“6th Trip and still great” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Manzana 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77783, Mexico   |
Offers & Announcements
Only on: 10% Discount!
Ranked #12 of 17 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Amherstburg, Canada
“6th Trip and still great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

Returning for a 6th trip speaks loads about this wonderful resort. There is not one area that I can fault. I really love the amazing service from everyone that is employed here, they make your vacation fun and relaxing. The food is great at the ala cartes, especially at Bamboleo Steak House and Mikado Japanese. The buffets are very well stocked with lots of variety, my favorite is their guacamole and ceviche!
We met up with a great gang of Trip Advisor friends and had a blast forming new friendships on another vacation. Priceless!
A big shout out to Pablo for getting the party started. Thank you Sylvia for your gracious hospitality along with your great Management team and staff. Far too many to mention. Gracias for another great winter escape!

Stayed January 2014
6 Thank jagmor
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear jagmor,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us.

We feel very proud and glad to hear such nice comments from our repeat guests, It is great to know that you always have a good holiday with us.

We definitely hope to see you again soon and pamper you as you deserve!

Halifax
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I read hundreds of reviews and forum posts before I booked this hotel, so I had a pretty good idea what to expect. Much has already been said, but this is our experience. I can not believe how it differs from some of the previous reviews and from people who were there at the same time as us.

Beautiful grounds and public areas which were spotlessly clean. A friendly and speedy check in. We did not watch any of the evening shows or participate in the daytime entertainment, nor did we use the spa, so cannot comment on these facilities.

ROOM: We had pre-booked a priveleged room which was spacious, nicely decorated and had lots of wardrobe space. Unfortunately we didn't get our request for an ocean view and high floor and the first room we were allocated was on the ground floor next to a busy thoroughfare which we did not want. We asked to move to a top floor room which they organised immediately and we were unpacking within 30 minutes of arriving at the hotel. Very happy.The air con was very powerful and welcoming after a hot day frying on the beach. Cleaning was daily and our room was always spotless with fun towel art left every day. The hairdryer wasn't the best and I would take my own on a future visit.
BEACH: One of the reasons we upgraded was so we could use the private chill out beach area/bar and boy are we glad we did! Every day that we spent at the hotel was on this lovely peaceful stretch of beach with the bar just behind. The sun loungers were comfier than the standard ones and there were mattress type beds & even bean bags which were great for moving around to face the sun or get in the shade. Access to the sea was rocky and water shoes really are needed on that particular part of the beach, although there were areas further down where you didn't. Also there are extremely selfish people that put towels down the night before to save their sunbeds or leave them for hours on end unused. We saw one couple save 4 sunbeds and 2 bean bags (for 2 people) at about 8 in the morning and they didn't start to use them until almost 2 in the afternoon! This was on our last day, otherwise I would have certainly moved the towels. I know it happens everywhere and the hotel should not have to police grown adults selfish behaviour. It's just one of those things that happens and no reflection on the hotel..
FOOD: Firstly I am quite particular about food quality and after reading some of the reviews I was a little apprehensive, but I need not have worried. I found the food in the buffet could be a little hit & miss. Having said that, there was so much on offer that there was always something we liked which was hot and tasty. We personally preferred the El Mercardo restaurant to the open air one. We ate only 3 nights out of 14 in the buffet and were satisfied with the offerings. The only gripe would be that some of the food was not hot enough. It was good that there was a selection of fresh seafoods and meats which you choose and then the chef would cook fresh to order for you.
For lunch we used the snack bar for delicious nachos, burgers, hot dogs, ribs, pizza, guacamole, salads, fries etc. The food was so nice in there that we really looked forward to our lunchtime treats topped with the fiery, bright green habaero sauce!
We found the Ala carte restaurants to be of good quality and unlike other people we didn't have any issue getting in. We did not join the queues at 5 o'clock as we have better things to be doing whilst on holiday, we just turned up. There was only one occasion that we were unable to get in to a restaurant. The reason we had no issue could be because we generally went early (around 6.30-6.45). This is not normal for us, but due to the time difference our body clocks were all over the place so we woke up really early and were out in the sun by 7.30-8 am and were ready to go back to our rooms by 4pm. Our favourite was the steak restaurant which we went to 3 times. The fillet is absolutely gorgeous. We had good meals in all of the restaurants. The house wine was acceptable, but you could buy a good bottle of wine for around $20.
BARS:We used all the bars except the sports bar and found the service generally fast and friendly. Nazario at the Pure Bar was funny and he mixed a great cocktails. Gregario at the Margaritas pool bar thinks it's a crime to see an empty glass in front of you! We spent most evenings in the El Abuelo lobby bar where drinks were served to our table and the girls serving in there kept an eye on your glass and were there to keep drinks flowing.
OUT & ABOUT: We had a wander down to the marina a few times for a change of scenery. It was lovely to sit sipping a beautiful mango margarita and watch the dolphins frolicking around.
We did the Coba Mayan village excursion booked through First Choice which was great value for money and although an early start, gave you the privelege of being at the ruins before all the big groups arrived. If you're mobile enough you should definitely climb the ruins whilst you still have the chance. The views are amazing, although my thighs were a little jellified for a couple of days after. The trip also included a real Mayan Village, Tequila tasting and a swim in a cenote.
We had friends staying in Cancun, so travelled up there to visit for the day. We found it very commercialised and were pleased that we had chosen the Riviera Maya as our base. Cancun is easy enough to do on the public busses and we went via Playa Del Carmen which enabled us to have a mosey round en route.
We took the collectivo on the highway down to Akumal to swim with the turtles. Just a tip on your return; it is better to walk back to the highway to catch a collectivo as the ones in Akumal can take a while to fill up before they set off (we had to wait around 25 minutes on a hot, sweaty little bus).
We also booked the First Choice 'all inclusive' bar crawl in Playa Del Carmen which included 2 hours at Coco Bongo's. I booked this with a little trepidation after seeing what happens on certain bar crawls, but it was a fantastic fun night without being too raucous. Lots of tequila flowing!There was a mix of age groups there and everyone seemed to enjoy it. It was also a good way to see Coco Bongo's if you didn't want spend the full night there.
We went to Tulum ourselves. We got a taxi there to save time, but got the collectivo back. Very easy to go on your own. We spent just over an hour looking round the ruins then had the afternoon on the beautiful beach. Great day out!

