“Wonderful and relaxing!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Mz. 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77782, Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
“Wonderful and relaxing!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed at the CAT for 5 nights. We were nervous as our departure approached because of the negative reviews. But, I am so glad that we stayed there!! We booked through Apple vacations and their was no difference noted between the catalonia or the Yukatan on the site. We booked an oceanfront room (which happened to be on the Yukatan side and automatically get preferred accommodations). We were able to check in on the Catalonia side (as that is where we were dropped off by our airport transportation). Hotel staff was very nice and accommodated us with a upper level room, as requested. The room was perfect. We had 3 balconies (two pool, and 1 beach front). The view was amazing!! The Yukatan side was much more quiet than the Catalonia side. The Pure bar was awesome to sit and relax! Juan was the nicest bar tender. Here are my reviews and suggestions:

Buffet restaurants- just ok. Not outstanding.
Taras Tapas- I am not much of a sea food lover, but the vegetarian options were very good! The view was amazing!!!!!
The Japanese steak house- MY FAVORITE! and every one else's. Lol. Get there early!
The Bamboleo- Dinner was so delicious. The steak was very good!! It is a snack bar Buffet during the day and is probably the best of the buffets.
Room service- is ok. If you want breakfast, you must order the night before.
Spa- we wanted beach side massages. But, quickly ruled it out at the hotel spa. The cost was pretty high (160.00 USD per person) and the location of where we saw the massages being given, was terrible. These poor people had no privacy at all. Instead, go to the hut on the beach to the right of the Yukatan (off of the resort about 100 feet). There is a husband and wife who do massages. It is semi private and quiet (unlike the resort during the day). They only charged 50.00 per hour, per person. And it was truly the only massage that I have ever fallen asleep while getting. I was that relaxed.

Take about 75.00 in 1$ bills for tipping. I think we tipped a lot more money because nobody seemed to have change for our larger pesos. Lesson learned.

Yes, there were a few rude staff members (2 bar tenders during the day). But, there are always going to be a few unhappy people wherever you go. Nothing was stolen, and house keeping didn't clean our room if there were any visible electronics or valuable items in view.

It was such a relaxing and good time. We will be back next year, for sure!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014
catrivieramaya1, Генеральный директор at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Danielle W,

We would like to thank you such nice comments about our hotel facilities. We really appreciate your comments about the hotel and staff, we work every day to give you our best service and make you feel comfortable.

We all are deeply glad to hear that you spent a great time with us. We feel very proud of the impression you have from the hotel and our service.

It will be our pleasure to welcome and host you in Catalonia once again! Please show up on our Concierge desk so we could arrange you a little repetitive-guest- compliment :)

Sincerely your,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (662)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

When I first arrived here it was very nice , people are very friendly .. Went to the pool , beach was nice but very rocky . I have a few complaints though , there is no night life !! Everyone is just sitting around and it's mostly a resort for couples or older people. I wouldn't suggest to bring your young adult children here , they close the pools so early and the bar closes at midnight ?! What kind of vacation is this ?? The food isn't even that great .. Pasta is undercooked and chewy .. Raviolis were dry .. We went to a restaurant that we had to pay 15$ a person and I got fried fish and it tasted like mush and oil in my mouth . The only thing good that I've been eating everyday because I refuse to eat the rest was the pizza and guac that I could of stAyed he for . I also don't think they should use the word privileged (but that's just me) . I've been to Mexico before but never had such a bad time like this one .

