“Wonderful, Relaxing, and Pleasant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Mz. 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77782, Mexico   |
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
“Wonderful, Relaxing, and Pleasant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My friend and I came here in March of 2007 for spring break as college students, HOWEVER, we were looking for something that was NOT "spring breaky" as we really just wanted to unwind while still having the option of going nuts if we wanted. We could not have chosen a better place. First, the resort doesn't allow big groups of people for the specific reason of not wanting to be a party hotel during spring break, but it still attracted a wide range of people (couples, young to old, a few small groups of friends who were there to party, etc.) and we were happy to find that there is a separate side to the hotel for families.

Our room was great, it was kept really clean and we felt secluded yet close to the hotel ammenities. The pool was great, the drinks were great, and the food was great. We went to a few of the specialty restaurants which were quite nice and had really good food. The beach was also pretty great, with a nice lagoon to snorkel in. The water was crystal clear and turquoise blue, it was really nice swimming as the beach was protected by the lagoon. The entire time we were treated really well, the staff was friendly, and it was just a great place to spend a week in the sun.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (676)
  • Polish first
Snohomish, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My two sisters and I had a great girls getaway at the Catalonia Riviera Maya October 6 through the 13th. We had no “problems”, only a few very minor “disappointments”. Overall we had a great stay and would definitely come back. I only mention these things for your consideration, should they matter to you. The experience for the value paid is definitely worth every penny!

The very good:
The people were all very friendly and hospitable.

The beach and snorkeling were very good in our opinion. We didn’t care about “rocky” (we had swim shoes). We cared about the ocean view, the snorkeling, and the shells that washed ashore at low tide. We saw a big variety of fish, and also squid and stingrays. It was a great experience for my sister who had never snorkeled before. Easy in and out, calm, warm waters and lots of fish!

The resort was clean, landscaped beautifully, and small enough to find our way around easily and quickly. I have stayed at a larger resort that required a golf cart to get around and this was much more enjoyable.

The Creperie restaurant was wonderful and a selling point for me. I would have loved to go every night. We were given the good advice to go here before dinner. We really loved the Japanese, the Tapas and the Steakhouse restaurants.

The resort is located close (enough) to other areas of interest, such as the beautiful Xpu Ha beach and Akumal for snorkeling with the turtles and stingrays. I would like to thank the person that suggested stopping in at La Buena Vida restaurant for drinks with a great view on the walk between Akumal and Yal Ku.

We enjoyed the free bicycle rentals, the bicycle tour with Peta, and the nearby marina. We asked about the “secret beach” (had read about in these reviews) and Peta took us to the nearby Omni Hotel and pointed out a beautiful beach and view. The bicycle tour would have taken us there a few days later, so it seems the tours are not the same on each day. We came back later to snorkel there and saw turtles, along with other colorful fish different than those at the Catalonia.

Per other people’s suggestions we looked to book a boat tour at the nearby marina. We chatted with a nice fellow named Christopher, whose boat tours were not for us ladies (mostly fishing charters) but he offered his guide service another day exploring cenotes. It was a memorable day.

We only caught only one nightly show but it was outstanding entertainment and I hadn’t laughed so hard since I can’t remember when.

The resort has free kayaks and catamaran rides (for two) that were a bonus in booking at this hotel, but sadly we ran out of time to take advantage of it.

The room was very comfortable, other than the pull out sofa, which by its very nature is not going to be comfortable. A cot was provided upon request. The shower in the suite was spacious.

We used the “free” safe for our valuables, and it did fit a laptop computer as well as a few cameras.

The not so perfect:
The room was in the privileged section with a construction view, so it was not ideal. This may just be the luck of the draw, but I don’t think I would need to pay for the privileged room another time. Requested via email for a better room with double beds (no king) for a special birthday celebration, and it did appear to be slow season, but hey, we all can’t have the “best room”. Asked again upon check in.

The outdoor tub is useless, it only had about an inch of water after running the faucet for about 20 minutes, so we turned it off and didn’t try again.

The benefit of having a refrigerator stocked daily wasn’t really much of a benefit for us, it wasn’t actually stocked daily. We really only cared about the water, so ended up filling our own bottles most days like the “unprivileged” patrons.

We couldn’t find anything to tell us what restaurants were open and closed on what days, so we missed out on using one of our alacart restaurant tickets. We went to the front desk and they said to ask housekeeping for a weekly agenda that should have been in the room. We asked housekeeping, we just never received one. Couldn't the front desk have a few copies on hand?

