“Best Vacation Ever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Manzana 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle, Washington
“Best Vacation Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

My husband and I went with two other couples for as a sort of anniversary vacation, since all three couples had honeymooned in Cancun. I have probably read every review that trip advisor has on the Catalonia Riviera Maya and was very confident that we were going to have a great time. We were definitely not disappointed in the CAT--we had a blast!

Rooms--We booked a deluxe room through Orbitz and got a good price. The deluxe rooms were fantastic. We were originally given a room with a pool in the 8000 building, but we opted to move because we didn't like the location. The Privileged front desk staff was able to move all three rooms to another building while keeping us close together. I think we were downgraded since we didn't have a mini-pool in the new rooms but we liked the new rooms MUCH better! We stayed in Room 6023, which is located in one of the closest buildings to the beach and we had a great view of the lagoon. The room was kept very clean and the minibar was kept well stocked during our entire stay. Thanks to trip advisor, I knew to email the hotel directly beforehand to let them know that we were celebrating our anniversary. This was great! We were greeted at our room with a banner on the door and a towel art with rose petals on the bed. The next night we received chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. The following night we received cute t-shirts that said "hoteles catalonia honeymooners". So special! :)

Food-- We generally ate at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. There was always fresh fruit and plenty of options for meals. We tried the Tapas restaurant, which was a lot of fun. They serve many, many dishes with small portions. Very cute, especially when you have a slight buzz ;) We also tried the Mexican restaurant, which was just okay. Our favorite restaurant by far was the Japanese hibachi grill restaurant, Mikado. Excellent food, excellent show. We ate there twice and I recommend it to everyone--make sure you go there during your stay! We also loved the Creperie--we went there every night it was open, even when we were too full to eat. You will find room for these yummy crepes!

Staff-- The trip advisor reviews that rave about the staff are 100% correct! From the bellhop, to the front desk, to the spa, to the pool bar attendants, to housekeeping, everyone we encountered at the CAT was truly great. I believe their philosophy must be "The answer is YES." I felt like this was a true all-inclusive resort, where you can enjoy yourself and fully enjoy the experience.

Spa--If you reserve an upgraded room, which is any room but a standard room, you are considered a "Privileged" guest and you receive a free "day pass" to the Alegria spa. You also receive 15% off single-person massages. After enjoying the free day pass, my husband and I treated ourselves to a couples massage. 80 minute massage + 25 minute aqua bath was such a great idea! I'd never had a professional massage to compare it to, but one of my girlfriends had the sweedish massage and she said that the prices were better, the time was longer, and the treatment was just as good as the ones that she's had in California. My husband and I definitely enjoyed them!

Beaches--My husband is a fish; he loves to snorkel and will stay in the water all day. He really enjoyed the lagoon area as well as the coral areas off of the beach. Even though there aren't miles of sand at the CAT, the beach area is very unique in that is has a lagoon with TONS of eager fish to see. It is a bit rocky but I never needed water shoes.

Pools--There are plenty of pools to go around. The first night we were there, we had the smaller sports-pool pretty much to ourselves. I'd say the hardest part about both the beaches and the pool areas was finding a beach chair that was in the shade. There were plenty to go around, but finding a couple in the shade was a challenge.

Alcohol--There is a limited variety of beer, but if you like Sol and Dos Equis then you'll be fine. The mixed drinks are good, but they are very sweet. The house wine is not so good. Despite all of that, we were never disappointed--it is, after all, an unlimited supply of alcohol and tequila does the trick every time ;)

We had originally planned to go on an excursion outside of the resort, but once we got there we didn't feel the need to leave, and we never once got bored. We spent the money at the spa instead! :) Overall, we had an excellent vacation and would recommend the CAT to anyone!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (763)
  • Polish first
Boston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

