“Don't understand the complaints!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Mz. 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77782, Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Don't understand the complaints!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

Genuinely have no idea what people are complaining about. Hotel is spotless, staff are great, grounds are gorgeous, marina full of dolphins, stingrays, sea lions and manatees only a 10 minute walk away as well. The grounds are large, a 'quiet' side and a more lively one so you get the best of both worlds.
We stayed around the quieter pool, but the entertainment team came around and asked us if we wanted to join in on table tennis tournaments etc so we never felt left out!
The buffet restaurants are more than satisfactory, always found something and I'm very fussy! Lots of fresh fruit and salad and a selection of meats and cheese as well as all the hot food and the ice cream and cakes! The food wasn't always red hot, but it usually isn't at a buffet and it was all pretty tasty most of the time!
Al la carte restaurants are all great, Mexican was probably our least favourite as it wasn't very Mexican and was just OK. Japanese is amazing! As is the Tapas one! Creperie is okay, milkshakes are amazing in there though, better than the crepes!
Snack bar is also good, though don't try and eat in there until bang on 11am, the staff are sticklers for timing haha.
Bar staff are hilarious, a tip gets you a long way. Also, of you ask for the premium spirits that are behind them ten they will give you them, otherwise you just get the cheap stuff! Cocktails vary in taste and strength depending on who makes them as nothing is measured, so some blow your head off! Haha it's all fun though.
As for trips. We did something called the 'Fat Cat' which was incredible. You go out to the coral reef on a catamaran, all inclusive beer and punch as well as a packed lunch for the way back, and you go snorkelling at the reef. We saw turtles, sting rays, pufferfish, everything! On the way back they do this 'Caribbean nappy' thing where basically you sit in your life jacket and jump on the sea (which is insanely warm!) and as you bob about they throw beer out to you, it's great fun! Staff are really funny and it's such a laugh! Definitely recommend!
We also went to Xcaret which is a huge Eco park, again recommended! Did a few of the Mayan ruins for culture too! Plenty to see and do anyway.
A few people have complained about the rocks in the sea, the beach stretches over 2 hotels as you have access to both. The Yucatan side is rocky and fairly difficult to get in, however the Catalonia side is fine and fairly shallow and FULL of fish. If you go further out though watch out for the sea urchins, there are loads of them and they hide well, nearly lost my foot a few times haha.
We didn't upgrade as so many people said to, as we dosnt see the point. Only ever in a room to shower and sleep so unless you plan on being in there for more than that, the standard rooms are fine. A little tired, maybe, but they are spotless and the TV has a few English Channel if you fancy an early night.
Overall, it's a great hotel, great price with plenty to do if you want to, and peace and quiet if you prefer that. Take some $1 bills as the staff work very hard and they appreciate it.
Would definitely go again, I can't really fault anything! The only thing I can suggest is that they install tea and coffee making facilities in the buffet restaurants as getting a hot drink from the waiters can be a task sometimes in the morning!

• Stayed November 2012
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Buriyngluck,

Thank you for writing such nice comments of our facilities and staff. We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know that you enjoyed your stay in Catalonia Riviera Maya & Yucatan beach as well as in Mexico.
We certanly hope you will decide to vist us again in the future, It will be our pleasure to serve you once again!

4,055 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (632)
  • Polish first
Whitehaven, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Been to This Hotel 3 YEAR AGO and would have given it a 9 OUT OF 10,This time a 8 OUT 10.Staff are VERY GOOD also food good but ALL veg in ALL THE A AL CARTE are cold.hotel does need a REVAMP BUT IT NEEDED THIS 3 YEAR AGO.If you go you must go to COCO BONGOS and pay for the VIP,we got it for £65. HOTEL 8/10 FOOD 7/10 ROOM 6/10 STAFF 9/10..............BONGOS 10/10

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Susan F,
We would like to thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us, being of the utmost importance for us and our main source to improve our facilities and service.
It's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.
It is also a pleasure to hear that the staff in the hotel made a difference to your stay.

Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This review is quite long but I think important for anyone travelling here to read to the end.

