“Well worth the money!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Mz. 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77782, Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Oklahoma City
“Well worth the money!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

My wife and I chose this resort because we were taking another couple as a Christmas gift to them and we wanted to keep our expenses down. Let me say we were not dissapointed!

First let me say that my wife booked this through Cheap Caribbean and that was the way to go. When we arrived we waited about 15 mintues and were picked up by a shuttle that took us straight to the hotel, piece of cake.

Rooms: We are used to staying in a 5 star resort and when we got there were expecting something that was a step down but to be honest we were very pleased with the rooms. Yes they are smaller but they were nice, comfortable beds, very cool, and very quiet. My only advice is ask if oyur room has a shower/bath combo or just a shower. My wife likes to take baths before bed and our room just had a delux shower. No problem, just a tip for some of you!

Service: Was amazing! EVERYONE from the dinner staff to the pool bar staff to the entertainment staff were outstanding. The lady cleaning our room was great as well. We came back each day to a cute little towel sculpture. Rooms were kept spotless and we did not deal with ANY problems the entire week.

Beach: We loved this as well. Yea it is a little rocky but we brought the slip on shoes everyone recommended and they were fine. We did not get a chance to snorkel on our beach but heard it was great as well. ALOT to do from volleyball, bocce ball to sailing to water activities. No problem getting chairs if you made it out somewhat early.

Entertainment: Went to one show called NIGHTMARE and it was terrific! They have shows in the theatre every night. We only made the one but heard great things about all the others as well. Expecially the Lion King.

Food/Drinks: I was worried after reading reviews here about the food but man these people are way off. The buffets are great! They have all different types of theme nights and they offer a wide choice of food. We honestly enjoyed everything we ate while we were visiting. We did eat at three of the restaurants where you need reservations. The Japanese restaurant was the best but the Mexican and Steakhouse restaurants were tremendous as well. Drinks were available everywhere you turned. Pool bars had great service and could make anything you could think of! I got hooked on the mudslides!

Excursions: We went on 2 different trips. One was a snorkling trip that we were not too impressed with and the other was the NEW park X-PLOR. Trust me, go visit XPLOR. It is a little pricy but well wirth the visit. 11 ziplines, undergournd caves where you boat and swim, lunch served, underground caves you explore on a water/land type of 4 wheeler. It was a blast! Also went to PDC a few times. Shuttle is not good to take because it only runs twice per day which sorta sucked but oh well, it was only 14$ one way for the group. I DO SUGGEST a place in PDC called Oasis to get a massage.. My wife and I went there, paid 90$ and got a free drink and both got an hour 1/2 long massage.. We loved it so much we went back the next day for another visit! Talk to Tony (Antonio, speaks very good english!) he will hook you up! A friend of mine and I also went golfing at the resort PLAYACAR which is close to the Cat, WELL WORTH IT!!

We had a terrific time. When we go back, and we will, we will spend more time just site seeing around our resort. We never made it to the Marina or anywhere around the outside of the Cat.. That we regret!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (664)
  • Polish first
Leesburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

This was our second visit to the Cat and we enjoyed it even more than the first. After two enjoyable stays, I can’t understand why some of the people write negative reviews. However, my suggestions to those folks who want a fridge in their room, a coffee maker and no charge safe are to upgrade. The suites are great and for a few dollars more they provide an exceptional upgrade. A sleeping and living area; nice patio with a tub, a spacious bathroom and in particular the shower are great for a family or a couple. The stocked mini fridge, coffee maker, safe and flat panel televisions really make the package complete.

The rooms were always kept in immaculate condition. Every day there was a different piece of towel art. On the one day that they forgot to stock the fridge, I called the front desk and someone was there within ten minutes cold beers in hand.

The grounds are beautiful as well; some one is always tending to something to make sure that the facility is in tiptop shape. We tended to stay on the part of the beach that is near the lagoon. This area afforded us easy access to both the lagoon and the bay. One did not need waters shoes in this area. The bay side was great for snorkeling and if one desires to feed the fish they would literally eat out of your hand. The beach area was always very clean.

