“August 5-9” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Manzana 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Orlando, Florida
“August 5-9”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

My husband surprise me with this trip, it was his first time in Mexico, so he searched for a nice hotel and he did a good job with the Catalonia. From the moment we walked in we were greeted with a glass of a fruit punch, everybody was very nice our front desk agents Alegandro was very nice informative during check in. Food was ok not too much variatity, the ala carte restaurant were ok the only bad is you cannot make reservations so when you go there you will have too wait as much as one hour I think they need to change that. Our room was always clean and neat our room attendant Marina went above and behind to make us feel comfortable in our room everybody there was very friendly and nice they always have an smile. I love the hotel the pools were nice even thou we did not use the pools. We spent loud days by the beach it was beautiful just like a big pool but please wear water shoes you will need them. I was very happy that we are planning to go back in February with my son. I know he will love the beach and all the amenities there. Thank you everybody for our beautiful vacations. Please tip they work really hard and they do there best to make our stay comfortable. Oh I almost forgot right next to the beach is this small place where you can get massages let me tell you I had many but this one was the best the man knew what he was doing and they were very affordable I paid $50 for one hour it was worth it I wished I would had approach him sooner. We were in room 358 under the last name Bessis.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Myrian28

We are glad to know that your last stay at Catalonia Riviera Maya was a pleasant one and we really appreciate your comments about the hotel and staff, we work every day to give you our best service and make you feel comfortable.

We hope to have you back soon, it would be great

Best Regards

The Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Polish first
pmast
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

We just returned with friends from the Catalonia Riviera Maya. The resort itself is pretty. And the front desk upgrade was very accommodating so that we and our friends could be close. But all in all I was ok about the experience.

Rooms clean, staff very friendly, but verrrrrry slow, joking themselves about a "Mexican minute". Probably the best staff were at the Pure Chill Bar, followed by the staff at El Mercado buffet. Food at the Mexican, Italian and tapas not spectacular with very small portions...almost like appetizers. We ended up stopping at the buffets afterward. With no weight gain after 8 days there, we know we were not being gluttons.

Beaches were kept clear of seaweed and although a bit rocky, perfect overall.

Entertainment staff fun.

I would only consider returning if the price was extremely reduced.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to haggle for room upgrade.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Pmast,

First of all we would like to thank you for writing and choosing our Hotel and I would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the most importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.

We hope you will decide to visit us again in the future, it will be our pleasure to welcome and pamper you once again!

Sincerely
Hotel manager
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

The boyfriend and I stayed here this past week for 5 days/4 nights. I definitely worried myself with many of the negative reviews on here, but it was all for naught. The food was very good and the service at the buffets(refilling drinks, etc.) ranged from good to great. Esther in El Mercado is a machine and always kept the coffee coming. Antonio in Las Brisas was the same. We only had dinner at the Tapas restaurant and the Italian one, but both were lovely and delicious. The beach IS rocky, but the lagoon side is not(for those who simply can't deal). Personally, I preferred the rocky side for the snorkeling. Everything was clean and well kept and our A/C went from 'off' to 'low tundra'and everything in between.

I definitely recommend getting the upgrade to the Honeymoon Room: couples massage, romantic dinner on the terrace, champagne and chocolates in the room, gorgeous bed and shower, personal plunge pool on the balcony...super romantic! The massage was so nice we booked a longer one the day after! The spa is gorgeous and has a wet steam room and sauna which you get a day pass for when booking the honeymoon room

The staff as a whole was so positive and friendly; you couldn't walk by without a cheerful greeting. We will definitely visit again!

Room Tip: Honeymoon rooms!!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Edavey,

We would like to thank you for your nice comments.

We will pass your positive feedback you our staff. They will really happy to hear your kind words.

It was such a real honor to be your host during this vacations and I hope you visit us again soon.

Best regards,

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Pros:
Catalonia Riviera Maya is a great all-inclusive vacation spot. The drinks are phenomenal, there are several bars, with the best one right on the beach (Pure chillout bar). Food in the buffet places is good (not incredibly exotic, but good), there is a variety of stuff to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you want to eat at their other restaurants I recommend that you book a privileged room, that way you get some dinner tickets to the fancier restaurants and you can also eat breakfast and lunch at those places, plus your room will be better than the standard rooms. The entire resort is very clean, well-maintained and beautiful. Most people who work there are very helpful and friendly EXCEPT at the Creperie place upstairs (read cons below). Otherwise everyone is great.

