“Maybe it's just me but I doubt it” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Catalonia Riviera Maya

Save Saved
You added Catalonia Riviera Maya to your Saves list
Catalonia Riviera Maya
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Avenida Xcacel Lote 1 Plano 2 Mz. 18 | Solidaridad, Puerto Aventuras 77782, Mexico   |
Ranked #11 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Sedalia, Missouri
“Maybe it's just me but I doubt it”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

My husband and I always do a lot of research before we book and understand that all reviews (including my own) are subjective, however, when reading some of these reviews I keep thinking I must have been at a different resort. It is true that the grounds are beautiful and are constantly being tended to. The main feeling we got from the staff was that they were too busy doing "their jobs" to be friendly and take care of the guests. We are not the types of people that sit around snapping our fingers for the waiters to bring us drinks, howevere it would have been nice if just ONCE someone had asked if we wanted one. The only time you saw someone floating around the pool or beach chairs was to pick up glasses in a big plastic bag.
The buffet was expansive but the food was cold and bland. I always had the feeling I was in a High school cafateria which is not what I am looking for at a "Spa/ Resort". The 3 al a carte resturants we were permitted to eat at were good (the Japanes in particular). On my first morning there I went to the buffet (6:30am) to get coffee only to be informed that I needed to go to the lobby for coffee---I'm sorry but in a resort this size and with something as simple as Coffee stations it seems to me that there could have been several set up in convenient places around the resort. I have always believed it is the little "touches" that set places apart. And certain things are really "cheesy' like having to pay extra for a safety deposit box! and only being given one bottle of water (not apiece---just one) and being told that you then needed to take it and refill it at the buffett or buy more at the gift shop--I mean really?? It was very difficult to find anyone that spoke very much english-- even the people at the main check in desk seemed to struggle not to mention they always seemed too busy with their paper work to bother with whatever you were having problems with.
We always bring extra money to tip and usually would tip at each meal or whenever we ordered a drink but honestly-- it was almost impossible to find someone to tip. No one took the time to notice you long enough to take the tip we were attempting to give them- we finally got tired of woking so hard to give them money.
Both times I had to go make reservations for the al a carte dinners the young lady was over 10 minutes late just showing up, then she took another 5 minutes setting up her area while there was a line of probably 10 people waiting on her. It was during this time I found out that I was only one of many people who were not happy with the food or the (lack of)service. I have never considered my self a pickey or demanding person but I do feel that the terms "spa and resort conotate certain things. I did not book rooms in a hotel and expect personal resort amenities. The rooms were large and well air conditioned however the silver was coming off of all the mirrors and the walls all needed a second coat of paint (you could see the white paint through the terra cotta). The place just felt out dated at tired. But the outside was pretty!! Another down fall to this resort is that it is far from everything. It is located in a gated community which makes it difficult to walk around and explore anything, we literally felt trapped at the resort unless we wanted to pay $22 each way to go into Playa del Carmen! We will continue our search to find another resort we love as much as the Golden Crown paradise in Puerto Vallarta!! I know there is one out there somehwere.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
cataloniarivieramaya, General Manager at Catalonia Riviera Maya, responded to this review, May 11, 2011
Dear valued guest,

I thank you for your letter as it will help you a lot to make improvements in the hotel facilities and service as well. Be sure that I will take care of everything you mentioned.

Concerning the service provided, I apologize if the attitude you perceived was not the Catalonia spirit as this is not the way we perform.

I kindly ask you for another opportunity to only cover but exceed your expectations and make you feel pampered in all ways.

4,066 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Polish first
Peterborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

Just got back from 11 days at the Catalonia Riviera Maya courtesy of Thomson.

This is a hidden gem of a hotel even though it is still 4 star.

After a long drive to and a long flight from Manchester, Thomson staff were efficient at getting you quickly to your bus. Cannot complain about the 1 hour and 20 minute transfer time as we expected it and it gets you from A to B.

Hotel itself is located in the sleepy port of Puerto Adventuras. On arrival at the hotel we were given refreshing drinks and then checked in. We chose to upgrade to a Priviledge suite which worked out to extra £200 for both of us for the 11 days, after the bell boy showed us a standard room, honeymoon suite and priviledge suite. Just ask to view the different rooms and they will show you and then you can make up your own mind on what room you want.

ROOM

Benefits of Priviledge room - Sea view (in our case), Flatscreen TV, Minibar, Large Walk in Shower, Pillow Menu, Honey in the evening before you went to sleep, WIFI and access to the Priviledge reception which had a computer that you could use to get on the internet - email home and go on Facebook if youre sad enough to while on holiday lol

Room was perfect as we upgraded, standard room looked fine but cant comment on those.

STAFF

One thing I MUST stress is that all the staff in the hotel couldnt be more helpful or friendlier, none of them expected tips however we did tip when we felt some went out of their way to help us; like the bell boy showing us all the different rooms upon arrival. Enterntainment staff are full of energy and change their activities daily so you dont get repetition.

