“Thomson Holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Manzana 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Thomson Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Just arrived back from a 3 week Thomson holiday in Mexico we have been to Catalonia Rivera Maya for the last 5 years. it is a great holiday relaxing and having good staff to look after you. We use the priviledge room for our stay it is big and has a good huge bed and the bathroom with a great walk in shower always has hot water, the fridge is always stocked up for soft drinks and water we needed a fridge as my husband needs to put his insulin in there. The pool area is is fanatastic it is spotless it is cleaned every morning and checked through out the day even the tile are shinning as someone cleans them. Food in the day is buffet style and evening we used the Restaurants food perfect. I will agree with Justin B only on one point and that is the Wifi is not strong enought and i couldn't use it around the pool area or even in my room, so i would have to go up to the Reception.area to use it. People going to fly into Cancun International Airport need to know it can be a nightmare as 4 flights come in together all the luggage comes off the one carousel and can take 2 hours to get out to catch your bus that transfers you to your Hotel,this holiday the Airport was at it worse but it wont stop us going back to the Catalonia Riveria Maya Resort we will going back again for 3 or more weeks.later in the year.I can recommend this holiday for people that want to relax.

Room Tip: We have only stayed in the priviledge rooms.
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Jacky D,

We would like to thank you for writing your opinion about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

We really appreciate your positive comments, it's a pleasure to know that you had a good time here with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (724)
  • Polish first
Reidsville, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Well let me start of by saying that my experience at the Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort was fair, so I will give a fair rating and review.

My best advice to give you as a traveler wishing to come to the Cancun Mexico area is to do your research very well before making a decision on a resort. The Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort is located at least a hour away from the Cancun Mexico International Airport. If you should choose this resort and you purchase pre-arranged transportation from the airport to this resort make sure you get a shuttle service that takes you directly from the airport to this resort,

The reason I am saying that is because I had purchase pre-arranged transportation from Am-Star and it was not a direct shuttle to the resort, the shuttle made stops at other resorts in the Cancun Mexico area dropping passengers off before taking me to my resort, and with my flight arriving into Cancun at 9:30 pm at night that made for a long trip to this resort. So my best advice to you is to make sure you purchase a direct shuttle to this resort or otherwise it will be a very long trip by shuttle to this resort, the non direct shuttles by am-star seem to make the Catalonia Riviera Maya stop the very last stop on their route from the airport.

The check in process seemed to go smooth and I will let you know up front that they will try to get you to upgrade to a privilege room. I stayed at this resort for 4 nights so the upgrade ended up being 100.00 total USD. I will say that the Upgrade to privilege was well worth the investment. The room was very nice, air condition worked great, showers always worked great and had plenty of hot water. The food tasted ok in the buffet and in the privilege restaurant, you get what you pay for I guess.

Now for the negative side of this review. The resort seems to have a issue with their WIFI Internet access on the resort. I don't know if they just don't have a strong enough signal to support the amount of people trying to use the internet on the resort but you could not keep a connection long enough to use the internet.

Also I would strongly suggest if you need phone service while at this resort make sure your cell carrier has a international plan. Yes the rooms have telephones in them but will charge you hefty fee to use them. They also have pay phones on the resort but it appears its a hook and bait switch type system they have set up. I purchased a calling card from the gift shop at the resort, and outside next to the gift shop was a pay phone, so I tried using the calling card in which I purchased from the gift shop and it would not work at this pay phone because I did not purchase one of the calling card cards from the machine that was beside the pay phone I was using. The calling card only worked at the pay phone that was located outside the resort next to the street and with all the noise of the vehicles and cars going by it was very hard to hear on the pay phone.

When I asked the gift shop clerk why they sold calling cards that don't even work on their resort her excuse was just simply "I Don't Know" and couldn't give me a answer. Which is kind of funny I got the same type similar answer with another staff member of the resort on another issue I had.

