“Overall Great Value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Mz. 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77782, Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Naperville
“Overall Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

We stayed here as a family vacation a little while ago. i rate this a great value for the money. The staff was extremely friendly, including the beach staff in getting rentals etc..
I would reccamend walking down the street to the Dolphins and the restaurants and bars nearby. Also the ruins are not too far away (we rented a car for a quick drive) My only complaint as a beer drinker was the only choice was Dos XX. The restaurants are real good except the steak house. I reccamend to get your reservations immediately.

Overall a great family resort with lots of activities and a great value for the money!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family

4,131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (652)
  • Polish first
West Kelowna BC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

My wife and I recently returned from a week at the Cat. We stayed Feb 28th through March 7th. For the price we paid, it was excellent value. The staff was very good, in particular the animation or A team with their crazy antics during the day like the Crazy Game, pool aerobics, salsa dancing, etc. A shout out to the young Italian girl ( forgot her name) that was the hostess of most of the night shows including the Friday Kareoke. She had tons of energy and was always encouraging the crowd on. As well, their night shows were very good and kept us well entertained.

The grounds were very clean and pretty, not much garbage or eyesores around. I enjoyed time in the pool albeit a bit cool most days compared to the warmer ocean. However, lying in the sun for a few hours makes one hot, so a refreshing tip in the pool were always welcome. As for the beach, not much of one, but if you enjoy the free kayaking and snorkeling around the lagoon area, it was wonderful. Our last two days there found it very windy so the red flags were up making it very tough to snorkel or use the boats.

Food was average at the buffets, but the ala carte dinners were wonderful. We tried the Steak House, Mexican and Japanese. Enjoyed the antics of our Japanese cook "Jackie Chan" especially his crazy poses for the cameras and the pieces of egg he threw into our awaiting mouths!! As all other reviews say, book your three dinners as soon as you can, we ended up with 9pm times ( which is not too bad as we spent most of the day outside by the pool or touring around) so if you are an early eater, you might be out of luck.

We toured around, take the collectivos where you can, but make sure you don't get ripped off. We were told 20 pesos to go down the highway, but twice, they said 25. Not a big deal when you do the conversion to Canadian dollars, but my only complaint of our week in Mexico concerned a few of the vendors/taxi people that were trying to take advantage of the fact you are on vacation and might not have all of your "senses". I recommend you convert your US dollars to Pesos as soon as you can as most attractiions ( the ruins, Xel-Ha, shopping) offer better deals if you pay in pesos. We were getting about 14 pesos for each US dollar so use that as a guide. Some places were only giving 10 pesos per US D so keep a watch on that. I think most Mexicans are fine people, but there are unfortunately the others that try to take advantage of the language differences to rip you off.

In terms of travelling outside the resort, consider the bike rentals to take around the Marina area ( great dolphin and seal shows, lots of stores and restaurants there if you want to try something other than the hotel food a few times) as well as the 20 minute walk from the hotel to the front gate in which you can take the collectivo on the highway.

We rented a car one day, worked out with Budget car to about 86 Cdn dollars for a beat up car that had no gas in it. Again, the Budget guy was not bad ( was located right at the resort) but he told us $65 dollars US for everything, but did not tell us until we got our bill that he charged 15.3 pesos for each US to equal 994 pesos. Having said that, the car rental was okay as we went to Grand Cenote, Akumal beach and the Coba ruins that day. If you go to Coba, be prepared to walk alot if you want to see everything. The big pyramid climb is worth it, about 100 steps up to 143 feet, but coming down, if you are nervous do what we did and hang onto the rope and slide down on your rear!!

Other excursions we did included Tulum ruins, Xel-ha ( very good day there with the snorkelling, jumping off the Cliff of Courage, the bike rentals and the hammocks not to mention the excellent buffet lunch) and Playa Del Carman at night. See 5th avenue for a wonderful shopping/eating and soaking up the night life experience.

We are home now here in the Okanagan Valley of BC and freezing, but writing this review has made me a lot warmer and quite happy considering the wonderful week we had.

