“Fantastic Holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Up to 30% discount
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Did we stay at the same place as the previous reviewers? I don't think it's possible. We have just got back from the Barcelo Maya - one family in the Beach and the other in the Caribe and neither family could find much to criticise. Our room was immaculately clean, sheets changed every day and never a trace of sand or dust left, the beds were very comfortable and air con plus fan kept it at just the right temp. for a great night's sleep. The staff were friendly and courteous. There was nothing wrong with the buffet food, which was limited only by your willingness to try something new each night and we found the a la carte restaurants excellent - we tried the Mexican, Spanish, Italian and Seafood. The Mexican was the most fun - try the amazing mayan coffee, which is poured, flaming, between two pots in a great display and tastes lovely. The waiters brought us sombreros for our pictures, which they took for us without being asked.
The grounds are beautiful and regularly tended - all of the fountains were cleaned and maintained each day and there were always gardeners at work. The beach is beautiful and kept well cleaned. We were lucky to see some baby turtles being released back into the ocean during our stay.There is a huge variety of activities on offer and nobody of any age could possibly be bored. The only shortcomings we found were that it took some time to get a second cup of coffee at breakfast or wine at dinner and the shows in the theatre were a little too loud for our tastes but seemed to please others. There is an immense variety to see and do in the surrounding area and we would recommend that you try scuba diving - dressel divers at the hotel are very professional and reliable, snorkelling at Akamal Bay where the turtles feed, visits to Chichen Itza, Coba, at least one cenote above and below ground and the three parks Xel-Ha, Xcaret and Xplore (you can get a two or three park pass online before you go and taxis from the hotel will drop and collect you- you pay on the return trip). One thing to watch out for at the parks is the charges for pictures, which are ridiculous. Take your own camera (waterproof for Xplore) Our kids 15,14,&12 also enjoyed the pirate night from cancun. We recommend Yucca Treks for smaller tours to avoid endless hotel pick-ups and get expert local knowledge. Book them online before you go.We didn't use the hotel spa so can't comment on this- too busy enjoying ourselves!

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the pool/sea are quieter- we had no noise whatsoever throughout the stay.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Polish first
Tully, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

This was my first trip here with my daughter...We normally go to Cancun. First of all the grounds were absolutely gorgeous. But,The rooms were disappointing. Our room had a very strong mildew odor. All the metal lamps and furnishings in the room had chipped paint or was rusty. The beds are very hard and the pillows are like bags of cement. Our lights would go off periodically until we went to the front desk and they sent someone to fix. We never had wash clothes the whole time we were there. We had a coffee maker but no pot. I went to the front desk as I did not wish to be charged for missing room items. That was disappointing also. No one there spoke English that day. It seemed about 95% of the staff did not speak ANY English. It was not a friendly place at all. It is so big you probably would not see the same people twice.
Traveling there makes the trip a lot longer as it is about 1 1/2 ride by car from the Cancun Airport.
Daniel, from Best Day tours was a sweet heart. He answered many of our questions as he spoke English very well and he explained a lot.
If you want to hide away somewhere and not be bothered by anyone or see anyone this is the place for you. You could disappear here and no one would know it or miss you.
It is such a huge place it is very confusing at first and a lot of walking is involved. If you do not get around well this place is not for you either.
The food was plentiful but becomes boring as they serve the same food everywhere, everyday. (I have to say the soups were very tasty though.)
No one cares to ask you your name or where you are from. Maybe it is the language barrier. But it was much, much different here than Cancun. My over all opinion of this place is, after staying here I don't have an opinion. Over all feel. I don't think I would make the effort to go back.

Room Tip: There did not seem to be many airconditioned area's at the Barcelo Beach. But they had the best...
Manitoba, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

What others are saying is absolutely correct ! The resort is Beautiful ! However, when paying a large amount for a vacation a beautiful resort is not good enough.
The rooms were ok, but the pillows were awful ! Took 3 days to get a new pillow.
The food is not great. The buffet is the same thing every day. Not a huge selection.
The staff is not friendly at all. The bartenders are very rude and you wait forever to get service.
Front desk not helpful at all, waiters were ok. The activity staff around the pool are not friendly and snobby. We spent every day of our vacation lounging around the pool and not even a hello. Definately not the same interaction we have had from other resorts.
The Barcelo is given a 4.5 star rating but that is for the beauty of the resort.
If you take into consideration everything else I rate this resort a 2 at best.
Dont waste your money. Go somewhere where you are valued as a guest and where you see they are making a genuine effort to please you.

Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

I have been to other all inclusive resorts and this was I have to say was Average.

