“Great value for the price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Mz. 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77782, Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Toronto, Canada
“Great value for the price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My boyfriend and I had a great 5 day stay at the Catalonia Riviera Maya. We arrived on March 31-14 and departed early morning on April 5th. I was disappointed that our room had two double beds opposed to one king size, we asked to upgrade but unfortunately no other rooms were available. We had a beautiful view facing the pool and the balconies are great! In the room you had a few snacks, bottle of tequila, a few bottles of water. I was pretty impressed with the wi-fi, there was internet access on the entire resort even on the beach. The entire resort was very clean, the food was good, the beach was nice, ocean was beautiful and the pools were nice and warm. The resort offered a variety of activities beach volleyball, water volleyball, scuba diving lessons, ping pong, aqua aerobics, zumba, archery, bingo, just to name a few. All of the staff at the resort were very friendly. For a 5 day stay we were able to go to 3 of the restaurants for dinner instead of the buffet, the food was really good but you needed to go right when the restaurant opened for dinner. If not, you will be put on a wait list or turned away. Other resorts I've stayed at you were required to make a reservation which I prefer much more. We visited the gym a couple of times during our stay, the gym was great and offered a variety of classes step, yoga, many more. I attended a few of the classes and found the instructor excellent! Overall we had a great vaccay! Another resort we would like to check out that is just a few minute walk is Dreams. Hopefully next time.
If you have any questions about the resort, please feel free to email me.
If my review was helpful then please do let me know.

Room Tip: It doesn't hurt to ask for an upgrade at check in. We didnt think it was worth it to upgrade to...

4,067 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Polish first
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Catalonia from March 30-April 4th. I thought it was great for what we wanted to do - relax, sit on the beach and hear the waves of the ocean, get lots of SUN! I did lots of research and read many reviews before we went so I knew what to expect. Based on the negative reviews from some, I was pleasantly surprised. Here are my honest opinions about the trip (from an easy going, mostly easy to please 30 yr old :) )

I can't comment on the cost value of our stay since we used airline points, I don't know what the actual cost would have been had we paid fully. We did upgrade to a privileged room thought and I think it was much worth it. Privileged get's you room extras (see below for those) access to the Tapas restaurant, which unfortuantely we never made it to and was closed on our last night, you can use a special side of the beach with very comfy loungers, and the PURE Chill out Bar. We spent most of our time lounging here. The italian restaurant was open in the morning for breakfast. It was nice and the view of the ocean was great, but PLEASE turn some AC on in there! I was dying it was so warm, needless to say it was a quick breakfast, I needed some ocean breeze asap.

Airport to Resort: about an hour and 15 minutes. I felt it was a quick drive and we were excited to get there so it made it easy!

The grounds: Impeccable. The staff were always out landscaping and cleaning. They really do an outstanding job, the reposort is beautiful. We saw some coatis and iguanas while we were there. It's not a massive resort, big enough, they layout I thought was good.

The beach: YES, it's rocky. Everyone has said this. I didn't have a problem with it, once you get past it it was fine. Just be cautious and watch where you are walking. I did whack my toe on a rock that blended in with the beach, ouch! The waves were huge which was my favorite part.

The pools: We preferred the pool on the Yucatan side since it was quieter. One day the bartender would bring us more drinks without even asking! He was great and remembered us the next day :) The pool on the RM side was where all the daytime activities and music were if that's your thing. It seemed that that pool closed earlier and everyone (party people) flowed to the Yucatan side later in the day.

The room: We had a room in building 8. Mostly great, there was a little noise from building 7 where they are fixing/rebuilding some balcony's but we weren't really there during the day anyway. We enjoyed our balcony at night very much. The shower I loved. It was a big walk in shower with a rain shower head. Awesome. We had a safe, a fridge which had soda, beer, water. We left a note if we wanted them to restock anything specific. No issues. Also, if you need more water during the day the bars have a self serve to fill up and Bomboleo has one as well.

WiFi: Terrible, slow :) Be advised if you want to connect to the outside world. We found the best connection was near the PURE Chill out bar.

Buffet's: We preferred the open air one La Brisas, only because we liked the breeze. I believe both have the same food options. Selection was great, my boyfriend had an omlet made everyday at the omlet station.

