“simply the best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Barcelo Maya Beach

You added Barcelo Maya Beach to your Saves list
Barcelo Maya Beach
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Chetumal Puerto Juarez Km. 266,3, Puerto Aventuras 77750, Mexico   |
Special Offer
Early booking offer
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Oliver BC
“simply the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

This is the best overall place in this area. We have tried two others and will stick with this one!! Best beach, best people by far!! Except for some of the lobby bar girls, everyone there works so hard. For a few who showed us our best holiday ever, they are Alejandra Yafiez Martinez, Danae, Daniella lobby staff, Francisco, David, Griseida Mendedez all of the Lobby bar, Jose Rodriques and Jose Koyoc Beach Bar, Allarmo Morales and the carver of watermelons of Maya Beach Buffet, and Jose Orellano Activities. (Bingo Buddy). There were others and for you who didn't understand our Spanish...thanks for the help..eg Allen..Best Day Juan..Joyaria Jewelry..Allarmo (Buffet)..keep trying Budddy as we'll be back. Gracias y Muy amable.

Room Tip: We like the third floor for view, have only stayed in maya beach ( three times) so can't comment...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
  • Polish first
Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

This is a lovely beach resort, geared more for families than for couples looking for a five star getaway. The beach really is lovely- great for swimming, walking, not too crowded and no one hassling you to buy items or time shares. Our room was nice, we upgraded to the oceanview junior suite which was worth it as it gave us more roomm a sitting area and balcony. The bathrooms are small but modern-stocked well with amenities and a great blow-dryer. We ate at many of the a la carte restaurants which all had great service. The lobby is small and always noisy with a lot of traffic and a 24 hour bar- great if you like to socialize and drink. We visited the neighbouring hotels-Caribe, Colonial and Tropical. The Colonial and Tropical appear far more elegant, larger, quieter and more shops. The Maya and Caribe are smaller and noisier. The bus ride in was long and made 3-4 stops before our hotel which made it seem longer. Playa Del Carmen is worth visiting - taxi prices vary from $15-25 one way. Lots of shops on 5th avenue and some nice dining and night life if you want it. We went with another couple and they felt that the upgrade to the premium was not as worth it at this resort as it is in other resorts -I tend to agree although our room was worth it. There is a small premium area behind the check in area where you can get your own drinks, a selection of food and three computers. There did not appear to be any special areas at the pool or beach with the upgrade, and no bar service on the beach or pool. One had to always walk to the bar for water, pop or drinks. The buffet was nice, not huge, but certainly enough selection-none of our group of four were ill at any time. There was a reasonable check in service, but we were expecting a private check in service with the upgrade that did not happen. In our room with the upgrade was fruit and a small bottle of liquer. Beer, pop, water and snacks in the fridge and replenished daily which was very nice. Also a coffee maker and coffee. The housekeeping staffed checked in each evening to see if you needed any extra towels, coffee, etc- also a very nice feature. Always lots of towels etc in the bathrooms. The grounds were beautiful and immaculate. There was a shuttle service always available between the hotels and also nice walking paths-great for strolling back after a large meal. There is plenty of evening entertainment. We discovered that it was cheaper to buy tequila etc at the duty free on the way home than the prices in the town (the hotel prices were very expensive). We had a lovely time, but the other couple we travelled with were dissapointed that it was not more "luxe".

Room Tip: corner suites had a larger balcony with a hammock in the premium section, The upgrade to the junior...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

Spent a family vacation here January 1-15th a week into the trip we had a supper booked at the Captain Morgans Seafood all three of us who got sick had the lobster, what a mistake! Spent the rest of the vacation sick, unable to get any food in my system causing me to lose weight and be weak...not exactly the way I imagined spending a vacation! I've wrote the resort three times informing them that since returning back home my doctor cleared me from work for over a week, had to go through two blood tests, had xrays and ultrasounds. It's been over 5 weeks of my extreme pains since eating at Captain Morgans and just now I'm just starting to feel a LITTLE back to normal. My doctor hasn't been able to properly diagnose what I caught in Mexico but we believe it's some type of parasite.

