“Beautiful grounds, very friendly staff, nice beach” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Saskatchewan,Canada
“Beautiful grounds, very friendly staff, nice beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

A group of 12 of us (including a 3 year old & 1.5 year old) stayed here March 2-9. This is my 4th trip to Mexico.
Here's an overview of our trip!

Hotel:
Before we arrived, I facebooked them requesting rooms in the Uxmal building (middle building closest to everything). We got the rooms we requested & even a free bottle of booze for being a facebook friend. Beds were very comfy, pillows excellent, shower was warm, maids did a good job. No complaints on the room. Check-in was easy.
The hotel is VERY big. For the Maya Beach part, there are 3 buildings and a ton of walking trails/paths everywhere. Take a stroller if you have little kids.

Food:
You won't go hungry or thirsty here. Main buffet has a lot of choices, and the staff at the buffet are excellent. Tip them good at the start & they will be your best friend & have a table/drinks ready for you! Guacamole was awesome, same with the omlettes, & little wraps with ham/cheese. Lots of fruit, fresh pizzas every meal, lots of veggies & nice cuts of meat/fish too.
Snack bar wasn't my favourite, seemed to get very busy around 1pm ish, so I suggest going to the buffet for meals instead of the snack bar.
We only went to the Spanish a la carte & it was good.
Drinks! Try the Caribbean Dream... it's amazing & I have no idea what's in it :)

Beach/Pools:
Beach is gorgeous. TONS of chairs but they fill up fast! Snorkelling is good near the rope that goes out into the ocean & by the dock you can swim with a ton of fish.. (they might want to eat you though :) Ocean was warm & very calm for us, even on a windy day the waves were small. Pools - a bit on the cooler side but they felt good when it got really hot out. Water aerobics looked fun & dance lessons every day too. Pools are nice & big to go for a good swim in.

Kids Stuff:
There's a kiddie pool near the snack bar & a water park with slides & 'ground' level pool near the the neighbouring resort. The water park would be good for kids 5+ in my opinion.. as my kids were a bit too small to enjoy the big slides. But the "gradual walk in" to the water was nice.
There's also a kids club "Barcy Club" for kids 4+, a spray park (COLD though), and little playground with slides closer to Maya Beach hotel.

Overall:
This is a BIG resort... there isn't much "close" together, so if you have little kids that can't walk far take a stroller, or have some method of hauling them around, b/c they will get tired. Personal preference it was TOO big for me, I like places better that have "less" and everything closer together. But for taking 2 little kids, we got some sun, had some drinks, ate good & played so that was all we needed!

Room Tip: Uxmal building is close to everything, but might be noisy if you are close to the theatre. Other bu...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

4,572 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

What you need to know before you go

We just returned home (March 11, 2013) from a week at the Barcelo Maya Beach Resort. Before we chose our resort, I did a lot of reading of reviews on here which helped with making my decision so I thought I’d return the favour and will attempt to give a comprehensive review for those considering visiting here.

We booked with Flight Centre and flew with Sunwing. Flight was great; Sunwing offers a lot more in-flight service than other Canadian airlines. Keep in mind if you are flying home, even after 8pm they will serve you dinner. The only negative about Sunwing was their rep at the resort, when I went to check on our pick up time he is very rude and just pointed to a print out on a board that was difficult to read as it was up high and behind plastic. But other than that, I would fly with them again.

Rooms:
We stayed in the Tulum building, on the third floor. Room was nice, king bed, couch, chairs and small table. Outside on our deck we had a plastic table and chairs. Bedding was nice, air conditioner easy to adjust to our comfort level. Things to note, you need your room key in the slot on the wall as soon as you enter in order to activate the lights and air-conditioning. I took a business card and was able to leave it in there so that when we went out we could have the air-con on to ensure a cool room when we returned. We took the stairs in hopes of burning off some of what we ate and drank.

Mini Bar:
Stocked daily with beer, sparkling water, still water, sprite, coke, diet coke, apple juice and peanuts. We fed the peanuts to the birds on our deck and got some great photos. We wanted more beer so I left a note ‘6 cervezas por favor’ with two $1 bills. From then on we had plenty of beer and every few days I’d leave a few bills.

Shower/Bathroom:
Nice, functional, includes a hair dryer and shampoo and shower gel dispensers in the shower. I’d read this before so made sure I took conditioner with me. There is a plug in the bathroom, which I used for my hair straightener. They also provided, lotion, mending kit, shower cap, shoe shiner and a face scrubber.

Beach:
So beautiful, lots of trees for shade. We’d go down each morning around 8 and easily found deckchairs to claim for the day. I’d read about people suggesting watershoes, and I’d have to say they are TOTALLY UNNECESSARY. You can walk out to waist deep without encountering any rocks and from there you can see rocks easily and avoid them. I did water aerobics in the ocean with the group one day and no one was wearing water shoes.

