Genuinely have no idea what people are complaining about. Hotel is spotless, staff are great, grounds are gorgeous, marina full of dolphins, stingrays, sea lions and manatees only a 10 minute walk away as well. The grounds are large, a 'quiet' side and a more lively one so you get the best of both worlds.
We stayed around the quieter pool, but the entertainment team came around and asked us if we wanted to join in on table tennis tournaments etc so we never felt left out!
The buffet restaurants are more than satisfactory, always found something and I'm very fussy! Lots of fresh fruit and salad and a selection of meats and cheese as well as all the hot food and the ice cream and cakes! The food wasn't always red hot, but it usually isn't at a buffet and it was all pretty tasty most of the time!
Al la carte restaurants are all great, Mexican was probably our least favourite as it wasn't very Mexican and was just OK. Japanese is amazing! As is the Tapas one! Creperie is okay, milkshakes are amazing in there though, better than the crepes!
Snack bar is also good, though don't try and eat in there until bang on 11am, the staff are sticklers for timing haha.
Bar staff are hilarious, a tip gets you a long way. Also, of you ask for the premium spirits that are behind them ten they will give you them, otherwise you just get the cheap stuff! Cocktails vary in taste and strength depending on who makes them as nothing is measured, so some blow your head off! Haha it's all fun though.
As for trips. We did something called the 'Fat Cat' which was incredible. You go out to the coral reef on a catamaran, all inclusive beer and punch as well as a packed lunch for the way back, and you go snorkelling at the reef. We saw turtles, sting rays, pufferfish, everything! On the way back they do this 'Caribbean nappy' thing where basically you sit in your life jacket and jump on the sea (which is insanely warm!) and as you bob about they throw beer out to you, it's great fun! Staff are really funny and it's such a laugh! Definitely recommend!
We also went to Xcaret which is a huge Eco park, again recommended! Did a few of the Mayan ruins for culture too! Plenty to see and do anyway.
A few people have complained about the rocks in the sea, the beach stretches over 2 hotels as you have access to both. The Yucatan side is rocky and fairly difficult to get in, however the Catalonia side is fine and fairly shallow and FULL of fish. If you go further out though watch out for the sea urchins, there are loads of them and they hide well, nearly lost my foot a few times haha.
We didn't upgrade as so many people said to, as we dosnt see the point. Only ever in a room to shower and sleep so unless you plan on being in there for more than that, the standard rooms are fine. A little tired, maybe, but they are spotless and the TV has a few English Channel if you fancy an early night.
Overall, it's a great hotel, great price with plenty to do if you want to, and peace and quiet if you prefer that. Take some $1 bills as the staff work very hard and they appreciate it.
Would definitely go again, I can't really fault anything! The only thing I can suggest is that they install tea and coffee making facilities in the buffet restaurants as getting a hot drink from the waiters can be a task sometimes in the morning!
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Yucatan
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Puerto Aventuras
- Catalonia Hotel Mexico
- Catalonia Yucatan Beach
- Catalonia Rivera Maya
- Riviera Maya Catalonia
- Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Riveria Maya
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Riviera Maya is situated in the peaceful ambience of Puerto Aventuras, located directly on the beach of the beautiful Mexican Caribbean and in the heart of the Mayan Riviera. The white sandy beaches, crystal clear water, a great marina with restaurants and bars at a walking distance as well as a 9 hole golf course makes Puerto Aventuras a place that stands out, a place for those looking for the authentic Caribbean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, Venere, Olotels, Otel, Priceline, HotelsClick and Tingo so you can book your Catalonia Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.