The food at both the specialty restaurants and buffet was very good. If you expect a 5 star restaurant you will be disappointed. However, if you realize that you are in an all inclusive with people from different cultures and tastes, I think you will be happy with the quality and choices. We enjoyed the Mexican, Grill and Japanese restaurants. One word of note about the steak in the Grill; it is Mexican beef and therefore, will not be as tender as US Angus beef. It is certainly good but not as tender.

I felt the service at all of the bars was very good; the drinks were not watered down and as a matter of fact they may have been a little on the strong side. We always did tip and I believe this is why we received such excellent service at the bars. A note on tips; these folks work so hard. I never saw anyone with a sour face; they always had a smile on their faces and were always very helpful.

Our interaction with the A team was very limited as my wife and I are early to bed types; however, they would always ask if you wanted to be involved in an activity and if you said no; they would smile and be on their way. All in all they seemed like very nice young men and ladies.

We have stayed at other AI’s but in our opinion the Cat is one of the best vacation values in the area. We are looking forward to our third visit.

Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

I must say it has been a few months, since we went. But when I read that someone was telling people to go to the Palace resorts I felt compelled to write. First off the Catalonia Resort and The Palace Resorts are not in the same category. The Catalonia is more of an upper Mid-Scale resort they attract regular everyday people wanting to have a great vacation and not drain their bank account at the same time. The Palace resorts are Upscale and OVER PRICED, you will pay for it several times over and above the price you will pay at the Cat. I have stayed at a few 5 star resorts in Riviera Maya and I like it. However, hands down would recommend the Cat just for the pure over all experience I had with the resort itself, the guest clientele and resort staff.

I had a blast 3 out of the 3 times I have stayed. Didn't always have a king bed, that was ok. We always have had a garden view... but I expect that when booking Run of House. Each time the room was nice, clean sheets/towels etc, running utilities.

We have always hooked up with other couples wanting to have a great vacation experience just as we wanted. This resort has a great spa, water sports (you need water shoes because of the rocks on the beach) The lagoon is very nice, no rough waves. But if you’re into that the regular beach is for you. I thought the food was good, several options. Drinks were good with many options.

We all have to remember when you book and put in a "request " for a King...smoking/non...views.... is just that a request...you may get it, or not. Don't let that wreck your vacation.

So go to the Cat and enjoy yourself because you’re on vacation and you can!

PS- Puerto Adventura is so cute! Just a walk away, you can book Deep Sea Fishing, Scuba, Dauphin swim. (Cheaper than the hotel offers and Better) We also liked the shops.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
pantego, texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

My family, wife, and three young men ages 17, 19 and 22 went to the Catalonia with lots of expectations, since we had stayed last year at the resort. This being my 24th trip to the area, I did know what to expect via transfers and such. We started out by flying with American Airlines, I will have to say they are the best, I have flown others, Mexicana, Continental, and the charters. Their service and knowledge is great. We flew into Cozumel and took the government owned transfers to the ferry, cost $4.50 per person. The ferry ride was $8.50 per person, very nice air conditioned boat fast with bar service on board, beers were $2, and we did consume quite a few, those young men being able to drink did have some funny moments. When we arrived in Playa I was going to arrange for taxis to take us to the Catalonia, but my wife was approached by a Budget rep telling they had a car at $35 per day including all insurance, she of course said why not, I rented the car, a brand new Renault 3 door mini suv, with stick shift, it was great. Being the first time I have rented in Mexico I was a little wary, but it turned out very nice.