My biggest problem surprisingly wasn't about getting really sick its the LACK of concern the resort management has had towards this situation. With three unanswered emails its very clear that they really don't care about their customers or the repetition of their name. I will never return to this resort. I advise others who find it important to have a resort stand behind their name and want to take care of their customers NOT to go here as you wont find that type of service instead you will find once you pay and your outta there they really don't care.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

My Family and I stayed in the Caribe section nice rooms but next time i would probably stay at the Tropicial or Coloniel just for the food seems to be better quality food but that being said the Caribe food was edible and no one got sick. Beautiful beach and pools loved the water park areas always something for my 5 year old to do. Excursions;
We did dolphinus which was way over priced! But had very nice day.
I would recommened this hotel to anyone thinking twice go you will love it specially the peir with the giant fish you can swim with :) and the people are so friendly that work at this resort.

Room Tip: Most rooms don't have ocean views unless you stay at the Palace or the Coloniel
markdale, ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

We really loved our stay at the Barcelo Maya Beach. We rented a car right at the airport so we didn't have to deal with all the shuttle bus or the throng of people all trying to check in at the same time. We asked for a king size standard room with a sofa and a crib. No problems. The sofa is really cool because you just take off the back cushions and it is a large single bed, perfect for our 6 year old.

We only ate at the buffet restaurant. With two small children, it was more convenient for us. My only small complaint was that the restaurant didn't open until 6:30. That was tough for us with bedtimes after a day on the beach. I wish they had it open at 5:30 like most of the resorts we've stayed at. The food was fine. I would have liked to have seen a little more "normal" food on the theme nights but we didn't starve. The food was quite good.

The beach was amazing! I loved how the resort was layed out with the hotel rooms behind the beach with all the trees. Lovely. We stayed at the Uxmal building and I would highly suggest it for convenience to everything.

We never made it very far to all the other resorts on the site but we did make it to the kids waterpark at the Colonial and it was very good. My biggest complaint is the the pools are VERY COLD!! And I'm talking very cold. I wish they would heat them some but these pools are massive!

We loved feeding the fish from the pier as well as snorkeling from the pier. Take some bread from one of the meals and the fish will be plentiful to see! I would also suggest the snorkeling trip to the sea turtles. It was a nice short one - only 3 hours but really good with small children. We brought our big circle floaty for the baby and she loved bobbing around on the water while we were snorkeling. It was only $55 adult and $30 for children. They did a very good job! Loved that.

One bad comment would be the internet. It was pathetic. I wouldn't count on it to stay in touch back home and I wouldn't waste my money on it!

I would recommend this hotel. It has a huge beach and even on wonderful days when everyone is on the beach you don't feel like it. The service was good. The rooms were good. It really was a nice trip.

Room Tip: The Uxmal building is very convenient to everything.
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

You can never go wrong with a holiday in the Mayan Rivieria. It's one of the most beautiful parts of Mexico with stunning beaches, ruins, caves, cenotes and adventure all at your fingertips. So the hardest decision is just finding a great hotel .

I stayed at the Barcelo Maya Beach (Tulum) and the resort did not disappoint.

Grounds: The grounds really are beautiful. The landscaping incorporates local plants, shrubs and trees to enhance the Mexican experience so that there is a truly natural feeling on the resort, and lush fauna separates the buildings to provide a feeling of privacy. Mixed with the lush jungle feel are manicured lawns and beautiful flowers.

Accomodation: The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable. We had a gardenview room and was quite happy with the privacy and lush greenery surrounding us. I am not sure if I would recommend an oceanview room, given that the pools separate the buildings from the ocean. As the buildings are only 3 stories high, you really are getting more of a pool view (with the added noise factor). The soft touches are always appreciated: terry cloth slippers and a loofah sponge are in the room, as well as a free safe to lock valuables. Also, the staff are very keen to ensure that your minibar is full.

Food: The a la carte restaurants are tasty, and definitely worth trying. Unfortunately, if you want any wine other than house wine (which you will, trust) then be prepared to pay extra as you'll need to buy a bottle (expect to pay about $30Cdn on average for a bottle). The buffet food was good. While the buffet didn't have the extravagant variety and 5 star chef-backing as the Riu resorts, I would rate it on par with the Bahia Principe resort in the Mayan. The food is good and yes, somewhat repetitive after a few days, but if you throw in a few a la carte dinners into your stay at the Barcelo to spice things up, you'll be fine.