In conclusion, your trip is what you make of it. Tip the staff and they will be there for you. I heard from another traveller that some of the staff at the hotel only make 35 pesos per day, so if they do a good job for you at the bar, the restaurant, the housekeepers, TIP them 30-40 pesos each time and you will be rewarded in many ways!! It is Mexico, sometimes the Mexican minute ( time delay for doing something) comes out, but if you tolerate some of that, go ahead and enjoy the wonderful staff and grounds at the Riviera Maya.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

This was our first trip to Mexico and like alot of people on here we spent hours reading review after review. In our opinion you can't go wrong with this resort. The staff was wonderful, very friendly and entertaining. We had an actual ocean front room which this hotel has very few of, the view was beautiful. The only downfall was that there was a beach bar just below our room which didn't bother us much since our room was up higher. If you got any of the rooms below ours you would be looking right into the bar. Our room number was 3129. We had a King size bed and yes the mattresses are a little on the hard side but we got used to it. We also requested a roll away bed for our 12 year old son. We had no problems with our room, it had a small fridge which was stocked daily with soda and water, and a safe to keep our valuables in. The room was cleaned daily and everyday we had a different towel animal on our bed.

This hotel is great for snorkeling, beautiful reefs with all different kinds of fish, my husband and son even seen some squid. If you don't have your own snorkel gear they let you use theirs for an hour a day, next time we will take our own so we can snorkel longer. We did take water shoes after reading other reviews, the beaches are nice soft white sand but since there are alot of reefs in the water the water shoes were a must for us, expecially when we were snorkeling. We also took out the kayaks which was alot of fun and included for an our a day also. They have beach volleyball which my husband played almost daily, darts, pingpong tables, a tenniscourt on the top of one of the buildings, archery, scuba diving lessons in one of the pools twice a day, and poolside games daily. There are daily activities listed so you always have something to do. The staff is very friendly and entertaining!! There is also a marina thats only a 15 minute walk from the hotel that has fishing boats, dolphins, sealions and manitis you can swim with and smalls shops.

They had 2 buffets and a grill, the food for our taste was a little bland but since there was such a big variety we always found something we liked. They always had a variety of fresh fruit and a salad bar. We found out the best way to go (if you have a little patients to wait) at the buffets was to have them make your food fresh on the grill in the center of the buffet. You have a choice to eat at four different dinner reservations, you must book these early to get a table. We ate at the Mikato Japanese resteraunt which was wonderful, they cook your food fresh on a grill right in front of you and the chef puts on a great show! We also at at the italian dinner, it was our least favorite, but ok. The steak dinner was also very tasty, we had a T-bone which was very tender and flavorful so you dont need to use steak sauce. There is also a Mexcian dinner but I can't comment since we didn't make reservations to eat there. Make sure you reserve your dinners, they are very tasty and a little better than the buffets. Our favorite place to eat dessert in the evenings is the Crepery (I think that how you spell it). They have awsome crepe's, milkshakes and banana splits! They open at 5pm daily...yummmy

We went Feb 28th thru March 7th, the temperature during the day was in the lower 80's (nice) and the evenings got just a little cooler mid 60's to lower 70's so its best to take a jacket and pants for the evenings, being on the ocean side the wind was a little cool in the evenings.

The only complaint for this hotel was the pools aren't heated so the water was a little to chilly for us to swim. The ocean was just a little cool, but we eventually got used to the temperature. These are their winter months, but since we are from Ohio, I think we can handle Mexican winters.

If you want a nice clean, entertaining hotel with mixed age groups you can't go wrong with the Catalonia Riviera Maya. This is a gated community so we always felt very safe. One more tip...cabs can be very expensive, there are white vans that run along the highway that only charge $2 - $2.50 per person, you just have to remember to tell them when they get close to your drop off point.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
NIagara Region, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

After reading all the different reviews on various hotels before our vacation, we decided to try the Catalonia Riviera Maya based on the 'majority rules' system of reviews. The vast majority of people who stayed at the Catalonia, with a few exceptions, had an enjoyable stay and we did as well. Here are our experiences and tips:

At the time of booking we had requested a quiet area with a king-sized bed with Nolitours, which apparently doesn't get communicated to the actual hotel itself. As a result, upon our arrival we were put in a room overlooking the pool area with two double beds. The main pool area, although very attractive with palm trees, gardens and two large, beautiful free-form pools was the favoured location for the party and action set, so it was noisy during the day. We were looking for a quiet garden location away from the action, so we discussed this with Reception and were told to come back in the morning. In the morning we were moved to a quieter area, but still had two double beds. We spoke with Remco at Reception and the following morning (day three of our stay) he handed us keys to the new area in the Riviera Maya...the room was incredible! We paid an additional $125.00 for the remainder of our stay but it was worth every penny. The room in a newer, quiet section of the hotel gave us the experience that we were looking for...romantic, classy and gorgeous views of the gardens. THANK YOU REMCO FOR YOUR KINDNESS AND ACCOMMODATING MANNER! The bottom line on rooms: the staff corrected the problem as soon as they were able to. This is a busy hotel with constant turnover, and it took time for a room to become available that would meet our original request.

