“Outstanding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Manzana 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW via mobile

Amazing,the staff cannot do enough to make your holiday memorable,immaculately maintained,beautiful! excellent value for money,will recommend to all and hope to return again.Cannot understand any negative reviews,the only downside was the greedy loudmouth americans who were disrespectful to the hardworking couteous staff

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (763)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Only one problem with this place and that's the flight, but it's worth it I booked it last minute to join my girl friend and her friend I had to have the upgraded room but well with it they where so nice when asked for a room with a better view they moved me right away no question and even up graded my girlfriends band so she could enjoy all the extras I had,

Food fantastic in every way,
Service brilliant all staff very helpful smiling and laughing
Surrounding where fantastic and so clean

As for complain from our American cousins all I can say is I think it's the way they spoke at staff and demand things rather than ask,

I can highly recommend this resort and I plan to go back,

Enjoy Jon and Karen

Sydney, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

We just returned from this resort 1 day ago and I have to say, it was a little slice of heaven. This resort has 5 pools and 8 restaurants. The resort is great because it is very small and very easy to get around. The food at every restaurant was good. The Japanese and steak house were amazing. You will never go hungry on this resort. My kids are very fussy eaters and they would have found something everyday to eat. This resort is extremely clean and the staff are exceptionally friendly. The only two downfalls are 1] The beach. There honestly is not much of a beach. There is a great little sandy area for kids. The shoreline is rocky, but as you get in a little further, it is sandy. 2] the shops on the resort DO NOT accept any cash. You charge it to your room and when you check out it is either on a credit card or pesos. No American money. It was kind of a waste for us to bring any. This resort is very child friendly. I was very impressed that every pool had a child friendly area that was much more shallow than the rest of the pool. They also have a child club with activities. This is a great resort for either families or couples. For anyone looking for a smaller resort, this is the place. The hotel was about 1 hour from airport. We had a large bus with a bathroom on board and beer, so the drive took no time. Enjoy!!!

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Penner1997,

On behalf of Catalonia Riviera Maya & Yucatan Beach, we would like to thank the time you are taking to share your feedback of your recent stay, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Your compliments on our service are what we aim to hear from each guest. I will be sure to share your kind words with the staff.

It will be a pleasure for us to receive you again in the near future so we will have another opportunity to pamper you and exceed your expectations.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

I simply do not know where to start with this place -- on the surface it's excellent -- great views, lovely rooms and wonderful setting. Dig deeper and you find staff you dislike tourists, managers so disengaged that they tell you "it's just like that here" and corruption so bad that waiters will try to sell you drugs when they see you in a market! To top this, my partner got ill - they would not send water to the room and only when she passed out on the floor did they tske notice-- even then it took them 20 minutes to get a wheel chair and Over and hour to call an ambulance --- after taking over £200 to see an in house doctor. They have some lovely staff who were very sorry but no systems, no remorse and quite frankly s scary situation that this place remains open. I will be taking further action and despite all my complaints the manager refused to meet or respond to an email...oh.. And birds eat out of the Buffet and staff laugh about it. If you want a nice break, go somewhere else!

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Nick W,

First of all we would like to thank you for writing your opinion about your stay in our hotel, as the opinion of our guests is very important for us.

We hope you decide to return to visit us in the near future in order to give us the opportunity not only to meet, but to exceed your highest expectations.

Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We have been to this hotel a couple of times before several years ago. Firstly The hotel pictures that Thompson are using to market this hotel is many years out of date it shows a lovely small but beautiful beach but this was washed away after a hurricane years ago and now has a rusty old hoist floating just offshore so the pictures in the brochure are VERY misleading at best however we did know this before we left.
The hotel is pretty with well kept gardens and generally friendly staff.

However the hotel has decided in its wisdom to introduce a priviledge club and travel club (this is like a nasty spanish timeshare system with hardsell). This hotel is not good enough for either as the beach is not good enough and it doest have the facilities or good enough customer service skills to support it.

I e-mailed the hotel before leaving to request a standard room with king size bed not two doubles and to reserve a table in the bamboleo restaurant for my husbands birthday the day after we arrived I never received a response, should have suspected something then.

On arrival it took ages to book in and there were only three of us he told us we were in a an economy room with two beds. We were told we could upgrade to a better room for 25 dollars per night however why would you want to pay 350 dollars extra ontop for your holiday cost for a better room in this hotel when you could pay the extra in the first place and go to a 5 star hotel where ALL the facilities and beaches are far better....

The hotel was much as we expected but the specialised restaurants were a free for all (you have to queue for them) and you could not book them. I hate queueing here let alone on holiday so never went to any as there was too long a wait.
The food in the buffet restaurant was good but we asked for sparkling wine with our dinner and some nights we got it other nights we were told there wasnt any after we saw waiters serving it to others?????

The room was cleaned every day but again thompson brochure said standard rooms have a minibar with beer water and soft drinks this wasnt true either only water in the fridge.

The hotel is near a beautiful port and it is a nice to stroll out in the evening to watch the dolphins and boats and you can borrow bikes and go to the calletta and round the resort however you cannot use the bikes early morning or evening when its cool.

Towards the end of our holiday we went to the room to get ready to go out and there was water all over the floor it was dripping from the lights in the ceiling so husband put the waste paper basket under it to catch the water and then reported it at reception and we went out. When we came back 3 hours later turned on the light and sure enough water was coming out of the light fitting nothing had been done the receptionist put it in a book !!!. So my husband went back to reception to tell them its dangerous and this time the girl did ring maintenance and they came out and fixed it.