I had purchased a pre-paid voucher thru Viator for a excursion that was to take place on Saturday. Keep in mind I had arrived at the resort late Friday night and the voucher from Viator said to reconfirm with the tour company about your hotel pick up a day before the tour begins, well its kind of hard to do that when most of my day has been traveling by air and not having any cell service once in cancun. When I asked the front desk at this resort about how I could contact this company to confirm they are picking me up for the tour on Saturday they simply had no answer to my question, they didn't even bother to offer calling the local number for me which would have not cost them any money verses me calling and getting 8.00 dollars charged to my room check out bill. And of course their answer to my question was the same as the girl working the gift shop "I don't know"

The funny thing is the tour company they had on site at their resort they seemed to have plenty of answers for you if you want to buy a tour on site and you ended paying a higher price. I am sure this resort gets some kind of kick back from allowing these tour company's on the resort. Once again hook and bait switch. My tour never showed up so I ended up having to reschedule and calling from my hotel phone which was a local number bust still got charged for the phone call that the resort never bothered to tell you about until hotel check out.

My best advice in this situation is to make sure when you book a vacation package pre-purchase your tours with the company you book your air and this resort with so you can avoid the headaches I went thru in trying to use a 3rd party for a tour excursion.

The only issue I had with the room is at some points of the morning and during the day it was very noisy with some type of construction going on which was very disturbing when I wanted to just go back to my room and relax. My room was also next to one of the maid station so there was constant foot traffic in and out of the little room they use next to my room which was disturbing also.

Overall my experience with this resort was fair, as I said before you get what you pay for, cheaper is not always better. I would come to Cancun Mexico again but I probably will not be coming back to this resort again due to its distance from the airport and cancun area, the bad customer service, Do you research before deciding on a resort, sometimes its better to pay extra for a little better quality.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Dear Justin B,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW via mobile

We went back to the catalonia because we loved the area,it was clean, staff were amazing and always attentive.entertainment was always keeping the day going with lots of laughs and the bartenders amazing!! I wish I could of brought Alberto and Nazario home love them to bits!! The photographers are as well simply amazing and humorous.This was our late honeymoon trip we married there 3 years ago ..this place will always hold special to my heart and will be back!

• Stayed February 2015
Dear mumma78,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed here to get away from the Winter for a few days. I'll try to go in sequence of events/locations of the hotel to make sense of it all. The entrance to the resort is a bit iffy, especially coming off the main road. The resort is located inside a "compound" of some sort that houses private homes and other smaller resorts. Once you're in, it is beautiful! I couldn't believe it. The concierge were very nice and immediately helped us with our luggage. Our wait time to check in was about 30 minutes, a bit long if you ask me. The front desk had 3 people working it, but they spend about 15 minutes with each person explaining to them all the amenities and resort options. My 15 minutes with the front desk were a bit overwhelming. We had just gotten off a 6 hour flight, and 1 hour drive from the airport to the resort, I was a bit tired. The gentleman on the front desk, although very nice and polite, began to sound like Charlie Brown's teacher "wha wha wha" after 3 minutes. WAY TOO much info to give to someone in such a short time. They should offer some other option to inform the guest vs. spilling out half a book in 15 minutes. Once we were checked in a gentleman from the hotel approached us. He offered us "coupons" for the hotel if we attended an appointment the next day, again, I'm tired, I agreed. I hadn't realized that it was to hear about their timeshare options. They try to get you right as your walking in. I realized it the next day and respectfully declined their offer. Although the gentleman was disappointed, he respected our decision. However, we were asked a few more times by other employees if we were interested, we declined every time. I'm sure just like me people visit the resort to relax and unwind, not to hear a sales pitch about timeshares. Once in our room, the room was very clean and spacious. The bathroom was very clean. We did notice that our sofa bead was missing a mattress, we had to improvise so our oldest daughter could sleep on it. We didn't make a big deal because, A: we only slept in our room and B: we didn't want the inconvenience of having someone come in and provide us one at their leisure. One thing we did notice that bothered us more was that the water in the sinks turned brown when the hot water was turned on, it was a muddy color brown and it happened immediately after it was turned on. I have been to many Latin American countries and this wasn't much of a surprise to me, but just a heads up. The pool is definitely worth hanging out by, its got a beautiful view of the ocean and the bars are close by. We tried the grilled lobster, its $30 U.S. Dollars, but well worth it!!! The bars were fully stocked of practically any major liquor you could want, the beer is a bit limited to only Mexican beers.