Me and my fiance travelled here for our first visit to Mexico and 2nd to the Caribbean. We're working people, not snobby but expect what we pay for. We arrived at the resort and were asked at the front desk would you like to upgrade before anything else. I replied by saying I haven't seen the room yet so no thanks. I thought this was a little odd but when i saw the room i understood why. We walked into our room and it smelt a little damp and the decor was very poor. We're not fussy people but this room was awful. The mirrors had mould and big black spots over them, the doors for the wardrobe where the safe was didn't open unless you lifted them and slid them. They were heavy, everytime my fiancee wanted something I had to open the door and I struggled. The patio looked at a brick wall which was at the back of the kitchens with the cooling fans blowing out hot air onto where we would sit and were very noisy. There was about 8 feet between our patio and the wall and no other view what so ever. The shower wasn't very good and if you wanted to have a bath instead the plug leaked and all the water went out of the bath within about 2 mins. There was huge bits of cracked plaster and bodged job electricals including a hairdryer in the bathroom which had its wires showing and was hanging loosely from the wall. We asked to hire a fridge and were told no standard rooms had them. We had requested a kingsize bed and we got a twin. 2 beds slightly bigger than a single. The beds however were comfy and when the doors were closed on the patio it was quiet so we decided not to be too fussy and stick with it. Deep down we felt that they wanted us in a rubbish room so we would pay the extra £200-300 to upgrade.

We went out for a look around and were pleasantly surprised by the resort. The first pool on the Catalonia side had a swim up bar and this was the pool where the entertainment was held. The pool was a decent size and bar was small but efficient service, but a bit too noisy for us. There was a smaller pool a few meters away with a net for water polo/volleyball etc.
There was also another pool on the Yucatan beach side of the hotel (sister hotel that you can share all restaurants, facilities with) this pool was bigger and was where we spent our time. It was quieter and also had a swim up bar which had the best barman in the hotel, Nazario. This guy was a legend, good fun, efficient on the bar and a genuine lovely guy. All the staff on this bar including Jeremiah amongst others were fantastic.

The Catalonia side of the hotel was nice looking with thatched roofing on all buildings and a nice lobby with a wooden walkway over a small water feature. There were some shops, ATM, burea de change, excursion desks and taxi pick up point. The privelledged rooms (upgraded) were on this side of the hotel near the gym and spa and from what we were told were nice but not really worth the money.
The Yucatan side looked similar but nicer and more tranquil.

The restaurants were good and had a decent selection. The main buffet was next to the noisy pool and offered something for everyone. Breakfast was very same same but there was plenty of choice to alternate what similar things you were having and not get too bored. Service at seating you could at times be a bit slow. Lunch and dinner times varied from really good (Chinese night) to avergae or just below (Mexican night). I love Mexican food but the things we have in England are rich and spicy, here they were bland and tasteless.
There were Al a Carte restaurants including Mexican, Italian, Japanese, Creperie, Steak house and Tapas. We didn't try the Mexican due to our attempts in the buffet failing and other guests saying it was disappointing. The Italian wasn't great, I eat a lot of Italian in England and I felt that it was bland and I enjoyed the starter more than the main. The Japanese was a good experience, fried rice, shrimp, chicken, sushi and an entertaining chef doing the flippin and choppin. Nice bar and great atmosphere. The creperie was delicious and became our favoured desert destination or pit stop for a fantastic shake or coffee. The tapas restaurant was lovely and presented well, some different selections but all very tasty and we had multiple visits here. The best for us though was the steak house which in the daytime is the burger bar next to the noisy pool and after hours is a late stop bar for munchies after midnight, but in the evening was a lovely al a carte serving t bone, fillet and sirloin steaks, grilled fish and pork etc. The fillet was one of the best steaks i've had, melt in your mouth and the service was great in here too. As with all al a cartes you had to arrive quite early to be seated as was first come first serve basis and with our Thomas Cook booking we had 3 tokens per week to visit them.

The grounds and the beach were kept very clean and were quite big to explore many different areas. There were good amenities including tennis court on the roof, 5 a side football pitch, archery area, bike shed (bikes free to hire and can go on bike ride with animation team around the town) sports bar (not manned until 3pm, but if you speak to animation day before they will let you in to watch football etc as due to time difference from UK it's on early), disco/nightclub (this was quite like a proper little club and we went once and it was good, drinks on your all inc). There was free pool/billiards, a golf simulator, free non motorised water sports on the beach including snorkel equipment, catamaran rides, kayak hire and diving lesson in the pool. If you pay extra there's diving courses/trips. The beach was quite nice and the sea gorgeous but you have to walk in on the left side of the beach facing the sea otherwise very rocky with coral. There's also a small lagoon area that you can kayak in and it goes all the way around a small village like community on the waterside. There is also a chill out bar which was very good and is right on the quieter side of the beach on the Yucatan side. Whilst there we were sitting having a drink and a giant turtle came out of the sea and laid her eggs next to us and went back to the sea.
There was also a theatre with a show on virtually every night. They weren't bad despite shows not really being my thing, we watched the lion king. They had fright nights and lots of choice with a quite professional production. Certainly better than most hotels i'd seen shows in.

