“Decent Week at Barcelo Maya Beach” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Grimsby, Canada
“Decent Week at Barcelo Maya Beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

A group of us went to the Barcelo Maya Beach from March 25-April 1st. My friend was getting married and I have to say they were well prepared. She decided on getting married at the palace which was outdoors but more formal than the beach. There was a covered gazebo for the wedding party and stunning views. The reception was at Ranche Grande and the food was pretty good. The lobster tail was a bit over cooked and the Tenderloin the same, but the service was excellent.
Now, as for the resort. This is our 5th time to the Riviera so some experience with what we like and don't like.
Check-in and check-out, painfully long. They must find a way to stream line this. Even if you email them and you are standing there as a couple don't assume you will get a king room, you must ask. In our group of 20, a few rooms were mixed up, but worked out amongst the group as some were couples and others there with friends/family etc.
We were in Tulum 1364. I found the bed fine, although we do have a firm mattress. Pillows were a bit thick and firm. The bathroom although a bit worn was good, nice rain shower and no problems with water temp or pressure at all. The room is a good size with a small balcony and dry rack which was handy. The A/C worked well and lots of closet, but not too much drawer space. Fridge was stocked daily, but never really cold. Overall, room was good.

The beach especially at our resort and the Caribe were gorgeous. Very warm water, but lots of coral patches, so water shoes may be a good idea. It was a nice walk from our end to the Palace end. We liked how close all the properties were on this resort. There was transpo, but found we could easily walk anywhere without much time or effort. We were at the Grand Palladium last year and found you had to take the trolly everywhere, so I really liked this about the Barcelo.
There were lots of chairs at the beach, but if you wanted a prime spot, as usual had to be up at dawn to "reserve" with towels etc. This was a big problem at the pool as the resort was full and most chairs were reserved by 7:30 am. This really irks me when some people don't even use them all day!!!
Anyway, there is a fantastic and quiet spot away from the resort on the beach with tonnes of chairs and solitude. I loved that part, also a bathroom close by.
The pool was nice, not deep. It isn't heated, but by mid day that's what you want.
We didn't take our kids this time, but noted a decent kid's club and several splash pad/water parks at the various resorts on the properly.
The bars are few and far between. They really need something closer to the beach as alot of people park there all day. Even if it's a small hut with water, pop and beer. Also, there was only one towel station, but they did open early which was great.
Now, for the negatives....
I abhor wearing bracelets. It is soooo annoying. I also don't appreciate paying for a resort and not being able to get reservations for the a la cartes that barely seem to be open. We arrived on Monday. Early Tuesday I attempted reservations and only got 2. The steak house is only open until Wed. and was fully booked and the seafood restaurant only had a 9:30 time on the Saturday.
I don't find it relaxing to have to compete to eat!
The buffet in the morning was ok. I noticed there was no toaster to toast your own bread, bagels etc. The toast was pre done and quite awful. My husband had an omelette everyday which he enjoyed, but I found everyday it was the same old stuff. The waffles and french toast were always cold. Pretty much lived on donuts all week. Also had to wait ages for coffee everyday that was only luke warm.
At lunch mostly ate at the beach grill. Decent cheeseburgers, but lacking in good salad options. Most people like a cool crisp salad on a hot day, but there was not much variety or choice. I did like the self serve beer/wine and ice cream though. They could make up some pasta/grain salads or even caesar salads that would improve things. Only ate at the buffet for lunch the day we left, and it was quite good at lunch.
The buffet at dinner....well. The food actually tasted ok but was never hot. Although, we didn't have the kids it seemed like their choices were lacking. Other resorts have had a big kids buffet section, but this was a measly small place with a few nuggets and fries. They could get pasta and pizza at the main buffet every night though.
Overall, the food was just average. The service was quite good except at breakfast. We were often waiting 10 or more minutes for coffee, but the a la cartes had quite good service..
Compared to Dreams, Grand Palladium and Karisma resorts the food quality/selection/options were the lowest.
I had my hair done for the wedding at the spa. They did a decent job, but very expensive
($110).
We ventured to Tulum and Playa del Carmen using the Collectivos which were fantastic. Very clean, a/c and cheap. Cost $4 to Tulum and $3 to Playa as opposed to $23 in a taxi.

Played tennis a few times, but never able to do the golf as it was always busy. My hubby used the gym everyday which he liked was open air, but does get quite warm. They have steam and sauna rooms which were nice, but the hot tub was cold some mornings and drained fully another time we were there. The gym was quite busy in the early mornings, but less in the afternoon. We kayaked a few times which was lots of fun and the guys at the water were great. They weren't restrictive and you could stay out as long as you liked.

After the wedding we hit Jaguar's Club which was a blast. Lots of young people, but we enjoyed the music as 40 somethings and anytime there were spills, cleaned up ASAP and good security.