• Stayed August 2014
Kokomo, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The hotel wasn't bad but it wasn't great. I love to get more bang for my buck though. If u have the option($) to choose another hotel w/ more stars & better reviews for $100 or less go for another hotel. The workers at Catalonia Riviera Maya were awesome. Including "sexy Mauricio" (he named himself) they are really a good time. BUT the ppl who stand in the middle of the resort that u have to dodge like the plague everytime u come outta ur room suck. Me & my HUBZ gave a guy 50 pesos and made him promise to leave us alone for the rest of our stay. They are that pesky. If they see u trying to avoid them they throw their arms up and call u out. By far the worst part of my trip on a DAILY basis. The food (buffet) (anywhere but the specialty restaurants) was mediocre. I'm usually not too picky about buffet food but bring ur own salt & hot sauce or it will be a very Bland stay. Lol

The privilege beach isn't walkable with water socks or without. U will need a cane lol. So if u like being in ocean don't pick this hotel. They have a lagoon but it has schools of fish in it...eeeww. We stayed in priv. Pool most of stay.

The hotel rents bicycles for free & that was probably the funnest part of trip. Bike riding to marina is great fun. Shopping, dolphins, manatees, ...& Gelato:)

They have nightly shows & a club. They also have a sports bar &we were there during NBA finals but were big fans so we watched n our room.

We will probably never return to Catalonia because it is to far from airport for so little. So I suggest instead of paying more for transfer from airport to hotel, stay in Cancun where it is 1/2 price pp & apply the extra cash to staying at a better hotel in Cancun. The worrisome time share ppl are enough to ruin ur entire stay.

Why stay somewhere u have to make the best of it? If I could go back I would just choose a better hotel

• Stayed April 2014
PLEASANTVILLE
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

my women and I booked a privileged suite ,that room and the people who worked there were the only good things about this dump,we were supposed to get a priveliged check in,and that did not happen,supposed to get champhane on arrival,but got some kind of horrible juice and no warm towel.had to wait for our room to be ready,there were no slippers in the room had a broken lamp and the shower sprayer did not work ,and that's the best room they have,room service food was horrible,cant even get a soda from room service,no drinks at all from room service,the mini bar had 2beers and some soda,no liquer at all,i don't drink,but my women drinks champhane,and that is not included,what a disgrace,ok the privileged beach is real close together,i felt like a sardine,and of course it is dangerous to go in tha ocean ,very slippery rocks you might get a broken ankle if you try,the buffets were decent,but don't expect to get any shrimp,there were none,the resterants were just ok,ther were a lot of very rude guests there,i am not a saint but come on ,the romantic dinner on yhe beach,sucked because you cant see your food,thats the truth,my women cryed the first day it was that bad,put out the extra money and go somewhere else,this place is horrible,go to a real resort,please don't make the mistake I did.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Weepinbell65,

We regret we were able to fulfil your expectations.

Our staff went above and beyond to satisfy all your needs. In fact, Food & Beverage department made an exception providing with a bottle of Sparkling wine and orange juice everyday to your room and in every bar (considering that this is not a cocktail that we usually have).

When you informed the Staff about all the issues, they kindly provided a Romantic dinner by the beach at no extra charge to celebrate the special occasion.

We honestly feel very sorry that all our efforts were not enough.

We do appreciate the nice comments about the staff and the room and certainly hope that you can give us the chance to visit us again, and this time provide the best service as you both deserve.

Best regards,

KENSINGTON, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The Catalonia Riviera Maya all-inclusive is a decent hotel, good value. Did a 5-night package with them in August 2014, and had a great time.

Upsides: hotel and rooms are very clean, most of the food is decent, sometimes quite good, staff were mostly friendly and helpful, multiple pools, quiet area that felt safe.

Lazaro in the Mercado buffet was fantastic, as was Luis the bartender at the Tequila bar.

The Spa pool is WONDERFUL -- worth the price of getting a spa service -- you can go an hour before, and stay an hour later than your service, and use the spa pool, which has a waterfall, jets, comfy lounges, etc. and is very quiet

Had a wonderful "Mayan Massage" at the spa, and a few hours at the pool -- divine! Well worth it!

Went out for a catamaran ride, fun!

The dive shop folks are great!

Some additional notes:

The checkin process is just awful -- lobby is by FAR the hottest place in the hotel, and it's glacially slow to get checked in - we waited in a line of 3 people for over an hour, sweat dripping. They should figure out how to make this faster, it's ridiculous.