All in all the resort was good for the money, was certainly not more than a 4 star resort and although i've stayed in better looking resorts had lots to offer, good food choices and pretty good entertainment. Most of the staff we encountered were nice and helpful and Nazario was a diamond. Our problems kicked off when I realized i'd had things taken from the room. I wore my football shirt on the plane over and put it into the wardrobe ready for the match v Man City at the weekend. I went to get it and it wasn't there, I asked my fiance had she moved it and no. We looked everywhere and it had gone along with another sports vest. We informed the front desk and were asked to stay in the room and security would be down in 5 mins. We waited well over an hour and nobody came. Fed up my fiance went to the desk and complained. She didn't get an apology, just told security had been and noone answered. She was then asked to go and wait again and she said no, I've reported it and wasted some of my day already. We were informed they would do a check of who'd been in our room and let us know by monday. This with the fact that our room was way below par was the final straw and the concierge girl asked us if we wanted to move rooms. We got moved to the Yucatan side and the room was clean, great pool and partial sea view, no mould or damp, plaster intact and everything worked. We noticed there was a fridge and despite being told no standard rooms had fridges this one did.
It'd become a case of principle more than a couple of footy shirts as we still hadn't recieved any apology or acknowledgement of what had happened and the concierge girl seemed a bit begrudging to move us like we were complaining over nothing.

Monday came and went and noone contacted us. We went back to the front desk and were told that because we refused security into our room no search had been done. We couldn't believe it, we knew it was just a couple of shirts but it was the fact that somebody must've routed through our stuff in the wardrobe to get them. We locked everything else in the safe that was valuable and i said to the woman should I put my clothes in the safe then? My fiance said to the concierge girl (different from one who moved us rooms) we paid nearly £2000 to come here and at the least I expect my things to be safe and if there's a problem for someone to try and help us with it, to which the girl replied "you didn't pay me £2000 did you". We stood there in disbelief. We asked to see her manager and she said they're busy, we asked to see the general manager and were told no and then she refused to talk to us and said because we were rude to her she would only talk to our Thomas Cook rep. My fiance nearly punched her but we walked away and spoke to our rep who said she would sort it out the day after tomorrow for us as it was her day off. We booked an excursion with the rep and went to the pool. We sat there and worked out that we'd been over charged by approx £30 for the excursion as we paid in pesos but it was priced in dollars. 2 days later we went to see the rep to find out about our complaint with the theft and she hadn't done it. She said leave it with her and she'd get it done and we told her about her over charging us. She said bring the receipt tomorrow and she'll sort it out. I went back the next day and she didn't turn up. She was on in the folder to be working that day. The following day my fiance went and she was there, she argued with my fiance that she was sure she hadn't overcharged us and eventually said I might've charged you for the wrong day out. She agreed to give us £25 back and gave the remark of I hope you're right otherwise it's gonna be a hard weekend for me isn't it. My fiance stood in disbelief again and the rep then said the hotel have said they can't track who was in your room but wil send a bottle of sparkling wine to your room. My fiance told me this and I replied we're going home tomorrow and staying in an all inclusive resort where you can get wine anytime of the day. There had still been no apology and the rep trying to rip us off and then giving us grief for asking for it back was the icing on the cake.

Needless to say the wine never turned up anyway.

We had a great holiday in regards to the people we met and excursions we did, including some of the loveliest staff i've met, but due to this service or lack of it and the fact that noone from the hotel seemed to care that their guests suffered theft was worrying. We weren't the only ones, out of about 6 couples we met there 3 had things stolen, one of them had a camera stolen, one a watch and one a football shirt also. Just look back at some of the reviews and see for yourself the others who have had this happen. For these reasons I will never return to the Catalonia and wish to send regards to all the lovely staff who treated us so well whilst there. It's a shame your management doesn't work with the same dedication as you guys and this problem would be irradicated.

