the lineup at a time waiting to be served. I would suggest more staff be put on this detail.

The showers in the pool are awesome...kind of like being at a spa - getting a massage on your shoulders and back and then hopping into the hot tub - right there in the pool. :) Awesome!

The beach was fantastic. The sand is hard under about an inch of soft, but it is white and the water is beautiful. The beach in front of the "Beach resort" is the nicest. We hit coral a little ways out into the water, but nothing major (you won't need beach shoes there). We could sometimes see little white fish swimming around us right there! The further down the beach you went the more coral there was. When you got to the pier you could snorkel and see hundreds of fish...that was very cool. We took our own snorkel & masks. The beach in front of the Caribe Resort was all coral..you will definitely need beach shoes if you stay there! The most entertainment on the beach that we saw was soccer and bocce ball. The palm trees are plentiful for those that require a bit of shade. It was a lovely beach for walking. There is also a tiled walkway that follows along the beach if you don't wish to walk in the sand.

The workers were constantly picking up garbage/glasses/straws off of the beach and it was swept every morning. We found it to be a very clean beach. The only vendors on the beach were the guys asking if you wanted a temporary tattoo and the guys taking pictures. There were girls up by the pool selling bathing suits and accessories. The water sports/activity centre was down the beach quite aways, by the Tropical/Colonial section - you can sign out boats, water bikes, snorkelling gear etc there.

The resort itself was very well kept and recently updated. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We had no issues with our room at all except that I found the sheets to be quite damp from the humidity. The beds were quite comfy, there was a good sized flat screen TV on the wall. Shampoo/Conditioner/Soap dispensers were in the shower. The sink/shower was separated from the toilet by a louvered door. The bar fridge was restocked daily. Our towels were refreshed when we put the sign up to have them done. Take your own facecloths as they don't seem to leave any, our room had none.(apparently some rooms had them and some didn't - and some were not replenished if they used them). I even asked one day and the maid said she had none.

Music/Entertainment - As you walk along the beautiful paths there are little speakers that look like rocks. The music coming from them is 'elevator music'! We would have liked to have had some spanish styled music playing to go with the Mexican atmosphere.

At the tulip bar there is piano entertainment each evening, but that even had a mournful feel to it. Nothing festive there!

We found the theatre shows to be non-interesting and lacking in entertainment. We don't really enjoy an evening of Karaoke - intoxicated people thinking they can sing! The theatre itself however is huge and quite impressive.

We went to the sports bar one evening and that was dead. Only about 3 people there and no wonder why!

Needless to say...There was not much of a night-life happening at this resort.

Overall...the resort is beautiful, the sun is hot, the drinks are cold, the beach is fabulous and our travelling companions were awesome! What more could you ask for?

Would I go back? Yes - tomorrow!! :)

Room Tip: Coba building (room 2168) 1st floor, very quiet, close to lobby and faces garden. Good location over...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
David James N, Director General at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
SunTanGirl2014;First of all I would like to thank you for spending your vacation at the Barceló Maya Beach Resort, also we appreciated for the valuable time you have taken to share you experience with us, we take all comments very seriously as we know they help us to improve our services. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to serving you again in a future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

My fiance and I stayed here Mar 16-30, 2014. We booked with a travel agent and travelled with West Jet. Service at this hotel was professional, check in was fast, room was clean and kept that way, staff were friendly and polite, and resort grounds were well maintained. We ate only at the buffet but had the option of two al a carte restraunts, food was good (sometimes a bit cold). Beach was lovely and pool area was clean and pool staff/entertainment were amusing. Since we travelled during Spring Break the resort was busy but they did a good job keeping up. Our suggestions would be that they should have pool and beach toys for kids and adults such as boogie boards, stuff to build sand castles and floating toys. The bar staff are good and if you bring your own thermos cup they will fill it with whatever you want! We really have no complaints about the resort. We did a few excursions with BD Travel, they were professional and informative when it came to booking. We did three excursions and all were well organized, fun and interesting.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
asistentedireccion, Director General at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Morgen G; First of all, I would like to thank you for spending your vacation at the Barceló Maya Beach Resort, we take all comments very seriously as we know they help us to improve our services and wherever is possible, we are happy to listen and learn. I would like to conclude by assuring you that our goal remains that of serving all of our guests to the best of our ability, to ensure that we are creating unforgettable experiences. Best regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

