“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Manzana 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

Me and my family have been to this hotel on many occasions and each trip the Catalonia Riviera Maya hotel beats our expectations of everything. This place is perfect for families, the cuisine is amazing, the staff are so friendly and this place feels like a second home. I even get emotional when I look through the photos- I love it here and it is the best hotel I have ever been to!

• Stayed October 2013
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear sassysydney17

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (763)
  • Polish first
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We really needed a vacation so we booked the 5 nights at Catalonia Yuacatan and booked the garden view room which was less then $2000 for the 2 of us. We arrived at noon and decided we really wanted a king size bed for our stay so for $175 cnd we up graded to the privileged. Our room was ready at 3pm. Our room was on the 4th floor so we had a bit of a work out every time we went to the room. Which was what we needed after eating and drinking. Our room was well appointed and very clean.

I like the fact that you don't need to pre-book the al cart restaurants. The most we waited was 45 minutes and we always found a nice place to sit and have a drink while we waited.

We spent a lot of time in or near the Pure Bar and we enjoyed that very much.

Not sure where the negative comments come from but we really enjoyed our stay and would go again for sure and I have recommended this resort to friends.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued, MaybeGoingSouth

Hotel Manager
Warrington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We are the other family referred to in another review of the hotel, whereby we were told on arrival there were no rooms available for us. I wont repeat the other review except to add that two other couples were in the same position at the same time - a total of 13 people in one god knows how many other people this happened to. if you cant trust the hotel to have the rooms ready you have booked in good faith then i dont believe you should go there - I agree that no reputable travel company should use this disgraceful hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Booked this hotel for six people six months before travelling in upgraded rooms . After travelling for nineteen hours were told when we got there they had no rooms available for two days so we would have to go to a different hotel for two nights ! We refused but was told we had no choice , we said ok but we were not prepared to go back we would stop were we were ! They said we couldn't do that as we were going to a better hotel ! We went to the Barcelo , premier rooms which was fantastic . Meeting with the Thompson rep the next day together with another family in the same situation she was very helpful ,she sorted out that we could spend the rest of our holiday at the Barcelo . We read reviews before we went about this but didn't believe them ! Thompson should pull out of this hotel , disgraceful way to treat your guests !!!!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stayed at this resort with both of our daughters and their husbands (April 12-17th). We booked this resort based on customer reviews, which are sooooo wrong it makes me sick to my stomach. We had 3 rooms (which were suppose to be priveleged but they were sold out on those) so the rooms we had were awful. The beds in my daughters room were hard as a board, no upper mattress at all, and her husband got locked in the bathroom because the doorknob was ready to fall off. The front desk told her they could possibly change us the next day so we managed the best we could the first night. The next morning (after 10) they finally told us they were overbooked by 20% and if we agreed to move to another resort for one night then they would give us a better room with the priveleged amenities when we returned. So we packed up all of our things and waited for a cab to this new resort, the Barcello Beach resort. This place was awesome. But of course the cab driver dropped us at the wrong place so we had to wait again to get a ride to the right resort and of course the check in there isn't until 3 so all we could do was sit out by the pool until then. The rooms they gave us there were junior suites ( very nice) but we never really relaxed because we knew it was only for one night. The food there was also better than at the Catalonia and the pool was open until 10. So then the next day we had to pack AGAIN and move back to the Catalonia where they gave us basically the same rooms we had before just in a different part of the hotel. So it is now 2 days into our 5 day vacation and we can finally unpack. My daughter had already gotten food poisoning so that worried us and the food at the buffet there was the WORST I have ever had. Nothing tasted fresh except the fruit. When we were looking at this resort before we booked it showed a 4 star rating. I would really like to know who they paid off to get that because I give them a 2 at best. The service was good, the resort grounds were well kept (except they closed all their pools at 7 for cleaning). Then our last full day there I got food poisoning so spent it in the room in bed all day. By far the worst vacation any of us had ever had and the resort did nothing to try to make our time there better. They gave us the priveleged amenities but not the room (so no mini bar or room service). I tried getting room service the day I was sick but was told we had the amenities but since we were in a standard room I couldn't get room service there. What the heck!!! This resort definitely needs to work on their management techniques. Who overbooks by 20%!!! My best advise for anyone who is looking at this resort is to run fast as far away as possible and book somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Grafton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

When we got our resort we were greeted with a mimosa - nice touch. Our adventure really began as we were going through the check-in process. Immediately we were asked if we wanted to ‘upgrade’ to a ‘Privileged’ room (he could also offer us a 30% right on the spot). We decided to pass thinking how bad could our rooms really be. Well, the rooms they were planning on putting us in was located at the sister resort (next door ‘Catalonia Yucatan”) and these room were no better than a flea infested motel on some road side. We were shocked!

We immediately went back to the front desk and asked to see about the ‘upgraded’ rooms. What disturbed me the most is that we booked rooms for the Catalonia Riviera Maya and not their sister property. The upgraded rooms were very nice but honestly I was expecting these rooms to begin with since this is where we made original reservations with.

