“Very Pleased” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

Save Saved
You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Ranked #7 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Vancouver, Canada
“Very Pleased”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

My son and I travelled in January of this year. We found checkin to be very quick despite being dropped off with a busload of others. We were offered fruity frozen drinks while waiting in line. Our room was fine and we had a nice view of the forrest where we could see all sorts of wildlife which was alot of fun. The grounds are amazing and very well kept, there were always gardeners looking after the grounds. The beach was outstanding and there were always chairs to be found. I like the sun and my son like the shade and we could always find a place that catered to both needs.
We only ever ate in the buffets and we quite enjoyed them. There was always something that we could find to eat. My only complaint is of the white wine it reminded me of soap.The waiters were always very attentive and helpful and were very patient with us when we tried out our spanish on them.
We had an issue with burnt out lighbulbd one evening and we called for maintenence and they came within about 10 minutes and took care of it for us.
The evening shows were also very interesting and we really enjoyed them almost every night. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and in fact we will try to be back there again next year if we can work it out.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

4,649 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Hello,

We have been traveling in a small group of four. My husband and I and his parents. We had a blast as everyone enjoyed doing activities together and separately. The staff was friendly. Rooms were clean. We had a room facing the pool and the beach. They have a policy of no parties past 10p.m. in the pool so we were fine. Food was good. Their theme nights were really well executed. However the specialty restaurants left me dissapointed. For a sushi junkie like me the trip to the Japanese restaurant was a dissapointment. They have sushi (4pieces total)only for the appetizers, and if you would select only the choices of entrees you would be refused. They did fail to explain why it was done this way and this way only.
As for the rest of the stay it was really nice. Although there was entertainment every night we were so tired by that time of the sun that we didn't see one single show. Make sure to drink plenty of water during the day even if you don't feel like it.
The dehydration happens really quickly and you will have unnecessary complications regarding!
Put your 65min sunscreen protection in your room, not on the beach -you will burn on the way and while you are putting it.

Room Tip: Room service is slow and not tasty at all. Don't bother unless you have no choice.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012

Hotel was clean, beach was beautiful except there are no umbrellas or palapas for shade. Have to sit under a palm tree which doesn't give a lot of shade unless you find a low one! Lots of chairs. May not take food onto the beach and you must be dressed to sit in the poolside snackbars. Snorkelling was good - fish near the pier, though not a great variety and stingrays, pufferfish, etc. where the seagrass grows.
Front desk staff are in no hurry to help you although pleasant enough.
Hotel internet is a rip-off so go to the Mexican market on the hotel grounds where it costs $ 4.00 for 15 minutes.
Serving staff in the buffet were friendly and gave good service but the food was only o.k, breakfast was probably the best. Seafood restaurant was quite good. Spanish was awful!
Evening show was better than many we've seen, but why so late?
All in all, it was o.k. but we will not go back.

Room Tip: Tulum building is close to the lobby and buffet but further from the beach.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Saskatoon, SK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach April 1-10, 2012. I will list my concerns, most are for families with young children. I did enjoy several aspects of the resort. I found that grounds at the resort were amazing. There was lots to do. I recommend: mini golf, water park (although far), pitch and putt, try different pools, long walks, water bikes, kayaking, scuba, movies in the theatre (get popcorn from the lobby). The buffet was very good with good variety and food quality. The beach was very nice. I liked that it had sandy sections and coral. Watching fish and feeding them off the dock was lots of fun.

Security did not speak any English. My two boys aged 8 and 11 wandered away early in our vacation. The resort is huge. Security was unable to assist us because they don't speak English. The front desk was quite helpful. Of course my kids would tell you they were never lost. Have a plan to meet at the lobby, they can get a drink and eat popcorn while you frantically search.

We did not have air conditioning for the first 3 nights! 5 visits to the lobby lead to reassurances it would be fixed. The air conditioning in room 1272 never worked. I spent considerable time in the lobby asking for a change in room. The Axmal building had digital thermometers and the air conditioning was excellent. I spent considerable time trying to address these concerns which was really frustrating. I do not recommend building 1 Tulum.

There are NO bathrooms at the buffet. You have to leave the buffet, walk to the lobby and through the lobby bar. You arrive at a bathroom which is shared with the bar area. The bathroom was dirty and in poor repair, constantly. Most of the time there was only one sink working. Only one day did the paper towel dispenser work. Most of the time several stalls were not functioning (there were only 4). The distance to the washroom made it hard to send even older children alone to the washroom. I did find 2 restaurants to be very good for children. They had washrooms and the service was outstanding! Try the Agave in the Maya Beach lobby and Spanish in the Caribe lobby. They were by far the best for supper for kids. The fire show (coffee) was so much fun!

Internet was a rip off at $14 US per day per device. Service was good in both our rooms.

