“Fabulous holiday, Wonderful Wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

Save Saved
You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up to 35% Off + Credit
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous holiday, Wonderful Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2011

We travelled to EDSS in September 2010 with 13 of our friends and family for our wedding. I have absolutely no regrets! It is simply the nicest hotel I have ever stayed in.

On arrival at the hotel, we were seated on depp comfy sofas, given a cold towel and a glass of champagne each. We were checked in very quickly and myself & H2B were given details to meet our wedding coordinator the next day. This process took 15 minutes to get all of us checked in! We were then each taken to our rooms on golf carts and our luggage followed within minutes.

On walking into the suite, I was taken aback. The room was enormous, the bathroom was enormous, the bed was enormous and the jacuzzi was enormous! We had a swim up suite as part of our package and I would highly recommend it as we could get straight into the pool and over to the swim up bar. The bed was so comfy with a deep matress and adequate pillows. The bathroom had a large walk in shower and his & hers sinks. There are robes in the rooms and slippers too which were both very comfortable. I have read comments on here about the air conditioning being insufficient. We found it more than adequate and not at all noisy (so did all of our guests). Towels were changed daily and the in room toilettries were very nice! All of our guests stayed in garden rooms and they were all very pleased with their rooms. The only thing I would recommend is filling the jacuzzi once and run it before using it as a couple of our guests found some hairs coming out of the jets on the first use. We all had a different towel art in our rooms every day which was lovely.

The grounds of the hotel are immaculate and it doesn't matter what time you walk around, there is always staff cleaning, tidying and gardening! All the staff are so so friendly and always say hi to you when passing. .

I am going to break my review down now into the services and areas we used so that I remember to get everything in:

Beach - I have seen a lot of complaints about the beach on here. Yes, there are areas where the beach is shingly but it sits on a coral reef - what do you expect?? There are also areas on the beach where the sand is very smooth and golden. Yes, there are sand bags in the sea around the hotel, but speak to the staff and you will find out that these are a result of the damaged caused by Hurricane Katrina (so too is the fact that half the pier is missing!). There are more than adequate beach beds. We were there in peak seaon and never had an issue getting one of the large double beach beds or individual sunbeds. There is a lovely lady (whose name sadly escapes me!) that walks along the beach and around the pools all day serving drinks and cocktails, which is lovely as you don't even need to move to go to the bar! Beach towels are available from V Aquatics on the beach, where you can also use the snorkelling equipment or take a kayak out for a ride. The V Aquatics guys are really good fun and I would recommend the snorkelling trip which leads you a bit further out onto the reef.

Pools - the pools are kept just as clean as everything else in this hotel. There are swim up bars at all of the pools. If you go to this hotel you must visit the central swim up bar (where they hold the yoag class every morning - recommended!). The bar man here, Israel, is exceptional. He got to know us all by name, knew what our preferences were and even made up some fantastic cocktails for us! Must try cocktails: Dirty Monkey, The El Dorado, Choco Martini and Kir Royale. Every morning they stock the bars with fresh coconuts and will make up a lovely cocktail for you in these. The bar man at the spa pool bar was also fantastic and made us up some fantastic concoctions! The spa pool is very quiet and is the pool that has the sun on it latest in the day!

Restaurants - it is hard to pick a favourite restaurant food wise as they were all so different but so delicius! Breakfast is served in the outside sandwicherie or in Aricifes. There is some self serve options for breakfast and also a hige breakfast menu to order from. Our recommendation include the Eggs Hollandaise and Tortillas! A couple of days we also indulged in a cheeky Mimosa with breakfast (we were on holiday)! Lunch was served in the sandwicherie, Aricifes or the BBQ area. Again, the lunch menu is extensive and there is something different in the BBQ area every day. Dinner there is a much large selection of choices. Mia Casa, is a very romantic italian restaurant where you are served a 4 course dinner (starter, pasta, meat, pudding as well as fresh bread and breadsticks). Klay Talay, is the asian restaurant where if you are in a group, you'll get a private group room were you sit on low stools, very authentic! Here you can have up to 5 courses (starter, sushi, soup, main and pudding). I highly recommend the ice cream in batter for pudding - its fantastic. Vida Grill, is a grill restaurant and is the most lively. You will get a 4 course meal in this restaurant (starter, soup, main, pudding). Make sure you mention any special occasion as they will also bring you a lovely cake decorated for the occasion. The bar man in Vida is very good at getting you drinking the various flavours of tequila shots! The mexican restaurant (name escapes me!) serves a 3 course mexican meal which is fantastic. The chorizo cheese fondue would be my top recommendation. A few people to look out for to make your holiday even more amazing! Brenda in Aricifes - a wonderful hostess who gets to know you by name and cant do enough for you (she is now my facebook friend!! Mercedes in Klay Talay - wonderful waiter who made us a special ornament from cocktail sticks to celebrate our marriage (see my pictures!). Rolando in Aricifes - will get you on the Mimosas for breakfast! Lorenzo in the sandwicherie - remembers all your favourites and has them on the table for you and brings you extra nachos!!