Pools:
Nice, a bit cool, but very clean.

Restaurants/Buffet:
My advice, don’t try everything the first day! You will be sick of the food in days if you do this. Breakfast was very nice, lots of juices, fresh fruit, made to order eggs/omelets, etc. I got into a routine of having yogurt (not the little tubs but the plain stuff available near the cheeses), with some oats or granola, raisins and coconut. They also had these wonderful biscuits with what seemed to be cream cheese spread on top and a blob of strawberry jam. They also had a huge assortment of sweet baked goods. Lunch we had at the beach grill restaurant or back at the buffet. They had burgers, hot dogs, pastas, amazing pizza (always available at dinnertime too), pasta, quesadillas, and of course nacho chips with cheese sauce, fresh salsa and tasty guacamole (my favourite).
Dinner at the buffet had various theme nights but it basically was the same with a different roast, lamb, pork, beef. Most of the roasts seemed to be over cooked, but the pasta was always a good choice, or pizza, or some of the Mexican items. Salad selection was limited but there was plenty of fish dishes, potatoes, vegetarian items etc. Desserts were always ice cream, fruits, a selection of cakes and the traditional cookies.
We only ended up doing one a la carte restaurant although despite what I read we had no trouble booking three at decent times, we just didn’t end up going. We went to the seafood restaurant. It was quite good, we had the lobster with linguine. The dessert was amazing, we both chose the chocolate soufflé with ice cream. The soufflé was more of a cake with a pudding like centre but was very delicious.

Bars:
We spent most of the day at the beach/pool so frequented the pool bar often. It was never overly busy, the key attraction for beer/soda drinkers is that you could pour your own without having to wait in line. I felt that the drinks were strong for my tastes so I’d always say ‘mango daiquiri on the rocks NOT strong’ and it seemed to help.

Shows/Entertainment:
The daily beach entertainment seemed fun, I only did the aerobics and bingo once. Otherwise just watched the goings on. The nightly shows were okay, kind of what you would expect.

Other:
-We found the sports bar, in an odd location, but worth checking out if you want to play some games. They had air hockey, foosball, and pool tables. We played pool a few nights, the place was basically empty, the poor bartender seemed bored silly.
-We found the shopping center plaza mid way through the week. Got a great deal on a knockoff coach bag and longchamps knapsack.
-We skipped the orientation that the tour providers insist you attend. It was not necessary at all.
-People at breakfast generally wore their swimsuits, with cover-ups for the women and tshirts for the men. Lunch and Dinner the same. At the a la cartes you have to dress up a bit more, but still very casual.
-Take an insulated travel cup, saves on walking back for more drinks and keeps your drinks cold in the hot sun.
-Our shuttle back to the airport didn’t leave til 4 so we tried to pay for a late checkout ($60) but our room was already booked. We left our luggage at the front desk, packed our beach bag with toiletries and a change of clothes and were able to enjoy the day at the beach and then showered at the fitness facilities. They had hairdryers and towels, but alas no plug in for my hair straightener.

Excursions:
We did two. One through Mayan Adventures, which was a snorkeling day with lunch. We went to an inlet, an underground cenote and an open cenote. I think it was $86 per person. It was good, worthwhile and comparable price to others.
The second was the Coba Cultural tour through a company called alltournative tours. It was just over $100 each, and took us to the Coba ruins where we had about two hours. At that site we took the cycle taxi, and did the extended tour. It was $16 US and well worth it!!! Saves having to walk in the heat and then when you get to the ruins you are still feeling energetic enough to climb them and take photos, then you come down and your ride is waiting to take you back. After the ruins, we went to a traditional Mayan home and met a family in a very remote area, no electricity, no running water. Then it was on to a Mayan village, where we visited the bakery, a dry cenote, a small museum, had a traditional blessing, and lunch. I would recommend this trip, very interesting, and a real taste of Mayan culture. If you do the Coba tour, take some fruits from the buffet to give to the kids/people in the village.
We booked both trips through the Barcelo rep situated in the main lobby. I liked that she wasn’t trying to sell us anything but seemed genuinely interested in finding us tours that fit with what we wanted to experience.

