“Everything I expected ... and MORE.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Edmonton, Canada
“Everything I expected ... and MORE.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

Late write-up. (stayed in January 2007)
I want to communicate to all that this trip/stay is what I base all my trips from. It was clean, service was fantastic/staff were helpful and friendly, grounds were well taken care of... I can't wait until we go back. GREAT memories.
-Fridge was well stocked. (can beer, water, etc)
-Beach was fantastic and well taken care off.
-Shows in the evening were good.

I am coming back to this resort in the near future.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Polish first
Halifax, Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

Mother and adult daughter trip Feb 16th to 23rd,

First thing I should tell you when reading this review is that I consider myself to be your average consumer.I dont tend to be high needs.
I like good food, soft sand and a drink or two and I am a very happy girl ! I work in a customer service role so I know what is expected so I want the same for myself. However, I know that I am on vacation so therefore I tend to be patient as I have no where to be in a hurry.

GENERAL

Pools were very clean and although there were plenty of small children- none were overly noisy or out of control.
Majority of patrons seemed to be families or couples. We met another Mom and daughter, a few sisters and a group of 4 friends but no young singles 20 somethings which would have perhaps made my daughter's week a little more enjoyable. She still had an awesome time but that would have been just that much better.
Most covered areas by the pool were gone by 7.45 am but there was always plenty of shaded area by the beach
Service was excellent - all staff we met were friendly and helpful.All staff spoke English well and were more than happy to do so. Could be because my Spanish is very limited.!!
Sunny every day. A little cloud on first and last days (we were only there for a few hours in afternoon on arrival and a few hours on departure morning)
Room was always clean and fridge restocked whenever any thing was used
Beach and pool water seemed to be at same temperture - not something that upsets me if one isnt warmer than the other.

NIGHTLY ENERTAINMENT

Watched the dance troupe from Camrose Alberta (Yeah, Canada)they were cute and entertaining
Saw the Broadway hits show and On Da Radio both good - Micro phones werent great they needed some tuning, but other than that great dancing and singing.

FOOD

Capri (Italian)- pasta plentiful - good service and lots of selection- My daughter's favorite restaurant
Maritachi (Mexican )- very attentive - Portions here seemed to be larger than at other al a cartes - only one where it was a struggle to finish my meal - really enjoyed the chocolate tequila cake and the after dinner drink called Sombero - (Tequilla,Baileys and some other similar liquors- it was delicious)
French - Paid extra to go but well worth the extra money. Staff was very attentive.Wine seemed to be of better quality here than at the other restaurants on the Colonial side. This was my favourite.
Spanish- cold soup for starter was refreshing. Staff was good but not quite as attentive as at the other a la cartes
Santa Fe (Steakhouse) - Steak done medium as I like it. Had special which was ribeye - more fatty than I expected -Salad bar selection was good - this was our least favourite.
Buffets - most breakfasts at one on Colonial side. Omelet maker was very good. Smoothies wery very tasy. Service attentive and quick. Ate one breakfast at the Caribean side - not as attentive and smoothies were pre made could nt choose your own ingredients, Service on this side just as quick and polite
Lunch buffet was only disappointments. I generally eat a large breakfast and then small or no lunch and then a large dinner, so only did lunch 3 times in the week there - Capitan Morgan didnt like at all except for ice cream and staff was friendly and attentive. Lunch on Caribean side was ok not bad just not outstanding. Lunch on Colonial side on first day we arrived was good as I was hungry due to travelling times. Other day that I was there was good but again not outstanding.
Dinner buffet - ate once on Caribean side and once on Colonial. Nothing stands out as exceptional. Not bad just not "WOW" Others we met paid the $5.00 to eat at the Palace Buffett and seemed to think it was worth the extra charge if only for the larger shrimp

DRINKS

Lobby (Public Bar) at Colonial best of all
Red Wine except at French Restaurant was only passable
Enjoyed : Miami Vice,Mango Tangos,Pina Colodas,Strawberry Dacories,and Margoritas and some Slammers.
Never waited long to be served and all servers were friendly

STAFF

Hugo the tattoo guy from the beach - very interesting to chat to regarding his life growing up in Mexico City, and his aspirations as a young entrepeneur in Cancun/
Nancy in Guest Services - Other guests at the resort who we spoke with complained that it was difficult to book or change reservations.She had no problem re arranging and finding us times that we were happy with. We just wanted to have somewhere to eat and some time between 6 pm and 8 pm. Only the Spanish was outside that time frame and it worked out to our advantage because this was the night that we went in to Playa on the evening shopping tour.
Isabelle the Transad Rep - very knowledgable about the tours we should go on and great presentation skills.
Ariel - Bus Attendent on the way to resort from the Airport. Knowledgable, upbeat and made the 2 hour trip to the resort fly by - he kept the beers flowing which was great.

