Travelled Easter week with wife & 13 year old son. The resort was mostly good with a few negatives. I'll begin with the negatives.
1. Upon check out, the bell boys threw our luggage and broke a bottle of tequila inside a bag. No apology whatsoever. Needless to say zero tip was given. I guess I will buy at duty free from now on although I like to support the local markets.
2. There were never enough bar tenders at any of the bars. Take note Barcelo, people DO NOT like to wait in lines of 20 people deep while on vacation. This was a very busy time, one bartender at each station does not suffice.
3. Barcelo, please teach your bartenders how to mix drinks properly. Free pouring swill may have been ok for all of the high school students (spring break) but most people like to enjoy the taste of a good drink. Perhaps post a menu.
4. The prices at the gift shops and "market" were outragous, travellers take the collectivo into Playa for $3 and pay 50 to 70% less for the exact same items. Example: Panama hat, same brand, same colour, same band, Barcelo price $45. 5th Ave Playa price $15.
5. Worst of all, the ala carte policies. We could only get one out of three, The Seafood at a half decent time, 7:30. It was ok for me and son. Wife loved as it was seafood.
We could not get into the Mexican or Spanish any other time than 5:30. Way to early. Funny thing, we checked both at other times throughout the week and found that although we were told that they had no room. Each was no more than 50% full at any given time. Hmmmm.
OK enough of the bad stuff....one to the Good and Great.
Check in - Good fast.....we were the only ones checking in.
Rooms - Good, clean and well stocked. We actually were put in the building we requested.
Buffet - Good always something different. Remember they are cooking for 2000 people. Buffet staff great. They got tipped a lot.
Grounds - Beautiful always clean.
Pools - Clean lots to do. A little noisy at the Beach pool but if you don`t like it move over the the Carib pool, quiter.
Beach - Top notch near the Beach - Carib sections, got rockier into the Colonial - Tropical and down right bad near the Palace. Alway kept very clean, seaweed raked up early every morning exept one. I guess everyone needs a day off.
Other activities - ALL GOOD. Tennis, soccer, volley ball, basketball, bocce ball, mini golf, canoes, paddle boats and much much more. If you get bored you`re spoiled.
I would have given a higher total rating except for the ala carte garbage and the poor bar service. If Barcelo fixes those issues it would be much better for all.
Have a nice vacation.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Barcelo, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp. and Hotels.com so you can book your Barcelo Maya Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Barcelo Puerto Aventuras
- Barcelo Hotel Maya Beach
- Barcelo Maya Palace
- Barcelo Maya Mexico
- Barcelo Maya Resort
- Catalonia Rivera Maya
- Maya Beach Resort
- Barcelo Beach Maya Mayan Resort Riviera
- Barcelo Maya Beach Resort Cancun
- Barcelo Maya Beach Riviera Maya/Puerto Aventuras, Mexico