“Very good hotel you won't regret but need some advice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Montreal, Canada
“Very good hotel you won't regret but need some advice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

First of all this hotel is great, loved my vacation. Go there you won't regret it and believe me I have been to many hotels in DR, Jamaica, Cuba and Mexico. I know what I like and usually I choose my hotels carefully with the help of Tripadvisor.

Transfert to hotel
This is a killer, you can be lucky and be the first drop off, or you can be the 5th or 6th one... It took us 1h45min to get there and to go back at the airport on the last day it took over 2h.
***My advice: look on the internet, there is many compagnies that will provide you with the roundtrip transfert. There is one that charge 120$ and believe me it's gonna be worth the price to save a lot of time.

Check in:
Awsome, everything was prepare and fast. Be aware they will try to sell you the upgrade for about 20$ per night, they will do it like it's already done so be carefull. Don't think it's worth it anyway. We didn't wait for the bellboy to bring our suitcase, there was so many people coming at the same time it would have take hours to get them.

Grounds:
Beautiful, very well maintained, always someone taking care of it. By aware that the hotel is huge, it's 5 hotels all together. Beach and Caribe are kind of together and are the cheapest part of the resort but still very nice. Then there is the Tropical and the Colonial and at the other end the luxuous Palace Deluxe. You can go around the hotel for hours or you can rent a segway for 35$ for an hour and they will bring you around the hotel. Nice way to see the entire resort.

Room:
We were placed in the Tulum building, the last of the resort, a little far from the main area but close to the beach, pool and lunch restaurant by the beach. Room is georgous, very clean, big, nice king size bed, comfortable pillows, flat screen tv. Bathroom is getting old but still very clean and you have everything you need(shampoo, conditionner, body wash, comb, toothpaste, mouthwash and way more). Lots of hangers, iron, ironning board, free safe, bathrobe.
I heard that this portion of the hotel (beach section) will close for the summers and they will renovate all the rooms... The mini-fridge is loaded with 4 beers, coke, diet coke, sprite, fanta, peanuts, chips so it's great
*** My advice: try to get a room on an upper level because on the first floor lots of people are walking by the room and the walls are not sound proof, you can hear everything going on outside so that was a bummer when you try to sleep a little before diner.

Drinks:
That is the worst part of the resort, the drinks are awful!! I usually stay with the usual mojitos, cuba libre and daiquiri. I don't drink beer but for the beer drinker you will be happy, there is selfserve Corona everywhere on the resort. But for the rest of the drink it's really bad. Mojitos they don't know how to make one, the frozen drinks won't be frozen so that sugar liquid is not good when not frozen. You can be lucky and end up on a good bottle of rhum but the next one will be bad. Also the wine is the worst i have seen in my life... it's really bad and not drinkable at all. You can have sparkling wine any time and it's not bad at all, specially in the morning for Mimosa
*** My advice: buy bottles of wine at the duty free of your airport, you will be happy you did it

Food:
Not bad at all, the buffet is standard but good and lots of choice. We mostly ate at the a la carte. You are given 3 a la carte restaurant if you stay 7 nights. We were lucky to eat 5 times in those restaurant. We tried the mexican (was just ok), the spanish twice (very good), the steakhouse (very good but not air conditionned) and we paid 20$ each for the french restaurant. That french one was awsome, so good from start to the end, very nice place, super service and it's worth the expense. The service is very good but in the buffet sometimes it's so-so... I don't care, you can get up and go get whatever you need by yourself.

Beach:
Huge beach, lots of palm trees, lots of chairs. A great beach to relax, enjoy your drink, look at the sea, watch the sunrise in the morning. Loved the beach, was there all the time. Not much going on on this side all the activities are concentrated in the middle of the beach toward the Tropical section by the pier. Nice sand but not like powder, a little bit more ruff on the feet.
*** My advice: buy water shoes, it's a must. There is corals in the water if you walk a little futher in the ocean so if you don't have them you will stay close to the beach and you won't enjoy the ocean. You can buy them on the site or do you a favor and go to a certain store you find everywhere in Canada and the States they sell them for 5-7$...

Entertainment:
Not the focus of this resort I guess, a few games by the pool every afternoon but beside that not much going on. The staff is friendly and won't bother you to participate. At night I only went to see 2 shows and it was ok but not the greatest. Nice theatre, shared by the Beach section and the Caribe section (that part of the hotel is the mirror image of the beach by the way)

Lobby:
there is a lounge area with a bar, you can sit there and relax. At night the put up some snack, sandwich, sometimes hot dogs, olives and cookies. Pop corn every night. A few boutiques (there is a shopping area in the tropical or colonial section), 2 restaurants are located there (Mexican and Spanish).

The hotel is located about 20-25min out of Playa Del Carmen, close to most of the activities like Xel-Ha, Xplor and Xcaret, Tulum...
*** In front of the hotel, when you get out walking go to the left and there is a nice little place called Kantun Chi. You can go in cenote, underground river and enjoy the place for cheap. It's 200m from the hotel so you just walk up there wich is fun to avoid long transportation.