I stayed at the Catalonia Riviera Maya the second week in May with my boyfriend. Although the resort shares the Catalonia Yucatan property we stayed on the Riviera side so I am posting my review here.
We arrived via USA transfers Friday May 7th. Absolutely flawless. Checked in around 1230, room was ready and waiting. Wonderful front desk reception - the poor man at the front practically chased us down to make sure we had a welcome drink! We were escorted by the bellhop to our suite #8114. We upgraded before we came which worked out because we were told they had no more suites available. Great view of the lagoon and properties adjacent to the hotel. We quickly put our suits on and hit the beach. Room was spacious and clean but HOT. First night we thought it was just because the temps outside were really high but the second night we called the front desk. Someone came within 15 minutes, went up into the ceiling in the bathroom via a little door and pressed a button. Presto A/C was back in action. Made me wonder why it was like that but at least it was fixed. Also noticed the maids turned off the A/C when they cleaned the rooms in the morning that was fine because we were not there but it did make it a little uncomfortable when you first got back from the pool/beach. Our fridge was restocked daily with four bottles of water, soda and beer.
All week we sat near the Pure chill out bar on the beach and found it to be a great spot. The bar itself had Stoli, Sky, bombay sapphire and many other liquor choices that other AI resorts lack. No problem getting a lounger or even one under a palapa. I read the reviews about the beach and knew what to expect. We found there were plenty of little areas to get in and out easily. Although not the best beach it was calm except one day of our week stay and has amazing snorkeling. We saw plenty of colorful fish and even two barracuda fish. There were also a few other large fish which we did not recognize. We brought our own gear so we did not have to worry about timing.
We also signed up for the catamaran ride. Go early in the am to get a time. The concierge told us to go between 8-9, my BF went at 8:05 and there was only one time slot left. They have three boats and book twenty minute trips. It was great to see Puerto Aventuras from the ocean.
We rented bikes one morning and rode into the marina. Very safe to ride around, we left the bikes at the marina entrance and walked around, watched the dolphins and signed up for the Fatcat (highly recommend).
Shows were okay, you can tell they spent time trying to make them special. During the day the A-team was at the main pool on the riviera side trying to get everyone involved. There are plently of pools but I did think they were in some slightly tight spots. By midday you couldn't really get to the Tequila swim up bar and that pool was pretty crazy and crowded. On the yucatan side the two pools were usally slightly calmer and less crowded with more free loungers.
Grounds were extremely clean. There was always someone working on the grounds. One early morning we saw someone snorkeling in the pool but quickly released they were cleaning the swim up bar and pool floor - such detail!
Buffets were okay, the bf never had a problem but I usually just picked at a few different things but was never left hungry. We went to the Japanese resturant twice, Mexican once and Tapas once. All were great! I really enjoyed the Tapas but bf was left hungry. We stopped at the creperie twice and loved it! Milkshake was AMAZING!
With out suite we got two passes to the spa. We passed through one morning, great service. Got a lovely tour and then used the sauna, vapor room and mineral pool. I probably would not have spent the money to use it but nice touch being free (and we were the only ones there). Gym was small but never crowded.
One tip would be bring TONS of sunscreeen. We do not really have fair skin but brought two large SPF 70 and 30 bottles and by the last day I was scrapping the contents because I did not want to spend 25 dollars on a new bottle.
All in all this resort has great service and was extremely clean. A great vacation overall!

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2010

After we spent a week in May at the Catalonia Riviera Maya, I could not understand why someone would write a bad review! This place was awesome! Yes, there were things that we disliked, but what we loved far outweighed the latter.

I have stayed at two 5* hotels in Punta Cana, payed $ 1000 a person for each. For the Catalonia we payed $800 a person (after taxes) and I thought it was equal in quality to the ones in Punta Cana, plus the food was way better!

I liked how you have access to both resorts. The Yucatan side has a quiter pool area, so we spent most of our time there because of the group we were with (mixture of family and friends, one child), but on another trip we may have spent more time at the Riviera Maya pool. Though it was more crowded, the staff would organize games and contests and dancing. Everyone seemed to be having fun.

The beach was beautiful and, yes, there are some rocks. Oh no, walk around them? That's too much to ask of some people. I think it's partially what makes Riviera Maya beautiful and different. So if you don't like to walk around rocks, don't come here and complain about the natural beauty.

At first I didn't like that you only get three vouchers for the a la carte restaurants per week, but after eating at the buffet the first night, I wasn't going to complain. Yeah, you may not like EVERYTHING, but we all found plenty to eat. Try the coconut icecream, so good! The Tapas Restaurant gives you small portions, but it's meant to give you little tastes of everything, and the servers are totally cool if you politely ask for another helping. The food was delish. We also had Italian (very good, I recommend the gnochi), steakhouse (ok), and Japanese (so good! Get the fried icecream for dessert!). The Japanese restaurant opens at 6pm, but we sent someone down at 5:45 to get our name in and were given a 7:30 reservation. A little later than desired, but you can get a drink in the bar and eat some snacks and all is good. The crepery is awesome for dessert in the evening.