The large, buffet style restaurants were fine and well managed. Food was generally quite good, depending on your tastes and preferences. For healthy eaters there was an excellent selection of fresh fruit, freshly squeezed juices and lots of fresh choices. For the conventional set there were good choices for both North American mainstream tastes but also some nice local Mexican options as well. We felt that overall the meals were good, sometimes great and really quite acceptable.

The a la carte Mexican, Japanese and Italian restaurants were excellent. Yes, you must book early to get seating at convenient times, but we didn't experience any problems at all. We only had one late sitting (9:00 pm.) but other than that we were well accommodated for times of our choice. The Mexican restaurant was excellent! As was the Japanese. We loved the drinks served at the restaurants...margaritas, pina coladas....outstanding!

Yes, our bed was a little firm, but by the end of the week we were quite used to it and didn't present any problems.

This hotel is popular with a mixed selection of vacationers, including Canadians (like ourselves), Americans, Europeans and Latin Americans from all over the world. Lots of families with children of all ages, but also couples and adults as well. There is something for everyone here, and the hotel offers many amenities for activities including tennis, water sports, snorkeling, SCUBA diving lessons and so-forth. There is also a daily shuttle service available to and from Playa del Carmen which should be booked ahead of time but I was able to get seats twice without any reservations at all which offers some flexibility.

The tour guides at the hotel were wonderful....a special thank you to Catherine from Nolitours!

The hotel buildings, rooms and grounds are kept immaculate and the staff are friendly, hard working and efficient. It is worth the rewards to provide small tips for excellent service. The staff really appreciate tips in this country where the going pay rate is $20.00 per day, so don't begrudge small tokens of your appreciation which pays dividends in return.

We took advantage of the spa and it was a real treat. Just finished in October of 2008, the spa is one of the nicest facilities we've ever experienced.

All in all we had a wonderful vacation at the Catalonia Riviera Maya and we will definitely go back some day!

Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

This was our company's second stay at the Catalonia Riviera Maya and we had a very good time at this resort. I am hesitant to say much negative, but feel I must because my minor issues were kind of cast aside while I was there. Overall, exceptional service, friendly staff, decent food, and a great time. The only time I had trouble was trying to plan things for my group of 40 people before we arrived and actually leaving the resort. Our group was arriving on 4 different flights. In order to coordinate group activities, I wanted a comprehensive list of excursions that I could share with my group that they could book. Having this would save us and the reps a lot of time. Unfortunately this was not avaialble and people were flying around everywhere when we arrived trying to figure things out. We also wanted to have a group dinner one night of our trip and the only option the resort offered was a private buffet which would cost a minimum of $2000 for that many people. That doesn't make much sense for 1.5 hours to eat when we've already paid for all-inclusive. We instead took our money to the marina and had dinner at a local restaurant, Tiramisu, which was fantastic.

We checked out on March 8th and many of us had a late afternoon transfer. The hotel is gracious in offering hospitality rooms where you can check out on time but still reserve one of these rooms in order to shower and change afterwards. My husband and I booked a room and went out to enjoy ourselves for a few more hours. We showed up 10 minutes late for our room reservation, understanding we had 20 minutes left on the reservation to quickly clean up and leave. The concierge desk attendant was gone and didn't come back for another 10 minutes. We were one of two reservations for the room the entire day. Why did she have to leave right then? When she returned, we still wanted to use the room just to change at this point and she told us because we were late we couldn't have it. That did not make us very happy and she then told us it was impossible because someone was using the room now and in the shower. Why was anyone in that room when it was our reserved time? The only other reservation was after us. She then gave us a key to use a room on the Yucatan side of the resort and we were thoroughly disgusted with the whole process. Unhospitality room at this point. We changed, ran back to the Riviera Maya side and jumped on the bus to the airport.

I appreciate the staff's committment to service with the exception of this last part. It just struck me that if something in regards to scheduling is wrong, they refuse to help make it right.