Room Tip: Yucatan rooms are better than the 2 star or less that we had on the Catalonia side.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Stroud, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

this is a very clean and well presented hotel the people are very plesent and welcomeing you have plenty of resteraunts to choose from and plenty of places to relax and the enrertanmet is great at night....but a bit to much around the pool by the beach....at night you must vist the tequila bar and meet luis the bar man.....and his side kick jhose you could not find a better pair to serve you you will not have to waite for your drink...allso little gwadaloope the waitress a loveley warm outgoing girl..........but on the down side if you dont get on with the germans and the russians well make up your own mind they are thear on mass...mexico is a lovely country make shure you visit talum the mian city...all in all a very good hotel we came back on the 15/11/2012

Room Tip: all rooms are very good
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear John W,

Thank you for writing your comments about your recent stay with us, It is a pleasure to know that you had a good time in the hotel and you will keep a good memory of our facilities and the staff, I will let Luis, José and Guadalupe know about your opinion of the service they gave you, I am sure they are going to be very proud.

We hope you will decide to visit us again in the future to give us another chance not only to comply with, but to exceed your highest expectations.

Sincerely
Lockport, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We visited this resort in August of 2011, I just never wrote a review. This was a resort that I can not forget and now I always compare it to the other places I go. Recently I even chose an another Catalonia Resort but in Punta Cana thinking that it may be as good as this one, but...this one still is the best for me; the main reason being the entertainment crew. They were trying to make your stay as enjoyable as possible; starting in the morning by the pool with different crazy games, dance lessons, sport games and ending in the evening on stage making shows, improvizing. A big THANK YOU to the entertainment team. I hoppe to be back soon.
The only down side of this resort was a rocky beach.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Vaida C,

We would like to thank you for your comments about your stay with us. We all are deeply glad that after one year you still keep a good memory of our hotel and the staff. I will let all the entertainment staff know that they made your stay more memorable.
Regarding the rocky beach, it is a small reef that we have on the beach of the hotel, and hopefully if you decide to visit us again in the future, we will kindly invite to snorkel here and enjoy the amazing variety of fish that the Mexican Caribbean offers.

It will be a pleasure for us to receive you again in the near future so we will have another opportunity to pamper you and exceed your expectations.
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Our 9th stay here!! As usual, resort is spotless, food is excellent, rooms are pristine! Waitstaff and bartenders, especially Manuele at the Tequila Bar and Gerardo at the Pure Chill Out Bar, are superb. This is one of the premier resorts in the Riviera Maya, run by a fantastic and professional General Manager. Don' t hesitate, book a trip to this resort at once!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
catrivieramaya1, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Carlitos5150,
Thank you so mucho for such nice comments! It is fantastic to have loyal clients that come every year to the resort and they feel like home, making new friends and visiting the old ones.
We hope to see you and serve you again in the future for another lovely experience.
washington Township, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Just got back from this resort. We had a wonderful vacation.
Place was superb, grounds, staff, room and lots of smiles.
Flew into Cancun, about a 50-60 minute drive, depending on the stops.
We arrived and was greeted with much warmth. Juan showed us all around while going to our room. I had upgraded our room, got a suite, when I made the reservation so we stayed in the privilged area. The room had a nice deep tub on the patio, slippers and robe, wifi, special seating at meals too. The shower was to die for, could have stayed in there all day. It was a rainshower coming from the ceiling, awesome.
Drinks were good and the quality was good too.
Went to the specialty restaurants they were good too. Some were incle
At night there was not much to do, shows were boring but we were fine just walking around and early to bed. Sun and sea can wipe you out.
Bed was very comfortable and you can order the type of pillow you want too.
The poolside activities were great as are the counselors they get you moving and have fun.
Shopping was not good there, so saved money.
People were very friendly, pools were extremely clean, beach water was beautiful.
Entering the water was tricky, because of the rocks, but there is path to enter and if you use that till up to your knee then you can go across and just enjoy.
Say hi to Thelma she is on the beach and does a very good job or making sure you don't get thirsty and offers suggestions of alcoholic and non drinks.
If you go enjoy the peacefulness and stress free time.

Room Tip: Privlidge all the way, quiet don't stop for timeshare at the airport
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jog03
Thank you for writing you opinion about your recent stay with us, it's a pleasure to know that you had a good time with us and you will keep a good memory of Mexico and our Hotel.
Hotel Manager

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!