Once we got in the car we all had forgotten our mugs, it is necessary if you want a drink to stay cool very long in Mexico, so we take off to Wal-Mart, I let my wife and boys go into the store, 30 minutes later, they come out carrying beer, floats and the mugs. I guess ladies like to shop. We then take the road south and arrived at the Puerto Adventures entrance, it is gated with guards and the works, they waved us through, and I guess we look like tourist, LOL. We arrived unloaded our bags and checked in, no drama, they had my reservation I had made the night before through their home company’s web site in Spain, yes the internet does work. We paid very little to stay since it was just after the Flu scare. Since we paid so little I did not expect great rooms, we got first floor which we love on the Rivera side, the other side was closed the hotel was only 50% occupied. Room was nice clean and simple the bed was hard, I called for an egg crate and they put it on sometime during the evening while we at the beach. Both rooms. The boy’s room was down the hall, not next door which was great, a little space is great. We used the room safe in our room, I like it so we used it, even though we have never had anything stolen in Mexico.
After we change we go to the beach and get a drink from the snack bar, we get great seats on the beach, of course we apply sun screen every two hours, we are trying to be good examples to our boys, it works, no one was sunburned when we got home. I head over to get the reservations for the restaurants, the lady is not very nice, but it is ok, could you see talking to people who are expecting miracles every day. She tells us we are too late for tonight’s reservations, I said ok, but try to tip to change her mind, she says no, I guess the bartenders was more accommodating, I never had anything but top shelf liquor the whole time. We know we want to eat each night at the steak restaurant and we want the last sitting, 9pm. People ask why, well we are beach lovers we stay at the beach all day and don’t want to worry about showering at 5:30 to get a 6 pm reservations, the only catch is they will only let me reserve a table of 4. So each night I approach the head waiter and palm him $20 dollars for a table of 5 it is worth the money, we tip every drink we get, and tip for service, usually before the meal. Our meals are wonderful, we get steak and shrimp every night, and it was good.

Hint go to the bar up the stairs between the Mexican and Italian restaurants, it has a great view and some of the best drinks. My wife even said her beer was colder at this bar. My two oldest sons and I hit up the Japanese restaurant bar before dinner one night, I was being served by a bartender who I remembered from the last trip, and we were served some of the best liquor you could get, even in the states. Remember this is all inclusive, of course he was tipped very well.
Since the resort was only at 50 percent the sports bar was closed, and the disco was moved to the beach bar, I liked it better than the disco, directly on the beach, with dancing and the works, we stayed up each night till 1. We got up early, at least my wife and I did. LOL We did have ice cream one night it was great, get the chocolate lovers crepes with extra scoops of ice cream.
The first morning we did get up and drive to Playa, we wanted to go to Sams, it was great, Kahula was $8 a liter, at the airport it is 9.50. We also went back to Wal-Mart, my middle son went with us to get cigars, must be a rite of passage to smoke a cigar. I will always get a rental car from now on, it allowed total mobility and no set schedule. I have in the past rented a van to pick us up at the airport, but I know now that renting a car is the way to go.
The next morning we got up and had breakfast, and left the resort at 10 to swim with the turtles at Akumal, what a treat, easy to find, parking was $2 with tip, no entrance fee, we have our own equipment and spent three hours on the beach snorkeling with turtles. I was the last in the water, so I got the left over snorkel from the boys, it was leaking so I walked to the dive shop on the beach and asked how much to rent one, they handed me one, and said free, just bring it back, I gave them the old one and he said, thanks the clip is worth the free rental. LOL, just be nice and people will be nice to you. I snorkeled about an hour saw a couple of big turtles, rays and barracudas, my wife and middle son snorkeled two hours. Of course I did find the nearest bar for Dos Equis, I was joined by my oldest who sat and drank with me. It was very nice on the beach on bar stools being served cold beer, a little pricy, $3 a bottle but worth it all the way. We head back to the resort have lunch and a couple of hours of beach time.
We head to playa to start our ritual of walking 5th street shopping and drinking beer the whole time. I set a time of 2 hours of shopping, of course we end up staying 5 hours. We pick up some silver, very nice stuff and Cuban cigars. Be warned they will offer you pot, other drugs, and ladies of the night, so let your kids know up front. No problems with us, since we are used to it, but if it bothers you, don’t go to 5th street to shop. It was fun, the beers up and down the street cost 1 to 1.5 a piece. We left our car at the Wal-Mart parking lot and tipped the guy a couple of dollars to watch, it was only a 5 block walk by the police station and central square to get to the shopping area. I noticed that prices dropped once the cruise boat left. LOL
As you may see we have fun on our vacations, if something isn’t correct, we move on and away from the issue, we don’t let king bed selections, room locations ruin our vacation. People in Mexico are so nice, ask about their families, they love to talk about them and you will find they are just like us, just working in a nicer surrounding.
When we left, we drove to the Cancun Airport, I dropped of the family and returned the car to budget located at the new Marriott on the Airport Hwy. We checked in and got home with no problems. None of us got sick, I have never been sick other from drinking or eating too much in Mexico, of course I drink bottled water, but brush from the facet. Hope you have a good time at the Cat, we have and will probably go back in December, we have again stayed other places, both in Cancun and Cozumel, the Cat is the best deal going, not the nicest, but it will work.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Rocklin, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