All in all I would not hesitate to stay at this hotel again and the only reasons I haven't given a score of 5 is because of some of the buffet food and the fact my requests were ignored.
My advice is DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!! Read the reviews. Ask the reviewers any questions you may have. There is no excuse not to be informed in this day and age other than laziness. If everyone did this they would know what to expect and you wouldn't have to read ridiculous reviews with people just having a moan. You also need to take in to account the price of this hotel compared to others. It is great value for money.
If you have booked....good for you....I am jealous.... You will have a fantastic time.!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Superguest
Dear Superguest,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Cheney, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

Cons-Don't accept US Dollars, shops at resort are PRICEY, the pools close way to early and the specialty restraunt reservation process is the pits. Pros-Pretty much everything else! Sure we had a few glitches when we first got there but the staff quickly resolved them happily. I don't know how anyone cold complain about the food, there's so much variety I don't think I ate the same thing twice for breakfast in 12 days! Plus there's always the omlettes in the morning and grill station at night! Drinks were plentifull and easily made stronger if you asked! Yes the beach is rocky but it's some great safe snorkeling and tons of fun! We were never bored,lots of options for things to do included in your resort package and plenty of sun to bask in! We didn't upgrade and we were happy with our room even if the bed wasn't the most comfy. The staff were super friendly and the grounds are beautifull.If you want a 5 star resort then go pay that price, I think this resort was a GREAT place for the price!! Our group of 4 friends ALL had a fabulous trip and would return to this resort again for sure!!!!

Room Tip: We were in 1127 on the ground floor near a pool, bar and beach. Sure there was a little noise at nig...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Dear pamwich,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your last stay with us.

It is great to know that you had a good time and enjoyed our facilities and services. We feel very proud of the impression you had from the hotel and our lovely country.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Choctaw, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014

We just returned from our 8th trip to this wonderful paradise. It once again exceeded our expectations. I don't have much to add from my previous reviews of this property. The staff is superb. The grounds are beautiful. The food was great. We had a wonderful time and can't wait to go back. Special thanks to Silvia and all of the staff. Met some new friends and reunited with old friends. I understand that everyone may not LOVE this place as much as we do but I assure you, everything you need is provided by a staff that is second to none and with a smile.

Room Tip: Look at your room before you check in. If there is something you don't like, find out what your...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank BigDaveOklahoma
Dear BigDaveOklahoma,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your 8thstay with us.

We feel very proud and glad to hear such nice comments from our repeat guests, It is great to know that you always have a good holiday with us and keep choosing us year after year.

We definitely hope to see you again soon, it will be our pleasure to welcome once again!

Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Very disappointing experience overall, not sure what the privileged package bought me as I had to leave the beach and stand in line by 4:15 everyday to snag a dinner spot at the speciality restaurants. In general the entire restaurant booking process was a gong show of mixed messages and was a frustration for all.The Privileged guests have a lovely beach area that has new lounges packed tightly together, it's own bar - very lovely but with average service, no bathroom near by and a oceanfront area that is rocky and near impossible to safely walk out into. If you are looking for the perfect get away and a resort that provides superior customer service making you feel pampered , I do not recommend you spend your money here.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank J m
catrivieramaya1, Director General at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, February 11, 2014
Dear J m,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience.

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I reviewed your comments and be sure that we are working to improve the system of the specilty restaurants, I regret the service was not as expected and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

Winnipeg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

On a good note a very clean resort! Bed has very uncomfortable! Room smelt musty! Same food day in day out. Not much entertainment. Booked an l la cart on Sunday for the steak night at 6 got there it was closed til 11 pm. ??? Beach is all rocks. They don't accept American money! Love riviera maya but will never return there again.

• Stayed February 2014
5 Thank Bonbon1955
Dear Bonbon1955,

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your last stay with us. We deeply apologize if your vacatiion with us was not a perfect experience, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

This was our 3rd. and probably last trip to the Catalonia Riviera Maya. I really think that this resort has been sold to a European company. The resort has always been and still is nice.
The few things I will mention are, If you are a smoker you will love this place as it seems that you can smoke anywhere now (there used to be designated areas).
This resort is now overcome with Europeans which all seem to all smoke on the beach, outside of the restaurants, and inside the bars, which makes it very uncomfortable for all the patrons that do not smoke.
Secondly they turn the air conditioning off in all rooms around midnight, which makes for a lousy sleep, we woke up every night, and then it was hard to fall back to sleep as it was way too hot in the rooms.

Hope this helps

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars
3 Thank Bob S
Dear Bob S,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your third stay with us was not a perfect experience. I would like to mention that the Hotel Catalonia is a spanish chain and this year our european market, as you mentioned, has increase.
Regarding the designated smoking areas we still have them and we do apologize if that policy has not been respected, we will make sure to reinforce it to make the stay of all our customers as enjoyable as posibble.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Catalonia Royal Tulum
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Tulum
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!