The one major issue we had was the first night my friend's mom fell on the VERY SLIPPERY walkway to dinner after a major rain storm and bonked her head quite badly. The front desk had no first aid kit, but she was able to see the doctor right away. The front desk staff did not seem to know what to do. They made her take a taxi to the hospital in Playa. I feel this is one thing the management at the Barcelo needs to address. You need to have a plan in place for people who are or could be seriously injured at the resort. So beware if it rains when you are there the walkways are literally a skating rink.
Overall, we had a decent week. I likely would not return to this resort as the things I mentioned (bracelets, food reservations etc.) made it a more stressful vacation, but if you got a good deal and made sure you reserved meals and chairs early you will likely have a good time. There were lots of large groups there of teenagers who I assume were there with parents, but lacked supervision. I guess it would be ideal for these groups.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor which was generally more quiet. I don't think it's worth paying fo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
  • Polish first
Solana Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I came to Barcelo Maya for our honeymoon during the month of October. It was by far the most amazing trip we have ever taken. The grounds were gorgeous, pools spectacular and the all inclusive food was delicious.

Rooms: Extremely clean and has everything that you need. Flat screen TV, nice bathroom, toiletries, etc. The only downfall was the comfort of the beds. If you like a firm bed then you are golden. It is definitely not a pillow top mattress! Stocked mini fridge daily with everything you could ever need should you get thirsty/hungry late at night. Upon arrival we had a bottle of champagne and a fruit basket waiting for us which as a very nice touch. We had a view of the gorgeous garden surrounding the property. Honestly we didn't spend much time in our room at all so it didn't really matter how nice the room was.

Food: SOOO GOOD. My husband and I are definitely foodies and we really enjoyed every meal that we had. Although we had the all inclusive buffet most nights we also had meal tickets to enjoy some of the restaurants around the resort which was so nice. The only bummer was that not all of the restaurants were open that we wanted to visit. Overall, we were totally satisfied.

The Experience: AMAZING! We loved every minute of our trip. From relaxing on the beach and in the pool, to the entertainment, to the friendly amazing staff. It was wonderful. We had fun exploring this massive resort which had multiple hotels within the resort. Even though I am not sure if we were supposed to or not we definitely used the different pools enjoyed all of the amenities. The Beach and Caribe were probably the least expensive of the lot, and not quite as fancy but still extremely nice. There is so much to do at the resort....tons of activities, games at the pool, and lots of things for the kids to participate in. NOTE: If you are an adult do not go down the children's waterslide. I saw several different guys make this mistake and they suffered scratches from the bottom of the pool. There is definitely a sign posted but after a few drinks its easy to forget how to read I guess. We also got to enjoy kayaking which was included with our stay. This was so much fun. Another great thing that we decided to do was rent a car for the day from the resort (SMOOTH EASY PROCESS) and travel to the Tulum ruins, went snorkeling at Yal Ku lagoon in Akumal, and visited a cenote and went zip lining through the forest. (great addition to the trip) I would recommend this resort for couples, family trips or a trip with friends. You will not be disappointed. Barcelo Maya is an amazing resort and really goes above and beyond.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakwood, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The location was beautiful, but the hotel was very poor. The food was repeated over and over. You could make reservations for restaurants but it wasn't easy. We upgraded to a gold band which was supposed to get us additional perks. These were few and far between. The drinks were weak, the service was slow and the communication with the employees was awful! The resort was always trying to get additional money out of you in any way that they could. WiFi was included with our upgrade but was awful! We had an experience where an employee of the hotel security tried to accuse our child of wearing a stolen wrist band. There were two instances of hotel security trying to accuse kids or wrongdoing and asking for cash payments not to tell on them. I would never return to this hotel or any Barcelo property in the future.

Room Tip: If you stay at a Barcelo hotel, stay at the most exclusive.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
high bluff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

this hotel was very organized.As we arrived the as a group of 12 our rooms were all together and that was impressive as for the last 5 years we were not together. the hotel was very clean and the maids were second to none. the fridge was restocked everyday.short walk to everywhere. food was very good. they do have (diet) cola light and peanut butter.never ran out of food or booze or mix.staff was very helpful.only one complaint the toast was premade and cold but they would run it through again. if u go on an excursion i would highly recomend edventures. book before you go, ceaser was our guide.you can also use all bars along the beach as barcelo owns them all .great snorkeling in front of your hotel and under the pier and infront of the palace. we went to the ruins snorkeling with the sea turtles and Zip lining in the jungle. fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is also a mini mall on the next resort and great shopping in playa del carman 5th avenue something that should be done, just rent a cab. the best way to go. i hope i didnt forget anything about this great trip, it was worth the money.downfall 75 minute drive from airport. deal in american money is the easiest

Room Tip: second floor middle building center if possible close to everything our room was 2232
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Regina, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Travelled Easter week with wife & 13 year old son. The resort was mostly good with a few negatives. I'll begin with the negatives.