- The food was sub-par. Although there were options, they were pretty much the same options all of the time. They have theme nights at the buffet and all they would do was add in a couple of theme matched dishes, but still leave the regular typical boring stuff. The decorations were very nice though.
- The resort itself looked very beautiful and it was well kept. Always staff picking up glasses, trimming plants, etc.
- I really enjoyed the theatre and the Michael Jackson impersonator show :)
- The beach is huge and the sand is nice, but it was hard to go in the water because of the weeds that washed up.
- The room was nice, but nothing awesome. I didn't like that you needed your keycard to make the power work in the room (lights, fan, a/c). Once you took your card out, everything would stop, so it was hard to cool your room off for the night.
- We had a large party, so it was hard to get any a la carts... but we did manage to get 1 in the week that we were there.. although we weren't really impressed. The whole meal we were terrified of the raccoons that kept trying to come into the outdoor/covered restaurant. The meal itself was just okay...
- I did like that there are tons of lounging chairs. You never had to save one because there was always a ton extra when you were looking for them.
- The service at the pool bar was sub-par. They often decided to do other things first (like fill the ice buckets, change the soda, wash counters) before helping a customer that was in line. Tipping didn't seem to help. Our favorite hang out was the lobby bar, but there are minimal tables and chairs there and it's always busy. The drinks are very good there and the bartenders were friendly.
- I recommend for excursions that you check out Xel-Ha. Fun for all and the food there was really good.
- There is a little shopping area in between 2 of the resorts, within walking range, but it's way more expensive than going to Cancun to shop, which is what we did.
- Internet costs money, and so does the computers that are in the Business Centre.
- We went there for a wedding and I have to say that it was very very nice. The dinner afterwards was on the beach under a canopy and the meal was super!
- We went in January and just so you know, it's rather chilly at night once the sun goes down, so definitely pack some pants and long sleeve shirts or hoodies to wear.
- The pools aren't heated and we didn't find any hot tubs. I think all they would have to do is paint one of their pool walls a dark color (black) and it would help heat the pool. We pretty much had to be drunk in order to go in the pool.

I think I'd rather check out another place, instead of going back here again. Plus.. it wasn't that cheap either.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We travelled as a family of 4 (2 teenage boys). We all had a great time,our boys made friends and had plenty to do. The resort is clean and tidy,our rooms were clean and spacious Fridge in the room filled everyday.Prior to going we had seen some reports on this site about rude staff !! we found them to be friendly and helpful, we did see guests being rude and ignorant to the staff, so may be you reap what you sow !! The pools were very big and clean and there were plenty of sunbeds (no getting up at 7.00am to save beds).The beaches are big and raked every morning with plenty of sunbeds, you can use the pools at the Tropical and Colonial and use their beach.The resort is big (5 hotels) so there is plenty to walk around and see. Chaps will need long trousers to wear in the a la carte restuarants but you don't need shoes sandles are fine. The food is very good and has a good selection of everything. | am a vegetarian and always found something to eat. The fresh fruit and salad is lovely and is always presented well. There is always a huge selection of meats,fish and pasta most nights, you certainly won't go hungry. We did experience mosi's so take some repellant spray. We did the trip to Xel Ha and our sons swam with the dolphins which was great a good day out. We would definitely return to this hotel.

Point Pleasant, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

I’ve been to Mexico 7x's and stayed at several resort. Here's my review for this one:
The resort itself was beautiful - It was spotless and we all (7 of us) felt safe - however, although the suite was gorgeous - the bed very lumpy. For such a new room the bed was a real disappointment.
2. The staff was HORRIBLE - from the front desk to the bar tenders - absolutely awful. Not friendly and down right rude. The bar tenders were the worse. The front desk a close second. The staff at the buffet - down right rude.
The whole 'making reservations' for the ala carte restaurants are an ordeal and just awful. We arrived on friday and I went immediately to make reservations - was only able to make reservations for three restaurants - Brazilian (horrible), Italian (salad bar and 1st course - excellent - main course - horrible) and Japanese - horrible. It infuriated me to see all of the other restaurants (that we couldn’t get a reservation for) totally empty - of the 30 - 40 tables - only 15 were taken. My complaints fell on deaf ears.
Bottom line - We spend a lot of money to be treated like crap - I definitely won’t go back!

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

On an average I travel along with my family  twice a year. This summer we have chosen Mexico. I have stayed 10 days in Barceló Maya Beach resort form Aug 12 till Aug 22nd. Resort itself is not the best nor the worst. You simply get what you paid for. If you wish for more refine experience book Barceló Palace Place or even Colonial.
Hotel grounds are very well kept. Various buildings are connected by a canopy covered pathways protecting from a sun & rain.  Beach is large & absolutely beautiful.
Dining venue for a breakfast, lunch & dinner is not located in air conditioned room. It is placed in open space covered by a roof only and several pillars supporting it. For me personally it was a torture to dine. Coffee in the morning was not an option as I was literally  melting simply by sitting down without any movement. If I would have known a dining room is without air condition, I would have not book this hotel. Mexico during  summer months is extremely hot! If you like me  & would like to comfortably dine - do not go to this hotel. Moreover, many guests from various parts of the world are not familiar with dining etiquette which creates on going confusion with tables & sitting.  I have requested an upgrade to premium club & was told that no extra rooms were available.
Gym with various weight lifting machines is also  not located in an air conditioned room. Similarly to dining venue - it is located outside with only roof protecting from a sun or rain.
I do exercise  regularly and have gone  only once in 10 days. I was simply not capable to exercise in this heat. Not sure who came up with the idea of gym without air-condition in Mexican heat & humidity? If you want less guests to attend the facility , then you hit the jackpot.
I have  gone for Explor excursion. Perfect for summer time as you are all the time drench in water & it is lots of fun.  Highly recommend for zip-line lovers.
Hotel staff Is nice - except lobby clerks ( kind of sleepy &  appear not to care).
Food is ok- nothing spectacular.  Considering ongoing heat you will not enjoy it anyway. Nightly  entertainment bit boring and typical for a local resorts. Overall because the above noted shortcomings in particular related to lack if air-conditioning I would not go back to this hotel again. Moving forward I will ask each time before booking any future summer trips if hotel provides air-condition dining venues.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!