The food was good, at best. The variety is great, but it gets old pretty fast. We tried a "specialty" restaurant, the Japanese one. It was good. The wait to be seated was a bit long, close to an hour. so we were a bit disappointed with the food. The service at the restaurants was GREAT! the servers and staff were always very polite and friendly. The would stop by the table and talk to us about the local area or just general questions about us. I'm not sure if it was because we spoke Spanish, but the staff was always very nice to us.

There is a few stores that you can shop in at the resort, I will say that I was very surprised with some of the prices. We bought our kids a few items and the prices were a bit expensive, Disneyland prices. I was pleased though to be able to buy a few Cuban cigars, that made up for a lot of things.

Overall, I was very happy with the resort, especially that it is geared towards families. I only saw a few "Idiots" acting as if it was spring break, most folks were older or had small children. So we felt right at home. I would highly encourage people to visit this resort, especially if your just looking for some peace and quiet. The location is not in Cancun, its about an hour away, so it was very quiet and peaceful, just perfect to relax for a few days.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Dear ish e,

Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with our staff. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed here for a quick 6 day family vacation. There were 4 of us total, my wife and I along with our 2 year old and 5 year old daughters.

Overall we had a great time and wouldn't hesitate to go back if everything fell into place.

The good things:
Lots of options for eating for a smaller resort.
Very friendly staff that were very patient with kids.
Great room that was always clean and quiet.
Nice pools with easy to access to the bars and food.
Walking distance to the shops and restaurants around the marina.
Solid wifi throughout the resort.

The bad things:
There really isn't a beach. The ocean facing side doesn't have any beach and the beach that is there is small. This wasn't a problem for us.
It's a haul to get there from the Cancun airport - nearly an hour driving.
Wifi in our room was very spotty - it only really worked on our patio.

I always do some negatives just to give people an idea of the good/bad of the resort, but, again, overall it's a great smaller resort that we'd stay at again if all the dates and prices fell into place this way again.

Room Tip: Our room faced out onto a very lightly traveled road beyond a solid separation wall - may want to av...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We went to the Catalonia Riviera Maya between christmas and new years. I'll break my review down into ponts, but overall our minor complaints far outweighed major ones. For information: we traveled as a family of 4 (2 adults, a 3 and 5 year old) but we also met with other family, including one grandparent and one couple w/o kids.

1) size of the resort: I really liked that this resort was not huge, particularly when walking a lot with kids. In fact, as everyone has mentioned t here are 2 resorts, but they are really conjoined and you wouldn't really know, except that there are two lobbies. We used the Yucatan side more, because there was the kids club and we liked the 'pure bar' and beach area there. Also, the grounds were very well kept up and in general everything seemed very clean.

2) facilities: pools were great, both adults and kids. Not too many crazy rowdy games in the pool but if there were you could escape to another. Never had a problem finding chairs.

3) We had a privileged suite, which was perfect for our family. A few minor issues: one of our sliding bathroom doors didn't slide and we had issues at first getting our room cleaned early in the day (our 3 year old napped there in the afternoon when the cleaners would show up)--but we learned to ask the housekeepers early to do our room first. My mom was also in privileged and had a great room. My brother and SIL had another room that I think was privileged, but it was very dark--not a great room, although well appointed. For us, upgrading was worth it because we otherwise couldn't get a family suite, and we enjoyed the 'privileged' section of the beach, but i'm not sure its critical at all.

4) beach: yes, there are some rocks and seaweed, I brought beach shoes. But I enjoyed swimming out and saw a few fish. There's a smaller lagoon area that's perfect for kids: shallow, no waves, good sand for digging.

5) food: I found the buffets copious and tasty for breakfast and lunch, but i prefer simple, healthy food. I got a spinach omelet and fresh juice every morning, and something equally simple (grilled salmon, vegetables) for lunch. I preferred Las Brisas for breakfast, and the other buffet for lunch (forgot the name already!). As for the a la cartes, we did not try the japanese but our family members did and they found it rather awful, but they are from los angeles, where you can get excellent japanese food. I did do the Tapas bar, which had okay tapas, but the best most lovely view, and we ordered a 26$ bottle of wine that was actually very good, so that made for a romantic evening. We also did the mexican restaurant, and it was hit/miss (but again, we're californians used to great mexican). We did the steak house, Bambolo, and our complaint here was that we sat down nearly an hour after our reservations, and we were paying a babysitter, so I just ate and ran. My companions enjoyed it. To sum up, the food met and sometimes exceeded our expectations, there was plenty for our kids, and the only downside is the confusing reservation system (show up, put your name down and hope that you will actually be able to eat at that time).