Activities: The concierge was really helpful in arranging a car rental for us and adding us to an excursion at the last minute. I found the staff to be quite pleasant and helpful in all our requests. If you want to do activities that are organized on the Barcelo beach, then you may need to plan ahead. There is an ATV/cenote activity and pedway rental available (which costs are not included and are extra), and you can sign up for these activities at stands near the beach towel pick up/drop off, but be prepared to book a day in advance because they do fill up.

Beach: Wow. If you are looking for a resort with a beautiful beach, this is it. The beach is clean and the chairs are as well (I'm not sure if they clean the chairs or if there are just less birds that do their business on them). Also, the beach is just plain beautiful and has two bays, with a pier inbetween them. A walk along the pier is a must, given that the water is so clear you can stand on the pier and see the fish swimming in the water below (or you can borrow the free snorkelling gear available and get closer if you want to as well).

Gym/spa: The cardio equipment is old and a bit ghetto, but spending some time in the weight room is fun because of the open air concept and straw hut roof. The hot tub, steam room and infrared sauna are all free and you need only sign in upon arrival, and these facilities are great. They recommend a circuit for full relaxation too.

My only complaint was that there wasn't any free wifi available. I don't expect wifi to necessarily be available in all the rooms, but it would be nice if it was at least free in the lobby. Also, the front desk did tell us that our gold bands would allow us to gain entrance to the buffet restaurants at the other hotels on the resort (Caribe etc.), however when we tried to go elsewhere and test out the fancy bracelets, we were told we would have to pay for these buffets as they aren't included.

One of my favourite touches of the Barcelo was the popcorn machine that ran til midnight beside the lobby bar. It's amazing how many people just like popcorn... seems to run across all cultures.

Overall, the Barcelo offers a solid 4.5 star experience.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

It was amazing, the hotel, the food, the beach. There were many good things and some minor issues, that we barely noticed. The resort is made out of 5 hotels and like they say you cannt acces the 5 star one if you are staying at the 4 star hotel. We arrived at the resort around 8 pm, and right after we checked in we made all the reservations for the a la carte restaurants. When we booked our resort we were told that we have 3 visits to the a la carte restaurants. When we were checking in, the person at the front desk told us that we only had 2. Good thing that they had a specific lady dedicated to make reservations and she provided us with 3 reserations. We chose Mexican, Spanish and Seafood restaurants. The Mexican and Spanish were very good. Its not you tipical frijoles and rice food, the portions are not very big so you can have a starter, main dish, dessert and still walk out from there alive. Buffet had very big selection of food every day, so dont listen to who ever complains about the food. Every night at the buffet they would make a theme night, so you could have more chinese buffet one day, and mexican, spanish or western the other day. Drinks were watered down, specially beer, but I could still find some drunk turists at the resort. There was a disco and night shows every night. Personally I am not too much in to those shows, club and bars were much more interesting for me. Families that come with kids will find many different activities during the day for kids and even at night they would make some shows for kids , before the ones for adults. Beach and sand were amazing, water was clear when there was a good weather. It was a little rocky so be carefull when you go in. There is always something to do at that resort. All the bars , pools, snack bars that are more like buffets with all kinds of food. You can visit any of their hotels, and use their 4.5 and 5 star pools and bars. I dont even see the need to overpay for the 4.5 or 5 star hotels when you can use all of their amenities. By the way if you want to go to any excursion, you can pay between 110 and 130 at the resort or half of that price if you go to Playa del Carmen, but compare what you get for your price. Some of the thing that bothered us are: paper thin walls, specially if you like to sleep in, and your neighbours are early birds that get up at 7 am then that sucks cause you can hear their every step. Another thing is their plumbing, if you flash you toilet you could hear it for 5 0r 6 minutes minimum. Sink didnt drain properly it would take too long. Humid smell in our room was present every time we would walk in, but after opening patio door we would notice it anymore. Otherwise everything was perfect. I strongly recommend this resort and I would deffinitely come back.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Barcelo Maya Beach? Share your experiences!