We ended our stay on a sour note. Suppers at the Seafood and Steakhouse were not ideal for kids. The service was poor, very slow. At the Seafood restaurant 15 minutes after finishing our meal the kids sought out the waiter. He came to our table to say the kids were not allowed to walk around asking for him.... Then the kids were unable to order additional portions of dessert. After 8 days of “all-inclusive training” where portions are unlimited, this seemed silly. No one left happy, over ice cream. The next night at the Steakhouse the boys finished first and ordered 2 desserts, small portions. My two-year-old was not finished eating. When I ordered an ice cream for her, the manager came to say it was not possible. What disturbs me was how angry he was when asking us to leave. It was awful. Anyone who has encouraged a two-year-old finished her meal so she can have ice cream can hear the crying.

Lost and found was ridiculous. In a resort that size there must be an enormous number of lost/found items everyday. But lost and found has almost nothing. My kids misplaced several items. The concierge asked us to come check every day. While you leave a note about what you have lost, they do not seem to check it. My son left an item purchased at the one site shopping centre on the bus. It had our room number on the receipt. A staff member notified us the next day that it had been found. We went to claim it but it was gone when we got there. Stolen from lost and found. They offered us 20% off to purchase another from the gift store. While commiserating in line for the concierge, we found several people who had similar incidents of theft where the hotel was not helpful in assisting.

Finally, we had one late supper. Show time is late for kids at 9:30. Theatre staff specifically encouraged us to attend, along with everyone else. We went to the theatre and found that that the UNO show. It encouraged very scantily clad young women from the audience to come onstage. They then go in the crowd and kiss as many young men as they can. I hustled my kids out of the show as they were encouraging the young women to undress stage! Other shows had audience nudity. I got to spend the next day discussing what a stripper is with my 8 year old.

Reasons not to bring your kids: security does not speak English (if your kids are lost you will have to find them yourself), concerns with air conditioning, no bathrooms at the buffet, internet $$$, poor restaurant service, poor lost and found service, and R rated theatre shows.

Room Tip: Building 3 at Maya Beach is central and air conditioning works. Club room was worth the $40 per nig...
Winnipeg, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Went with a huge group of students for a week. The beach is beautiful and the weather was fantastic. The rooms are decent. Not anything spectacular. The food is alright for an all inclusive. The a la carte restos are quite good though. I wish there were more bars open late cuz it was really just the lobby. The "club" Jaguar is good if you are 18-25. Otherwise I don't think I would suggest it.

Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Stillwater, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach The first week of April. To start out, there were a number of very positive things:

-The food was good
-The grounds were beautiful and well kept
-The beach was awesome
-There was great snorkling on site

There was also a number of very bad things:

-Even though we made our reservations 6 months in advance, and were told we would have rooms by eachother, the resort had us all over the place. We were all put in smoking rooms that we were told would absolutely not happen when we booked. One party had 4 people that they tried to put into a king sized bed. This was a common theme in the resort, and I saw 14 other families at the front desk with similar complaints
-The drinks were bad at best
-The resort would often run out of fresh towels, sheets, and wash cloths. We only were able to get fresh wash clothes the day before we left.
- The front desk loaded our groups room number incorrectly into the system, so some places would let us charge to the room, while otheres would not.
- There were a number of incorrect charges totaling $110 on my bill that belonged to another room that was with us. I just paid them because the front desk could not figure out how to fix the issue, and there just wore me out.
- I had to spent over 8 hours of my vacation trying to straighten out the front desks mistakes.
-The hotel managers made it well known that they don't care if the hotel is fulfilling its obligations once you have arrived.

In spite of all the good things, I would not go back.

Room Tip: Doesn't matter. The hotel management specifically said they will not honor your requests once y...
Lansing, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Property was well kept and clean. Our air conditioner did not work. Complained for 4 days without results. AC was checked but staff could not repair. Asked to be moved, and they only had one room left so I checked AC first and it did not work either. Would not go lower than 27 C, which is warm when it's hot and humid outside. Reservations were difficult to get in restaurants except at 9:30 PM. We upgraded to premium which was a waste of money. Food was okay, desserts were bad most nights Jello stuff mostly. Fridge was only stocked when we started leaving tips, which we only knew because we were with a large group. We had about 12 keys during our week,, because they quit working on a daily basis. This is really a pain when you get to you room at midnight and key doesn't work so you walk 15 min to front desk and then they tell you their is a charge if you don't return all keys. We just started breaking them when they didn't work so we wouldn't pick up wrong one. Staff didn't care, at one point we asked them to bring us up some keys, and they said okay but never came. No umbrellas on beach only palm trees ugh. There are much nicer resorts with better beaches farther north.

Room Tip: Make sure AC works Don't get room 4302 or 3302 at Caribe beach. Colonial resorts is a lot nice...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!