My husband and I always do a lot of research before we book and understand that all reviews (including my own) are subjective, however, when reading some of these reviews I keep thinking I must have been at a different resort. It is true that the grounds are beautiful and are constantly being tended to. The main feeling we got from the staff was that they were too busy doing "their jobs" to be friendly and take care of the guests. We are not the types of people that sit around snapping our fingers for the waiters to bring us drinks, howevere it would have been nice if just ONCE someone had asked if we wanted one. The only time you saw someone floating around the pool or beach chairs was to pick up glasses in a big plastic bag.
The buffet was expansive but the food was cold and bland. I always had the feeling I was in a High school cafateria which is not what I am looking for at a "Spa/ Resort". The 3 al a carte resturants we were permitted to eat at were good (the Japanes in particular). On my first morning there I went to the buffet (6:30am) to get coffee only to be informed that I needed to go to the lobby for coffee---I'm sorry but in a resort this size and with something as simple as Coffee stations it seems to me that there could have been several set up in convenient places around the resort. I have always believed it is the little "touches" that set places apart. And certain things are really "cheesy' like having to pay extra for a safety deposit box! and only being given one bottle of water (not apiece---just one) and being told that you then needed to take it and refill it at the buffett or buy more at the gift shop--I mean really?? It was very difficult to find anyone that spoke very much english-- even the people at the main check in desk seemed to struggle not to mention they always seemed too busy with their paper work to bother with whatever you were having problems with.
We always bring extra money to tip and usually would tip at each meal or whenever we ordered a drink but honestly-- it was almost impossible to find someone to tip. No one took the time to notice you long enough to take the tip we were attempting to give them- we finally got tired of woking so hard to give them money.
Both times I had to go make reservations for the al a carte dinners the young lady was over 10 minutes late just showing up, then she took another 5 minutes setting up her area while there was a line of probably 10 people waiting on her. It was during this time I found out that I was only one of many people who were not happy with the food or the (lack of)service. I have never considered my self a pickey or demanding person but I do feel that the terms "spa and resort conotate certain things. I did not book rooms in a hotel and expect personal resort amenities. The rooms were large and well air conditioned however the silver was coming off of all the mirrors and the walls all needed a second coat of paint (you could see the white paint through the terra cotta). The place just felt out dated at tired. But the outside was pretty!! Another down fall to this resort is that it is far from everything. It is located in a gated community which makes it difficult to walk around and explore anything, we literally felt trapped at the resort unless we wanted to pay $22 each way to go into Playa del Carmen! We will continue our search to find another resort we love as much as the Golden Crown paradise in Puerto Vallarta!! I know there is one out there somehwere.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Riviera Maya is situated in the peaceful ambience of Puerto Aventuras, located directly on the beach of the beautiful Mexican Caribbean and in the heart of the Mayan Riviera. The white sandy beaches, crystal clear water, a great marina with restaurants and bars at a walking distance as well as a 9 hole golf course makes Puerto Aventuras a place that stands out, a place for those looking for the authentic Caribbean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Catalonia Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Puerto Aventuras, Mexico
- Catalonia Hotel Mexico
- Catalonia Rivera Maya
- Riviera Maya Catalonia
- Hotel Catalonia Riviera Maya
- Catalonia Riveria Maya
- Catalonia Riviera Maya Resort
- Catalonia Riviera Maya All Inclusive
- Catalonia Mexico