If youre a little bit adventurous go to your right (if your facing the ocean) on the beach. There is another weird hotel (Bel Air hotel) but after that there is an hotel that was devastated by a hurricane many years ago. It's nice to go see the devastation and the area. You have to walk in the water to get there so the water shoes are usefull and when you get there you will see a few security guard. But you can find a way through the fence and walk inside the rooms . Just be carefull and wear your water shoes, there is broken glass and all kind of stuff on the ground.

Overall I loved the hotel, the ground, the beach, the color of the ocean and the huge site. Just follow the few advices and you will be ready for this place. will I return? maybe, I never went to the same hotel twice but this one I might do it but in the Tropical or Colonial section this time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Polish first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Review. I first half to say, while the reviews are great to read, don't believe them all! We could not find one complaint with the Barcelo. We stayed at the Caribe March 8-15, there were 7 of us; 6 adults and 1 child (13 years old). All of us had an incredible time, and look forward to a return visit. Upon arrival, we were greeted with refreshments and a vacation expert (Mike Ricon) who scheduled us to brief us on key information (do's and dont's), including departure details. We found him to be very friendly, knowledeable, and informative through our stay. The front desk stay were very personal, informative, friendly, and helpful. While they did encourage us to purchase a pool view upgrade with more options for restaurants, we kept to our package and were more than happy with that. We knew we would spend very little time in our room, and six or more restaurants in our own package was plenty to choose from.

The buffets were very good. There was something to choose from for everyone. Each night had a theme. The omelets were favorites in the morning and bacon was great. The fresh fruit was wonderful. The ala carte restaurants we ate at (steak and seafood) were very good. We had no trouble making a reservation, nor being seated on time (6 PM), served promptly, and food was great. The wait staff at the buffets (breakfast, lunch, and dinner-were exceptional. There were a a two to three wait staff (names?) were even more exceptional, who went over and above each time, and who often times greet us on the grounds or away from their serving table; just to say Hola; this was most appreciative. We wish we would have taken advantage of the third ticket given to us, but ran out of time for the ala carte restaurant.

The resort grounds and sleeping rooms are very well kept. The landscaping and grooming of plants and garden areas is exceptional for the plant lovers. Room service left fruit and desserts on two occasions. The mini-bar was kept stocked daily. Everything was always clean and the grounds meticulously well groomed. Walking in the morning was one of most peaceful things to do. All staff, no matter what level, were courteous, at all hours of the day, and were certain to greet you in a friendly manner. The bar service staff were friendly as well-in fact, one was made a friend for life!. The pools were kept clean and someone always was close by to pick up an empty drink glass to keep the pool area clutter free. The bathrooms in all areas of the resort - including the pools - are kept very clean and comfortable. While no one was taking drink orders out side at the pool-that was OK. Doesn't hurt to get some walking in with so much lazing around.

The beach and the walking paths and the incredible beauty of the natural habitat of the resort is absolutely beautiful. WE can't wait to return.

While this review is specifically for the Caribe - we briefly walked through all of the hotels at the resort, the Beach, Tropical, Colonial, and the Palace, and after viewing them all, we would return to the Caribe-most comfortable for our tastes. Not to say that the others are not all great as well. The grounds and of all are wonderful-just not enough time to enjoy or spend much time at them all for any length of time, other than a walk through.

Vancouver, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We travelled with a few other families, all with teenagers, and stayed at the Barcelo Beach. I think the teenagers all had a good time hanging out on the beach sizing up each other, going on excursions, playing soccer, basketball, golf, tennis, and archery. We adults had fun too but it seemed like the place was just swarming with teenagers. However, it was spring break.

Positives:
buffet food was very good and plentiful
decent rooms
gorgeous white sand beach
beautiful clean resort grounds and gardens, well laid out
efficient and friendly bar staff

Minor Negatives:
spotty maid service. They either come really early morning or late in the afternoon and usually didn't replenish supplies. We had to hunt around for TP, tissues, hand and face towels (never did get any).
bathrooms: No fans, and the little shower door did nothing to keep the water in the tub so the floor was soaked after showering. The bathroom doors don't lock and are just thin doors with slats so you can hear and almost see everything going on in there. Not a big hit with the teenagers
Our AC wasn't adjustable so it was either 100 degrees or -40. Solved this by keeping the patio door open to get the breeze.
The food at the a la carte restaurants was hit and miss. We had delicious meals and some that were too salty or overcooked to eat. The servers at the Mexican place were exceptional and went out of the way to look after our kids.
Entertainment: very limited in the evenings. The shows at the theatre were mediocre but different every night. The disco (oddly located next to the Catholic Church!) was a bunch of very young people humping each other to a bass beat that was so loud you could feel your heart rhythm flutter. The lobby bar or beach were where we went in the evenings and both were nice but it would have been better if there was a bit of live music like a mariachi band now and then.

Recommendations: All in all, a very nice place at a good price. I would suggest using the public mini-bus service to go into Playa or anywhere along the route rather than a taxi (bus was only $3 to Playa each way). Take a Lonely Planet guide and try some of the less touristy attractions to get a real taste of the Mayan. Do your shopping in Playa del Carmen and skip the high prices at the hotel gift shops and the airport. Oh, and buy some duty free alcohol at the airport. Great deal!