Restaurants: We ate at the Mexican, Japanese and Steakhouse. All were great. Probably Japanese the best because it was the most fun. I have to say though, we never had to wait. Typically went around 7ish and were seated right away. Because of Priviledged status? I don't know but I was happily surprised after the many comments/complaints about the restaurants not having reservations. No issues for us :)

Misc: The staff were great. A few of the concierge people came up to us various times to make sure everything was good. Very friendly :) I wish I remembered their names, sorry! I ordered room service one night, it never came. Sad!! Good thing I had some crackers left over from the flight haha. We never made it to the Spa, Italian restaurant or the Creperie so I can't comment on those. We ended up being early risers because of the 2 hour time difference, but even when we went out later in the morning we never had a problem getting chairs on the beach.

Well, I think that's all I have to contribute! All in all, I do recommend this resort, we had a great time!

Room Tip: We stayed in building 8 which is close to the beach and next to the Bomboleo. We liked it.
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

i read all reviews before booking and was very happy i decided to book from april 1-8
for the extra $105 for an upgrade tp priviledge status was a good and cheap choice,rooms were great with all that was needed,staff were fantanstic,food in buffet was good and lots of choice,al a cartes were very good and the wait was no more than 30 minutes and you could wait at the bar or take a stroll and come back.chill out bar and area on beach was a great plus,lagoon was great for easy access to ocean,and if you read reviews before booking then you were warned about rocky beach and to invest in water shoes,no big deal.
staff were always helpful and i never felt pressured to tip,in fact the opposite,one member in the crepe cafe even went out of her way to bring us some traditional mexican chocalate candy and would not accept any payment.
i found this hotel above average and had everything one could ask of in an all inclusive resort,i saw someone actually moaned about wifi signal,,,,who cares you are on holiday

Room Tip: upgrade and ask for a room in blocks 1-2 or 3
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Upon arriving we were told that the hotel was overbooked.... after having a reservation for almost 4 months and we were sent to another hotel for two nights. Basically, the other resort we were at was a total upgrade, and coming back to this resort was a disappointment.
The food - terrible, even at the "restaurants"
The beach was unswimmable
Standard rooms definitely a disappointment.
Stay at the Royal Tulum.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

My husband and I frequent Cancun and normally stay at all inclusive. We were NOT happy with the services, hospitality, beach and food.
Service- people were NOT eager to assist you it seemed like you were a burden to them.
Hospitality -People were Not friendly and we never felt welcomed
Beach-its ALL rocks! You cant swim without swim shoes. I was expecting my white sands and endless walking in the ocean. You have to go through the PUBLIC beach to swim and enjoy it.(unless you get kicked out because they are having a wedding)
Food-Buffets were tasteless which there are 2 but they serve the same things! Stick to the GOURMET restaurants
When you bring your concerns to Managers they say they will get back to you and that never happened!
Positive -rooms were nice unless you have to move because it smells like sewer (yes really did happen)
you book all these upgrades that the hotel sell you when you arrive (not excursions) and they don't follow up ...
Bottom Line -we were not satisfied with our stay

Room Tip: DONT upgrade the rooms are nice. Eat at the specialty restaurants breakfast,lunch and dinner. The s...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Prievidza, Slovakia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I spend 10 days with my family at this resort. Food is all you can expect from All Inclusive resort. The restaurants onsite are very good especially the Mexican and Japanese themed ones.
Little Lagoon onsite is excellent for kids. Scuba Diving is amazing. Great stay and will come back.

Room Tip: not on the ground level, might have bug issues
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

Fairly standard All-Inclusive style resort, great choice of restaurants serving food from 7am to 2am. -Spanish/Mexican, Asian, Steakhouse, 2 large buffets (1 has air con).
Several bars to choose from - pool bar, lobby bar, sports bar, nightclub, beach bar.
The resort is very clean and the gardens are kept immaculate. the staff are both friendly & helpful.
Wifi connection is a bit hit & miss but its free and you can get online in most areas.
Rooms are spacious, clean and modern.
The only downside is the long airport transfer (90 mins) but that aside I would recommend this hotel for families and would have no hesitation in returning here for another holiday.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!