The towel shack wasn’t open as early or as late as we would have liked. We took early morning snorkeling expeditions, and they weren’t open when we went out. Some nights we had wet towels that we couldn’t replace. One night the wet towels were removed from the room while out to dinner but not replaced until two days later. The resolution was to lay them out on a chair while snorkeling and they were usually dry when we returned, just not so fresh, so only a minor inconvenience to be aware of.

The buffets had a large variety of food, but I would have liked to have tortillas for breakfast. Did I just not see them? Also, would have liked more Mexican varieties than the Americanized varieties of food.

The house (free) wine was not good at all, IMO. We purchased our bottles of wine.

The free wi-fi was barely usable.

Room Tip: Our privileged suite (8317) in building 11 had a view of a construction project. Even with a not...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear shellykf,

We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.

It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.

Monmouth Junction, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

As many have indicated, I would go back to this resort. It is very very good - and excellent value for money. I was wary about the negative reviews - but found them to be mostly false. It is quite possible that the individual experiences were bad - but I found almost everything to be positive about this place. Very kid friendly place but couples will not feel out of place.

Self and family: Two of us with our 14 year old daughter and 12 year old son were desperate to go away after the (mostly) grueling academic year for the kids). It was the first real vacation of the year for us.

Airline: We use Travelocity to book an 'all-inclusive package' from JFK to Cancun. We got Jetblue and it was our first time with the airline. And boy oh boy - it is such a good airline! Leather seats, lots of leg room and cool interiors. The snacks and drinks were also welcome, as was the free checked-in suitcase. I had to keep telling my kids that JetBlue is the exception these days - but in the old days all airlines were like this!!

Airport to Hotel: Thanks to a tip from another person on Tripadvisor, we chose to use Exeltur to get us to the resort. For $130, we got a good van that took us (and only us) in superior airconditioned comfort to the resort. The return trip, likewise, was with just the 4 of us. It was comfortable and well worth the money. The only question would be if we had wanted to go to any places. One idea I had was to go to Tulum or ChichenItza - but the majority quickly prevailed and we settled for 4 days in the sun.

Check-in: This was easy. We got what we expected. There was some pressure to upgrade - but that was easily taken care of. They appeared to be quite full. The front-desk is 'outside' - i.e. not airconditioned. Thus you simply stand there and melt away very very slowly while the heat seeps into you. While waiting, we all got a multi-coloured drink that was sweet and that the kids just loved. A porter took our luggage to our room, explaining the sights along the way, the various restaurants, the snack bar and so on. When we got to the building with our room on the 4th floor, we found the dinky elevator at one end and were in our room

Room quality, location and view: Room number 4120. The room was cool airconditioned comfort. Throughout our stay the room was cool - no issues with cooling ever. However the humidity outside ensured that whenever you opened thee door, the tiled floor got moisture on it. However the thermostat definitely lied. No matter what we did, the temperature did not go below whatever it was at. We had two twin beds and it was sufficient for the 4 of us to sleep on. I am not small (210 lbs @ 5'11") and with my daughter being of nearly the same height - we could get some decent shut-eye. I can see some eyebrows being raised - who cares!

Food and drink: The big thing about all-inclusives is that they have unlimited excellent food and drink. Breakfast was always sumptuous with some form of egg along with some toast, cereal and coffee, juice and the occasional cake/muffin. There were no nuts to be seen, except for some nuts on a cookie. Be aware of those nuts. We also had loads of fruits including papaya whenever it was available. This was delicious and I drowned in papaya for each meal. My wife is a stricter vegetarian - and managed to get toast, cereal and stuff to keep herself full. Lunch was usually something to be picked up and had from the buffet. They had loads of dishes - but we stayed within the pasta domain and found it to be quite satisfying. I had salad on a couple of days, Some cheese hors d'oeuvres were par for the course. The desserts looked delicious - and were uniformly tasteless. This ensured that we didn't over-indulge :-) It usually eneded with some icecream and cookies - at least for me. Dinner - we got 3 coupons for our 4 night stay there. There are a few sit-down restaurants on site. A Mexican one (we hated it), an Italian one (liked it only on the second day), a Creperie (didn't go there), a Japanses restaurant (didn't go there) and a day-time snack bar that became a steak house at night (didn't go there either). As you can see, the vegetarian options are rather limited. Fortunately the buffet is still open and we were saved for the fourth night from starvation :-) The foods here almost uniformly didn't have any nuts in them - except for one of the dishes at the Mexican restaurant. As you can see, we didn't go there again. Did I say that the papayas (when they have them) are out of the world? I drank exactly 4 beers in small glasses during my stay there - which explains the near teetotaler comment in the title.