EXCURSIONS

Bus to Playa del Carmen - bus picked us up at the hotel at 5 pm was to return at 8.30 he was 30 minutes late coming to meeting point so we didnt get back to resort until 9.40. Made it close to get to our 10 pm dinner ressie but we made it. Shooping in Playa not much better than right on the resort. Enjoyed seeing the town and the local entertainment that was out. Venders could have been pushy if you let them be. I didnt respond when called so they didnt bother me much once they realized I wasnt interested in them.

Dolphin Swim - was amazing - smaill groups. lots of interact, all that my daughter wanted and more. I didnt like that the viewing area for companions to the swimmers was so far away that if you wanted pictures you were obilgated to purchase the ones they took (which were good pictures, got the disc with all the pictures for $70.00 )

CoCo Bogo - 10 pm to 4 am - Free liquor(perhaps a little too much ) from when you walked in the door until you staggered out ! Show was on 3 floors - video and live performance of many pop icons such as Lady GaGa, Michael Jackson and Madonna,Elvis and Superheros ie Spiderman. Well worth the $65.00 cost

Ek Balam- Repelling into a 75 foot hole in the side of a sandstone pit dropping into fresh water - or you could take the stairs. Tarzan swing into the water. Diving platform from 25 feet or so. Jungle climb - walking between ropes one above and one below across the lake - Swimming in crystal clear water with sandstone walls surrounding you. All this followed by a lunch made by locals. Rice,salad, beans, 2 kinds of chicken made with local spices, hand make torillas made in front of you. Dinner entertainment was local girls dancing in tradional dress.Purchaced the CD of the pictures $46.00 lots of pictures of Mexico and Mayan area on it including screen savers. Then it was back on the bus to drive thru typical Myan villages to get to the paramids. Kids waving from the road excited to see the bus.
Ek Balam was amazing. Very Interesting from a archological and sociological point of view. Largest paramid is over 106 steps up . I only made it to 50 and got woozy. My daughter climbed to the top and said the the view as incredible. Going up was much easier than coming down. I had to come down v e r y s l o w l y and one foot at a time tilted sideways holding on to the step above so as not to fall. I was extremely glad to make it back to the bottom with out a mis hap.

All told this was super trip.
A few minor hiccups = directions at the airport as to which bus to get on to get to the resort were a little confusing,
check in was delayed a little too long - arrived at 12.15 was promised room would be ready for 3 pm after asking 3 times after 3 pm (was told 3 tiimes would be ready in 15 more minutes) - finally was in room at 3 .45 .
Air conditioning in room was a little noisier than I expected (but not so much that I couldnt sleep)
None of these hiccups were of major consquence. I was on holiday in the sun with my favourite person in the world who also enjoyed every minute of her trip

I have been to DR, twice to Jamaica,and on a cruise and this was better than all of them combined. I will most definatly go back to this part of Mexico and more than likely to this hotel complex . Well ,ok, let me think about this ..

I WOULD GO BACK TOMMORROW IF I COULD ....

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Belligham,WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

My family and I returned yesterday from a trip to Barcelo. We had a great time and enjoyed the resort and the beach. The weather was sunny and hot. We read about AC troubles, our room was kept cool, one of our family members had a very warm room and it smelled musty. The front desk staff were not very friendly upon arrival.

Here are our pros and cons:

Pros: Beach is amazing, beautiful water and sand. The grounds are very pretty with lots of tropical foliage and the grounds are kept very nice. The kids pool was really fun and our kids played there daily. The Fantasia show was fun for the kids too. The wait staff was very friendly and helpful in the dining rooms and the beach grill.

Cons: Everyone "reserves" their beach chairs early in the morning and very few people actually sit in them. There are tons of chairs with towels unattended for hours.The pool bartenders are not very friendly and at times seemed busier tidying up straws than serving drinks.