6) drinks: I found a wide variety in how the bartenders made drinks, but my favorites were the bar near the mexican and italian restaurants (they make a mean chili margarita). We are not huge drinkers, but I enjoyed my cocktails.

7) entertainment: we went to one Latin dance show. I commend the dancers for their energy and enthusiasm, but I did not stay the whole time and we were not interested in evening activities, etc. We preferred to chill out with some wine on our deck (and had to once the kids were asleep).

8) kids entertainment/club: our 5 year old joined the kids club for various activities and enjoyed it--esp dressing up like a pirate and doing a pirate parade. Our 3 year old also joined him at the club, with our supervision, and the counselors were energetic , engaged and sweet. On one occasion, we went offsite to snorkel in Akumal, and hired a sitter to watch our 3 year old with our 5 year old in the kids club, they had fun in the am, and had lunch with all the kids at the buffet, and seems pretty happy. No complaints here.

9) spa: I got a lovely massage and enjoyed the use of the spa and gym--there were a nice variety of pools, saunas, etc and it was very, very clean. The gy m itself is not huge, but sufficient for a workout. There was a studio for exercise classes but i never went. I also saw yoga on the beach, which looked nice.

10) service and attitude: We found everyone helpful and welcoming. Our son celebrated his 5th birthday here and we got a cake with candles at dinner. The kids were well taken care of, we were seated promptly i most cases (sometimes there was a 5 min wait at breakfast rush), and bartenders/servers were efficient and courteous. We tipped on our last day--I know people like to tip bartenders, but please also tip the omelet makers and the workers at the grill and the housekeepers too. They did a terrific job, but its a hard one.

all in all, we would return to this resort because it suited a wide ranges of ages, tastes, it was not the kind of place full of drunk, obnoxious types (in fact, very few other americans--mostly canadians and europeans), it had good facilities, good food, and generally was a pleasant atmosphere.

