“Lovely Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

Save Saved
You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up to 32% Off + Credit
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

This is a great hotel, where you only have to ask and they will try to accommodate your wishes. The staff are all super friendly, and try their best to please.
We booked a swim-up suite, and as we had family travelling with us, we emailed in advance asking if they could be given a room close by. When we arrived they had given them the room above us, and put us at the end of the block so that they could come downstairs and nip around the side of the building to meet us on our patio - perfect.
The swim-up rooms are brilliant. We absoloutely loved being able to step right out into the pool. The only drawback as mentioned in a post below, was that we had noisy neighbours who insisted on blasting out music and bawling at the top of their voices. Also the swim-up bar was pretty wild the first week we were there. If you were there for a quiet romantic break you might find it a bit intimidating, but we just got chatting to everyone and joined in the fun. Pretty wild fun with Mrs Hot Pink A$s - you know who you are! William the bar tender is great and remembers what you are drinking.
The restaurants are generally great. The odd blip with certain things not being available etc, but you will always find something you like. I can honstely say the food there was far better than most all inclusives we've been to before, and the table service was great instead of queing for food all the time. Although they could probably do with one buffet restaurant for folk who might just want a quick bite. The serving staff are great - Mercedes was brilliant and always remembered our names.
The bar serves top brand spirits, and the bar tenders are good fun. I never saw them being rude to anyone as stated below, quite the opposite. We had them singing and joking with us. They were lovely.
I saw several guests being downright rude to the staff - some people should be ashamed of their behaviour. Everyone deserves a little respect.
The only down side of the hotel is the beach. There is only a small stretch where you can enter the water for swimming, and its a real struggle to get a bed down there. Heading towards the spa area you can get beds much more easily and its far quieter. You also get drinks and snacks delivered down that end too which is a nice touch.
We did the Coba trip and had a great day. Our trip included the pyramids, a stop at a mayan village, a swim in a cenote and a stop at a craft factory. Great value for money, and our guide was really great.
I would definately recommend the hotel as we had a great time.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

4,303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,116)
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

Date of stay: February 13-20, 2011

My husband and I booked a rather last-minute vacation to the Mayan Riviera through Signature Vacations (Sunwing) at the El Dorado Seaside Suites on recommendation from our travel agent. We were not disappointed by this ADULTS ONLY resort.

FLIGHT: Our flight from Calgary to Cancun was rescheduled to include a stopover in Vancouver (not ideal). However I decided to pay for the Premium Elite upgrade. Note: do not buy this directly when you order your package. Wait and call-in to Sunwing to upgrade. You can save $20 per person ($80 per person for the upgrade) by calling in afterwards if you don't want the $50 voucher that expires in 6 months. The flight itself was great, the extra legroom made a difference and yes, you do get priority meals & such in "first" class. Plus the extra 10kg on your luggage is a nice perk too if you want to buy pottery and such in Mexico. The flight home was delayed a bit, but we didn't have to de-plane in Vancouver, which made for a quick turn-around and home to Calgary. This was new to me as every international flight I've ever been on required me to de-plane and go thru customs, even if it was the same flight/plane continuing onwards.

BUS/TRANSFERS: El Dorado Seaside Suites (EDSS) is a fair ways from Cancun. If you've got the money (it will be about $80 for taxi/van) I *REALLY* recommend taking a private charter. The bus ride stops at many different hotels, and EDSS always seems to be the last. It took us almost 2 hrs to get to the hotel. The return transfer wasn't too bad as we only stopped at a couple resorts and it was a smaller van instead of a bus. But still, it was over 1.5hrs.

ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE: We were greeted with prompt service and smiles (arrived around 8:30pm), a warm cloth (scented with some sort of oil) and champagne. We didn't try to upgrade, as we were simply too tired. Departure was seamless as we didn't charge anything to the room or use the internet at the hotel.

