“3Rd Trip” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Kenora, Ontario, Canada
“3Rd Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Great resort very good value, This was our third trip to this resort and we will be back for a fourth. Food is good , drink is good, beaches are awesome, staff works really hard and is very friendly.This is a large resort and we enjoy walking between the properties, the beach and caribe are the least expensive resorts on the property and in my opinion the best, best part of the beach and people are quite friendly

Room Tip: coba is close to beach and pool
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Polish first
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I ended up booking this trip very last minute (booked Friday night/ dep Sat morning), so I didn't really get a chance to see any of the reviews before hand. I was a bit overwhelmed by how busy the resort lobby is upon arrival - plenty of people coming and going. Front desk people had a basic grasp of language but enough to get me checked in and on my way. Overall, I was satisfied with the resort (I have nothing to compare it to) but found all the staff very pleasant and friendly. Housekeeping missed my room once, or failed to leave any towels. I am not a beer drinker so it would have been nice to have some other alcoholic beverages in room, but the water and soft drinks were fine. Restaurants were okay, the best one was the steak house (can't remember the name). Buffet was average, nothing to write home about. I arrived on Christmas Eve 2011 (despite what the dates say below), so I was able to participate in their festivities (special xmas meal). Lots of walking to the beach but I didn't mind, good exercise - however, I did get lost a few times because of the buildings all looking the same and getting confused by the numbering. I really had a fabulous time and would return. The only thing I didn't like was the shuttle from Cancun to resort, it took about 2hrs as we dropped everyone else off along the way. I may hire a private shuttle next time I am in the area. Beach was supposed to be the better out of the 4 locations.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
ND
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Not a bad resort. Food was good and good variety but same food with for six days gets tiring. Beautiful beaches, pools are not heated and weather was chilly so pool was colder than ocean. Took some photo's with a lemur only to get bitten and they laughed it off. Asked for a rabies certificate and they never produced one. Fridge was broken and smelled of stale beer. Took 36 hours to get one replaced. Only beer is on tap and tropical drinks had too much sugar in them. Can;t get into the reservation restaurants as they are booked. Could hear the people walking on the floor above so make sure you get a room on the top floor

Room Tip: Take the top floor to avoid hearing people walk above you.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
White Rock, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Went for a special birthday, great resort , very clean......Great beaches.Food was great buffets are the best.Activities great, pool bar was great......Will go back again very soon. Would recommend this over and over again. Can not think of one bad thing. Went with agroup of people.The top floor over looking the garden is the best , nice patio with a nice view of the ocean, corner unit........Can I go now

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The hotel itself is nice enough, but the staff was less than helpful at all times. Our phones were stolen right out of the safe in our room, which was locked. Some of the hotel staff have access to the safes in case a patron is unable to open the safe. After we realized our phones had been taken we alerted the front desk, this was at about 10:00 pm. No one came to our room until 12:30 am. One front desk employee along with two security employees came to our room and tore it apart making sure we didn't just misplace them. After they tore apart the room, we had to fill out security forms saying what happened, etc. We were supposed to hear back from the hotel within 72 hours after their investigation. They never got back to us and we checked back constantly and all they would say is "we will let you know tomorrow." Almost a week went by and we are back home and have still heard nothing. We had to get our travel agent to try and get us a copy of the security report so we could be reimbursed through our insurance company. It took them over a week to send him a copy.
The staff there do not care one bit about customer service.
Also they failed to inform us our flight was delayed and sent us packing only to show up at a deserted airport at 3:00 am. We spent the night stranded in Cancun with no phones, and no idea what was going on with our flights. Every other person on our flight was informed by their hotel that the flight was cancelled, and allowed to stay another night.
Nice enough resort, but take your money elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I visited the Barcelo Maya Beach again this past January and was truly blown away by the service. I started out by emailing the hotel with a few questions and they were promptly and courteously responded to.
We were welcomed into our room with a welcome letter and a bottle of champagne and fruit (nice touch). We were in the Club Premium section and had a peek a boo view of the ocean and a view of the pool. We had access to free wi-fi and did not have any issues with it except for a couple of times in the room when the balcony door was closed but as soon as we opened the door it was ok.
Housekeeping was fabulous and kept our room very neat. They even left us a pink raft at our door when the room next door checked out and left it there (we passed it on to someone else when we left).
The front desk was extremely helpful as we had to go there a couple of times because one of my son's room keys kept deactivating and they were very nice and replaced it (although they didn't ask for any ID which was a bit concerning). Another time I had to ask them to help me use the printer and they just let me print to their printer and brought me that pages when they were done.
The food was very good and we always found something that we liked. Breakfast was a favourite as it is awesome to start your day with a Mimosa! We ate a 3 a la cartes...the Mexican, the Japanese and the Seafood. The seafood was our favourite.Lunch was almost always at the beach restaurants.
I had a deep tissue massage at the spa while I was there and it was really good. My son had a chance to use they gym facilities and he said it was great and it had everything that he needed.
Snorkelling was really good although I didn't see any turtles this time I did see a huge ray and a sea snake and lots of fish.
I loved our stay last year but the stay this year was even better it was 10 days as opposed to 7 and much more relaxing. I love everything about this hotel and can hardly wait to go back next year!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We just returned from a two week stay at the Barcelo Beach resort. Spent the first week in the Tropical due to overbooked Beach so up grade was nice surprise. Second week we returned to Beach due to hard mattress in Tropical.Excellent service and great staff. Very clean. Kitchen tour was very interesting.Will be returning next year with family

Room Tip: It appears the King size beds have newer mattress. Two double beds in Tropical were very uncomfortab...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!