“You get what you pay for” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Manzana 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Buffalo, New York
“You get what you pay for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

I'll start off by saying that we paid $700 per person for a week at this resort and the flight. That's a pretty good deal no matter how you swing it.

Our flights went smoothly and finding the shuttle to our resort at the airport was a little confusing, but also went smoothly. We took the shuttle with 2 other couples who were going to different resorts, the ride is LONG (about an hour), but we didn't have to wait longer than 20 min for the shuttle to leave the airport.

Checking in was an absolute nightmare to put it lightly. We arrived around 12pm and were told (even though we upgraded to privileged) that our room wouldn't be ready until 3. I had read that this might happen so we weren't outraged. We took our carry on bags to the buffet and had a nice lunch. Then we sat by the pool for a bit (Bring suits in your carry on so you can change!). At 3pm we went back to the lobby to check in. They said we would have to wait 20 more minutes. 20 minutes? Not too bad, ok. We waited 20 minutes. I went to the desk again….the woman at the front desk told me 20 more minutes. At this point we were hot, sweaty, and just wanted to get in our rooms to shower. 6 hours of flying and 3 hours of waiting and my patience was fading. FINALLY, it was ready. We didn't tip the guy who carried our bags because we were just so frustrated.

The room was beautiful. We had some issues with the air conditioning not working throughout the week, but all we had to do was call and someone came and fixed it. They never gave us the part to the safe that actually works the safe (or even mentioned it), so we had to go back to the lobby to get that. They also forgot our beach towels and we had to call for those.

After everything had been settled we took a moment to just breathe and go explore the resort. It is truly a beautiful place. The grounds are immaculate. The beach is beautiful, but yes it is rocky. I'm not a huge beach swimmer so this wasn't that big of an issue. We snorkeled just about every day and it was awesome!

The buffet food is….ok. La Brisa is definitely not as good as El Mercado, which we realized about halfway through the trip. Dinner at the restaurants was AWESOME. The Japanese and the Tapas were our faves. All of the food just tastes a little off. Foods like chicken nuggets at the snack bar are good, don't get me wrong, they just taste a little strange.

The people at the resort are awesome! Olga (entertainment staff) is always so nice and fun to watch. Juan at the chill out bar was the best bartender! He works from 3-close most nights. Ask for Juan's special…you won't be disappointed.

We meet so many cool people at the resort and we genuinely had a great time. We saved a lot of money by going to this resort, but I think I would want a little more luxury if I were to go to this area again.

P.S: We took a taxi to akumal beach and used our own snorkel equipment to swim with the turtles. Save your money and do it this way! It was $25 each way for the taxi and $12 to rent 2 life vests. You don't need a guide to find the turtles, they're everywhere! We did the same thing for Tulum. Take a taxi, skip the guide. It's far too hot there to listen to someone talk for an hour anyway. After you see the ruins, go to the exit and follow the road all the way down to the left. You'll find the most incredible beach I've ever seen. There are also several small restaurants to grab a beer/food.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Polish first
Port Orange Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

I have read some of the the reviews on here for months before we arrived and I can tell you some are way way off base! check in was an absolute breeze,no hard sell on upgrades. In fact we have 4 rooms and we were upgraded by expedia right before we left,and had even asked if we could upgrade one to honeymoon suite but none were available. Rooms are fantastic , grounds are beautiful and the entire staff is great and friendly. I have a total of 8 of us traveling including 2 kids and they can't wait to get up and start playing beach volleyball!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
gowen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Just came back from the cat the first week of june 2014. I have always loved the cat and we have been there several times with ourselves and family. I did not like someone telling me to give them 90 minutes to show us a new program and 3 hours later still bending our ear and thinking that most people have 20-30'000 dollars to invest into your resort for future stays. Bunk!. I have always loves the laid back attitude of the cat and the staff has always been wonderful. Many people I know have been sent to the cat because of this reason. We were told that if we did not purchase this package, we could not ever have a privileged room again. I spend two years to save the funds to go to the resorts. I know that whatever I say will fall on deaf ears but I talked to many many people while we were there and there was nobody that wanted the cat to change. Also believe by separating people from the chill bar is degrading. Sorry to say good bye.