Room Service - I have seen a lot of complaints about room service but we never had a problem. The menu isn't enormous but the food is great and always arrived within 20 minutes, whatever time of day. The waiter brings it into your room and sets everything up for you and comes back later to collect everything.

Mini Bar - the mini bar is included in the price. It was restocked every day with coca cola, diet cola, lemonade, bottled water, beer and chocolate. The chocolate was scrummy!

Evening Shows - we went to a couple of the evening shows. They are small scale shows and honestly not great but they are okay to break up the evening! The fire show is very good.

Gym - there is an adequate gym which is thoroughly cleaned twice a day. There are treadmills, cross trainers, exercise bikes, weights and gym balls. There is a TV in the gym which usually shows football. There are 2 fridges, fully stocked with water and hand towels to use. All of the equipment worked well and it was very quiet when I used it in the mornings.

Our Wedding - everything was taken care of and there was no worries, panicing etc. On our second day we had a meeting with our wedding coordinator who did our blood tests and filled in all the paperwork for us and our witnesses. Our coordinator was around the whole time and we only needed to give her a call if we had a question (thanks Aracelli!). The wedding day was fantastic. I was picked up from my room and driven to the beach. There was a gazebo set up on the beach and a red carpet was going down. Music was played whilst I walked down the aisle and music was played during the signing of the register and at the end of the ceremony. Aricifes restaurant was closed for the evening so we could have a private meal and it was lovely. I had pre-ordered the food and they had printed personlised menus with the food choices on. It was such a special day!

Only one word of warning for anyone travelling with First Choice - the rep based at the hotel is not trust worthy! As a group we paid a lot of money for various excursions which he booked incorrectly and then tried to charge us to change. He was very reluctant to help us or put it right, so please be careful!

Although this is a very romantic hotel, several of our groups members were travelling singally and did not feel in any way uncomfortable or left out of anything.

I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and would be happy to discuss anything further if anyone has questions or needs any advice!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,166)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

Enjoyed our stay, a few years ago stayed at Eldorado Royale. ESS is much smaller with a friendlier feel and a better beach. Food at both very visual, but a bit bland.
Small gripes would be Kenny Gee music piped all over resort? very little alcohol in drinks. Tried drinks without ice! Not much strength! I hope, Not watered down? We missed most of the entertainment, as evening meal times took a while!
Staff excellent, a truly inclusive
Resort.
Please ESS could you brighten up some of the areas at night (Large Bar) To dark all over the Resort.