I visited the spa which was very nice. Erika did a very good job of taking care of me during my session. They really could use some towels out and around the pools and jacuzzis. I didn't even use the pools because all I could my hands on in the locker room was a robe. Couldn't towel off very well if I soaked at all. The vapor room was broken, that's not such a big deal. However, no one escorted me to the spa/aqua area so I wasn't really sure what I could and couldn't do. I don't like to assume and I rarely have any kind of spa treatments so I just sat on the couch for 20 minutes until finally someone came walking through and talked to me. Not many spa employees and really no special attention before the treatment session started. Would I go again? Eh, maybe.

One scheduling side note: the Lomas travel rep, Luis, also was not accomodating in regards to transfer scheduling. While he works at the resort, I believe he is more of an employee of Lomas Travel than the resort itself. Half of our group was booked through Funjet with the transfers and tours for those people arranged through Lomas Travel. Flight times were changing througout the week and the reps for both Lomas and Traffic Tours told all of us to check with them on Saturday (towards the end of our stay) for a definite transfer time. Everyone got this taken care of with the expection of one couple. Luis with Lomas Travel told them they were too late and they'd either have to take a cab or pay an extra $30 to get on the transfer. We had already paid for transfers and they were checking in when they were told to. They paid the money after he made them very upset. and basically said there were no other options. I went and spoke with him the next morning after i found out about this, stating this was ridiculous, especially when we had three more transfers that were purchased and no one was going to use them because of a rented car. Lomas was getting $150 for doing nothing and asking for another $30 from people who already had pre-paid for travel. Why was checking in on Saturday okay for 10 other people but not the last two? It reaked of a scam and that in turn also ruined the last day of the trip for me. We left minus the $30 and gained a chip on our shoulders. Add insult to injury with the concierge and I was never happier to get back to Minnesota.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
washington state
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

This was our first trip to mexico and and all inclusive resort......Make sure when booking your trip to have transportation pre purchased a voucher is needed!! If you have never been to mexico it is a little different we are from Washington state so i am not used to police with machine guns and the poverty of the streets. Once we got to our resort it was a little piece of heaven thanks to the great staff and awesome did i say awesome entertainment staff WOW they were great. We were on our honeymoon and we had the king sweet which over looked the beach and look out bar LOVED our room it was clean and the maid service did towel art every day and made sure our fridge was stocked with water soda beer!!!! The food was buffet food we liked the buffet closest to the margarita bar it had better food. The snack bar was a blessing too.. although make sure you are not hungry after 1030 at night cuz you wont get any food this was the only down fall of the resort they all say they are open til 11 but 1030 no food available anywhere! If you want to eat at the Mexican restaurant or the italian or japanese you need to go to lookout bar in the early morning 8ish and make reservations two days in advance...not worth it we didnt think we ate at the Mexican restaurant one nite and the staff was awesome and that was about it buffet food much better!!! Entertainment where do i start holy cow they have night shows every nite at 930 way worth going and seeing very entertaining we didnt miss a night....we were on our honeymoon so we did not bring our kids although right before the big show everynite they have the MINI DISCO where the kids from the daycare perform with the staff and it was sooooo cute!!! Pool volleyball with the staff is a blast....the bartender at the swim up bar his name is jorge what a bartender couldnt find a better one here at the states he was awesome never had a empty glass...Freddie in the entertainment staff soo funny!!!! The disco well it was okay we danced with the entertainment staff but it was a little weird music but danced the nite away.....sports bar very fun pool ping pong wii....The spa you must go and get a massage i have had many here at the states but non like this it was great! One thing that i didnt expect is alot of walking you walk alot through the resort it is spread out so be prepared to walk alot!! the ice cream shop was great for a treat they have awsome treats and milkshakes! I would recomend this resort for the entertainment factor alone! the beach was great too i was playing in the ocean at 830 at nite it was great!!!!! I cant wait to go back way worth the money!!!!

nephi, utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2009

We stayed at the resort Feb 26 thru March 4 and loved every minute of it. The first thing I would have to say is the the resort is beautiful and the Staff couldn't be better. We stayed in a standard room which didn't have any frills but was very clean and nice with no complaints. All of the food was great and the ice cream place was awsome, get the banana split. The Beach was nice, not like Tulum but nice. The beach trade off is that the snorkeling at the resort was just as good or better than the snorkeling tour in we toke in moroma. We did take a day trip to Tulum and went through the ruins and then back to Akumal for snorkeling with the turtles, It was probably the best day of our trip. All said and done I loved this resort and would definetly go back again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!