How could anyone complain about the service here? Everyone went above and beyond to accomodate us! We made friends with the bartenders and we LOVED Arienna who served us our drinks by the pool. And always with a smile! I can't imagine what you would have to do to these people to get bad service! Common courtesy goes a long way. If you speak to the staff kindly and respectfully and not order them around like servants they will go above and beyond.

So we would definately go back to the Catalonia because for an $800 price I felt like we recieved $1200 quality. If you want $2000 quality or higher, then pay $2000 and go somewhere else instead of complain about a great resort. Or just stay home because some people expect way too much and can't have fun anywhere. A vacation is what you make of it and the Catalonia did not disappoint.

• Stayed May 2010
Toledo, Oh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

Our first time to Mexico... we're both in our 30's and this hotel was everything we ever wanted and more.. If you went hungry, that was your own fault.. there was plenty to satisfy our appetites the 5 days we were there. We ate our breakfast and lunches at La Brisa buffet and 2 dinners. We recieved 2 ala-carte vouchers for the length of our stay and we decided to eat at the mexican and japanese restaurants. Both were fabulous! The beach, yes a little rocky, but there were cuts made into the rock and if you were careful, you could get out to the water just fine. We never wore water socks, we were just careful of where we stepped initially. Snorkeling was great, although mother nature kicked the wind up a bit, so all the powdery sand was blown onto the reef and the water got churned up, so visibility wasnt the greatest at some times. We even snorkeled in the lagoon, and tha wasnt too bad either, but visibility wasnt as good. I would recommend to bring your own gear as we did, because you can only have their snorkel equipment for an hour a day. You can walk down to the marina area in Puerto Adventuras, which we did, and felt completely safe in doing so. Our Lomas travel guide advised us that it is a very safe area, and the town is fenced in so they keep it safe for tourists to walk down to the marina and shops. The rooms were very spacious, we stayed in a basic king room, A/C worked great, and there was always a cute towel decoration left for us. The staff was very helpful and we had no issues with communication barriers, as neither one of us speak spanish. The pools were exceptionally clean, and very refreshing. I didnt think it was very crowded, and we were told that we had come during the slow season. We had plenty of lounge chairs to choose from. One thing we did learn was that the Japanese restaurant fills up quickly, is closed on Tuesday, and if you are deciding to eat there, go to the resturant around 5pm and put your name on the list to reserve your time. We didnt do this on monday, and we arrrived about 630 and were told they were filled up for the night. We came back wednesday and arrived about 545pm and we were the first sitting. We noticed people coming in in pool attire to reserve their times for the night. Thats the only word of advise I can give you for this excellent resort. The creperie was amazing, wished we had visited it more than just the last night. We had full exchange privileges with the Yucatan side which was nice. We never had any issues, and Pablo even was the guy who checked us in, and we had no issues of trying to be scammed for a room upgrade. (re: a previous review). We even drank the water that was served to us at the restaurants and had plenty of frozen drinks, and never once experienced any sickness, however, we did not try the tap water. lol only water in a bottle or if it was served to us in a restaurant. There were plenty of activities every day, live entertainment every night. We fell in love with this resort!!!

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

This is the first review I've ever contributed to TripAdvisor but I really wanted to let people know about the Catalonia Riviera Maya - a seemingly well-kept secret. My husband and I recently took a last minute trip to Mexico. Given our somewhat limited budget, our travel agent set us up at the Catalonia Riviera Maya, which might not be the best known name now but I have a feeling it will be soon.

The drive from Cancun Interantional was a relatively easy 65 - 70 minutes. Since we arrived early our travel agent arranged for us to check in early. (She also got us an upgrade to a Privilege Junior Suite!) It was nice to be able to drop off our bags, change, get a drink and eat (in that order!).

The food was great and we loved all the different a la carte restaurant options. (Buffet can get a little boring after a few days.) Drinks were plentiful and the pools were plenty large enough for us. The beach / Puerto Aventuras area was nice and inviting. We chose more R&R activities like the spa or quiet pool over entertainment and excursions but there were plenty of options for all sorts of vacationers. We loved the sap hydrotherapy treatment area which looked brand new to us. Since this was a last minute trip, the best part for us was definitely the four - five star quality of the food, rooms, spa and service for a price you would normally pay for a 2.5 - 3.0 star resort in this area. Definitely worth a try if you're looking for value on a budget!

