“El Dorado Royale is better value & quality than Seaside” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

Save Saved
You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up to 32% Off + Credit
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Canada
“El Dorado Royale is better value & quality than Seaside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

The weather was rainy for the 1st couple of days upon arrival, and the nights tended to be cold. I found the resort was lacking any indoor activities, so we ended up in our rooms at night watching TV. The Eldorado Royale had a martini bar, which was excellent for nights when the weather wasn’t great. The food was substandard – now maybe my expectations have gone up since staying at the Royale. I was even served burnt pancakes at La Carreta for breakfast, and we even walked out during dinner service - taco stands serve better food. I recommend having breakfast at the Vida Garden Grill. We enjoyed most meals at Klay Talay – the sushi was excellent. Arrecifes was closed during our stay. Mia Casa was about a 3 star Italian restaurant. I found often they were out of items – Chips for the salsa, waffle chips… The best lunch is at the Sandwicherie. The room service menu is small – and don’t order the french onion soup.
The beaches were beautiful, but it was a bit rocky. You can only snorkel up to the farthest sand bag, and the water is only up to your waste. There are bits of coral all over, and I cut my knee open. So be careful when swimming. The sky beds were awesome. The pools were too cold to swim in, I never saw 1 person once in them.
The drinks were excellent – I recommend the Coco Loco served in a coconut. Drink service was not great on the beach.
Our room flooded the last day there, and it took them 1 hour to come and fix the pipes, and another 2 for the maid to clean up the room.
All in all I wouldn’t classify this as a 5 star resort – probably a weak 4. I would highly recommend the El Dorado Royale over the Seaside.

4,313 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,119)
  • Polish first
manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

We went to this hotel 5 years ago for xmas & new year and we still think about it now. Everything about this hotel was amazing. Welcome drink quick check in, our room was set back and was beautiful with four poster bed, tv/dvd big bathroom and a great jacuzzi bath tub in the corner of the room, we were glad we didnt pay extra for a sea view as there were alot of trees blocking the view of these rooms.

The food was great everywhere and the menus changed often the international restaurant was a favourite of mine then the mexican then thai the italian restaurant was just getting ready to open whilst we were there so did not go. Drinks were also great and there were drinks service by the pools and beach we didnt tip and still received great service.

There was always sunbeds whichever part of the grounds we went to we liked the quiet pool by the swing bar and one day got tipsy on sambuca and tiquila shots. By the main pool they did water polo and there was also a swim up bar where you could sit and have cocktails. The sea was warm come midday and i tried the pedlos, kayaks and snorkling (lots of fish to see.)The weather was really hot throughout our stay.

Menu in the room for room service which was great we ordered a few times. Tennis courts were good but we played in the afternoon which was a mistake as it was too hot. On new years eve they put all the double matresses off the sunbeds and put them on the beach and they did the show on the beach it was a really good night. On other nights the entertainment was alright they had dance shows and things like that i liked the casino night which was good fun.

overall we had a really good time great friendly staff, great weather , great drinks and amazing food. I have recommended this hotel to everyone and i am looking forward to returning.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

Mi wife and myself went to el Dorado Seaside for a special holiday we booked it on the UK with thomson, the first thing than they offer was on ocean front room, wich we never had, on the hotel all the balcony are cover for palm trees, so really dont bother to book any thah the basic, is just as good.

Beside the not having the view all our stay was great with the exception of the trips than we booked, we went to the welcome meeting with the thomson rep, and was really informative and fast, the rep was friendly and not pushy at all with the sells, but we try to save a little money and decide to booked the trip with the guys on the beach, it was bad,we have so many inconvienences and this guys once than took your money they just dont want to know about you anymore, we do report it to the hotel and they explain than even than they are on the property is an indenpendient company. So advice will be stay with the sure option and book everything with the rep is a very little difference and they at least will guarrantee a good quality trips.

The hotel overall has a great food, service, and the gardens are just breathtaking, not bother to pay any upgrade cause all the rooms are almost the same.

Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2011

My partner and I stayed at EDSS between January 2 and January 8, 2011 and had an absolutely amazing time. We had read many reviews and looked at a lot of pictures on Trip Advisor, so had a really good idea of what to expect once we arrived. Although there were a few small negative points with our stay, they were hardly noticeable and majorly outweighed by all of the positives.

Location: We flew into Cancun and took a coach bus to our resort. If you are willing to pay for transport from the airport, this is a good idea, since we ended up waiting for our bus to fill-up (1.5hrs), and then had to stop at a few different resorts to drop people off before finally arriving at EDSS. The drive ended up being about 1.5hrs. When we did finally arrive, check in was speedy with no glitches and in our room, there was a fruit bowl and a bottle of chilled champagne waiting for us. This was very nice.