Beach: As many others have negatively commented, the beach is indeed rocky. However there are a few locations where you can slip over the rocks into the sandy area and the waters there are deliciously warm. The water is only a few feet deep and barely wets the thighs. You can go slightly deeper and see the fish swimming close by. We saw a school of fish and a couple of swordfish!We spent over an hour just feeling the water around us and seeing the fish swim around. What made it particularly nice is that there were rocks at the mouth of the inlet where we wading and the mouth stopped the real violence of the waves. What we got was calm waves that didn't submerge us in surf, allowing us to see the clean white sand at our feet.

Nature (other than beach): There are some birds in the resort that have the loudest voices! They wake you up at around 6AM and you get to see a beautiful sunrise. Thereafter, the birds keep up a barrage of sound - sometimes lapsing into uncharacteristic silence. Their whistling is phenomenal. And my guess is many people are going to be upset with them. They appear to be as ubiquitous as robins in spring in the north-east. Other than this, there were some locations on the beach that were fenced off. I thought there may be some kind of quicksand there. But a notice at one of them said they were turtle nesting sites!

People: The people at the resort are fantastic. I liked the way they were patient with us, they made our beds each day with some kind of towel art adorning the bed. The rooms were always clean and without exception, everyone always had a smile. without fail we were always greeted with a buenos dias!

Pools: We stayed in the area where we had two pools - a smaller one that was used for water basketball, and a larger one for just lazing. Every morning the scuba instructor or the snorkeling instructor would be there to teach his people how to. The water in the smaller ppol was spectacularly clean. BUt the larger pool left something to be desired. It needed to be vaccuumed - the bottom was not always easily visible. The larger pool had a swim-up bar that we used twice to get some virgin mango daiquiri. The only thing to be careful about is that the towel hut closes daily at 6PM local time (which maps to our central time). So if you misss that, the towel needs to be lugged back to your room and brought back the next day.

Climate: Warm to hot. We had thunderstorms on 2 out of the four evenings. A tropical depression also left its imprint with raging seas. BUt the weather was always balmy to hot. Most people used the bar - and the pools were almost always occupied.

Technology, Wifi connectivity etc: Not many power points. You should ttravel here with a small power strip so that your various devices can be charged. We had 7 devices for the 4 of us (our 2 iPhones, wife's work laptop, 2 work BBs and my kids 2 Samsung tablets - and were constantly battling over who gets the single plug point in the bathroom. The one in the bedroom itself was monopolised by my wife's work computer. AQll voltage is 110 - very US centric. WiFi connectivity is there for the asking. Just call the front desk and you will get the password to the Wifi access point. I waited two days before asking for this - so that we could remain unconnected to the outside world. Aaah!! Disconnected bliss!

Room Tip: Room review: Although the pressure is on to 'upgrade', we had taken the pool/ocean view and...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear indianrediff,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay in our hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya & Yucatan Beach, it is a pleasure to know that you and your family had a great time with us and you will keep a good memory of us and our lovely country.

We certanly hope you will decide to visit us again in the future!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Firstly... IGNORE the BAD reviews!!!