London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

Upon our arrival to the hotel on the 29th April 6pm we have been kindly asked by one of the resort receptionist Alfredo to upgrade our holidays and pay $15 per person per night more if we wish to receive a better room and service, because the standard room was really poor!!! So we did, expecting only the best service and nicer, larger room with a nice view.
However, our expectations were far more nicer and the reality was VERY disappointing!
The bathroom and living room plugs in our first room number 7022 were not working at all! We had to let the reception know for more than 15 times as they were not been able to repair it in 5 days! One of the maintenance man came on the 5th day and after having checked it, he said “ I am coming back in one moment”...Of course he never came back!!!!
There was a disgusting smell of the drainage coming out from the Air-conditioning while in use! Again, we had to complain many times and nothing has been done!!! We didn’t even receive a simple “Sorry” from any of the receptionist!
Couple of nights we went to sleep, until 4.30am there was a huge noise coming from our next door neighbours. This continued for 2 nights in a row..Told to Reception...What did they do? nothing!!!!!After advising the reception in the middle of the night, we have been advised to wait for another 15 minutes It should calm down.
We also noticed lots of very very little spiders crawling around in our room, we have been asked if we keep any food in our room or if there is anything left on the floor etc. No action had been done from the team of receptionist!
In the price of our upgrade we should have had our fridge refilled every day. This didn’t happen for 2 days in a row!!
Also couple of times we have been missing clean towels. Again, we did speak with the people working on the reception however we didn’t even get an apology and a solution!
So on our fifth day of our so far stressing holidays, stinky room, no water refill, no clean towels, no plugs working so we couldn’t use our own hairdryer, as the one provided in the bathroom was broken and not safe to use, noisy building, internet not working properly etc etc... we had to contact Thompson assistant to ask for help as the staff was not listening to our comments about the inconvenience we were having and were not willing to help at all!!
He had to spend 20 mins of his time to speak to Marco – the day shift Manager to find the solution, which was to move us finally to another room! However the only room they showed us was a much more smaller room (almost the half size of ours), the bathroom was without the window and it felt like being in sauna there, and the view was looking at the wall of the next door building! Not what we paid for at the beginning! So the next night we still had to spend in the room due to no rooms available (???).
The next morning ( basically on the 6th day!!!) we moved to room number 6023, the same size as the one before, however we have experienced missing towels and no bathrobe and slippers as they were included in the price of our upgrade. During the night at 10.30pm a loud noise of walkie talkie (radios) and plates or whatever, was just behind our doors...Who was it? The maintenance men doing I don't know what - going up and down in our building. After advising the reception in the middle of the night, we have been advised to wait another 15 minutes as it should calm down.Is this a normal reply???? We went on holiday to relax!!!!