• Stayed January 2011
ON.Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

Let me say the pick up at the airport went smoothly
Check in went smooth with a champagne glass in hand, it was a different setting not what we're used to. Closed in and glass we like open air settings.
We were in our room at 12 am late night check in.
The room was what we expected clean spacious. There were lots of water bottles everywhere for teeth brushing and in fridge and around the coffee maker(coffee maker coffee was awfull) order a pot from room service.
The Tub was huge and worked well.
We found the bar and we had a tequila shot to celebrate our arrival with our friends then at 2:30 am it was time for bed.
People are right ! There are only 4 lounges and those beds at the main pool get one reserved by 7 am or carry lounges from pool water out or from the beach.
Me being gluten free ( celiac) I thought the the dining would be better to order my food then buffets so thats why we choose this place.
You had to wait if you have a group of 4 for a table as there mostly set up for 2 People.
Breakfest under the asian resturant was the best place, we had a great balcony with sun morning to night ( room 4026) so we had room service deliver the last two mornings it was so nice they set up on our table with place mats and all.
Lunch at the sanwichere was good for our friends and I found a salad bar inside then order a burger no bun for the side of it or chicken
Problem was there was a piece of metal in my burger.I chewed on it and thinking it was a bone spit it out (They think it was a 1/2 Inch long saw blade piece) I got the waiter to show the cook and on the way out they apologized and said they'd look into it.( I work in this field and know it happens)
the next day I tried again a cheese burger with bacon, we ate inside today off the menu.We never got asked if we wanted drinks and they told me my burger will be 20 mins I said okay as everyone had soups or salads coming.
Our friends were served, but my husband was still had not soup of salad coming (WAITER WAS NOT TRAINED PROPERLY AND CONFESSED) MY HUBBY WAS UPSET NO FOOD NO DRINKS OFFERED AND FRIENDS ARE EATING ALREADY!
WELL I GOT MY BURGER AGAIN NO CHEESE NO BACON ASKED ABOUT IT AND GOT IT ON THE SIDE BROUGHT TO ME MY BURGER WAS RAW AND STILL COLD INSIDE
I ASKED FOR THE MANAGER THIS TIME AND HE AGREED IT WAS NOT COOKED THE CHIEF TOLD HIM IT WAS AND GLARED AT US ( I SAID OKAY HE THE PRO AND SENT IT BACK) WE GOT MY HUBBY'S FOOD DELIVERED TO HIM AND A TEA FOR ME WITH NO TEA BAG IN IT FINALLY
I ORDERED NACHOS FROM LUCY OR POOL SERVER ( LUCY HEARD ABOUT OUR PROBLEM AND TOLD CHARLIE (ENTERTAINMENT STAFF ) HE MADE SURE THE RIGHT PEOPLE FOUND OUT ABOUT OUR EXPERIENCE AND THAT NIGHT DINNER WAS SO MUCH BETTER.
THE BBQ AT THE BEACH THE NEXT DAY WAS BURGER lol MY HUBBY WARNED IT WAS THE SAME CHIEF HE APOLIGIZED AND I FINALLY GOT A COOKED BURGER ON MY 3RD TRY IT WAS GOOD!
AFTER METAL IN YOUR BURGER AND RAW FOOD YOU THINK WE WOULD HAVE A FRUIT BASKET AND SORRY NOTE BUT NOTHING.
WE WON A ROMANTIC DINNER FOR TO AT CASINO NIGHT
IT WAS OKAY WINDY ON THE BEACH BUT I WOULD NOT PAY EXTRA THE DINNER WAS THE SAME AS ITALIAN AND HAD A CANDLE $77US MORE IF YOU WANTED LOBSTER.
CHECK OUT TIME WAS LATE FOR US SO WE MOVED OUT OF OUR ROOM AT 12 PREBOOKED A ROOM FOR 4 PM TO CHANGE AND SHOWER IN TOLD OUR FRIENDS TO DO THE SAME AND THE COUPLE THAT TRAVELED THE SAME NIGHT
WELL WE WENT AT 4PM AND GUESS WHAT THEY SAID THERE WERE NO ROOMS WE HAD TO USE THE SPA SHOWER OUR FRIENDS CAME 10 MINS LATER AND GOT A ROOM AND THE OTHER COUPLE WE TOLD AND WE GOT NOTHING IN THE END THE SPA AREA HAD A MAN WORKING IN IT WITH NO DOORS I HAD TO ASK THEM TO ASK HIM TO LEAVE.
Lucy our pool server she is great well spoken and A1 and Charlie and Daniel are worderfull they try hard I tried Yoga one clouldy day and it was good.
The nightly enterainment was ok, the casino night and Michael Jackson show were fun we went to bed early most nights.
I used the gym twice it is clean, big and well maintained.
we talked to others and we all had a feeling of not wanting to recommened this place
our friends booked Ocean Veiw and never got told they never got it they faced the main pool and the Ocean is beyond that.
THE PLACE WAS OVER BOOKED SO THEY OFFERED PEOPLE TO MOVE TO A SISTER RESORT.
There is no Ocean view we knew that sort of from trip advisory they are putting more trees on beach and beds blocking it all in
the water it sand bags as we knew about bring water shoes and the snorkling was great
well I hope this helps you with your trip
THE PIC OF A POOL BAR IS FROM THE ROOMS ONLY WE WERE ON OUR BALCONY
Hola
I love Mexico
It is safe and I will go back to the Palladium next door next time, take a walk down there and check it out!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