Cons:
1) The Creperie place upstairs. The crepes and shakes are awesome there, but they employ these teenage girls that can't even smile and don't say a word. Clearly bored of doing their job. They just toss your plate in front of you.
2) Exclusive Travel Club Membership offers. The staff will try to get you to atend a 90 min tour where they show you their premium rooms and try to get you to join a super expensive exclusive travel club. If you have 90 min you don't mind wasting, do it, you will get some valuable discount coupons, a beach bag and t-shirt. Otherwise decline!
3) Too many rocks on the beach. Hard to get into the beautiful water, so you may want to consider wearing rubber sandals or something.
4) This comment is for Mexico in general: consider taking Safe Sea lotion with you, it is a sunblock and also prevents the "Cancun rash" caused by the larvae of a certain jelly fish in warm seasons. We got the rash upon leaving Mexico. A few days on Benadryl and things got better. They are itchy as hell.

Room Tip: You get a great room if you ask to be in the "privileged" category. It even comes with a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, Генеральный директор at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear John G,

Let me thank you for your kind and detailed feedback, it would be very useful for other travellers!

The sea here is rocky indeed and the reason for it is that we are located on a second world largest coral reef so it wouldn't affect seabed. So water shoes are extremely recommended :)

Please do not hesitate to let us know if there is anything else we can improve to provide our guests with a best service they deserve.

Any room upgrades or requests you may need easily could be made with our Concierge service, just give us a call!

Thank you again, we are really happy you enjoyed stay with us and hope to see you again soon!

Sincerely yours,
General Manager.
Warminster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Was there for 11 days recently. Had a great time. The hotel and the grounds are beautiful and well maintained. Food was very good. The staff at the resort really sets it apart. Everyone is so friendly and accommodating. The ocean is rocky, but as long as you have water shoes you will be fine. They have free snorkel rentals (1 hour), free sail boat rides (weather permitting), and nightly shows starting at 9:30. We will be back.

Room Tip: upgrade to Privileged
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Dear John_C_Pa

We are glad to know that your last stay at Catalonia Riviera Maya was a pleasant one and we really appreciate your comments about the hotel, we work every day to give you our best service and make you feel comfortable.