I just returned a few days ago from my trip to Mexico. Our room was in The Barcelo Maya Beach, we booked through our travel agent thus really had no idea there were levels of resorts. For the 3 of us on our first stay the Beach resort was fine for us. The check in was a bit confusing although being in a different country I expect this. We arrived around 1pm and also could not get our room until 3pm. The wait was not bad as it allowed us to wander over to the Beach Buffet and grab a bite to eat. We had been up since 3am traveling so this was great timing for us. Once we got our room I really can't complain about the room itself, now the balcony view was facing the back of the resort so that was a bit disappointing as we were expecting a better view. After a few moments of discussion we decided the balcony view wasn't that bad as we truly were not in our room much other than to sleep. Our room was clean. I am in my 40's and took this trip with my 20yr old daughter and 23yr old cousin. When I booked with the travel agency I requested a place that was NOT a "spring break" only atmosphere. As this was my daughters spring break. I have to say that the staff work sooooo hard. The staff were Constantly cleaning and keeping the resort looking very clean. My daughter made a comment she watched as a room was cleaned and was very impressed as they moved all the furniture and cleaned everything. Almost every staff member we encountered really appeared to enjoy their jobs and truly wanted to make your stay enjoyable and memorable. With that said the 2 places that I feel need to work on their dispositions is the guest services resource center where you can go to book your restaurant dinner, get internet etc and the front desk. These 2 areas are the first impressions for us if the resort and I truly wish they had the same smiles as the other staff but they did not. Honestly in the guest services office at one time one staff member made me feel as a nuisance, I decided to overlook that as the other staff more than made up for her rude personality.
I feel at this resort there was a good mix between entertaining the younger crowd poolside with games etc like the spring break crowd and also making the "older" non spring break aged crowd comfortable. Anyone that complains about entertaining the younger crowd probably needs to step back and re-think what time of year they are there, it's a no brainer it's spring break for many, book a different time of year if that bothers you. It wasn't crazy it was actually entertaining at times. They had lots of activities yoga on the beach every morning water aerobics dancing poolside, trivia they really made it fun. The entertainer staff were wonderful! Antonio, Sara and mark Anthony were our favorites :) I will also say they do need more help at the bar and maybe more staff walking around taking drink orders on the beach and pool side.
The food was good, there was a huge variety and they tried to cater to many cultures. It is a buffet and for a buffet it far exceeded our expectations. If there was something you didn't see and asked about they got it for you! The restaurants were ok we found the Mexican to be better than the Spanish. The shows were very good! Overall we had an awesome time and will definitely be back with a much larger group next time :) thank you for making out first trip to Mexico relaxing fun and memorable.

Stayed April 2014
asistentedireccion, Director General at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
jaynajeanette: Many thanks for your contact, and your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, we are very happy that you and your family enjoyed your time with us.
only through customer feedback, we are able to improve our services and wherever possible we are happy to listen and learn. Kind regards,
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed in room 3341 at Beach from March 18th to 25th and had a great vacation. We travelled with extended family that ranged from grandparents to my kids that are five and three. The ride to the property was about 90 minutes – not ideal but definitely tolerable. We had a coach on the way there and a van on the way home.

I read a bunch of reviews here in the weeks leading up to our trip and didn't see too many that referred to young kids. That made me a little nervous but as it turned out it couldn't have been better. It's not like the resort is specifically geared towards kids, but there was more than enough to entertain them and they strike a nice balance between being both kid- and adult-friendly. There were quite a few kids there but not really that many.

Our room was great, as were the three others in our group. Many reviews here recommended the Uxmal building and also recommended the third floor. When I called to request to have the four rooms together I also asked for third floor in Uxmal and they were able to accommodate that. The one potential issue for our room was that it was on the theatre side of the building, so the music could be head inside our room until around 11pm. It didn’t bother us since we’re all heavy sleepers, but if you or your kids will be bothered by the noise I’d recommend one of the other two buildings. At a minimum make sure you’re on the other side of Uxmal. Definitely, definitely bring an old gift card to keep the a/c activated when you’re not in the room! The beds were okay and the only minor complaint I could have was that I couldn’t find a pillow that was comfortable for me.

