“Absolutely loved it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Manzana 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Leatherhead
“Absolutely loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Firstly you will note all the negative comments are from the Americans, they are very difficult to please. The hotel is fantastic, beautiful settling, great staff, entertainment and activities if you want them and the most relaxing pool if up you don't. Rooms really comfortable and clean. Food good and lots of choice (veggie no problem).
Tips: these are two hotels in one, don't know why but worth checking prices of both as they are identical and you use both.
Book excursions in playa del carmen half the price. Don't need excursion for dolphins, turtles or tulum.
Take pesos not dollars.
There is no fridge in the standard room and you pay for the safe. Wifi ok in room.
No need to upgrade and was only mentioned once when we checked in so no pressure to.
Puerto aventuras is a posh urbanisation with lovely villas, hotels, marina and some shops so unlike some of the riviera maya hotels there is somewhere to walk around. Very safe and secure.
Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear ArtNSoulEscapes,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion with us!

We are really appreciate so detailed feedback and believe it will be very useful for other people to read about your experience in Catalonia Riviera Maya.

We transferred your words to Josue and his team, all of them are absolutely thrilled and happy :)

You were right about water shoes, rocks and shells - we are second large world coral reef so this is a part of a game:)

Next time try our internal SPA, you will be surprised with variety and quality of service we provide. Just ask our Concierge desk for reservation and enjoy it without any printed confirmation!

Room upgrade also could be easily made in advance with our Concierge service - just give us a call.

Thank you again and looking forward to host you again soon!

Sincerely yours,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (818)
  • Polish first
Highland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Upon arrival we were greeted with smiles and a fruity drink. Once we were able to check in, it was a bust. They did not have our king size reservation and tried to put my husband and I in a double bed room but would switch our room in the morning.. no thanks, we booked this 4 months ago and it is my 30th birthday. He simply stated, "tip me and we will make this happen." Oh... we see how this trip is going to go. Either tip him and get our room switched to be happy, or don't and get our stuff robbed. awesome. So we tipped so that we could have the piece of mind that they will leave our stuff in peace once we left the room.
We stayed one week and the room was only cleaned once. Are you kidding me? Sand everywhere, had to beg for towels, oh and water bottles that were in the refrigerator that were obviously re-filled. Really? We asked for our room to be cleaned but they came when were trying to take a nap after laying in the sun all day. By the way, they were doing construction on our roof that whole week also so actually they could've cleaned the room since we weren't able to sleep. The food... not one taco or enchilada. We had more italian and sushi then we needed.
Basically, just save more money and go to a nicer resort in actual cancun. We were ready to leave by the 3rd day. Such a bummer for my 30th birthday.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear Amanda R,

We would like to thank you for your modest comments about your recent stay at Catalonia Hotels & Resorts.

We will consider all the items that you have mentioned.

I personally hope that you can give us the chance to be your host any time soon.

Best regards,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

Overall had a very fulfilling experience at the Catalonia. My boyfriend and I decided to vacation there for 5 days and were not disappointed although there are certainly a few things that we would have much preferred to see.

First off, in regards to cleanliness, I'd rate this resort high. Being a complete neat freak and someone who is OCD about germs, I had no qualms with our room and other areas of the resort. Housekeeping did a fantastic job taking care of our room everyday and we never once had to wait for anything when making a request to roomservice or the front desk.

Food for the most part was hit or miss. Being in Mexico, my boyfriend and I did not have ridiculous expectations about the restaurants such as the Italian or Japanese being the absolute creme de la creme. I'd say overall, they met our needs but if you're going to a resort for the dining, you may want to reconsider this resort.

Service and staff throughout the resort is impeccable. Everyone is friendly and attentive.

The only issues we had dealt with nightlife and the beach. As a younger couple in our mid 20s, my boyfriend and I were a bit surprised with the lack of night life offerings at the resort. There was typically one show a night that offered entertainment, but other than that, entertainment was hard to come by--which is essentially understandable given how small the resort actually is. Options are scarce. Also, this is a kid-friendly resort, so if you're looking for a more low-key and adult oriented experience, the Catalonia will not meet your needs.

Lastly, the beaches are quite rocky. I did know this going into the vacation--having read multiple online reviews of guests suggesting to bring water shoes to navigate the beaches, I chose to forego the advice. Big mistake. If you're a person who is really into spending your time down at the beach and exploring, you'd be smart to bring a pair of water shoes. It was incredibly difficult to enjoy the surf for fear of cutting our feet or stepping on a sea urchin.

