“It all depends on what you're looking for...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Manzana 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersGold level
Hyattsville, Maryland, United States
“It all depends on what you're looking for...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We visited the CRM from July 24-28th. It was a group of 10 of us. The ride from the airport is a little far, so be prepared to sit for about an hour. Upon arrival at the hotel, they greet you with a non-alcoholic drink that was a pretty nice gesture--a little too sweet from me. But, you leave your luggage with the bellhop and go to the desk to check-in. Check-in was extremely slow. They give an entire speech about the property and all the amenities to each person. They probably could eliminate that by printing up brochures. We were so tired from traveling, that we weren't paying attention. The upgrade in my opinion isn't worth it unless you plan to be in your room a lot. Sure you get a nice, large bathroom (some of my friends paid for the upgrade) and a separate living room area, and then a balcony with a "pool" (it's more like bathtub). I stayed in the privilege rooms and to me, that was a nice room. The bathroom was really nice. And the A/C works very well!
The property is beautifully landscaped. Be careful of the bridge that leads from the hotel lobby to the rest of the property. It was slippery at times and I slid once (with tennis shoes on). Luckily I was able to grab the railing. We didn't even try all of the a la carte restaurants. For the most part we ate at the buffet just because our group was so large. We did try the Italian Restaurant and the Japanese restaurant. Nothing to brag about. Most of it was just OK. The pool areas were pretty quiet. And I never understand why the pools close so early. People are on vacation. Went to the club one night, but all they played was salsa. Yes, we were in Mexico...but I guess I was expecting it to be like when I travel to other resorts and they play all types of music.
Please visit Josue at the bar. He is awesome!!! Best bartender there. Overall for the money we paid for everything, this was an excellent deal. As a travel agent, I would recommend it to people who want to experience Mexico. Just be aware that the beach is not the best for swimming. I broke all my nails on one hand (yes, all of them) because I had to keep catching myself when the waves came in and it's all rocks. Don't forget your water shoes. It was that bad. BUT you only had to walk out about 5 feet and the water was so clear, you could see the fish swimming around you.

Excursions:
If you get a chance to do an excursion, go to Xcaret park. What a great time. And the spa (additional cost) is so worth it. I had the chocolate treatment and that was the highlight of my entire trip. Book it prior to going...and make sure you print the confirmation. A lot of the staff at the park acted like they had never seen the confirmation email and were trying to send us to a different park. My receipt came just as a simple paypal receipt. My best friend actually got an email from the spa. Both work, but apparently, the spa and staff at the park don't communicate. But, we ended up having the customer service at the park call the number on the receipt (before we took a taxi like they said) and they confirmed we were at the right place. Another great tour was the Chichén Itzá Tour. We booked this at the hotel. The tour guides were amazing!! It's an all day tour so wear good shoes. Lunch is provided and they gave us all the beer and soda we could drink.

Room Tip: Get the privileged rooms. I wouldn't upgrade to the one above that unless you just need the spac...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
catrivieramaya1, Генеральный директор at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear ArtNSoulEscapes;

Thank you very much for your detailed feedback, I am sure that other travellers might find it very useful.

We transferred your kind words to Josue and he was extremely thrilled and happy to hear it.

You are right about our beach - it`s rocky because we are located on a second world largest coral reef so rocks are the part of a deal :)

Next time try our internal SPA you will be surprised about service and range of treatment we have also printed-out confirmation is not required :)) All you need to do is ask our Concierge service to book it for you either any other service you may need: flowers, Romantic Lobster Dinner on a beach, golf sessions, etc.

It would be a pleasure for us to receive you again in a near future so we will have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Sincerely yours,
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (777)
  • Polish first
Astoria, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

I have been holding off writing this review as I'm still getting over this horrible experience... They say you get what you pay for, but at the catalonia you definitely feel ripped off.

Let's begin with the good.... beautiful beaches, pools, amazing views... and very relaxing.
The entertainment staff is probably the best part of the hotel, although most don't go on vacation for the entertainment staff.. Barbara and Jaime were absolutely the best.. More helpful than the actual staff... The cleaning service... amazing, clean, immaculate!! thank you ladies!!

This brings me to the bad.... although cleaning service was great, our room was filled with ants!!! filled!!! There is no manager to be found in sight!! Everything in our room was broken, tv, refrigerator, the bed!!!

The horrific.... The foodd was terrible!!! absolutely terrible..this is my 7th time at an all inclusive and this had to be the worst and one of the more expensive ones... the restaurants were always full ( we made a note to go at 6:30 -7:00)

At the italian restaurant i waited to hours to eat tagliatelle bolognaise, which consisted of noodles hamburger helper and ketchup!!! ketchup!!! blasphemy!!!.... The buffets were ok but to be in mexico and not have tacos al pastor at least one night... terrible!!!! two of the nights we spent hungry..it was the worst feeling... My cousin got sick and no came to help i asked for a doctor no one came, I asked for a bottle of water, they said my bracelet did not allow room service...it was so bad that the last day we took a cab and ate at playa del carmen.... There is no organization in this hotel...they do not care about their guests aside from the entertertainment staff.. I hope you pay them and the cleaning staff well because they are the only good thing about this place!! i stayed here in july for 7 days and lost 6 pounds.. you are not supposed to loose weight on vacation!!!! shame on you catalonia..never again... go to live aqua, now jade, the royal.. pay a little extra..but get treated like a human being!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Missed doing a review on our last trip! We love the CAT. Will be our second trip leaving next Saturday and this trip bringing friends who haven't been. This is will be our fourth trip, second to Catalonia. I will not go anywhere else since we found the CAT. -You don't get lost, yet you have space and lots of food choices. The spa is AMAZING! It is a do not miss! We did the couples massage and enjoyed the pool and spa area all day!. We loved taking bikes down to the Marina and walking around. I wish I had his name at the desk that helped with excursions-Very Good. The staff in the restaurants work hard, the resort is clean, our room was great, loved the rain shower. My favorite was the Hibachi and the Creperie. Snorkeling is right at the resort and you can go down and see fish from the rocks. Oh and Xplor is our favorite. I think this next trip we are going to get a cab and do turtles. We love the area and how close it is to Xel-Ha, X-plor, Tulum, Akumal, COBA. We did Cancun once and didn't like being picked up and then going to a transfer station and then another hour on a bus. It would take at least 3 hours of a day wasted in transportation. Catalonia Riviera Maya is gated in Puerto Aventuras and close to all the things we like. Will update a new review when we return again, going again Aug 23-31-See your there. Paula & Richard(Wyoming).

