“Best Vacation Ever!!!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Solana Beach, California
“Best Vacation Ever!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I came to Barcelo Maya for our honeymoon during the month of October. It was by far the most amazing trip we have ever taken. The grounds were gorgeous, pools spectacular and the all inclusive food was delicious.

Rooms: Extremely clean and has everything that you need. Flat screen TV, nice bathroom, toiletries, etc. The only downfall was the comfort of the beds. If you like a firm bed then you are golden. It is definitely not a pillow top mattress! Stocked mini fridge daily with everything you could ever need should you get thirsty/hungry late at night. Upon arrival we had a bottle of champagne and a fruit basket waiting for us which as a very nice touch. We had a view of the gorgeous garden surrounding the property. Honestly we didn't spend much time in our room at all so it didn't really matter how nice the room was.

Food: SOOO GOOD. My husband and I are definitely foodies and we really enjoyed every meal that we had. Although we had the all inclusive buffet most nights we also had meal tickets to enjoy some of the restaurants around the resort which was so nice. The only bummer was that not all of the restaurants were open that we wanted to visit. Overall, we were totally satisfied.

The Experience: AMAZING! We loved every minute of our trip. From relaxing on the beach and in the pool, to the entertainment, to the friendly amazing staff. It was wonderful. We had fun exploring this massive resort which had multiple hotels within the resort. Even though I am not sure if we were supposed to or not we definitely used the different pools enjoyed all of the amenities. The Beach and Caribe were probably the least expensive of the lot, and not quite as fancy but still extremely nice. There is so much to do at the resort....tons of activities, games at the pool, and lots of things for the kids to participate in. NOTE: If you are an adult do not go down the children's waterslide. I saw several different guys make this mistake and they suffered scratches from the bottom of the pool. There is definitely a sign posted but after a few drinks its easy to forget how to read I guess. We also got to enjoy kayaking which was included with our stay. This was so much fun. Another great thing that we decided to do was rent a car for the day from the resort (SMOOTH EASY PROCESS) and travel to the Tulum ruins, went snorkeling at Yal Ku lagoon in Akumal, and visited a cenote and went zip lining through the forest. (great addition to the trip) I would recommend this resort for couples, family trips or a trip with friends. You will not be disappointed. Barcelo Maya is an amazing resort and really goes above and beyond.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

4,631 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Polish first
Oakwood, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The location was beautiful, but the hotel was very poor. The food was repeated over and over. You could make reservations for restaurants but it wasn't easy. We upgraded to a gold band which was supposed to get us additional perks. These were few and far between. The drinks were weak, the service was slow and the communication with the employees was awful! The resort was always trying to get additional money out of you in any way that they could. WiFi was included with our upgrade but was awful! We had an experience where an employee of the hotel security tried to accuse our child of wearing a stolen wrist band. There were two instances of hotel security trying to accuse kids or wrongdoing and asking for cash payments not to tell on them. I would never return to this hotel or any Barcelo property in the future.

Room Tip: If you stay at a Barcelo hotel, stay at the most exclusive.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
high bluff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

this hotel was very organized.As we arrived the as a group of 12 our rooms were all together and that was impressive as for the last 5 years we were not together. the hotel was very clean and the maids were second to none. the fridge was restocked everyday.short walk to everywhere. food was very good. they do have (diet) cola light and peanut butter.never ran out of food or booze or mix.staff was very helpful.only one complaint the toast was premade and cold but they would run it through again. if u go on an excursion i would highly recomend edventures. book before you go, ceaser was our guide.you can also use all bars along the beach as barcelo owns them all .great snorkeling in front of your hotel and under the pier and infront of the palace. we went to the ruins snorkeling with the sea turtles and Zip lining in the jungle. fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is also a mini mall on the next resort and great shopping in playa del carman 5th avenue something that should be done, just rent a cab. the best way to go. i hope i didnt forget anything about this great trip, it was worth the money.downfall 75 minute drive from airport. deal in american money is the easiest

Room Tip: second floor middle building center if possible close to everything our room was 2232
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Regina, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Travelled Easter week with wife & 13 year old son. The resort was mostly good with a few negatives. I'll begin with the negatives.

1. Upon check out, the bell boys threw our luggage and broke a bottle of tequila inside a bag. No apology whatsoever. Needless to say zero tip was given. I guess I will buy at duty free from now on although I like to support the local markets.
2. There were never enough bar tenders at any of the bars. Take note Barcelo, people DO NOT like to wait in lines of 20 people deep while on vacation. This was a very busy time, one bartender at each station does not suffice.
3. Barcelo, please teach your bartenders how to mix drinks properly. Free pouring swill may have been ok for all of the high school students (spring break) but most people like to enjoy the taste of a good drink. Perhaps post a menu.
4. The prices at the gift shops and "market" were outragous, travellers take the collectivo into Playa for $3 and pay 50 to 70% less for the exact same items. Example: Panama hat, same brand, same colour, same band, Barcelo price $45. 5th Ave Playa price $15.
5. Worst of all, the ala carte policies. We could only get one out of three, The Seafood at a half decent time, 7:30. It was ok for me and son. Wife loved as it was seafood.
We could not get into the Mexican or Spanish any other time than 5:30. Way to early. Funny thing, we checked both at other times throughout the week and found that although we were told that they had no room. Each was no more than 50% full at any given time. Hmmmm.