Me and my boyfriend stayed at the cat hotel Nov 22nd to Dec 6th 2012 (2 weeks) the only thing I can say is that it was absolutely amazing and beautiful the best holiday we have ever been on .... So much so that we are booking to go again same time this year!!!!
I was a little worried before we left as I had read some awful reviews on here ... now I know to just ignore them and see them as just moaning people that would obviously not be happy anywhere !!! The hotel is beautiful and the staff are insanely helpful.... nothing is too much and always smiling.... they are scrubbing and pruning the grounds within an inch of its life CONSTANTLY!!! We stayed in a STANDARD room on the Yucatan side which was perfect.... 2 massive comfy double beds, view of palm trees, pool and the sea was absolutely fab!!! The room was cleaned everyday with fresh towels and towel animals and fresh shampoos etc....it was beautiful!!!! The maids were fantastic!!
The reception staff were amazing and helped if we ever needed anything..... we were offered to upgrade but not pushed into it at all or thought of any less because we didn’t want one.... we got a safety dep box straight away and were helped with everything... amazing staff !!!
We were given 6 a’la carte vouchers for the 2 weeks which was great – we loved the steakhouse that much we ate here 5 times and the Mexican once. The main buffets were absolutely fine there was enough choice of food to keep anyone happy and the snack bar in the day was fab for burgers and chips as a little treat!! In every restaurant the staff always brought you drinks and cleaned away immediately ... it was incredible service!
It was my boyfriend’s birthday during the holiday and the hotel arranged for a cake and bottle of bubbly to be delivered to the room and a happy birthday banner which was lovely ... also in the steakhouse they brought out a cake and sang happy birthday during our meal ... they were fantastic.
You get free snorkelling and kakying everyday which was awesome and a must for anyone so much to see..... The sea is lovely and if you have swim shoes it does make it easier to just walk out and not worry.
The marina is a 5 minute walk from the hotel and a lovely place to go.... dolphins, sea lions, sting rays and much more to see... bars, restaurants and fishing trips... we went most nights for a wander round was lovely and because the hotel is in a gated secure complex there is no need to worry about safety.... the hotel and surroundings are very safe.
The pool areas were kept amazing clean and the bar staff were fab especially at the tequila bar.... they brought us drinks constantly and knew what we had ...... hellos and high fives every day.... was lovely made our holiday brilliant.......also the bar man in the chill out bar (Gerardo) was incredible.... so friendly and couldn’t do enough for you..... So much so we went the chill out bar every night of our holiday ...amazing!!!
Also a few musts if your here.... akumal beach to swim with turtles and sting rays ... amazing experience and the beach is beautiful..... Tulum and co-co bongos/cancun for a night out.
Thank you cat for an incredible holiday that we absolutely loved... we cannot wait to come back in 2013 and hopefully experience the same... I can’t see why we wouldn’t!!!

Room Tip: standard rooms are fine - ours was fab on teh yucanten side 4th floor :-)
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 30, 2012

Malton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Before i go through the negatives, here is two positives = the mini-club for the kids was excellent and our daughter loved it !!!, also the cleaning staff (the unsung heroes) also did their upmost to make our 2 star room look clean !!!!
Now the negatives, we arrived to a wecome drink and a bell boy to show us to our rooms, oh this hotel is going to be good or so we thought. Checking in we got the usual info and UPGRADE UPGRADE your room and you will get all extras. Oh sorry i thought this was a 4 star hotel (see photos)
Then the emphasis throught out our holiday was, upgrade and you get better service. We had to wait two days for a safety depoisit box ???? . Then under the rim on the pool was thick green slime, the shabby plastic drinking cups were dirty looking and smelt of stale water.
The standard rooms were below standard, and wanted a total refurbishment, there was a dead spider in a cobweb for all our stay, rusty hinges and the bath plug hole looked like it had been there for 20 years plus.
The food was edible but half the time was leftovers turned into something else for the next day which then just looked like mush !!!!!.
Then the morning we were leaving we rang for a bell boy twice because our room was faraway from reception, and no one came and we checked out just in time for the transfer coach, but then we didn't upgrade did we.
Would we return ? NO

Room Tip: Upgrade ? but why pay more for what you should get in a standard room anyway.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We deeply apologize if your stay with us was not a perfect experience

Starting with myself and all my colleagues and managers, we are disappointed to have not met your expectations during your stay with us.

I hear all your comments, and certainly we will take seriously your feedback and see possibilities to improve and make sure your next visit will exceed your expectations.

parksville B.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

I love Puerto Aventuras! I have stayed at the dreams across the bay, also and both had their selling points. The snorkeling here was a bit better I found, as they have a sheltered inlet. As per usual in this area, the staff and locals are all super friendly and willing to help. Make sure you take advantage of the creperie between second lunch and first dinner. Nothing beats an afternoon crepe & banana split. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, December 28, 2012

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

We arrived at midnight in a storm, the lobby was inviting. The staff was pleasant and accommodating on every level. We didnt have one bad meal or drink. There are plenty of activities,specially if the ocean isnt red flagged. Plenty of day excursions and the marina with dolphins and shops within 20 mins walking distance. Open bars, dancing, spas ($$$) and even an onsite doctor in case you need it.

Room Tip: There are plenty of rooms with good views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Hotel Manager

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!