Overall we had a fun time and enjoyed the resort and most of the staff was helpful. It would be nice to have a shuttle to play del carmen from the resort. We took the collectivo (bus/van) for $2 each way.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

a great resort to stay in everything was good, the service, the rooms, the food, the bars, the pools are clean and the best part the beach so beautiful very clean the water clear blue and white sand.
the only cons: the lobby has no AC so its always hot in there and you get sweaty waiting for your rooms when you arrive and also the buffet its very hot in there and no AC only ceiling fans and the theater also hot. i think the colonial and the and higher do have AC in there lobby and buffet because the barcelo caribe didnt have it neither.
overall great hotel lots of fun specially with family or friends and its kids friendly too.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

I went to the Barcelo Maya Beach resort with my boyfriend from January 27 - February 4, 2012. We had a wonderful time and found absolutely nothing to complain about.

Beach: The beach is beautiful, white sand. The rocky section is by the pier, but the rest is sandy. We were there in high season but there are a lot of beach chairs, so there is never a need to go early to reserve them.

Snorkelling: The snorkelling is incredible!! We saw many varieties of fish, several sea turtles, and sting rays. We were originally told by other guests that the best snorkelling was over on the Palace side of the beach (on the other side of the pier), so we went there most days. But we also saw a sea turtle when snorkelling at the Maya Beach resort as well... so you can't go wrong! There are also a lot of fish off the pier, and you can buy fish food from the shop at the base of the pier to feed them.

Pools: Many pools, all very clean and there are afternoon activities around the pool as well. There is also a waterpark, it looked like a great place for kids.

Food: Both my boyfriend thought the food was great. We didn't always go to the buffet, we also tried out the various beach BBQ spots, so we didn't get bored. They had amazing quesadillas, as well as a good variety of other food. Lots of fresh fruit!

A la carte restaurants: We went to the Spanish & Mexican restaurants. Both were fantastic. Ask for a Mayan coffee at the end of your meal, it's quite a show!

Service: We found the service to be excellent; everyone is friendly and helpful. I am surprised by reviews that say otherwise.

Rooms: We had a room with a king-size bed. It was comfortable, the maid service was great, and it was nice to sit on the balcony in the late afternoon before dinner.

Excursions: We had been to the Mayan Riviera before and so we had already done XCaret, Tulum and we had also taken a ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel (all highly recommended). This time we went to the Coba ruins, which are the last remaining ruins that you can climb. It was about a half-day trip (from 8:30 am to 2:30 pm) and it was worth it. The temple climb is a bit tricky because it's steep and of course the steps are not in perfect condition, but it's worth it! There's a great view from the top.

Overall we had a wonderful, memorable trip. We would definitely go back to this resort.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Albert, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

This is our second time in two years to this resort and hotel. My husband and I came for our 15 year wedding anniversary first time with no kids. We started out going to the disco then beach and enjoying the whole resort until the 2 last days of our trip I got so sick I was in bed with headache, chills, fever, vomiting and the other stuff non stop for 3 days barley got on bus to airport and airplane had to go to Doctor when I got home and got on a antibiotic Doc said I got food poisioning just warning people going take precautions I do remember eating some lettuce and my husband did not it could have been that wish I never got sick missed a week of work when I got home just feeling better yesterday and we left Feb7 2012.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Kamloops, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Stayed Jan 24/12 for a week. The beach and resort area are excellent. It's a huge resort so be prepared for lots of walking between rooms, beach and food services. Buffet food was OK, nothing great - but the restaurants were excellent. We were told by someone after the trip that we could have paid an upgrade for better liqour and more places to eat. Wish we had known that.

Positive: Beautiful beach. Excellent family resort. The kids loved all the pools and activities and the buffet food. The swim-up bar bartender Eloy was great and doorman Abraham was awesome for information. All the servers and maids worked very hard. Rooms were standard and clean with comfortable beds, a mini bar and coffee maker. Too bad our maid kept forgetting to give us coffee and they only supplied packets of fake creamer. Liked that we got robes and slippers. Dive shop has very helpful friendly staff. Did one dive there and it was really good.

Not as good: Don't bother with the concierge in the room building if you want any information outside of the resort. All they want to do is have you book a tour. Go to the bartender or Abraham the doorman. Got locked out of our room after coming back from a day of snorkelling at Akumal and had to stand behind everyone in the check-in line get another key. Not impressed. As a result, we ended up being late for our Mexican dinner and the host was quite rude. Spa service was ridiculous. Booked a massage on the beach and waited half an hour for someone to show up. Walked over to the spa twice to check and they still hadn't sent anyone. Cancelled it. Not just a 'cheap beach massage' either, so the service should be there.

Room Tip: Ask to be in a quiet area away from the people walking on the hall connectors coming from the food...