My husband and I stayed at the CAT for 5 nights. We were nervous as our departure approached because of the negative reviews. But, I am so glad that we stayed there!! We booked through Apple vacations and their was no difference noted between the catalonia or the Yukatan on the site. We booked an oceanfront room (which happened to be on the Yukatan side and automatically get preferred accommodations). We were able to check in on the Catalonia side (as that is where we were dropped off by our airport transportation). Hotel staff was very nice and accommodated us with a upper level room, as requested. The room was perfect. We had 3 balconies (two pool, and 1 beach front). The view was amazing!! The Yukatan side was much more quiet than the Catalonia side. The Pure bar was awesome to sit and relax! Juan was the nicest bar tender. Here are my reviews and suggestions:
Buffet restaurants- just ok. Not outstanding.
Taras Tapas- I am not much of a sea food lover, but the vegetarian options were very good! The view was amazing!!!!!
The Japanese steak house- MY FAVORITE! and every one else's. Lol. Get there early!
The Bamboleo- Dinner was so delicious. The steak was very good!! It is a snack bar Buffet during the day and is probably the best of the buffets.
Room service- is ok. If you want breakfast, you must order the night before.
Spa- we wanted beach side massages. But, quickly ruled it out at the hotel spa. The cost was pretty high (160.00 USD per person) and the location of where we saw the massages being given, was terrible. These poor people had no privacy at all. Instead, go to the hut on the beach to the right of the Yukatan (off of the resort about 100 feet). There is a husband and wife who do massages. It is semi private and quiet (unlike the resort during the day). They only charged 50.00 per hour, per person. And it was truly the only massage that I have ever fallen asleep while getting. I was that relaxed.
Take about 75.00 in 1$ bills for tipping. I think we tipped a lot more money because nobody seemed to have change for our larger pesos. Lesson learned.
Yes, there were a few rude staff members (2 bar tenders during the day). But, there are always going to be a few unhappy people wherever you go. Nothing was stolen, and house keeping didn't clean our room if there were any visible electronics or valuable items in view.
It was such a relaxing and good time. We will be back next year, for sure!!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Caribbean Sea's turquoise waters can be seen from this hotel-paradise. Come and get ready to spend some unforgettable days in the heart of the Mayan Riviera, surrounded by marvelous landscapes and seductive, white sand beaches. The hotel is located in the wonderful Puerto Aventuras development. This is a tourist development which boasts a marina for yachts, a golf course, restaurants and dolphin tanks, all within easy reach of the main Mayan Riviera attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Catalonia Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
- Catalonia Hotel Mexico
- Catalonia Rivera Maya
- Riviera Maya Catalonia
- Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Riveria Maya
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort
- Catalonia Riviera Maya All Inclusive
- Catalonia Mexico