There were two waterslide areas that were kids’ paradises. One was relatively close to Beach, between Caribe and Colonial, no more than a seven or eight minute walk at little-kid-speed. The other was at the Palace resort, all the way at the other end. We did spend one morning by the slides at Palace but the two were basically the same so we didn’t go back. Palace was a pretty far trek for the little ones, and our bracelets didn’t allow us to get food or drinks in that area so we headed back to the other area when lunchtime rolled around.

The resort was full when we were there – they didn’t even offer us any upgrades on check-in – but there were literally hundreds of free lounge chairs all over the beach. They were a little tougher to come by around the pools but we always managed to find at least three or four together in the area we were looking, and we never made it to the pool before 9:30 or 10.

We sailed on the catamarans almost every. They do book up quickly so if you’re not there by 9:30 you’ll likely miss out. I’m a pretty experienced (though admittedly rusty) sailor and the Hobie Cats they have there are perfect for the job. The wide stance, small sail and lack of a boom make the boats safe for pretty much anyone to take out for a spin. We were out in some pretty windy, wavy conditions and the boats handled it with complete ease. The kids loved the rolling waves and having the water come over the bow and splash them in the face.

The food at the buffet was very good and there was always something to keep everyone happy. Made-to-order omelets and eggs were available at two stations for breakfast and the lines were never too long. At lunch we always ate at the smaller buffer by the pool. They mixed it up by having a different food theme every night. The kids buffet was hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken fingers and fries for dinner pretty much every day. We were able to avoid that for the most part but it was nice to have a “safe” option to fall back on when we needed to. Older kids might not be so easy to distract ;)

My brother-in-law, father-in-law and I rented Sea Doos one afternoon and it was a blast! Half an hour costs you $65 (either US or Canadian, so bring your Canuck Bucks) and you need a credit card for the damage deposit. Remember that it gets windier and wavier as the day goes on. We went out at 3pm to maximize hang time but if you want a smoother ride the morning would probably be better.

We also did the Segway tour of the resort, which was fun. One of the people on the tour with had a bit of a crash but luckily he wasn’t hurt. Make sure you’re careful when you’re on them!

Tipping was optional and didn’t affect service too much but it did help out. Because we had the kids with us we weren’t overindulging but we’d go to the swim-up bar a few times in the afternoon. The kids liked virgin pina coladas and mango daiquiris and the parents enjoyed some of the non-virgin variety. Anyway, service was fine but I didn’t have any money with me in the pool so I couldn’t tip. As we were leaving for the day we walked by there so I gave the bartender $5 and said thanks for the service. He really seemed to appreciate it and the next day I seemed to get served a little more quickly. I made a habit of doing that for the rest of the trip. The man’s name was Martin and he was awesome even before I had tipped him, so treat him nice!

All in all it was a great trip. The kids had the time of their lives and were asleep before their heads hit their pillows every evening. We’re already talking about going back there next year!

Room Tip: 3rd floor in Uxmal was great but one side of the building is close to the theatre, so you can hear m...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Sliver24: First of all I would like to thank you for spending your vacation at Barceló Maya Beach Resort, also, many thanks for your full review and your comments which are very important for us. we are pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, Our goal remains that of serving all of our guests to the best of our ability, to ensure that we are creating unforgettable experiences. Looking forward to serve your again in the future.
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