Room Tip: We had a room that overlooked the pool on the Riviera Maya side. We had a little glimpse of the ocea...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 16, 2014
Dear Paula C,

We would like to thank you such nice comments about our hotel facilities. We all are deeply glad to hear that you spent a great time with us. For the second time!!! We really appreciate your comments about the hotel and staff, we work every day to give you our best service and make you feel comfortable.

It is great to know that you have a good time. We feel very proud of the impression you have from the hotel and our service and the country, we ewally thionk the Riviera Maya have a lot of things to offer so we glad that you got the chance to discover.

We definitely hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Owensboro, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

This is our second vacation to Catalonia Riviera Maya resort and we did purchase the privileged rooms. This time we took our 18 year old and his friend as their graduation gift. We arrived early and were greeted with drinks and a smile. Took a little extra time to get our room after our check in time, but we were given our full access to the resort and all it's great amenities!
Across the board the service is great, with exceptions on either end. Gerardo at the margarita bar is exceptional. Hector took care of our room and always ensured we had everything we needed and were comfortable at all times.
Kayaking and snorkeling are great activities and the entertainment is great as well.
The negative reviews must be from people who don't want to have fun as the options are endless!
The food ranges from good to excellent and if there is something you don't like, you have literally hundreds of options.
We've been before and plan to go back!!!

Room Tip: Certainly pay the extra for privileged rooms and service! Much better amenities and individualized s...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear nsmith4t2,

First of all we would like to thank you for writing and choosing our Hotel once again and I would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us.

It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel, we very glad you have a great vacation with your friends and family..

We hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Sincerely
Hotel manager
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Though very late (!) I wanted to leave this review.
We stayed here in 2012 and loved it; it was the best holiday we had ever had (2 adults) and the nicest resort.
We wanted to go back next year but have been put off by some of the changes, e.g. exclusive restaurants for some guests and additional charges, as we think it costs enough to go to the Caribbean without extra costs! The pools, all restaurants, beach, snorkelling and nightclub were all great.... but that was a couple of years ago! Good base for visiting Coba and Tulum too.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mex_34

Its never late to hear about our dear guests, we would like to thank you such nice comments about our hotel facilities. We all are deeply glad to hear that you spent a great time with us.

We can wait to see you again, it will be a pleasure for us to receive you again in the near future so we will have another opportunity to pamper you and exceed your expectations.

surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

just returned from 11 glorious days at the CATALONIA RIVIERA MAYA, 7 of us from 66 to 18 months.The first thing is you don't need to upgrade,we had 3 rooms all with excellent air conditioning,showers with plenty of hot water and very comfortable beds,what more do you need?
It is 2 hotels in one and you can use all the facilities in both.
The food is very good,we eat in the indoor buffet as I am petriefied of birds and they were everywhere in the outdoor buffet,and its the same food.we also visited all the a la carte restaurants and they were superb,my favourite was the Italian,we found it easy to get in as we were eating very early because of the children,but be prepared to wait if you go past 7 o clock.
the pools are fantastic,one has animation team working non stop but can get noisy,so we went to the yacatan one.you get beach towels and can change them when you like.I had to keep jumping in the pool everytime the photographer came round with Tucans and Parrotts.
The staff are fabulous they work very hard and are all very friendly,the rooms and the whole place is spotless.we had a bottle of water in our rooms everyday
the beach is rocky but if you turn left there are no rocks,we went sailing,and snorkling,we did the turtles on our own just get a cab and go in the sea to see the turtles,we did the dolphins on our own just walk about 10 minutes and book direct (we did get a golf buggy to take us as it was a bit of a walk with the baby) we did not buy the photos as we thought they were too expensive and you cannot take your own photos,but you can keep all the memories in your head.get a cab to Playa de Carmen and book your excursions there as they are a lot cheaper.
we did find because its all inclusive ,some of the young mainly americans were drinking all day and became a bit of a nuisiance to others .
so thank you for a wonderful holiday and we hope to return one day

Room Tip: we all asked and got ground floor rooms because of the baby and elderly member
Dear angela085,

We would like to thank you such nice comments about our hotel facilities. We all are deeply glad to hear that you spent a great time with us. We really appreciate your comments about the hotel and staff, we work every day to give you our best service and make you feel comfortable.

It is great to know that you have a good time. We feel very proud of the impression you have from the hotel and our service.

Spring, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I never write reviews but you guys need to know how terrible this place is. Where to begin... They have bugs, it is run down, food terrible, you have to pay to be upgraded to a "primer" status just to sit on a lawn chair and have a private bar. The restaurants were not good and were hot. Do yourself a big favor and pay extra and staff somewhere else. Worst place we have ever stayed. If you want to vacation with screaming children and having them run all over the place, this would be your resort. You can't swim in the ocean because there are too many boulders.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!