For the most part, we were very happy with our experience here...This trip was incredibly affordable and accommodated all the basic amenities that we were looking for.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to a "privileged" room. Though it may be a bit more pricey, the perks...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Генеральный директор at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear locastr1,

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Our staff always do the best to keep rooms and grounds clean and in best condition.
We transferred your kind words to Housekeeping Departments and they were extremely trilled and happy to hear that you were satisfied with their service.

You are absolutely right, sea here is a bit rocky. Reason for that is we are located on the second world largest coral reef, so it`s kind of a part of a game :)

Sorry about nightlife, we are more family and romantic occasions oriented hotel, so anytime you decide to celebrate your date with us let our Concierge service know and we arrange everything you need including Romantic Lobster Dinner on a beach or Day in our internal SPA!

Hope you give us a chance to host you soon so you can enjoy a privilege to be our repetitive guest!

Thank you again and looking forward to see you soon!

Hyattsville, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We visited the CRM from July 24-28th. It was a group of 10 of us. The ride from the airport is a little far, so be prepared to sit for about an hour. Upon arrival at the hotel, they greet you with a non-alcoholic drink that was a pretty nice gesture--a little too sweet from me. But, you leave your luggage with the bellhop and go to the desk to check-in. Check-in was extremely slow. They give an entire speech about the property and all the amenities to each person. They probably could eliminate that by printing up brochures. We were so tired from traveling, that we weren't paying attention. The upgrade in my opinion isn't worth it unless you plan to be in your room a lot. Sure you get a nice, large bathroom (some of my friends paid for the upgrade) and a separate living room area, and then a balcony with a "pool" (it's more like bathtub). I stayed in the privilege rooms and to me, that was a nice room. The bathroom was really nice. And the A/C works very well!
The property is beautifully landscaped. Be careful of the bridge that leads from the hotel lobby to the rest of the property. It was slippery at times and I slid once (with tennis shoes on). Luckily I was able to grab the railing. We didn't even try all of the a la carte restaurants. For the most part we ate at the buffet just because our group was so large. We did try the Italian Restaurant and the Japanese restaurant. Nothing to brag about. Most of it was just OK. The pool areas were pretty quiet. And I never understand why the pools close so early. People are on vacation. Went to the club one night, but all they played was salsa. Yes, we were in Mexico...but I guess I was expecting it to be like when I travel to other resorts and they play all types of music.
Please visit Josue at the bar. He is awesome!!! Best bartender there. Overall for the money we paid for everything, this was an excellent deal. As a travel agent, I would recommend it to people who want to experience Mexico. Just be aware that the beach is not the best for swimming. I broke all my nails on one hand (yes, all of them) because I had to keep catching myself when the waves came in and it's all rocks. Don't forget your water shoes. It was that bad. BUT you only had to walk out about 5 feet and the water was so clear, you could see the fish swimming around you.

Excursions:
If you get a chance to do an excursion, go to Xcaret park. What a great time. And the spa (additional cost) is so worth it. I had the chocolate treatment and that was the highlight of my entire trip. Book it prior to going...and make sure you print the confirmation. A lot of the staff at the park acted like they had never seen the confirmation email and were trying to send us to a different park. My receipt came just as a simple paypal receipt. My best friend actually got an email from the spa. Both work, but apparently, the spa and staff at the park don't communicate. But, we ended up having the customer service at the park call the number on the receipt (before we took a taxi like they said) and they confirmed we were at the right place. Another great tour was the Chichén Itzá Tour. We booked this at the hotel. The tour guides were amazing!! It's an all day tour so wear good shoes. Lunch is provided and they gave us all the beer and soda we could drink.

Room Tip: Get the privileged rooms. I wouldn't upgrade to the one above that unless you just need the spac...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear ArtNSoulEscapes;

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback, I am sure that other travellers might find it very useful.

We transferred your kind words to Josue and he was extremely thrilled and happy to hear it.

You are right about our beach - it`s rocky because we are located on a second world largest coral reef so rocks are the part of a deal :)

Next time try our internal SPA you will be surprised about service and range of treatment we have also printed-out confirmation is not required :)) All you need to do is ask our Concierge service to book it for you either any other service you may need: flowers, Romantic Lobster Dinner on a beach, golf sessions, etc.

It would be a pleasure for us to receive you again in a near future so we will have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

General Manager.
Astoria, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I have been holding off writing this review as I'm still getting over this horrible experience... They say you get what you pay for, but at the catalonia you definitely feel ripped off.