Wifi is spotty and sporadic at best, bad in rooms (tip: Beach near Bamboleo restaurant seemed to be best spot for reception!) -- you can't use Skype, viber, whatsapp, etc for phone calls, or even texting most of the time. don't even try to upload photos to facebook!

Pools close at 7 p.m. All 5 of them. They really should leave at least one open till 10 p.m. for night-time swims.

Towel area closes before the pools. Doesn't make sense.

No business center to print boarding passes - attempt to print boarding passes took 2 hours and multiple staff

Beach area has some rocks, bring water shoes, lagoon is really nice - but some seaweed

Premium restaurants can have long lines if you go after 7 p.m., the hostesses at the premium restaurants are somewhat obnoxious

The Japanese Mikado place (like a Benihana) and the Bamboleo steakhouse were great... Bella Vista Italian restaurant was sub-par.

The Las Brisas buffet was pretty bad, Mercado was consistently better

Bring lots of singles -- and tip your servers if you are going back to a place, you'll get better service, more attention -- also, tips to bartenders will sometimes get you premium liquors instead of the regular stuff

Didn't do the upgraded room/status, and didn't miss it.

If you're looking for big white sand beach, or gourmet food, this is not the place. But if you are looking for a fun place to hang out, eat and drink well, enjoy the pools and water and weather, without breaking the bank, it's a decent deal!

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room near the pool/Tequila bar/Mercado buffet -- good central location, quiet...
Dear M. S,

We would like to thank you for the nice comments about your recent stay at Catalonia Hotels & Resorts.

We will consider all the items that you have mentioned.

The Spa and the rest of the staff were thrilled about your review.

I personally hope that you can give us the chance to be your host any time soon.

Best regards,

Waukesha, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Everything went well with the hotel; the food was as you would expect Mexican food to be (different but good), water is safe, staff is friendly and speaks adequate english, and is well worth the value.

Room Tip: When you get there, you can barter to get a really cheap room upgrade. - We got upgraded to Privileg...
Dear JBolka,

Thank you very much for providing such a nice feedback about our hotel and service.

We would definitely be happy to see you again in our resort and provide you with the best service as you deserve.

Sincerely yours,

United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

First, I should mention that this is the first negative review I have ever given- I really am not picky or hard to please. So we originally booked a room at the Catalonia Playa Maroma, however, they totally screwed us over and overbooked and sent us here. Where to begin?? Well the beach is terrible- so rocky and small. Our first day here I cut my knee on the rocks; it bled everywhere, swelled up, and turned black and blue. The room was ok- if you ignored the cockroaches and enjoy sleeping on a mattress that felt like it was made out of bricks. I took the sheet off the mattress to see if, indeed, it was filled with bricks or perhaps concrete and it looked to be about 50 years old-very stained and worn out- my dog has a nicer bed than this. I wouldn't recommend eating the food here. My friend suffered from some severe gastrointestinal issues after eating a propane flavored ribeye at the steakhouse; she didn't leave the bathroom for 3 days. The staff was somewhat unpleasant. Drinks were very weak. Also, we had already prepaid for our transfer back to the airport and since they were scheduled to pick us up at the Maroma, Catalonia said they would arrange for our our transfer to pick us up at the Riviera Maya and pay the difference since it is 40 minutes farther from the airport than the Maroma is. Well it took us going to reception FIVE different times, giving them our flight itinerary, and generally just freaking out on them for not handling it like they promised for them to say "oh we're just gonna call you a cab the morning of your flight and they will take you to the Maroma to catch your airport transfer." Really? It would have taken about a 2 minute phone call to just call our transfer and say hey pick these guys up here instead. But I guess customer service isn't their strong suit..although i still haven't figured out what is. Would I recommend this hotel to a friend?? Only if they have a bug fetish and are fasting. Or if they like to wear steel toed boots to swim at the beach. I would rather sleep in my dog's kennel than book a room at a Catalonia again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!