Room Tip: We chose ground floor privileged family suite in building 8, which pretty much is the same as a reg...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Newark, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My boyfriend and I booked a 5 night stay at Catalonia Riviera Maya in August of 2015. We booked our reservation through cheapcaribbean.com, and I highly recommend them! We called and got a really great deal. After booking, I obsessively read reviews about the resort, I was extremely nervous because this trip was my first time going out of the country. Some reviews I read were terrible and some were great, so my boyfriend and I really had no idea what to expect! Upon arriving in Cancun, there was a man holding a sign that said "cheap Caribbean" outside, we went up to him and told him our names and he showed us to our ride which was a van. He insisted on carrying our bags for us. He was very nice. We got into the van and waited for a few more people that would also be riding with us. The drive to Catalonia Riviera Maya was about an hour. We also had to make a few stops at other resorts to drop people off that were staying other places. As soon as we got to the resort, we walked in and were greeted a delicious drink. The workers got our bags out of the van, and put tags on them and we went to the front desk to check in. When you get to the desk, they will ask you if you want to upgrade, I recommend doing this. There are a few different upgrades to choose from, we chose one that was $25 per person per night, so total it was $300 extra. This included an ocean view room, better alcohol selection, more visits to the specialty restaurants, FREE room service, there is also a "privileged bar and beach area" which was really nice, even though we spent most of our time at the tequila swim up bar. Check in went perfect and was fast and we were shown to our room with in about 15 min of arriving and they carried our bags for us once again, which was something very nice that we appreciated. Also, during check in they will give you the Wifi password. The wifi wasnt the best in the world but it worked well enough for us to make phone calls and things like that. It also depends where you're at in the resort, we noticed that the wifi worked best near the Pure Chill Out Bar for us, and luckily our room was right near this bar so the wifi in our room worked just fine. The room was very nice, and we ended up in a corner room so we had two balconies. The one downside to our room was that we were on the 3rd floor and our room was right above the "Pure Chill Out Bar"(privileged bar") so the roof was blocking our ocean view a little bit, but we were still happy just having the ocean view. The first thing we did after getting settled in our room was go get a drink! We loved the swim up bar! There are also a lot of drinks that you can ask for that aren't on the menu that other vacationers told us about! Some of my favorites were Miami Vice, Mango Tango, and Scooby doo(shot).Just ask the bartenders to make you something really good and they will come up with something amazing. Manuel was the best bartender and took such great care of us! Even though you don't have to tip, if you find a bartender that you really like give them a tip! seriously, we tipped Manuel our first day and he always would have drinks ready for us before ours were even gone! Typically, they serve drinks in plastic cups, a little smaller than a red solo cup and Manuel almost always served us in the tall glass cups. He was the best and so funny! All day long there are beach activities going, sand volleyball and activities going on in the pool. We didn't really get involved with these though. The beach is absolutely gorgeous, but rocky! BRING WATER SHOES!!!! Also, you can rent kayaks, bicycles, and snorkeling gear for free! We brought our own snorkeling gear though, the best place we found for snorkeling was the lagoon area, because the other areas of the beach get pretty wavy. My boyfriend tried going out and he got thrown around quite a bit by the waves and got some small cuts from being thrown into rocks under the water, but if you stay in the lagoon area you don't have to worry about this. The buffet food was average, it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't spectacular. But then again, its a buffet so we didn't complain. Included in our upgrade was four visits to the specialty restaurants, our favorite was Mikado, which is a hibachi Japanese grill. It was delicious! We spent most of the days at the swim up bar, but this closes around 5 or 6 pm so after it closed we would go to our room and start getting ready for dinner. We always tried to go to dinner before 7 because we read reviews that said the specialty restaurants get very busy around this time, we never experienced this though because we went early everyday. I highly recommend taking a trip to Playa Del Carmen! You have to go by taxi, if you go to the reception desk at the hotel they can call the taxi for you. This is a city about 20 min from the resort and everything is SO MUCH cheaper than the resort! I got quite a few souvenirs for really cheap! Shot glasses and things like that for only like $1USD! The vendors were pretty annoying though, they did not want to take no for an answer if you didn't want to buy something but if you do want to buy something is very easy to talk them down to cheaper prices! If you do need to buy something at the resort, they only accept pesos but there is a place near the front desk to exchange your money. Also, we booked an excursion to go to the Mayan ruins and Akumal beach which was absolutely amazing!! We didn't care too much for the ruins, but they were neat but the sea turtle snorkeling was awesome. This was an all-day excursion. We left around 8am and returned about 4 or 5. First we went to the mayan ruins, it was so hot though that I think it made it harder to enjoy, the beach here was beautiful. After we left the Mayan ruins, we went to Akumal beach to swim with sea turtles. This is a public beach that anyone can go to but we were so happy we had a tour guide. His name was Jorge and he took us way out into the ocean and even over a beautiful coral reef! It was seriously so cool! After we left this beach we went to another once, called Xel-Ha which was also beautiful and this is where we ate lunch, which was included in the excursion. After this we returned to the resort. On our last day at the resort we rented bikes and went to the Marina and rode around, there are a lot of restaurants, and little shops to look around in. Also you can swim with dolphins, manatees, or whale sharks here too. Even if you don't swim with them, they are in a pool outside and its neat to just go watch them swim around. If you are looking to go to a party resort, this isnt the resort for you! This is more of a family oriented resort, although we don't have any kids, we just wanted to relax! We didn't really go crazy and party every night. There is a discotech that stays opened till 2am but the other bars close around 11 or 12 every night. We never made it to the discotech so I don't know what it's like, we tried to go one night but it was a sunday and that's the only night they are not open. Overall, our trip went absolutely perfect. We loved everything about this resort. My boyfriend and I just booked another trip to this same resort for May of 2015! We are so excited to go back!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Tanisha D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us and for such nice comments.
It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the HOTEL and our lovely country.
We definitely hope to see you here again in the future. Just let us know in advance and we do our best to welcome and pamper you once again!

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!