ROOM: Much better than I expected, especially the bed. I'm used to the hard mattresses in Mexico (like at the Riu), but this was a nice, plush mattress - though we could've used more than 2 pillows. I'm sure you can request more, we just didn't, or kept forgetting to. We had room 3912 (block 39, right behind the Gaviota swim-up bar). Check out this site for a detailed map of the complex: http://www.eldoradosparesorts.com/hotels/el_dorado_seaside/location.php Blocks38-41 all have swim-out rooms on the 1st floor, which I would recommend. They also get some nice afternoon sun, which is lacking on certain parts of the beach area and other pools. Remember, this is the east side of Mexico and there's no nice setting sun (as opposed to the Pacific side where I've vacationed before). Like other reviews have said, there is *NO* direct ocean views. Everything is filtered thru a lot of palm trees. Don't bother upgrading. Also I would not recommend blocks 25 & 26 as they are right beside the main bar, which stays open late. If you have an early departure or tour, you're not going to get any sleep there. There is a nice-sized TV with a lot of English-language channels for when you just need to relax. The A/C is a bit loud and blows directly onto the bed. I just brought the curtains down and it cut the cold air from blowing directly onto my head while keeping the room cool & drier (it's quite humid in this part of Mexico). The jacuzzi bath was a nice touch, but watch out for some of the jets, if you aren't in the tub when you turn on the jacuzzi, they can spray up and onto the wall. Wear your complimentary slippers when wet because the marble/tile floor get slippery! We had a 2nd floor room and enjoyed it immensely. The birds get up early, which some guests complained about since you can really hear them no matter if your doors are closed or not. The bathroom is nice, with all the amenities you would need including a hair-dryer. We tipped our housekeeping at the end as when we left out money during our first few days they didn't take it. The safe is too small for laptops, so I hid mine in my locked suitcase (NOT IDEAL - be forewarned). We had room service twice, and enjoyed it both times (dinner only). Others had breakfast and told us it was fantastic, however we got LOTS of morning sun on our balcony and it was a little too bright for us in the morning. The water pressure in the shower DEFINITELY leaves something to be desired, and it took 2-3 showers to get the temperature to acceptable (either too hot or too cold).

BEACH/POOLS: The beach in Playa del Carmen is nicer, as the EDSS beach is mostly crushed coral. You need pool shoes for the main beach area if you're going to venture out. Yes, there are big sandbags on the rest of the beach to prevent erosion. The didn't deter from my view as I simply looked beyond them. To the north is the Nude resort, and there is quite a stretch to the south that you can walk. Be sure to wear decent sandals as the beach is quite sloped and can be treacherous. The pools are nice, but not heated. That was okay for me, because I liked to cool off in them after sitting in the sun. The beach beds are plentiful, same with the deck chairs. However, choice spots with lots of sun are taken early. Be sure to claim your bed/chair by 7am. Service around the beach and the pools is variable, but if you tip (like 20 pesos = $2) they tend to come around more often. The beach beds are simply divine, and for a "partial-albino" (ha ha) myself, a nice place to read and not get burnt to an absolute crisp. However, we found that the beach-side is quite windy and can get a wee bit cool once the sun isn't hitting you directly. That's when we'd move to one of the pools that were a bit more sheltered.

BARS: Both my husband and I had wonderful service at all the bars. I really can't complain. Yes, they short pour a bit, but again, I don't mind. If you request extra rum, they will give it to you. I noticed that they didn't short pour as much in the evenings. I highly recommend the Rivera Maya drink - very nice for the beach.

FOOD: We had breakfast at Vida (sit down) and Sandwicherie (buffet). Both were nice, but "Super Dario" at Vida was a top-notch server with a great personality. We tried all the other restaurants as well for lunch and dinner. I was disappointed by La Carreta (Mexican) and my husband found his prawns were "dirty" - they still had "stuff" in their innards and he would've gotten sick if he hadn't picked them apart and noticed (he's in the hotel industry and knows what to look for). The pasta was undercooked there as well. The Italian (Mia Casa) was nothing to write home about either. My chicken was overcooked and the dividing wall between us and the table beside us was nothing more than some wrought-iron fencing, so it was like we were sharing a table. Not exactly what we hoped for. Vida (mixed cuisine) and Klay Talay (Asian) both made up for this. They were both excellent. On our last night (Saturday) they featured a Mexican buffet at the Sandwicherie which was pretty good (I've had much better at Dreams Villamagna in Puerto Vallarta).

TOURS: We only did one tour booked through the Sunwing rep to Coba, a Mayan village, a Ceynote and finally a nice early dinner. It was spectacular and worth the $100 per person. Coba isn't nearly as far as Chichen Itza (3+ hrs away) and you can still climb the main temple there (most others are closed to climbing now). The guide was of Mayan heritage and he really taught me a lot about the culture then and now. The village was interesting and the Ceynote (fresh water sinkhole) was so refreshing after a day of walking around. Dinner was excellent, spicy and authentic.

Overall, I really enjoyed this trip. However, I do like the Nuevo Vallarta area just north of Puerto Vallarta more. Having the sunsets, and larger beaches appeals more to me. The towns are smaller and have a more "authentic" feel. Playa del Carmen has lots of shopping, but it feels rushed somehow and I really didn't enjoy my time there like I did in Bucerias or Puerto Vallarta. Also, I really enjoyed the whole Nuevo Vallarta complex and the ability to walk around from resort to resort. At EDSS you're quite removed from any town and it's about a 5-8min walk up to the highway - and then it's only the busy-busy highway. The Corportivo bus service is excellent at at 20 pesos per person to Playa del Carmen, a much better deal than the taxis. Some people on the resort wouldn't take them, but we had no issues - just know that you have to watch for the signs for your resort on the way back and you'll have to cross the highway (no real issues there). EDSS was a very enjoyable vacation, and we met lots of other Canadians and a lot of Brits too (it seems to be a popular vacation spot for them). I would recommend this hotel to others for a nice, couples only, spot.