BEACH

I think was man made in places where they had covered the existing coral in sand. Where it is sandy the beach is gorgeous, walk to the left and there are some stepping stones that go across to the breakwater. Around these stepping stones many tropical fish live, so we used to take a burger bun from lunch and feed the fish on occasions, quite tame and they will come right up to you and eat out of your hand, great photo opportunites to be had.

Water is crystal clear and cannot find fault with anything beach wise. Although im sure some person on here will complain about something! lol

FOOD

We ate in all the speciality restaurants; Japanese, Italian, Steakhouse, Mexican and Spanish Tapas, all good and worth a try. Wont go into detail on these as some have surprises like the Japanese restaurant where 12 of you sit round a hot plate while the chef cooks and juggles with the utensils in front of you!

General buffet restaurants were good with a wide selection of food that change from day to day.

POOL

One large pool and one pool bar on the Catalonia side. Only complaint here is some young children (mainly Mexican) splashing in the pool bar where all the adults were drinking. Just tell them to go away or splash them back and they soon get the message as their parents didnt seem to bothered.

Staff at pool bar very friendly and you dont have to wait long for a drink even when it got busier in the afternoons.

One of the highlights for us and the two other couples we were with was people watching in the afternoon, when some people got a bit typsy and were doing funny things around the pool area.

I see some people on here were moaning about different nationalities; I wont get into a slagging match on here but I think each nationality was guilty at some point of making to much noise around the pool area/beach (mainly due to alcohol).

We made friends with many English, American and Canadians that were staying at the hotel. There were also Spanish, Mexicans and a few Dutch. It doesnt bother us but some people may like to know there weren't any Germans staying at the hotel lol

GYM

Only went a few times but is very modern with new equipment, great for a work out but was busiest in the mornings.

PUERTO ADVENTURAS

Dolphins are 10 minute walk away in the Marina and you can swim with them for an hour for $99, or just sit in one of the marina bars and watch them for free. We did both the swim and watching.

THOMSON REP (CARLOS)

Carlos is Mexican and very friendly and knowledgeable, hes there everyday 9-12 midday except Tuesday is his day off.

SUMMARY

We had a great relaxing time at the hotel and enjoyed ourselves, probably even more so with the room upgrade. No complaints at all, and I would hope that most people reading reviews about the Hotel will understand that people only complain when something bad happened to them, so for people to say this is a bad hotel is rubbish.

Hidden gem, great value for money, and if you're from England like us upgrade your room on arrival. We talked to some Americans and Canadians and they could book these rooms from their own country, Thomson dont offer the upgraded rooms, so just ask on arrival.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a Priviledge room
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear valued guest,

I would like to start by saying thank you for all your detailed letter. I realized you are a very observant and organized person.

Thank you so much for such nice comments, I will extend them to the rest of the hotel staff so they can feel proud of their jobs and the omportant place each once have in Catalonia Hotels.

It will be a real pleausure to have you again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2011

Just back from the Cat, and had a great time. Traveled with 3 that had never been out of the country and 2, like myself, that had been there before. Arrived and upgraded to a suite, $25 pp/pd and it was well worth it. in room 8210, second floor about the middle. Great location, close to everything. Housekeeping was timely and did an outstanding job. Plenty of water, soda and beer restocked everyday. Beds were more comfy than I remembered from previous trips. Enjoyed the balcony in the mornings and evenings.

The Staff was excellent, never in the way, but always vigilent in catering to any needs. The most amazing thing is that they all seamed very happy with their jobs. I even heard waiters singing as they set tables. Bartenders were prompt and helpful. Even the grounds keepers were smiling as they worked.

The worst thing was the internet/wifi availability. The wireless wifi was painfully slow, and the internet cafe was ususally busy with only 1 terminal for guest use.

The specialty restaurants were all very good. We did Japanese, tapas, and Steakhouse. The food was above well average, although still behind a comparable restaurant in the States.The Mexican Night Buffet (Wednesday) was a little disapointing as the food was plentiful, with a large selection, but all pretty average, with nothing that one could call outstanding. The Creperie was awsome, as the evenings were beautiful and dessert was perfect. Check in- check out was seamless and very organized. It took about 10-15 mins to check in ( because of the upgrade), and about 3 mins to check out.. The bellmen were very prompt, with the only glitch getting a cab to PDC on Tuesday morning. I had gone up an hour early to get a van as there were 6 people going together, and upon return, we had to wait about 20 mins to get a van. No big deal, just went early to insure we didn't have to wait and a little dissapointed. Shopping was good, and the vendors that came into the hotel on Monday and Thursday had good prices if you haggled a little.

The worst part of the entire trip was Airport Security both in Cancun and Houston, but given the Bin Laden issues, I suppose I am happy they were being so careful. We just almost missed our connecting flight in Houston because of the screening.