Let's begin with the good.... beautiful beaches, pools, amazing views... and very relaxing.
The entertainment staff is probably the best part of the hotel, although most don't go on vacation for the entertainment staff.. Barbara and Jaime were absolutely the best.. More helpful than the actual staff... The cleaning service... amazing, clean, immaculate!! thank you ladies!!

This brings me to the bad.... although cleaning service was great, our room was filled with ants!!! filled!!! There is no manager to be found in sight!! Everything in our room was broken, tv, refrigerator, the bed!!!

The horrific.... The foodd was terrible!!! absolutely terrible..this is my 7th time at an all inclusive and this had to be the worst and one of the more expensive ones... the restaurants were always full ( we made a note to go at 6:30 -7:00)

At the italian restaurant i waited to hours to eat tagliatelle bolognaise, which consisted of noodles hamburger helper and ketchup!!! ketchup!!! blasphemy!!!.... The buffets were ok but to be in mexico and not have tacos al pastor at least one night... terrible!!!! two of the nights we spent hungry..it was the worst feeling... My cousin got sick and no came to help i asked for a doctor no one came, I asked for a bottle of water, they said my bracelet did not allow room service...it was so bad that the last day we took a cab and ate at playa del carmen.... There is no organization in this hotel...they do not care about their guests aside from the entertertainment staff.. I hope you pay them and the cleaning staff well because they are the only good thing about this place!! i stayed here in july for 7 days and lost 6 pounds.. you are not supposed to loose weight on vacation!!!! shame on you catalonia..never again... go to live aqua, now jade, the royal.. pay a little extra..but get treated like a human being!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Missed doing a review on our last trip! We love the CAT. Will be our second trip leaving next Saturday and this trip bringing friends who haven't been. This is will be our fourth trip, second to Catalonia. I will not go anywhere else since we found the CAT. -You don't get lost, yet you have space and lots of food choices. The spa is AMAZING! It is a do not miss! We did the couples massage and enjoyed the pool and spa area all day!. We loved taking bikes down to the Marina and walking around. I wish I had his name at the desk that helped with excursions-Very Good. The staff in the restaurants work hard, the resort is clean, our room was great, loved the rain shower. My favorite was the Hibachi and the Creperie. Snorkeling is right at the resort and you can go down and see fish from the rocks. Oh and Xplor is our favorite. I think this next trip we are going to get a cab and do turtles. We love the area and how close it is to Xel-Ha, X-plor, Tulum, Akumal, COBA. We did Cancun once and didn't like being picked up and then going to a transfer station and then another hour on a bus. It would take at least 3 hours of a day wasted in transportation. Catalonia Riviera Maya is gated in Puerto Aventuras and close to all the things we like. Will update a new review when we return again, going again Aug 23-31-See your there. Paula & Richard(Wyoming).

Room Tip: We had a room that overlooked the pool on the Riviera Maya side. We had a little glimpse of the ocea...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Dear Paula C,

We would like to thank you such nice comments about our hotel facilities. We all are deeply glad to hear that you spent a great time with us. For the second time!!! We really appreciate your comments about the hotel and staff, we work every day to give you our best service and make you feel comfortable.

It is great to know that you have a good time. We feel very proud of the impression you have from the hotel and our service and the country, we ewally thionk the Riviera Maya have a lot of things to offer so we glad that you got the chance to discover.

We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Yours sincerely,

Hote Manager
Owensboro, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

This is our second vacation to Catalonia Riviera Maya resort and we did purchase the privileged rooms. This time we took our 18 year old and his friend as their graduation gift. We arrived early and were greeted with drinks and a smile. Took a little extra time to get our room after our check in time, but we were given our full access to the resort and all it's great amenities!
Across the board the service is great, with exceptions on either end. Gerardo at the margarita bar is exceptional. Hector took care of our room and always ensured we had everything we needed and were comfortable at all times.
Kayaking and snorkeling are great activities and the entertainment is great as well.
The negative reviews must be from people who don't want to have fun as the options are endless!
The food ranges from good to excellent and if there is something you don't like, you have literally hundreds of options.
We've been before and plan to go back!!!

Room Tip: Certainly pay the extra for privileged rooms and service! Much better amenities and individualized s...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear nsmith4t2,

First of all we would like to thank you for writing and choosing our Hotel once again and I would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us.

It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel, we very glad you have a great vacation with your friends and family..

We hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Sincerely
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda
#122 of 201 in Playa del Carmen
3.5 of 5 stars 6,245 reviews
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!