We stayed at the El Dorado Seaside Suites for Christmas and New Year. The only bad exprience of this holiday was the 12 hour delay going and the 12 hour delay coming back. If anyone is thinkig of travelling with First Choice/Thomson, dont. They do not know how handle long haul flights and their flight attendants are the rudest people I have ever encountered on a flight. Anyway back to the holiday. When we arrived we were attended to straight away, despit arriving at 7.30 a.m. There was a bottle of champagne in our room and the room was lovely with a king size four poster bed. The maid left towel toys every day and on christmas day a chocolate house was left in our room. The entertainment was adequate. The magcian was very good. Meals excellent and the staff are so accomodating and canot do enough for you. Vida restaurant was our favorite as the staff there, especially "super Dario" were so friendly. In fact we could not fault the staff at all in every restuarant and at the bars. The drinks are all branded drinks. The service at the bars could be a bit quicker but having said that they were under pressure all day long. There are a lot of Americans and Canadians at the resort and although their lound voices and accents are great to listen to at first by the end of the holiday they did begin to grind on our nerves. Saying that we met a lovely couple from Colorado. I would advise anyone going not to bother booking a seaview room as there are no sea views and you will be paying extra for something you will not get. If you get a chance DEFINATELY fo to COCO BONGO in Playa Del Carmen. It is amazing. We didn't want to leave. All in all the holiday was absolutely brilliant and we do intend go backing again and again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2011

If you are there for food it is good, portions could be bigger.There is no day long buffet,(except breakfast) so if you are hungy be prepared to be seated all the time, that can take 30 to 60 minutes to eat, so if you are not in a hurry it is O.K.Found food in all restaraunts good,service in was good except the Italian witch is slow.
Do not go there to swim because of rough rocks & shallow water.Best to walk down towards Palladuim with towel & swim there as it is beutiful white sand in & out of water.Snorkling is good but hard to get in & out ocean because of rocks.
The nightly entertainment is very acceptable as the staff puts on the shows (except for the micheal jackson night).During the day they play elevator music, light jazz, in the main bar pool area with very low volume, no mexican or island music
The grounds are very well keep & these people work very hard.The people they have working there are excellent,& friendly.
Now to my tiltle, we booked oceanview & were put in gardenview.( no problem as the room we got worked out better for us),the problem started as they did not tell us about this until my wife went for a massage & was told our room had a $ 200credit that can be used ANYWHERE IN THE FACILITY. Me being a sceptic I went the office & asked about this,was told reason is a (gift) for the overbooking.I said that I would rather have money back thru travel agent as opposed to trying to spend $ 200 on stuff there.I was told that this is not a either or situation but a gift for the problem & a letter will be given to you saying of mistake that I could take to agent.Got my letter witch explanded everthing so I was happy, wife had a massage & nails done for $ 96.Still had $ 104 left over so on last day we went to a shop & she bought some jewlery for friends back home.She spent approx $ 80, so when we went to checkout we had a bill for haircut ( if you seen me you would see I'am in no need for a haircut), that got cleared,the spa treatments were o.k., but they charged me for what she got in the jewelly shop.I told them that I would not pay for this as I was told we could use this credit anywere on site.Was told to go to the shop & return it,when I got there the woman in the shop calls the same guy I was talking to @ checkout to come over,she reluctantly agrees.So now all in the world is good except when I get back to checkout they have a letter there for me to sign that states I used my $ 200 credit & that NOW I RELEASE THE HOTEL & EVERYONE FROM FURTHER ACTION.I signed because if I did not I would have had to pay the "$96 gift" I got earlier.In the letter it states this is a isolated incident, but I ran into 4 other couples who had same " overbooking" problem.Although we did not get overrun by ants in room & have sewage back up in the next room, as the one couple did, so we got off good.
Be careful off what you pay for here as there is no "true" oceanview rooms because of palm trees in way, so double check with hotel when you get there to secure you got what you pay for or management WILL LIE TO YOU, to get you to use these credits.

Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

Just returned from El Dorado Seaside Suites ..... loved every minute of it. The staff are so attentive and very friendly. Any need or desire was quickly attended to, and with politeness and a smile. Especially nice was the private concierge for every 2 or 3 villas so no need to venture to the lobby. Your concierge contacts you periodically throughout your visit to make sure everything is perfect. And it pretty much was for us. The room was spotless and towel art every day. Always lots of extra supplies left for you and the mini bar was filled almost to overflowing every day. Chilled champagne and a hot jacuzzi filled with bubbles greeted us on check in. We were in an ocean front suite , first floor, and neither the first nor second floor suites give you an absolute view of the ocean but the courtyard between our villa and the beach is beautiful and the beach is just steps away. The meals were typical of an AI but no buffets per se in the restaurants. However there is a lunch beach buffet daily and also special buffets at other times and locations for you to enjoy. Outstanding staff in all the restaurants .... "super Dario" and all the other waiters at breakfast in Vida plus Celia the hostess. Very nice people. And Janet bringing you drinks and anything else you want on the beach. She works tirelessly and always has a smile. I must say that the waiters in Mia Casa were a bit curt and unfriendly. But they were certainly the only cranky ones on the entire resort. Everyone else, no matter what job they did, were super friendly and welcoming. The whale sandbags didn't bother us .... they attract the birds and the fish,and you don't really notice them after a while. They serve a purpose, and without them we mightn't have a beach to enjoy. There are 2 public computers plus wifi in the lobby but they charge for usage. A book exchange is in the lobby and each private concierge building too. The towel game on the beach is present but they are building more palapas and beach beds at present to provide more shady spots. We never had a problem finding a palapa. This resort has a comfy welcome feel to it. No trams because it's not a huge concrete resort. Beautiful setting and very peaceful and tranquil. Covered beach beds and hammocks here and there all over the resort grounds. Never bothered by loud groups or parties. Any minor gliches were quickly resolved. Most of the staff make an effort to speak your language. Some even carry notebooks and are trying to improve their english by asking you how to phrase things. The sand on the beach is on the coarse side, as is the ocean bottom. The water is shallow for a long way out. The fish will cluster around you in the water .... looking for a handout. Snorkelers were in paradise here. The ocean water is cool , as is the the water in both the pools. But the warm sun will quickly warm you again. The entertainment staff will keep you active daily, or you can rest without bother on the beach or your balcony. You choose what you want and this resort will make it happen for you.

Kansas City, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

This chain of resorts never ceases to amaze me! We've stayed at El Dorado Royale (in 2009) and now just stayed at Seaside Suites from Jan 23-30, 2011. They have the best service of any resort or hotel I've stayed at! From the moment you walk into this resort to the minute you leave, they treat you like kings and queens. I'm already missing it!

Just as we walked in, they greeted us with a glass of champagne and told us that they've upgraded us to the HONEYMOON suite from the Swim-up we booked because we were planning on getting married on the beach there. The suite was amazing and had its own personal pool, beach chairs, beach bed and a gorgeous view of the ocean. Everything is very clean and they always decorate your bed with towel art.

As for the location of the resort, it is south of Playa del Carmen and about an hour drive south of the airport, which isn't the most exciting drive, but worth it once you're there. The beach is quite nice. There are sandbags, but I don't mind them because they help create the beautiful beach and some awesome tide pools and reefs. Also, if you walk a little further south down the beach past the resort's boundaries, you reach a beach that feels like it was made of flour. It's that soft!

As for the food and drinks, this really is a gourmet all-inclusive resort. The food is amazing! Other reviews mention the small portions; I actually completely disagree. When we were at El Dorado Royale two years ago, I thought they had small portions and appreciated it because you could eat a lot of different things and have multiple courses. I assumed the same at Seaside, but was surprised with how much bigger the portions were compared to Royale. My husband and I were only able to split one appetizer and each get one entree; even this left us stuffed. Also, we never had to wait for more than 10 minutes (and that was at lunch) at any restaurant. Even when you do have to wait, it's at the bar, so it's still fun! For drinks, their inclusive options are great. Many Mexican resorts and hotels only serve domestic alcohol, but they had many top shelf and average international and domestic choices, like Bacardi, Absolut, etc. The bar and restaurant staff are great too. They really don't expect tips and do not treat you any differently if you tip them or not; however, they do appreciate it.

As for activities, they've got something going on all day long. Their activity staff are so much fun! We played beach volleyball twice a day when we were there, but there's also snorkeling and kayak tours, water volleyball, Spanish lessons, etc. The nightlife is little quiet compared to places in Cancun or bigger resorts. It seems they are geared at couples, and we appreciated that since we were on our honeymoon/wedding trip. We actually went to bed quite early (around 9-10 PM!) so I'm not sure how it got after that.

For our wedding, they practically bend over backwards to make your day perfect! We were served a four course breakfast in our room the morning of. Then they made sure to take our wedding pictures right at sunset, so it was just gorgeous. They also get your wedding album and a CD of all the pictures two days after you take them! The ceremony was wonderful and after we had a private candlelit dinner on the beach, which again was amazing. They do have an additional wine list with wines for purchase. We splurged and ordered one bottle that night, but other nights the regular wine was just fine.

Overall, the best part of this resort is their service. They are so friendly, happy, and truly want to make your experience there special. My least favorite part was that the food portions have seemed to have gotten bigger and I would have liked them smaller so we could order more of the courses because the food is just so good.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!