Our family (kids 3 and 5) booked this trip only 6 weeks ago due to our travel agent's recommendation and for the values that can be had in the Cancun area right now as a result of the swine flu and cartel problems the news is reporting. We have been to many inclusive resorts (normally in Cabo as it is a shorter flight) so we knew what to expect from other experiences and after reading the other reviews felt comfortable that this place would offer what we were looking for.
The airport- we arrived in Cancun on a Sunday afternoon and it took us over 90 minutes to get thru customs. Apparently, if you arrive on a weekday the wait time is minimal. We used Lomas travel to get to the resort and felt completely safe. The ride from the airport did take 80 minutes even though the resort is only 85 kilometers away. Once you exit the airport and feel the heat you immediately feel thirsty. Avoid the bar right outside the door and wait until you are in your Lomas van. They had beers for $2.50 to enjoy on your ride to the resort.
Arrival to the resort - we were the only guests in the lobby when we arrived around 7pm. Check in was quick but unfortunately we were given a room with only one bed. The bell boy seemed to be the most upset after hauling our luggage all the way across the resort. A correction was made and we ended up in a standard room (214) not too far from the lobby. The room was located in a quiet place and had a view of the interior grounds. Nothing fancy about the room but the tile floors and bathroom give it a "cleaner" feel. The a/c also worked great. On the issue of upgrades- I tried everything I could to get a suite upgrade at a discounted rate but had no luck. The suites are very nice and the charge is $25 usd per adult (in the suite) per night. Thus, it would cost us $50/night for a total of $350 over 7 nights. I even went as far as having $250 on the counter to offer for the suite but was told from front desk these are set costs. After a few days at the resort, other guests we had met shared the same experience which verified the resort is consistent in this matter.
Food- Yes, I too was surprised you could only eat at the themed restaurants 3 times during your stay. However, with two little kids, this might have been a blessing. I found the buffets to be above average. Our family loves fresh Guacomole and they had it everyday at lunch and dinner. Big chunks of avocado and many choices of fresh cut up salsa. I liked the idea of picking out as many steaks, pork chops, fish and having the cook prepare them right in front of me. The cooks tend to cook things to well done so stay on top of it if you like a medium rare steak. They also had a pasta bar. You put pasta and all the fixings on a plate. The cook takes the plate and cooks it for you in a skillet and adds whatever kind of pasta sauce you might want. The entire family had no issues with the food. From the made to order eggs in the morning to the desert restaurant at night- everything was above average. If you have more questions on the food simply send me a question via trip advisor.
Pools and Ocean- We went to the ocean in the morning and ventured to the pool in the afternoon. Pictures on trip advisor show the ocean and pools. I would go to your local Walmart, etc, and buy a cheap pair of water shoes ($7) for the ocean and a snorkel set ($15) to use. We were at the pools and ocean for almost the entire day and the kids never lost interest.
Going into town- we never went to Playa De Carmin as we had little kids and felt the resort offered enough for us. However, we did go out the resort front doors and travelled 500 yards to the marina. In the marina you will find some local shops, restuarants, and of course the dolphins and sea lions that everyone talks about. We took a walk into the marina each night from 4pm to 5pm to see the dolphins being fed and trained right in front of you. No charge for this. And again, never did our family feel we were not safe.
Shows- each night in the theatre they had something going on. We enjoyed relaxing after dinner at the theatre or at the bar near the theatre where a band would play.
Bars- many to choose from and located all over resort. You could ask for anything and they would make it. Top shelf liquor given when asked for- Jose Traditional, Stoli's, Beam, etc. Once they recognized you, you no longer had to ask. Beer on tap was cold and was perfect by the pools. Unlike other resorts in Mexico who offer only Modello products, this resort stuck with Dos Equis which was perfect.
Clientele- we found that most people at the resort were from Europe. We enjoyed getting to know several different families from the UK, Spain, Scotland and Portugal and thought the blend of nationalities was great. Starting on Friday, local Mexican citizens come to the resort to spend the weekend. Yes, the resort gets more crowded but we had no issues with it. So much food and space- not an issue for us and the Mexican families were fun to watch- they know how to have a good time.
Gym- nice gym with great equipment and they have spinning classes each morning. Gym opens at 7am which I thought was late considering I like to work out before my family wakes in the morning. Several others made this comment as well.
Laundry mat- several posts state the resort has a coin operated laundry mat. This is not true. It was removed 4 months ago. Housekeeping offers laundry services at a charge though.
Bottled water- standard rooms get 2 bottles of water per trip. Other rooms get bottled water. We knew this going in the packed a few extra bottles. You can refill your bottles at a lot of places in the resort. My favorite spot was at the gym each morning.
Final comments- Yes, you can find a fancier resort somewhere else if your willing to pay for it. However, the service is great at this resort and the food is above average. Throw in the nice pools and ocean and you have the recipe for a nice week. We wanted a place that offered good food, swim able ocean, lots of pools, and entertainment and we found it at one heck of a price. Weather was great and the kids liked the daily thunder and lightning storms that came and went quickly. Safety was never an issue and my 3 and 5 year old boys never had any stomach problems or health issues.
I e-mailed a lot of those that had posted a review before we went so please feel free to send me a question thru trip advisor if desired.
The Louie's in Rocklin, California.........