The next evening around 6pm we realised that the air conditioning was very noisy and we could hear a very loud noise of the water running in the pipes from the room above us. We called up the reception and they promised they will send someone to check that. We stayed in our room until 8pm as we tried to relax a little bit, unfortunately due to the loud water noise ( and also some maintenance works going on in our area), we couldn’t! So at around 8pm we called again, asking for someone to come and check as we were sure from the previous experience we have had (with the plugs not working, stinky air con, etc) that nobody will bother to come and check!
At 8.30pm we showed up on the reception to remind them again. This time a girl Monica from the Guest Service told us she will make sure someone will go to our room and check.
At 11pm we came back to our room, noticing that nothing about the issue with the water has been done! We called to reception to complain, this time we spoke to the night shift Manager Carlos, who didn’t understand the problem at all so we kindly asked him to come to our room and see himself. At 11.30pm he arrived with his maintenance team and also he was astonished and sorry. Of course we have never received an update and for the following nights the noise continued...
6.45am of the following morning: we woke up early to go for an excursion and guess what?? There was no water running from the taps! The reception team were not aware of the problem! So we needed to ask our room neighbours to find out if this was only our issue. The water came back at 7.35am!!!
The internet connection was usually very slow, one day it didn’t work for more than half a day! Again, the reception team was not aware of the problem at all! I find it very unbelievable that the front desk team is not aware of the situation and problems going on in the resort! Nor they are willing to resolve the issues, and as we realised later, they don’t even report about any complaints/problems to the Managers.
On one afternoon we found a single bed in our bedroom, which we didnt ask for! Also one day we found a rubbish hanging from the fire extinguisher just right next to our door! As you can imagine, after all the stress and all the inconveniences, complaining every day about something not being done properly, about something not working properly or not working at all, this was the last bit of our patience!! As we realised that the staff was not helpful at all, nor the Managers – as they both promised that will speak with the main Residence Manager Mr Alexis, and nothing has been done – we decided to contact Mr Alexis by ourselves, as we were very tired of our situation and wanted to spend at least the last remaining days in peace and try to relax, as we spend a lots of money for the room upgrade and the holidays in general and have been treated in a very bad way and not like a paying customer!! A customer who spend a lots of money and expect a good service he paid for!
Finally on Saturday morning (the day before our departure), we met with Mr Alexis the General Residence Manager. We found it unbelievable to repeat all over again ( as we had already told everything to Marco first, then to Carlos again!) what kind of situation we were in and what kind of issues we have had with both of the rooms and that the staff haven’t done anything to helps us resolve those issues! We were expecting that the Manager will be able to resolve these problems and at least give us a compensation for the upgrade we paid upon arrival as we have been told that for better service we need to pay! However the service we received was more than poor!! No Customer service from any of the team at all!
As a paying customer, you would expect that the staff would inform the General Manager about our issues and he should try to resolve them – as the front desk team was not able to do so. Unfortunately this has not been done and we had to keep asking who is the main Manager and when can we meet him!
Anyway, Mr Alexis told us that there was nothing he could do for us, as we were leaving the next day! And he also asked us why we didn’t look for him before!!
I found it very unacceptable for the Manager to behave in this way!! We wasted with him more than 2 hours of our time, awaiting some kind of compensation ( at least the $ 270 for the upgrade) for all the inconveniences we have been caused! However, we have only received “Sorry, I can’t do anything for you.” Trust me I risked to fight with him because my patience was finished. Thanks God I tried to calm down.
Also on our departure day our flight has been delayed 7 hours, and as we were All Inclusive, we had all the food and drinks available, however we had to evacuate our room by noon and we wished to stay until 5pm (which was our new departure time), we have been asked to pay $40!!! After all we have been through, thanks to the unpleasant and unexperienced reception staff and the Managers including Mr Alexis the resort Manager, they were not even able to give us a room free of charge as a kind of compensation until our departure that afternoon!
The only thing we have been offered was 30 minutes in a “Courtesy Room”, just to take a shower before leaving. I don’t want to add anything about this, the pictures I attached will let you understand that until the end we have been treated like animals!!!
Unfortunately, the level of service we received has been horrible.
I am really sorry to read from other people that food is fantastic, maybe english, americans, becasue they eat sandwiches and fish and chips all the day, they think that was real great and tasty food...I am sorry to disappoint you guys, but nothing special at all! I have to say that the only restaurant where you can eat a bit better is the japanese and italian, all the rest is crab!

I forgot ...the beach does not exist at all! It has been built artificially!, and it is wide not more than 3 metres...ridiculous. If it is windy the sea "eats" the beach, and for the next days you will find people try to rebiuld the beach...unbelievable!!!!

Enjoy your stay in Hotel Catalonia!!! If I can suggest guys, go to Cozumel...beaches are huge and the sea is gorgeous, dont waste your time in Catalonia...is a 3star, not more, with poor service, except for the restaurants and bars people...they are really king and great with you...all the time!

Ciaoooo

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

This was my first time at an all-inclusive and it did not disappoint. We wanted a place to relax not think about meals or drinks but still have a few options for fun, which the CAT provided and then some. Tips - upgrade your room if you can. It's only 20-$25 pp and it's worth it. If you're on a romantic getaway, get the honeymoon package $25pp and you get the following: chocolate covered strawberries, champagne, a romantic candle light dinner (we had lobster), a day at the spa (the spa was GREAT), a room with an outdoor tub, great shower & extra restaurant vouchers. When ordering drinks, look out for the name brands and specify that you'd like it made with that particular liquor - you'll avoid unnecessary headaches. Bring your own snorkeling gear for hours of fun exploration. The beach was beautiful - a little rocky but clear water and nice waves. We didn't know the catamaran trips were free until it was too late, so make sure to sign up for it early morning. The food was great (we kept it simple) - grilled fish, salads, fruits, and we made our own fish tacos. We tried the tapas (great for a sunset drink) the italian (salmon & octopus lovely, the steak was good), the mexican (fine), the crepes were deeelicious, the japanese was booked the night we wanted to go. The Michael Jackson show was AWESOME and the nightclub was as fun as you make it.
Definitely take one day to do a tour to Tulum, the caves & cenotes - it was amazing!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!