England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

Travelled with First Choice staying from 5 to 19 Febrary 2011 in a standard suite. The room, resturant food and bars were very good, particularly the Italian where the waiters were very efficient.The beach is small, however there are plenty of loungers and little need to 'reserve' at the crack of dawn. I rate the hotel a 4plus only a shade below 5 as it does not have all the facilities of 5 rated hotels we have previously enjoyed on the R Maya.Have confidence it is very good and any problems are resolved quickly by the management. We had two minoe issues which were resolved satisfactorily. On tip, if travelling from the UK book a taxi from the airport. Transfer, including drop offs was almost 3 hours which after a long flight is uncomfortable.

Chandler, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

Bar service was extremely inadequate ... bartenders would ignore you until you were obnoxious and demanded their attention ... this wasn't a one off ... it happened every time and even when extravagent tips were given ... even reached over the bar and pour our own wine after waiting too long. "All inclusive" means all liquor and food right? They demanded $25 for each bottle of wine and wanted extra for a lobster dinner, but offered limited seafood at the restaurants ... none for room service. Let's talk about room service ... menu was very limited and the food was ALWAYS delivered cold. If pizza hut can deliver warm pizza in 30 minutes, why can't a resort when you're paying $360 bones a night? Had a situation one night when a maid tried entering our room at 8 pm ... didn't bother knocking first or announcing herself ... thank goodness we had the door latched. The rooms were not built well ... very cramped they way they are set-up ... and we could hear everyone coming up the stairs atnight ... so much for a good night sleep. Beds were way too soft and cheap pillows that were too high for our liking ... we ended up sleeping with no pillows. We were there for a wedding which the groom and bride were suppose to receive flowers from the future in-laws on the day of arrival and were delivered by the resort 3 days late and just a day before departure. The sun pier to walk out over the water was shut off half way due to disrepair. VERY little beach! Charges for internet and phone service were very high. This was the 4th all-inclusive we've stayed in ... the others were less $$ per night and were fantastic ... El Dorado Suites were the overall the absolutely poorest for service! The grounds were very elegant and beautiful but the rooms were NOT oceanview unless you consider people walking past your place and sqinting between trees to see the ocean as "beachfront". Spend your $$ elsewhere and you won't regret it!

Celevland Ohio area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

A tropical setting, heavily planted, with flowering plants and coconut trees. The trees make it difficult to see the Caribbean. Walking throughout the property is like walking through a shade garden. The suites, regardless of category, are clean, comfortable, and are all parallel to the shore, except for the swim-ups which are behind the beachfront building.

The beach is large enough to accommodate many beach beds and hammocks. The shore, however, is small and the rejuvenating program is working to return the sand lost to hurricanes. You can walk off the property on the beach to the turtle preserve and beyond.

The food, beverage, and spa treatments are top of the line, however the spa could use a facelift. But there are many locations on the beach to receive your spa treatments. The restaurants are gourmet and so is the presentation. Beverages are served in glass in the evening and are top shelf. Don’t miss the beach BBQ at lunchtime or have fun at the evening entertainment.

The entire staff, maintenance, grounds keepers, housecleaning, wait staff, bartenders and management all make an effort to make you feel at home and enjoy your stay.

This was our 11th visit and we will return. Over the years we have recommended this resort to over 60 couples, most of which have taken our recommendation and returned themselves. It is peaceful, quiet, safe and adults only.

I will be entering information about my experience with the Exotic Club in this web sites blog.

Red Deer, Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Booked the Swim up Junior Suites, which were excellent.
The beach was poor, so we were happy to be at the pool instead.
The only drawback was that our neighbour decided to bring his ipod dock and redneck friends to party just outside our suite... loud music (country, of all things) and lots of yelling, cursing and talking about peeing in the pool. People with no class need to find a vacation elsewhere. Luckily, the resort security took care of things promptly and quietly - no fuss!
Spa was very nice. Would return.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

Small, beautiful resort. Food was absolutely amazing, very gourmet. All rooms were very close to the beach. We booked an oceanview room, but did not get it, but the room was still beautiful. Trees were very tall so it didn't matter which room you had, you probably couldn't see the ocean anyway. Resort is for ages 18+ which was one of the reasons for choosing this resort. As a mother of 4 it was awesome to have no kids around and have just an adult atmostphere. Service was amazing no matter where you were on the resort. Again this is a small resort, perfect walking distance to dinner, beach, pool, spa. Only got a beach bed once, too many people hoard them.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!