Room Tip: Ground level rooms open up to the gorgeous gardens and we had no problem with ants etc. Keep the pat...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

This review is only for Barcelo Maya Beach, not other 4 Barcelo resorts next door ( although Caribe is supposedly exactly the same as Beach).
First, before arrival, I contacted the hotel through e-mail and requested the building #3, upper floor. They responded promptly, and assured me that all my requests will be fulfilled. I was impressed. But, when arrived, I discovered that they gave me the room in the building 2, 1st floor. Not very nice, considering their assurance that my room will be just as requested. Also, we arrived in the hotel at 12pm, and they said that the room is not ready until 3pm.
No problem. We walked up to the room and saw that the maid just completed the cleaning, so we returned to the front desk for our room keys, but the manager refused to give them to us until 3:00pm, not a minute earlier (!) even though the room was ready very early. Very poor customer service and rude reception manager at the front desk completely ruin the first impression.
Beach is OK, not great, 3 days there were huge waves and very windy. Some areas are more rocky. The ocean and the beach are the main reason why I travel to the Caribbean, so I was not very happy. I also happend to know a resort 10 min. from Barcelo with the beach that is infinitely better than this one.
Food is ridiculously bad at the buffet, not even the simple grilled chicken or other basics.
Food in the a-la-carte restaurants is better, but it is impossible to get reservations. Tip: $5 bill will get you a table without reservation.
Pools are OK, big but nothing special.
Rooms are basic, no lock at all in the bathroom (kids can walk in at the wrong time any moment), very noisy -- you can literally hear people breath in the room above, mattresses make very loud squeaking noise if you move even slightly. But, overall, no huge problems.
There is a lot of entertainment for little kids, like rock climbing, euro bungie, kiddie water park, etc. But it is scattered through all different resorts, so you have to take very long walks.
Overall, the resort is OK, but, as I travel extensively and have been to numerous all-inclusive resorts, I know that there are so much better alternatives out there for the same price or less . If I didn't know any better, I probably would be more happy with Barcelo.
Feel free to contact me for more specific information.

Room Tip: Building 3 is the best, buiding 2 (where we stayed) is OK. A lot of mosquitos on the first floor fac...
Traverse City, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Our family just returned from my son's senior spring break. Paid for club premium to have a better room, upgraded drinks, able to get unlimited reservations ect. Lets start with room three people in party ONE bed....my son had to sleep all week on a thin couch mattress. Room smelled musty, electric would go out, traveling home got half my hair dried and all electricity went out in bathroom. We checked in to go back to get our Internet password ect, nothing explained about room package when we checked in, only room keys and how to get o room. Frig door would not stay shut, door on tv stand opened and it fell off. Beds hard, not enough pillows or towels for three people. When ask or complain they do not care. Our frig is suppose to be restocked with package to find out no not really you need to call if you want restocked (never told ). Rooms cleaned late in day. Slider door would not lock unless you pulled the door forward hold with hand to lock. Bar tenders at main pool bar at Tropical were very unfriendly. Our gold bands were suppose to be given top shelf drinks never given to us until we said each time gold band top shelf, then half he time they said they didn't have in stock. No restock of soap in bathroom. We were there at NCAA time bar tenders told us no on turning on game watched soccer or tennis. Food so so....rude staff at Steakhouse....very rude when trying to add one person to table. Club Premium in lobby never stocked. Delay, delay, delay is what we got .......club premium upgrade is a joke. Walking beach to look up to six armed men with guns strapped to backs, very unsettling. Police helicopter flying low over beach again unsettling.

Room Tip: Do not pay for upgrade they do not guarantee anything
Langley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The resort was amazing, the staff, the room, the grounds, the food, the drink, the beach is fantastic and great for boogie boarding...and especially RENEE in the Main Buffet. We celebrated 3 birthdays when we were there and RENEE made our experience "top notch", she showered us with Champagne and gave each of the birthday boyz a very special cake, which was presented to them (see photos)

Room Tip: Our room was in the UXMAL Building on floor number 2 at the end, amazing location...close to everyth...
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had a terrific time at this resort, which shares its grounds with four other Barcelo resorts: Caribe, Colonial, Tropical and Palace. The Palace is not open to guests of the other properties. The facilities are shared: beach, tennis, mini-golf, archery, kids club, teen club, climbing wall, waterpark, trampoline, pingpong, basketball, spa and gym. The trampoline and climbing wall are mainly for kids 12 and under. The teen club has a fuzball table and video games, including halo. There are many shows and restaurants. We had a premium room at the Beach, which gave us unlimited internet access, a la carte dinners every night, free room service, access to the VIP lounge and discounts on various activities, including spa treatments. The food was very good and our kids, 10 and 13, enjoyed the freedom of wandering around the resort on their own. They also enjoyed the Segway tour. We enjoyed being at a large resort as there was always something to do!

Room Tip: The premium rooms face the beach but you are not right on the beach. There is a pool and activities...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!