OK enough of the bad stuff....one to the Good and Great.
Check in - Good fast.....we were the only ones checking in.
Rooms - Good, clean and well stocked. We actually were put in the building we requested.
Buffet - Good always something different. Remember they are cooking for 2000 people. Buffet staff great. They got tipped a lot.
Grounds - Beautiful always clean.
Pools - Clean lots to do. A little noisy at the Beach pool but if you don`t like it move over the the Carib pool, quiter.
Beach - Top notch near the Beach - Carib sections, got rockier into the Colonial - Tropical and down right bad near the Palace. Alway kept very clean, seaweed raked up early every morning exept one. I guess everyone needs a day off.
Other activities - ALL GOOD. Tennis, soccer, volley ball, basketball, bocce ball, mini golf, canoes, paddle boats and much much more. If you get bored you`re spoiled.

I would have given a higher total rating except for the ala carte garbage and the poor bar service. If Barcelo fixes those issues it would be much better for all.

Have a nice vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
West Bend, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and I and our two boys ages 16 & 13 just returned from Barcelo Maya Beach resort. We traveled with 8 other family members. We stayed 6 nights. We did have the gold bands for Premium Club. The Premium Club did allow us to book ala carte meals every night. We booked all of them upon arrival. We got 7:30 & 8:30 meal times, which was fine. Premium Club allowed us access to a lounge where you could make yourself drinks with top shelf alcohol. There were also snacks set out. This room included 3 computers & a large screen TV. Whenever we asked for premium alcohol at the pool bars or lobby bars, we received what we wanted. Room service was also free for Premium Club. No problems with the premium club!

The restaurants were generally great! The Santa Fe Steakhouse was probably the one restaurant where the food wasn't up to par. The service was slow there as well. Mare Nostrum, Mexican (Agave), and Japanese were all very good. The beach area is beautiful and well kept. Snorkeling was fun and easy for the kids. Many activities for the kids! One day our kids participated in a mini Olympics on the beach.

Our only real complaint is the room. We had a great location, Uxemal Building very close to pool and beach. We had two double beds and a sofa. I had to call 3 times to get bedding for the sofa bed. Also, it becomes annoying that there is no fan for the bathroom. Our toilet broke, which thankfully was fixed on the same day. The garbage cans in the room are tiny. The beds are not comfortable and that becomes a problem after 2-3 nights of not much sleep.

We spent most of our time near the Beach hotel. A few days we spent time at the Tropical Pool. At this pool they play more current music and this was a younger crowd and a bit more lively. We preferred the lobby bar in the Colonial hotel. It was air conditioned and had a nicer sitting area. Be sure to explore the Colonial/Tropical area for activities/entertainment. The shows at night are not worth staying up for. So, to sum up, we loved the restaurants, premium club, beach, caribbean, and pools, but the rooms were a bit out dated and not very comfortable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We went to the Barcelo for a friends wedding. We arrived at the gate and they gave us directions to Barcelo Maya Palace Deluxe. We arrived and the whole foyer was full of people wanting to check in the hotel. We were 30 minutes early for the wedding and thought it was enough. We looked for somewhere where we could get our wristbands as the family was going to pay for us to enter as guests for the day. We finally found a guy that WOULD ACTUALLY HELP US. He looked all over the system and couldn't find the wedding. He must've heard something about it because he finally gave us wristbands AFTER MAKING US PAY. EVEN THOUGH WE KNEW THE BRIDE'S FAMILY PAYED FOR US TO ENTER. We asked for directions to get to the wedding and he had no idea. ABSOLUTELY no idea. He finally figured out and drove us in a golf cart to the Barcelo Maya Beach, first to the wrong wedding! I mean are you kidding me! THE WRONG WEDDING! After that, the resort, Barcelo Beach was ok but the food was obvious all inclusive food, either overcooked, or tasteless.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

First of all this hotel is great, loved my vacation. Go there you won't regret it and believe me I have been to many hotels in DR, Jamaica, Cuba and Mexico. I know what I like and usually I choose my hotels carefully with the help of Tripadvisor.

Transfert to hotel
This is a killer, you can be lucky and be the first drop off, or you can be the 5th or 6th one... It took us 1h45min to get there and to go back at the airport on the last day it took over 2h.
***My advice: look on the internet, there is many compagnies that will provide you with the roundtrip transfert. There is one that charge 120$ and believe me it's gonna be worth the price to save a lot of time.