So reluctantly, I paid the upgrade fee (with a 30% discount) that totaled about $500 for the four of us - not bad but I feel like I had no choice.

As for the food…the restaurants were very good for the exception of the steakhouse (not really a steakhouse but a converted snack area) - they simply do not know how to cook a steak to your liking. The buffets were good - nothing noteworthy but served their purpose and had all the usual suspects.

Service was all around very good. From the wait staffs to those rounding visitors up for entertainment - they were all very good and friendly.

Grounds were excellent, however, beware of those that claim the beaches are great. It’s actually a reef and very rocky. The beach area per se is not what you might expect. It is however, a great place to snorkel with your kids and the cove is nice if you have infants and young ones.

Some tips I would give is that you need make sure you don’t wind up on the Yucatan side and take your shower outside the hours of 4 and 6 pm (that when the resorts loses its pressure and you are forced to take an ice cold trickling shower). Also, don’t expect too much as it relates to the free wifi - its free for a reason, it’s very spotty.

Overall, I would rate this hotel a 3.5 out of 5 stars - above average but still needs some improvements. Hope this helps!

Room Tip: See my review...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

After having this resort recommended to us by several people, we booked a trip here fro a group of 8 - 4 couples. We were super excited to be coming to the Catalonia! I have been to Mexico about 5 or 6 times at resorts with similar ratings to this one and have always had a blast. However, the trip did not meet our expectations AT ALL.

We arrived at the hotel around 2:30 (check in was at 3)went to check in. The line was very long and the desk staff was slow but we were happy to be there so we didn't mind. We were told that for all our rooms to be together, we needed to upgrade to privileged. We were planning on doing that any way so we all paid the fee and were told that our rooms would be ready in 20/30 minutes. We went down and had some lunch and came back a little after 3pm. Our rooms still weren't ready, but would be in "10 minutes". 10 minutes go by and we are still waiting. There is a line of people waiting as well, so it just wasn't us who were having trouble getting into our room. Eventually, 2 hours pass and we are STILL waiting. We then asked to speak to a manager - Alejandro, the manager, took over 20 minutes to come out and speak to us. He offered NO apology and was able to have 2/3 rooms ready. He was very rude to all of us and not accommodating at all. My fiance and I were left waiting and were then told it would be another 40 minutes. Again, offering no apology/compensation for our time. We were furious and asked to speak to yet another Manager. Jackie was very nice, however, we were promised a couples massage or compensation for our time and they never followed through. This was a terrible start to our trip. If they had told us from the beginning that it would take over 2 hours after check in to get our room we wouldn't have spent all that time sitting in the lobby.

Also, I can't speak for other people, but we spoke with several other people at the resort who had the same issue. Rooms not ready, rude front desk staff.

Once we finally got to the rooms - they were very nice. The beds were comfortable, which is not usually the case in Mexico. However, our "privileged" room overlooked a construction site. Nice. Also the 'mini bar' consists of two cans of Corona that always seemed to be lukewarm.

Throughout the week we enjoyed the restaurants and buffet. Restaurant food was VERY good, buffet was just average. Nothing special.

Drinks were just okay as well - I typically stick to vodka soda but the vodka tasted funny. Every bar I got one at it tasted different. Sometimes the vodka was super sweet (like rum?) and sometimes it was just undrinkable. This could be because it was very, very low quality - which I understand is usually the case at these places but since we were privileged I thought we'd have access to a nicer liquor selection. Nope, that's for the privileged plus or some BS. We ended up going into Playa and buying our own vodka/rum. Much better.

The restaurant/buffet staff was not very friendly and seemed like they hated their jobs. We always tip well when we come to Mexico because usually staff is so friendly and helpful. The only nice staff were the entertainment team (So great!) and the bartenders.

Surprisingly the spa was VERY nice. We got a couples massage (not complimentary, even after the ordeal at the front desk) and it was amazing. The spa facilities were excellent as was the gym area.

We knew the beach wasn't going to be great from previous reviews and spent most of the time by the pool, so just know that the beach is very rocky and not very clean. One morning we were greeted with a used condom near the chairs on the privileged beach. Nice.

Finally, our trip was coming to a close. We went to check out and settle our bills (they charge everything you buy in the gift shop/spa to your room) and the credit card machine was not working. Again, Alejandro was involved in this transaction and offered no apology for the broken machine. We were simply told that we'd have to exchange our USD for pesos or use our debit card at the ATM to get pesos out. We asked if they could use a manual credit card machine and they said they didn't have one after telling us this happens with the credit card machine quite frequently. The resort had a terrible exchange rate so we ended up paying $45 USD on top of our charges. Again, no apologies were offered, the staff just stared at their computer screens and pretended to answer the phone.

Overall, I would never recommend this resort to anyone. Overall, this was the worst experience I've had in Mexico. I recommend going further down the coast to Grand Bahia Principe or to a Barcelo resort. Much nicer staff and better facilities and similar prices.

Room Tip: Don't choose this resort. If you do, ask for a room not by a construction site.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!