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

PROS: The resort is beautiful. The grounds are kept nicely. The beach area at night under the stars with the moon on the waves is so gorgeous it's overwhelming. The Spa was truly delightful- great couple's massage with private jacuzzi time, and the Spa pool was private, practically deserted, and filled with awesome water fountains. Loved it.

We took the Fury Catamaran excursion to Cozumel and loved it. Trip to Tulum was totally worth it. The nightly shows were surprisingly entertaining and in an air-conditioned indoor theater. They had plenty of lounge chairs at all times on the beach and by the pool. Pool entertainment was good. Drinks were more or less good.

Good times overall.

CONS: As stated before by others check in was HORRIBLE. They didn't have a King Room for us, even though we reserved one. We were told to come back five different times, over two days, including one fun time where they told us our request for a King bed had been cancelled. By whom? Who knows- they finally moved us after literally a couple of hours of arguing over two nights of our vacation. Thank you Pilar. Miserably poorly managed on that front.

The food was fine. Some was pretty good. Drinks were fine, though they don't stock champagne anywhere, which is my favorite drink that I've had at every other resort. They need to refill the buffets more frequently. The decor was dated and the bedspread not very nice. However, the air conditioner worked well which meant it was always comfortable.

BOTTOM LINE: I've traveled four years running to the Mayan Riviera and would hands down recommend the Palace Resorts over this one. I've stayed at the Moon Palace and Aventura Palace- so much better food, no reservations required for the theme/sit-down restaurants, room service included, and all rooms have jacuzzis and a huge shower with luxury bath products. The CAT is fine and if you've booked it, you probably won't be disappointed. But honestly, you can do better. I will next time.

PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

This place was an ok resort. First when we got off the plane we had to take a taxi that cost us 120.00 us dollars. (Later I found it should have only been 65.00) The ride was an hour and 20 minutes, not 40 minutes, like they said when I booked it. When we checked in, I found that All-inclusive was mostly buffet and you only had three meal tickets to eat at their all a carte resturants. So, of the 6 nights I was there, we can only eat at three. Buffets were plain food and nothing spectacular. The all a carte places had great food, but again, only three tickets to try them and you could only go to one once. Seems silly to me. The staff weren't as friendly as I think they should have been. The lady that makes your reservations for food, was just rude. She was ignoring us and talking to her co-worker in spanish the whole time and walked away. I wasn't even rude or mean to her. You can only make reservations between 8-4. So its very inconvient. Now the beach was nice for someone that doesn't like the big waves that knock you over (I am one of those people that do). There is alot of rock on the beach an in the water, you have to watch your step or you can hurt yourself. They have people that entertain you between 8-4, I was mostly at the beach, but it didn't seem to entertaining, one day I saw them have everyone make paper airplanes and throw them across the water for fun. ???Wow, what a good time. They do have two nice pool bars and the staff that works there is great also the lobby staff and the all a carte resturants are wonderful. Its mostly the buffett people that are not so friendly. Don't get me wrong, I did have a good time, but I just don't think I'd want to go back to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!