1. Upon check out, the bell boys threw our luggage and broke a bottle of tequila inside a bag. No apology whatsoever. Needless to say zero tip was given. I guess I will buy at duty free from now on although I like to support the local markets.
2. There were never enough bar tenders at any of the bars. Take note Barcelo, people DO NOT like to wait in lines of 20 people deep while on vacation. This was a very busy time, one bartender at each station does not suffice.
3. Barcelo, please teach your bartenders how to mix drinks properly. Free pouring swill may have been ok for all of the high school students (spring break) but most people like to enjoy the taste of a good drink. Perhaps post a menu.
4. The prices at the gift shops and "market" were outragous, travellers take the collectivo into Playa for $3 and pay 50 to 70% less for the exact same items. Example: Panama hat, same brand, same colour, same band, Barcelo price $45. 5th Ave Playa price $15.
5. Worst of all, the ala carte policies. We could only get one out of three, The Seafood at a half decent time, 7:30. It was ok for me and son. Wife loved as it was seafood.
We could not get into the Mexican or Spanish any other time than 5:30. Way to early. Funny thing, we checked both at other times throughout the week and found that although we were told that they had no room. Each was no more than 50% full at any given time. Hmmmm.

OK enough of the bad stuff....one to the Good and Great.
Check in - Good fast.....we were the only ones checking in.
Rooms - Good, clean and well stocked. We actually were put in the building we requested.
Buffet - Good always something different. Remember they are cooking for 2000 people. Buffet staff great. They got tipped a lot.
Grounds - Beautiful always clean.
Pools - Clean lots to do. A little noisy at the Beach pool but if you don`t like it move over the the Carib pool, quiter.
Beach - Top notch near the Beach - Carib sections, got rockier into the Colonial - Tropical and down right bad near the Palace. Alway kept very clean, seaweed raked up early every morning exept one. I guess everyone needs a day off.
Other activities - ALL GOOD. Tennis, soccer, volley ball, basketball, bocce ball, mini golf, canoes, paddle boats and much much more. If you get bored you`re spoiled.

I would have given a higher total rating except for the ala carte garbage and the poor bar service. If Barcelo fixes those issues it would be much better for all.

Have a nice vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
West Bend, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and I and our two boys ages 16 & 13 just returned from Barcelo Maya Beach resort. We traveled with 8 other family members. We stayed 6 nights. We did have the gold bands for Premium Club. The Premium Club did allow us to book ala carte meals every night. We booked all of them upon arrival. We got 7:30 & 8:30 meal times, which was fine. Premium Club allowed us access to a lounge where you could make yourself drinks with top shelf alcohol. There were also snacks set out. This room included 3 computers & a large screen TV. Whenever we asked for premium alcohol at the pool bars or lobby bars, we received what we wanted. Room service was also free for Premium Club. No problems with the premium club!

The restaurants were generally great! The Santa Fe Steakhouse was probably the one restaurant where the food wasn't up to par. The service was slow there as well. Mare Nostrum, Mexican (Agave), and Japanese were all very good. The beach area is beautiful and well kept. Snorkeling was fun and easy for the kids. Many activities for the kids! One day our kids participated in a mini Olympics on the beach.

Our only real complaint is the room. We had a great location, Uxemal Building very close to pool and beach. We had two double beds and a sofa. I had to call 3 times to get bedding for the sofa bed. Also, it becomes annoying that there is no fan for the bathroom. Our toilet broke, which thankfully was fixed on the same day. The garbage cans in the room are tiny. The beds are not comfortable and that becomes a problem after 2-3 nights of not much sleep.

We spent most of our time near the Beach hotel. A few days we spent time at the Tropical Pool. At this pool they play more current music and this was a younger crowd and a bit more lively. We preferred the lobby bar in the Colonial hotel. It was air conditioned and had a nicer sitting area. Be sure to explore the Colonial/Tropical area for activities/entertainment. The shows at night are not worth staying up for. So, to sum up, we loved the restaurants, premium club, beach, caribbean, and pools, but the rooms were a bit out dated and not very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We went to the Barcelo for a friends wedding. We arrived at the gate and they gave us directions to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe. We arrived and the whole foyer was full of people wanting to check in the hotel. We were 30 minutes early for the wedding and thought it was enough. We looked for somewhere where we could get our wristbands as the family was going to pay for us to enter as guests for the day. We finally found a guy that WOULD ACTUALLY HELP US. He looked all over the system and couldn't find the wedding. He must've heard something about it because he finally gave us wristbands AFTER MAKING US PAY. EVEN THOUGH WE KNEW THE BRIDE'S FAMILY PAYED FOR US TO ENTER. We asked for directions to get to the wedding and he had no idea. ABSOLUTELY no idea. He finally figured out and drove us in a golf cart to the Barcelo Maya Beach, first to the wrong wedding! I mean are you kidding me! THE WRONG WEDDING! After that, the resort, Barcelo Beach was ok but the food was obvious all inclusive food, either overcooked, or tasteless.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!