The following night we were given a questionnaire to complete and we were given sparkling wine chocolates etc as a sweetner. We completed it and put poor for the reception due to the problems with the reception and I put a commennt on about the rusty boat being an eyesore and mentioned the privileged club. We found it offensive that you work hard and pay for a holiday thats not cheap to be told you are in economy and are not privilged.
This hotel before this privileged and travel club started was lovely every one was friendly we booked for the special restaurants all the holidaymakers mixed well but this time the americans seemed to congregate round the pool bar during the day getting drunk and loud or round the bar outside the restaurant getting drunk seeing drunks being sick outside a restaurant before your meal is gross. Some holiday makers actually thought they really were privliged if they upgraded their room.

The few times we have upgraded we went to a 5 star and we had our own restaurants beach pool room service etc but if we used other parts of the hotel then you queued up just like anyone else but at this hotel.

We were invited to explain the comments on the questionaire which we did they seemed to take it onn board ans said that they would speak to the managers and see what could be done. Guess what they did nothing. Overall we enjoyed ourselves which we would wherever we go but I would have been very upset if I thought the hotel was just like the pictures in the brochure.
This is not important but the pool under the walkway was blue and pretty but has now been painted a disgusting green.

Finally I really hope that if the management put reply on to these comments it changes the record as all their comments are the same and repetitive.

Room Tip: Dont pay for an upgrade the extra isnt worth what you get
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Dear River64,

Thank you very much for your detailed and constructive feedback. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed the facilities, yet I am disappointed on the points you have highlighted with regards to the shortfalls you have encountered.

Your comments are extremely important to us, I would like to assure you that your views have been taken on board by our staff.

With kindest regards,

Oceanside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My wife and I stayed at the Catalonia from April 7th-April 12th. We were hesitant to book as we read such a variety of reviews from excellent to awful. We came to the Riviera Maya for our honeymoon 5 years ago but stayed at the excellence which was outstanding but very pricey. So we searched for a great deal and the Catalonia was exactly that.

We arrived at Cancun airport around 230pm and were greeted by what seemed like hundreds of different taxi companies and shuttles. We had booked round trip transportation through olympus tours. The total for 2 people round trip was $94 and if you use the coupon code "retailmenot" at check out you get another 10% off. So our total cost was $85 for 2 people round trip. By far the cheapest I found. The hotel is about 45-60 minutes from the airport which was something we werent looking forward to after spending the day traveling. In our shuttle were two other families which they dropped off first. They pack the shuttle with families staying in the same vicinity so it is not that bad.

The hotel is located in a gated community surrounded by security. Everyone entering and exiting must have a permit to do so. This makes you feel very safe. Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted with a colorful fruity drink and began the check in process. They found our reservation and we asked to do the upgrade to privilege but unfortunately we traveled during spring break and the hotel was full. Actually the hotel was so full they offered to give us a free upgrade during our stay but we would have to stay the first night at their sister hotel in playa del carmen. We declined that offer and were brought to our room. They told us to check back in the morning to see if an upgraded room would be available. We did for the first 2 mornings and nothing was available.

The room was nice. Basic in amenities but perfectly suitable for what we were looking for. Bed was comfortable, air conditioning worked wonderfully and the balcony had a nice view of the garden and the pool.

Every morning we went down for breakfast around 8am. We did the buffet breakfast at mercado each day and were completely satisfied with the choices. We did lunch next to the pool area where they served hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken, fries, etc each day. Quick and easy.

Two nights we did dinner at the buffets and the other 3 nights we went to the italian, steakhouse and mexican. In order I would say Mexican was the best, the steakhouse was okay and the italian wasnt good at all.

The staff is super friendly and attentive. The wifi worked very well in our room and by the pool areas but was spotty everywhere else. Not a problem for us as we needed to check in with our family periodically and it worked every time.

I give the hotel 5 stars and would definitely come back but there were some minor issues that we did run into...

First the hotel does not tell you about anything going on throughout the day or evening. At other hotels we were given a daily itinerary under our doors each morning. For example, there is a beach dinner party included one night during the week but we didnt know about it until it was going on. They should have a better way of communicating.

Second is the upgrade. We wanted to upgrade our room to privilege but since it was spring break and the hotel was full we were unable to. That I totally understood. Why not still be able to upgrade the services and amenities provided excluding the room. We still would have paid for that upgrade. We wanted access to the nicer area of the beach and to the chill out bar but werent allowed. Kind of made you feel second class but again it didnt ruin our time.

One day we did a free shuttle to playa del carmen (which I only knew about because I read about it here) which stops at a stand alone jewelry store for 1 hour. We had no intentions of buying anything at the store and let our sales guy know that when we arrived. If you dont let them know they will bombard you for the hour trying to get you to buy stuff. Then the shuttle takes you to playa del carmens fifth avenue for 2 hours and brings you back.

We will definitely be back and will be upgrading to privilege during booking.

Room Tip: Upgrade to privileged if possible
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Dear RR120,

First of all we would like to thank you for forwarding us your comment as the opinion of our guests is very important to us and our main source to improve our facilities and service, here at the Catalonia Riviera Maya & Yucatan Beach.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Knowing that there are 3 persons on the room, they only prepared 2 bottles of water...that's is everyday. So every time we return to our room we have to call room service to give us another bottle of water...we called 06:10pm...went to dinner. Coming back to our room still no 3rd bottle of water. Called again @ 8:15....waited...till I called again @930pm...(I ended up drinking the pop)....called again @ 1045pm....i just went out and drink water at their bar nearest to our room.this is a simple task...and to think we are an upgrade "privileged status " and it stated on there that we have a 24 hour room service...

Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Dear Charles N,

Sorry to hear that your stay was not to your liking. We guarantee that we will seriously consider your feedback to improve our service.

Hotel Manager.

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!