Room Tip: upgrade always.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Obviously by the title of the review, I like the catalonia Riviera Maya otherwise I would not have returned again and again. As it has been a year since our last visit, I was interested to see if things have changed, for better or worse.
First, the changes. Breakfast and lunch ala carte is available in the itallian restaraunt for the Privileged(upgraded) guests. nice addition for those who want to sit and relax inside and have a nice view, or those who have just had too much sun. We tried the breakfast one day, service was great, food was not overly impressive though. We both ordered eggs benedict, i'm used to an english muffin, this was more of a biscuit. Egg white was undercooked and sauce was not good. The fruit plate was good however.
We tried the room service one night. Sandwiches, fries, cake, very good .
The cat has changed two of their bars. The Pure Chill bar at the edge of the property (Yucatan side) has been upgrade and has nice loungers and beach area. Good upgrade. (this area is also for the Privilege guests). The other bar that has been changed is the one in between the italian and spanish restaraunts (indoor). There used to be a large area with a great view and you could sit outside if you wish. this has changed. the bar and bar area is very small and no longer has the outdoor access nor the view.
One additional change is that there is now a new traveler club that is offered. several Traveler Club Concierges are positioned around, at the check in and at what I consider to be the central hub( by the main buffet and pool area and the stairs to go up to the creperie, the Tapas, Itallian, and Spanish restaraunts. We took some time and listened to the club offerings, and for some it may be a good option. for others it will have a toned down feel of a timeshare presentation. There are two club concierges who are in the central hub area that I came to dislike rather quickley. Much like a bad used car salesman. I heard some comments they made to other guests that were unprofesional and quite frankly, sleazy. These two in my opinion need to go. They give a bad rap to the Elite travel club. We talked with Richard who was at the main check in area, he seemed to present the club in a much better light, and the reason that we gave up some vacation time to listen. Last couple things about the travel club, It seems that too many people are involved in the pitch. We talked with 4 different people throughout the presentation, each having a different job to do. To me, if there are that many, that means they are ineffective, and overpaid. Finally, Concierges (travel club or not) should klnow everything about the resort, food,entertainment, open close times of eateries, etc. most, did not seem to have a clue.

For new and/or potential guests, This is a great resort for the money overall! The beach area is somewhat rocky in spots but still nice.They also have a lagoon area that is sandy and always calm and is a great place to swim, kayak etc.
Service is usually very good, Mostly friendly staff some familiar faces from previous stays, some even remembered us. good food. alcohol is average, can't expect top shelf liqour when they don't charge top shelf daily rates. entertainment is good, though sometimes it seemed unorganized on some of the rainy days we experienced.
The hotel does push the upgrade to the priv. rooms, which we have always done as it is not too much more and seems worth it. That said, the more Priveleged guest only venues that are offered....may threaten to alienate the non upgraded guests.
I would still recomend the resort to friends and will go back for a 5th stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Friendly staff, large rooms, good selection of food and A la Carte restaurants.

Obviously not 5* but doesn't claim to be.

A good choice of activities to join in if you want but no pressure to. Good shows.

I'd recommend the Catalonia.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Just returned from 2 weeks at the Catalonia. So much better than expected and much higher standards than package European holidays. The check in was a bit of a hassle after an11 hour flight as waited 45 mins with only 2 people in front so need to sort this out!! However was expecting staff to push upgrade. They mentioned it but we're very polite and welcoming but not pushy. Standard room is basic without a fridge and pay about three dollars a day for the safe. However I have to say that the place is immaculate. All credit to the cleaners. I also have to mention how courteous and friendly the Mexicans are. All who pass say hola from cleaners to bar staff. Fabulous location right on the beach but do take beach shoes if you have sensitive feet. Yes there are some rocks but also some sandy bits that you can access the sea by. A must is to take some bread down to the lagoon and feed the fish. This provided us with hours of entertainment. Breakfast we thought was fabulous with an array of fresh fruit, pancakes, omelette etc. We don't eat much lunch and so had snacks in the bambaleo grill by the pool. For us we were not keen on the buffet of an evening. Too much fried food. More catered towards the Americans. More exciting salads, grilled lean chicken and meat would be more preferable and also had to wait a while for stir frays etc. Drinks fabulous. Hose makes the best mohitos and coco loco cocktails. Day entertainers great fun especially Olga. Lots to do with beach volley and water polo. To be honest we were usually in bed by 9 or 10 so didn't sample the evening entertainment much. It rained for 4 days more or less solid in our second week. Entertainers did their best with bingo and indoor darts. However more structured entertainment would have been appreciated as there are only so many books you can read and mohitos you can drink. Would we return, most certainly we would!!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

I stayed here for a week with my parents and 19 year old brother 5/20-5/27. A few specific things irked us but for the most part the place was average. Let me point out we were considered "privileged" guests also. The alcohol selection is terrible... Corona is the only beer around. Modelo is a rare find. The tequila is junk Jose Cuervo (we're in Mexico, seriously?) and if you want Captain Morgan you have to be some kind of elite traveler club member. Bartenders have no idea what they're doing when it comes to mixed drinks either. The food was okay... breakfast buffet was my fav. Room service food sucked. The restaurant food I will say was great though. The Tapas and Italian restaurants were the best out of them all. The beach is rocky- you def need water shoes unless you want to wreck yourself. I think they need more poolside drink service here like most other resorts. One bartender- Gerardo was hilarious and knew how to make drinks. Jesus, one of the concierge guys is great too- stop by and talk to him for a laugh! The rooms are fine, beds are comfy. I slept like a rock every night. Free snorkeling is pretty cool... make sure you go out on the rocks (wear shoes) and explore. I've never seen anything like that, especially on the grounds of a resort. 20 min free catamaran ride was okay... they really take you far out there! Overall would not stay here again. Puerto Aventuras in general is a beautiful gated community... if anything I would consider moving to the area or at least check out a different resort. :)

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!