We did travel into Playa Del Carmen for one day, which was a 20 minute taxi drive and cost $20 (Canadian). From there we hopped on the ferry to Cozumel (40 minutes) and rented a scooter for the day to drive around the entire island. The scooter rental was $40 for the day and the ferry was $25 each, round trip. It was definitely worth it, we had a blast stopping at little bars and restaurants along the ocean. We were able to pull over on the side of the road and enjoy our own private beach with amazing, white, powder soft sand. We felt safe off the resort, but it were only away between 9-6.

The Room: We were in room 1901, on the ground level, and it was perfect. We were close to everything and so it was easy to go back to our room during the day if we needed to. The resort is a great size, so I think this is the case with most rooms. The bed was comfortable, although the pillows a bit lumpy (minor detail), the Jacuzzi was amazing and we used it every evening before dinner, we had a nice sitting area with a couch and chair, the TV was a big, flat screen. The only negative about the room is that the shower temperature was never consistent. This was only mildly annoying. There is an iron, ironing board, hair dryer, slippers and robes in the room. They always make sure you have plenty of towels and water bottles. The mini fridge was filled with pop, beer, pretzels and chocolate bars and if you want more or less of something you just need to ask!

Restaurants: We had the opportunity to enjoy all of the restaurants and never had a bad meal. One of our favourite spots was Vida Garden Grill. We enjoyed breakfast, lunch and dinner here. We also really liked Klay Talay, the Asian restaurant. The sushi is very good. If you want to get a good seat on the patio be sure to arrive around 6:30. We found that most of the restaurants were busiest around 7:30. We enjoy eating a later dinner, around 8:00. A few times we arrived at a restaurant at this time and there was a waiting list. This was no problem because they would give us a beeper and we would wait at a bar for about 30-45 minutes until our table was ready. You can order snacks while you wait if you are starving. We had a great time at the Mexican restaurant; they have really good flavoured tequila! The Italian restaurant is very romantic. I would advise sitting inside here, because there is music playing and it can be chilli in the evenings (we sat outside and were sort of annoyed by a cat begging for food).
You can order room service 24/7 which we used a couple times.
A note on buffets: There were always breakfast buffets that included delicious fruit, pastries, breads with a toaster, peanut butter, nutela, and jam, meat and cheeses, omelette stations, cereal, yogurt, granola….so you could choose to have a quick bite, order off of the menu, or both! They had similar set-ups at lunch time with a salad bar, meets, cheeses, fruit, etc. But we didn’t see anything like this at dinner time.

The Beach: The beach is not as soft as other beaches I have visited, but I was not bothered at all. It was easy for me to walk on the sand. There are some rocky spots in the water, so for some water shoes might be a good idea. Just south of the resort, there is another beach area, with nicer sand and larger waves (because there are no sand bags or reefs breaking the waves farther out in the ocean), and it’s just a 2 minute walk if you’re interested. There is also a nude beach to the north of the resort and if you like you can go visit for the day, but you have to be completely nude. We didn’t go, but other couples we met had a good time there.

The Pools: There are 2 main pool areas which include 1 activity pool and 1 lap/spa pool. To tell you the truth I didn’t even go into the activity pool, but it looked like a lot of fun. We hung out mostly at the beach or at the lap pool which was near the spa. There are some smaller pool and swim-up bar areas around, which are attached to the swim-up rooms. We enjoyed one on our last day and had a lot of fun.

Beach Beds: There are beach beds everywhere around the resort. You will never have a problem finding one, but there are some in better locations which are reserved by 6:30am every morning. Since I like to get up early this wasn’t an issue for me. I just got a coffee and read or went back to sleep on the beach/pool side bed!

Activities: We never participated in any group activities or outings, but we did take advantage of the snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, and ping-pong. You can really do as much or as little as you want at this resort. There are always activities going on, and there is a schedule posted each day which includes soccer, beach and pool volley-ball, snorkel and kayak tours, aqua-fit, dance and Spanish lessons, Bingo and trivia.
If you are artsy there is an area set up near the activity pool that sells pottery. You can purchase pre-painted items, or choose and paint your own. I did this and it was so fun. You purchase and paint your pottery and then you get it back the next day after it’s been perfected and put in a kiln and glazed. I bought a picture frame for $20 and spent about 2 hours painting it, one hot afternoon. It was a nice, quiet activity to do in the shade.
They have a very nice gym with very nice equipment. It is air conditioned with music and TVs. We used it a couple times.
I did a morning yoga class one day which was very nice. It was mostly stretching and breathing exercises, and at the end, while lying on our stomachs, everyone got a short back massage from the instructor!

Service: We had very good service wherever we went. Some of the staff were a little bit more memorable than others. I thought the staff were excellent. You do not need to tip to receive excellent service, but we did leave money for the room cleaning service and tipped the waiters and bar tenders. We usually tipped 20-50 pesos here and there.