All in All the Cat was teriffic, they have smothed out many of the glitches experienced in the past, and did an outstanding job. It's not the most romantic place, nor the most amenities, but I thought it to be a great value, and a clean, safe, and very comfortable place to stay.I'll be back for a 6th visit in a year or two.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Dear valued guest,

I would like to deeply thank you on behalf of all the Catalonia Hotels employees for such nice comments.

Your comments make us feel so proud of our jobs and motivate us to improve everyday in order to offer our clients the best service ever.

We all will be more than happy to receive you again in your 6th visit.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

The best thing about this place other than the gorgeous location was the service, everyone was very friendly and pleased to help, everyone speaks perfect English as well as Spanish which is just as well as my Spanish is terrible!

The only bad point is that the beds are slightly uncomfortable but i always find this with hotels so i assume i am overly fussy.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

Best trip ever. Very nice hotel, well kept grounds and the staff was friendly and helpful. The food in the buffets was great. Not as impressed with the restarauants. The food was average at best and the steak house steaks were tough. The beach was awesome and the weather a perfect 85 and sunny the whole week. Hope to go back next year.

Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

My husband and I booked this about 3 weeks before leaving. We booked a basic room, cause it was a great price. For what we were paying we did not have a lot of expectations. At check in, my husband wanted to know where our room was, saw it was at the back of the resort and we promptly upgraded. Grace at the front desk was very helpfull, considering two busloads of Canadians had just checked in! She sent us off with a bellboy to check out a couple of rooms and we booked the second one we saw. We felt is was worth going to the privileged room as it had a coffee maker/fridge/iron and ironing board as well as free WIFI.
This is a very well run resort with very pleasant staff who are extremely helpfull. One night after the money exchange had closed I relized I was out of tip money and the night clerk immediately called over a bellboy and got it changed for me. In the daytime you can use the money exchange, it is right below the Mayan lobby, and a few steps from it is a nice boutique store. Go a little further to the right and you will find an ATM machine. Go right around the corner and there are a couple of computers in a room for the Privileged members to use, free of charge. Keep walkig to the right and you will come to the Japanese Restaurant. If you go up the stairs and follow the pathway to the right, you will come to the spa/gym/salon. We booked a couples massage as they had a special on, and used our credit card to pay as we are Canadian and it was cheaper that way. When you leave the spa, just follow the pathway, keep right, go up the steps and you will be in the lobby of the entertainment bar. In this area is also where the photographer is($) and the theatre. To the left of the entertainment bar are more steps, follow it and go down the walkway and you are back at the Mayan Lobby. As for the A la Carte's, we simply waited until Sunday morning, went to the Chillout bar on the beach in the front of the Yucatan side, sat in the chairs, moving up the line as people book and leave and then quickly it will be your turn. The food was amazing in everyone we went too. People don't dress up very much though, and long pants didn't seem mandatory. The nice part of this resort is most of the a la cartes are seperate restaurants, three of them are up the stairs behind the Margarita Bar (there is also a ramp a little further along, but no signage) as well as the crepe restaurant. There is also a nice lounge in between the Italian and Mexican restaurant where I consumed a few awesome strawberry daiquiris! If a la cartes are not your thing the three buffets are full of great food. The beach buffet/bar is the only restaurant that you do not need shoes and shirts for. This restaurant is also closed at night as it transforms into the steak house. Other quests told us that it re-opens after 11pm until 2am for snacks, but as I didn't see this I can't confirm it. We only visited the sports bar once, off the lobby of the Yucatan side, as it had no A/C and was too hot to be watching playoff hockey! Our only complaint was the amount of children at the pool bar. As my husband says, how may people take their young children to a bar at home, so why do they do it at the resort? With the amount of drinking, smoking and just plain adult talk at this bar area, children should not be hanging around this area. With five other pools this should not have been a problem. But on the whole, we loved this resort, it is extremely clean, with amazing hardworking people and great food Just a note, make sure you check out before trying to board the bus, as they won't let you on without your checkout stub!

Room Tip: Upgrade to Privileged!
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

We took a superior room, and the room was really nice. The hotel is small, so everything is close by, which is also nice. The cocktails are awful (do not go there for the cocktails) but the food is really good. You have to book for the restaurants in the morning which takes away a bit of the flexibility. The area is very quiet, though there are some restaurants and a marina within walking distance. On the negative side, you have to take a taxi to go anywhere, or walk aprox 2km to get to the motorway and there take the colectivo (kind of minibus) to Playa del Carmen, Tulum, etc. (there used to be a shuttle, but not anymore). Do not feel forced to take the excursions they offer (a bit overpriced). Ask in the reception how to arrive to the places by colectivo; they are extremely helpful. We asked in the reception to post some postcards but they never arrived. WIFI does not really work.

Room Tip: Upper floor (to avoid being seen from garden)
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Catalonia Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!