Check in:
Awsome, everything was prepare and fast. Be aware they will try to sell you the upgrade for about 20$ per night, they will do it like it's already done so be carefull. Don't think it's worth it anyway. We didn't wait for the bellboy to bring our suitcase, there was so many people coming at the same time it would have take hours to get them.

Grounds:
Beautiful, very well maintained, always someone taking care of it. By aware that the hotel is huge, it's 5 hotels all together. Beach and Caribe are kind of together and are the cheapest part of the resort but still very nice. Then there is the Tropical and the Colonial and at the other end the luxuous Palace Deluxe. You can go around the hotel for hours or you can rent a segway for 35$ for an hour and they will bring you around the hotel. Nice way to see the entire resort.

Room:
We were placed in the Tulum building, the last of the resort, a little far from the main area but close to the beach, pool and lunch restaurant by the beach. Room is georgous, very clean, big, nice king size bed, comfortable pillows, flat screen tv. Bathroom is getting old but still very clean and you have everything you need(shampoo, conditionner, body wash, comb, toothpaste, mouthwash and way more). Lots of hangers, iron, ironning board, free safe, bathrobe.
I heard that this portion of the hotel (beach section) will close for the summers and they will renovate all the rooms... The mini-fridge is loaded with 4 beers, coke, diet coke, sprite, fanta, peanuts, chips so it's great
*** My advice: try to get a room on an upper level because on the first floor lots of people are walking by the room and the walls are not sound proof, you can hear everything going on outside so that was a bummer when you try to sleep a little before diner.

Drinks:
That is the worst part of the resort, the drinks are awful!! I usually stay with the usual mojitos, cuba libre and daiquiri. I don't drink beer but for the beer drinker you will be happy, there is selfserve Corona everywhere on the resort. But for the rest of the drink it's really bad. Mojitos they don't know how to make one, the frozen drinks won't be frozen so that sugar liquid is not good when not frozen. You can be lucky and end up on a good bottle of rhum but the next one will be bad. Also the wine is the worst i have seen in my life... it's really bad and not drinkable at all. You can have sparkling wine any time and it's not bad at all, specially in the morning for Mimosa
*** My advice: buy bottles of wine at the duty free of your airport, you will be happy you did it

Food:
Not bad at all, the buffet is standard but good and lots of choice. We mostly ate at the a la carte. You are given 3 a la carte restaurant if you stay 7 nights. We were lucky to eat 5 times in those restaurant. We tried the mexican (was just ok), the spanish twice (very good), the steakhouse (very good but not air conditionned) and we paid 20$ each for the french restaurant. That french one was awsome, so good from start to the end, very nice place, super service and it's worth the expense. The service is very good but in the buffet sometimes it's so-so... I don't care, you can get up and go get whatever you need by yourself.

Beach:
Huge beach, lots of palm trees, lots of chairs. A great beach to relax, enjoy your drink, look at the sea, watch the sunrise in the morning. Loved the beach, was there all the time. Not much going on on this side all the activities are concentrated in the middle of the beach toward the Tropical section by the pier. Nice sand but not like powder, a little bit more ruff on the feet.
*** My advice: buy water shoes, it's a must. There is corals in the water if you walk a little futher in the ocean so if you don't have them you will stay close to the beach and you won't enjoy the ocean. You can buy them on the site or do you a favor and go to a certain store you find everywhere in Canada and the States they sell them for 5-7$...

Entertainment:
Not the focus of this resort I guess, a few games by the pool every afternoon but beside that not much going on. The staff is friendly and won't bother you to participate. At night I only went to see 2 shows and it was ok but not the greatest. Nice theatre, shared by the Beach section and the Caribe section (that part of the hotel is the mirror image of the beach by the way)

Lobby:
there is a lounge area with a bar, you can sit there and relax. At night the put up some snack, sandwich, sometimes hot dogs, olives and cookies. Pop corn every night. A few boutiques (there is a shopping area in the tropical or colonial section), 2 restaurants are located there (Mexican and Spanish).

The hotel is located about 20-25min out of Playa Del Carmen, close to most of the activities like Xel-Ha, Xplor and Xcaret, Tulum...
*** In front of the hotel, when you get out walking go to the left and there is a nice little place called Kantun Chi. You can go in cenote, underground river and enjoy the place for cheap. It's 200m from the hotel so you just walk up there wich is fun to avoid long transportation.

If youre a little bit adventurous go to your right (if your facing the ocean) on the beach. There is another weird hotel (Bel Air hotel) but after that there is an hotel that was devastated by a hurricane many years ago. It's nice to go see the devastation and the area. You have to walk in the water to get there so the water shoes are usefull and when you get there you will see a few security guard. But you can find a way through the fence and walk inside the rooms . Just be carefull and wear your water shoes, there is broken glass and all kind of stuff on the ground.

Overall I loved the hotel, the ground, the beach, the color of the ocean and the huge site. Just follow the few advices and you will be ready for this place. will I return? maybe, I never went to the same hotel twice but this one I might do it but in the Tropical or Colonial section this time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!