We got back a week ago from our stay at Barcelo Maya Beach. We are a family of 6, and our kids are all adults. The oldest didn't go this time. We had two rooms in the Coba, and we opted to put our daughters in a Club Premium room with poolside first floor location and WIFI included. There is a hot tub on their deck, which we used every day.
Check in was lengthy though we were the only people checking in at 1 PM. Had to wait til 3 to get our keys for the rooms, and they would only give us two keys even though we had 3 in our room. When I asked for another key the clerk told me no, we weren't allowed more than two keys. Then she said "Maybe tomorrow." This seems to be common Mexican logic... :) When we came back at 3, it took another half hour to get the keys. Long line, and there were people walking around behind the desk but they had no interest in helping anyone. There's quite a difference in service between the front desk and the rest of the resort. They really need to work on the attitude of the desk people.
The rooms were fine, though there were bugs in the Club Premium room. Hey, it's on the first floor in a tropical area. We spent most of our days by the pool, though we had a couple of calm days that were nice to get in the ocean. They have some water equipment like kayaks and these big bicycle trikes that float. The kayaks need back rests, and the trikes pedal funny, way too much work. So we didn't go back to them. We brought some snorkeling gear, and the reef by the Palace on the north end of the beach has some white fish and some smaller yellow and black striped fish that go crazy if you give them a little bread. I also briefly saw a sea turtle that some kids came across, but the water was a little murky from the windy waves that day. Pretty neat to have that right on the property, it's a great beach.
The food was just OK, and as someone else reported, the pizza is really bad. I also had a pork chop that had the consistency of shoe leather, though another day I had one that was pretty good. They are very good about cleanliness, and I heard no reports of illness.
They also could use more bartenders at the pool bar certain times of the day, but it doesn't seem to be well monitored. So you might get thirsty around noon if you're looking for a drink.
The shows at night are very nice, they have some excellent performers. Singing, dancing, athletic gymnastic acts, and a couple of really good house bands are something to look forward too. I made the mistake of siting in on karaoke one night, and I'm still suffering from that memory. But the professional entertainers that the hotel hires are wonderful.
One day we went across the highway and a little bit south to the Cristallo (spelling?) cenote, and that was very entertaining. It's a little sketchy to walk the highway, but if you're careful you'll survive. I wouldn't want to bring little ones out in that situation. There is a jungle like woods with palm trees and a neat path, and the pools have really clear water. I read on the internet (the Unofficial Barcelo Maya forum) that it cost $3, but it was $8. So were were short a few dollars, but the price apparently was negotiable.
We used USA Transfers, and they did a professional and prompt job of privately taking my family in a van from and to the airport.
It's a really beautiful property, and aside from an apathetic and slow front desk, the staff are really nice. This was our third trip there, and we missed the old open lobby bar that people congregated around. It was easier to visit with the bartenders and rub elbows with other guests. We went one night to the Caribe next door just for the lobby bar. The new bar is beautiful but less convenient in a social way.
We did have air conditioning trouble our last couple of days, and I got a guy in who tinkered with it, but he didn't speak English and I don't think he understood that it didn't get cool. He got the blower working, and that really satisfied him. And we couldn't get him back. Hey, it's Mexico. "Manana".....
If the price doesn't go up, we'll probably be back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
asistentedireccion, Director General at Barcelo Maya Beach, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear gringo; First of all I would like to thank you for spending your vacation at the Barceló Maya Beach Resort, we are glad that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, however, I would like to apologise for the incidents you mentioned that meant you were not able to fully enjoy your vacations. We take all comments very seriously as we know they help us to improve our services and wherever possible we are happy to listen and learn. Kind regards,
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I have been to the Mayan many times and stayed at all sorts of different properties. This was absolutely heads above anywhere else we have ever stayed. The property itself ( we stayed at the Deluxe property) was one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever seen. So glamorous, but in a very "casual elegance" sort of way. Open to fresh air and views of the ocean from almost every place on the property. Lovely little places to sit with some of the most beautiful art and colours I have ever seen. Service was impeccable. Every single staff member was charming and warm and very attentive. Best service we have ever had. Pool, beach and property were pristine. Not a thing out of place, or a scrap of dirt to be found. The beach was out of heaven. Dining facilities were beautiful,with fresh ocean breezes and views of the ocean. Absolutely a world class resort and experience!!!

Room Tip: We had a room away from the pool as there were sometimes little ones in there as early as 7am. Only...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Dear Susan S; First of all, thanks for your contact, and your comments regarding your stay at Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, we are very happy that you and your family enjoyed your time with us, I will make sure the staff from Barceló Maya Palace Deluxe receive your comments. Kind regards,

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!