We hope to have you back soon, it would be great

Best Regards

The Management
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

I stayed at the Catalonia for a week-long vacation with my husband & 1 ½ year old. It is about an hour away from the airport. The resort does not have its own shuttle service so we reserved a private van with a carseat to pick us up from the airport. I was a little nervous traveling with a baby for the 1st time, but the resort is very family-friendly & we had a great time & would love to go back! In my opinion, this resort is very reasonable priced for what you get. It is definitely worth it to upgrade to “privileged” as I don’t think it would have been as enjoyable otherwise, mainly because of the suite that was perfect for a family. We stayed in 2nd floor Privileged Family Suite- #8411. We were in a quiet area close to the Algeria Spa & hibachi restaurant. The resort is large but not too overwhelming that you can’t find your way around easily. We were just a few minutes’ walk from the pools & beach. The suite was perfect for our needs with a baby & was very comfortable & modern. The king size bed was so comfy & we took advantage of the pillow menu. We had a living room & huge bathroom off the bedroom that were accessible through sliding pocket doors. This was ideal for our family because we put the baby to sleep in a pack-n-play in the living room & could close this area off while we could still stay up & enjoy the suite & balcony. The large balcony was the best part of the suite- we had a table and chairs to the left & a soaking tub to the right plus a garden view. We’d get drinks from the bar & bring them back to our room to enjoy while relaxing in the tub. The suite also had a mini-bar with beer, sodas & water restocked daily (and included!) The housekeeping staff was very friendly & accommodating. We really enjoyed coming back to the room in the late afternoons to see what they created out of towels & flowers (they even made a dinosaur once, I think for the baby!) My only complaint regarding the room is that the pack-n-play was not in the room when we arrived even though we requested it with our reservation & my husband called the day before to confirm again. It took a few hours to get it to the room & was made even worse with an over-tired baby just off a 4 hour flight. My husband had to go to the front desk after 2 additional calls to the desk from our room. Thankfully though, this was our only issue related to the room.
The privileged beach area is beautiful with beds on the beach, beanbags & lounge chairs. The Pure Chill Out Bar is on the privileged side & we enjoyed many delicious drinks here. There are rocks in the water, so bring water shoes if you don’t want to attempt to swim over them. We walked about 500 feet past this beach to the sister resort- Catalonia Yucatan to try out their beach. You can use the accommodations at either resort, regardless of which one you are staying at. The Yucatan beach does not have any rocks & you can walk right it. There was also great snorkeling here, with tropical fish all around you. We also really enjoyed the hammocks right on the beach. Great spot to read & enjoy the sea breeze! There are multiple pools around the resort, but we mainly stuck to the largest one behind the beach. There is a large kiddie pool attached (probably about 1 foot of water high). My son absolutely loved this area! There are multiple bars close by the pool to serve you all day long. We also enjoyed the smoothie bar that is close to the lagoon area. The lagoon is full of large fish you can feed or snorkel with. It’s also shallow, so a good area for young children to swim in. A few times during the week, vendors set up tables at the resort & we were able to buy some great souvenirs without having to leave the Catalonia. One night they also had a mariachi band, traditional Mexican games & a tequila tasting bar. It was a lot of fun to get to enjoy more of the Mexican culture.
We ate at the buffet for breakfast & lunch almost every day. They had a wide variety of food, but we got kind of bored after a few days. They’d offer a couple traditional Mexican items each day (empanadas, burritos) but mainly had typical lunch items like pizza, lunchmeat, pasta, etc. We ate at the Bamboleo snack bar for lunch a few times for some variety. They have more bar-type food like burgers & fries. Overall, I’d say the food was just average but I wasn’t expecting gourmet meals anyway, so it didn’t damper the vacation. We always found something we liked at each meal. We only drank bottled water although we saw some Americans drinking the water provided at the restaurants. We asked another guest about it & he informed us that the water is filtered into the resort. With a baby, I was still leery about this so didn’t risk drinking it. Unlike other resorts I’ve been to, you cannot make reservations for their specialty restaurants, so you risk waiting in line or the restaurant being full. I think the resort should allow reservations as it makes things more enjoyable for the guests to not have to worry about rushing to an early dinner to avoid crowds. We wound up eating right when the restaurants opened at 6pm every night. Once we were turned away around 6:15 because the restaurant was already full. Another time, we did get in but waited about 30 minutes in line. Privileged guests have access to some additional restaurants- Terrace Tapas Lounge & (I think) the hibachi restaurant, Mikado. The hibachi was our favorite food & it was fun to sit & watch the chef perform & cook the meal. The Tapas restaurant offers Spanish style tapas food & has a great view of the resort & beach. We also really liked the Mexican restaurant Los Alebrijes & the food & margaritas were very good! The outside Creperie had really delicious savory & sweet crepes & fruity smoothies. This is open earlier than the other restaurants & is more casual that the others. All of the restaurants offered kids’ menus & very clean high chairs which made things very convenient for us. We had an issue with extremely slow service at the Italian restaurant- Bellavista. Our waiter was really friendly but forgot about our table once the restaurant was full. Service was very slow & people who came in after us got dessert before us & left before us. We wound up leaving about 45 minutes after our entrees were done & no one came around for our dessert order even though we asked a few times & the waiter said he’d be over. I know vacation is supposed to be relaxing, but this was just extremely too slow!
I spent an afternoon at the resort’s Algeria Spa. The spa pool is so relaxing & beautiful- with lounge chairs built into the pool & a huge stone wall with water flowing down. You have access to the pool when you have a spa session as well as the sauna & vapor room. The massage and facial I got were so relaxing & the whole afternoon experience spent there was well worth the price! I highly recommend it. I also highly recommend taking a day trip to see Mayan ruins. We took a half-day trip to Tulum. We booked it through the resort at about $60 per person (the baby was free). This included shuttle service (with other pick-ups at nearby resorts) and a guide at the ruins. Tulum is breathtaking & the beach is out-of-this world!
Overall, we really had a wonderful time. We were pleasantly surprised with the quality of the accommodations at the resort as well as the friendliness and convenience towards families on vacation. We’d love to go back next year!

Room Tip: privileged rooms are worth the extra money
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Had a great time at this resort. My family enjoyed our stay. The staff was nice and helpful. They had various restaurants for different tastes. They even had one open late for a late snack. Grounds were kept very clean. Not noisy at nights. Close to beach, water was great for snorkeling. Great deal for the price. Nightly performance was awesome we loved the comedy and nightmare shows the best.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!