Tips:
I took $100 US in one dollar bills. I wanted to be sure that I would have enough for tipping often. I never felt that service was better or worse if you tipped or not, I felt that the bartenders were open to making you whatever you wanted and also would suggest things based on what you said you might like. As mentioned above we tipped the mini bar, it is a different person from the maids, so we also tipped the maid separately. We also tipped the tour guides on our excursions, and the various people we encountered along the way on our Coba cultural trip.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor of Tulum, overlooking jungle area, was fairly quiet, a bit of a walk but...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This hotel is FABULOUS! The staff are friendly, the food is excellent, the beach is breathtaking. What a super great safe place to escape from the cold Canadian winter. There is a lot to do on this resort and there are quiet places to go to rest and relax. Wear your bathing suit if you go to visit Tulum. We took a white van right at the entrance of the hotel for $3.50 one way to Tulum. We didn't have to cross the highway to get the white van. It was waiting there at 9am. A lot of other tourists climbed aboard so it was perfectly safe and a cheap way to get to Tulum. Walking the beach everyday was truly awesome. Don't forget to check out the spa at the end of the day. The whirlpool, sauna and showers free of charge. Mini bar in your hotel room is stocked up daily (Also all inclusive). The room has a safe which is also great. Take a lot of number 30 sunscreen lotion. Many tourists not well due to too much sun. The taxi to the airport is 730 pecos. They drive extremely fast 130 ( Make sure you know how to say in Spanish "Slow down please". Cancun airport was extremely easy and fast to get through the lines.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is our 3rd resort in the Riviera Maya area and again, we were very satisfied with this new choice, the Barcelo Maya Beach resort. The best features are the beach area and the size of the resort which includes 3 lobby/resort areas: Maya Beach-Maya Caribe, Maya Tropical-Maya Colonial and Maya Palace Deluxe. Lots to see, lots of room to walk and move around with access to many activities, pools, restaurants, bars & show theatres. We wish that we had access to all "à la carte" restaurants with our all-inclusive pkg, but we paid to access two in Maya Palace:French -Excellent and worth the $20 US/each extra & Bresilian-Good. The Spanish-Don Quijote and seafood-Captain Morgan were very good. Clean-tidy resort & rooms - always best to leave tips in room (a few $/day). 1 suggested improvement: make better quality food available to arriving visitors late in evening - not much available at reception bar :o(

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are alway our preference and this resort has elevators to 2nd & 3rd floors. Coba...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

This is our third time at the Barcelo Maya Beach and we enjoyed our stay again.
If I could rate this hotel 4.5 out of 5 I would.
Here's my take...
Hotel:
This is a HUGE resort. Plain and simple. With that being said they take care of their grounds and there are many things a person can do. i.e. run/walk(I ran/walked 8 kms a day along the beach and main roadway between resorts), there are water sports, again snorkeling, there's a weight-room, tennis court, discotheque, shops, etc, etc...
In the evening it's nice hanging out at the 24hr lounge with other guests drinking tequila (or whatever you crave) and eating fresh popcorn from their popcorn machine.
Beach:
The beach is beautiful with its white sand, blue water and palm streets. Ensure you go out to the dock to do some snorkeling... it's well worth it as most of the fish hide-out there.
You'll get a couple of cards to borrow towels... we kept the same towels for our entire stay and let them dry on the balcony clothes rack. Just cut out the fuss of bringing them back and getting new ones each day.
If you want a good spot on the beach I suggest you get out early and claim a beach-chair with your towel as the good spots go fast.
Pools are nice... never spent time at them as I spend money to see beaches. lol I can hang-out at a pool any time in Edmonton Alberta.
Room:
Room was clean, bed was comfortable and little fridge was well stocked each day. (i.e. cans of beer, bottles of water, pop if you like pop)
******There's a plug-in in your room you can use for your laptop... you do not need a converter.(canada /usa 3 prong)
Also, they have a safe in the room.
Food:
We ate at the buffet each day and found the food good. We had many different varieties of food to choose from. All fresh. (***Remember that all staff work for tips so ensure you tip them accordingly for their service. I ensured I did and received excellent service.)
Internet:
Internet is pricy. Urrrgg. A 5 day wifi pass cost me 48 bucks. :( Warning, the signal is weak. I didn't use internet until the evening so all cool. Still, bites that it cost so much. (this is a weakness)
Overall a good experience and would recommend this hotel to others... I would come back.
Hope my review helps. :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Everett
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

This was a great place to stay. The people were friendly, the food was good, the room was very good with a beautiful garden view. The beach was okay, a bit rocky. We took a tour of the ruins which was excellent. The pools were many and nicely kept. The whole experience was a pleasure.

S. Boykach

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Green Bay
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I was very displeased with the lack of ability to make phone calls and such from this resort or Mexico in general. Various Cell companies have no agreement with Mexico so those don't work. My personal phone card would not work.
Made one phone short phone call and it cost me a fortune.
What is sad is you pay for an all inclusive but there are apparently LEVELS of inclusiveness.
You can't get a reservation in the nice restaurants unless you KNOW someone. It's ridiculous to the point that there were empty tables when we were in one of the nicer ones and others were getting turned away. You were only allowed ONE ticket to use for a nicer eatery otherwise it was the buffets. Don't get me wrong the buffets were wonderful but still.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!