The Grounds: Very well kept. Beautiful gardens. Hammocks and beach beds everywhere. Very lush.

If you are looking for a romantic, quiet, relaxing getaway at a place with amazing food and excellent service, then I would definitely recommend EDSS. We have recommended this resort to friends and family and definitely hope to visit again!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Seaside this past December and it was truly amazing. We are members of Exotic Travelers and therefore stayed in one of three royal suites, which was absolutely gorgeous.

We found the grounds on the resort spectacular. The resort truly lives up to its romantic reputation.

The gym was great. I understand that they had upgraded the building where it is located as well as the equipment very recently and it is top notch. The food is fantastic. Although, we were disappointed with the Italian and thought that this would be one of the best restaurants. Perhaps the service we received had something to do with it. I recommend the seafood paella at the indoor restaurant by the Sandwicherie, the burgers and fries at the Sandwicherie are very tasty and I had an amazing lamb main course from the Vida restaurant. There is a great Health Corner by the Sandwicherie where they make any type of smoothie or veggie/fruity drink, very nice touch. We also enjoyed the cheese plates from room service. I definitely recommend that with either bubbly or a bottle of wine. The wine is not the best we've had at a Karisma resort, but the Shiraz and Merlot were not that bad. The Asian restaurant is also very very good. We ate there twice. The sushi was really fresh and their fried ice cream is fantastic.

The beach is very nice and the sandbags are required, so please don't fuss over that too much. We were not offended by the pier and don't share the opinion of some that think it should be taken down.

We enjoyed a couple’s massage at the spa and it was fabulous. The staff is absolutely wonderful. Especially our concierge Carlos, best concierge we have ever had.

We look forward to returning to this wonderful resort in the future, but first we will try other El Dorado resorts in the Mayan.

Enjoy your stay, you will not be disappointed.

Winnipeg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

My wife and I had our honeymoon here from January 1 to January 15. I will start from arrival:

ARRIVAL: We arrived VIA private transfer and the bellboys immediately knew it was us. They greeted us by name and took our luggage immediately. Very nice guys, awesome service to start. We went to check-in and was very smooth, however, our room was not ready yet. They had known about our private transfer and the time we were arriving but couldn't get a room ready. Not a huge thing, as this gave us time to explore the resort abit and grab a snack but a tad disappointing. You get champagne and cool towel when you arrive, standard reception from my experiences. Otherwise, check-in was easy, Omar did a wonderful job, very friendly guy.
ROOMS: Well, we had booked an OceanFront room for our honeymoon. There are also OceanView rooms. Do not fall for either of these categories. No room is ocean front or oceanview. There is a good section of Palm Trees between the rooms and the ocean. True, you can see bits of the ocean between the trees but you are not oceanfront at all. This was a problem. They were fully booked for the first few days and couldn't give us anything better but had offered us the choice to move a few days into the trip. We decided not to since the room we got(even though not what we thought) was really nice and everything worked wonderfully in it(heard some issues with toilets/showers not working properly. Ours worked great). The rooms are spacious, very nice rooms. No complaints from what we got, we were in 1501. Its closer to the lobby and lap pool, bit of walk to the beach but hey, it was quiet at night and close to 2 restaurants and a bar. :)
FOOD: Oh man, I cannot say enough good things about the food here. Absolutely amazing. Best food I've had at a resort ever. I had duck, lamb, lobster, pork tenderloin, beef tenderloin, swordfish, all of it was spectacular. Not one dish that I ordered I did not care for, I loved everything I had. The restaurants are VIDA, MIA CASA, LA CARRETA, ARRECIFES,SANDWICHERIE and KLAY TALAY. By FAR, Mia Casa and Klay Talay were my favorites. Spectacular food. Sandwhicherie is more a lunch/breakfast place, not a dinner restaurant. It is true, there are no buffets. Only breakfast maybe can be considered that. Its more continental. breads, pastries, fruits, yogurts,cereals, that sort of thing. But you can always order off the menus. Delicious breakfasts too.
SERVICE: On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being amazing, service gets a freakin 20! Everyone was awesome. Friendly, easy to talk to, even taught me some spanish when I asked. Nothing bad to say. Tip them well people, they work their butts off and they deserve it. Bar staff were great, made drinks quick and to my liking, even if I asked for something different. Servers like I said, awesome. Housekeeping, great, a little slow somedays, but there is alot of rooms. We never had anything stolen(as some people have claimed), of course i don't just leave things lying around. We tipped the housekeeping really well the first day. Grounds keepers do an awesome job. take advantage of the concierge, they are very nice(the two gals in concierge office near the gym, they are awesome)
SPA: Really good staff, we had massages on the beach, the couples massage. very nice, worth the cost. Tad expensive for other treatments but, we were on our honeymoon, money wasn't an issue. Spa staff do walk around the resort asking people by pool and beach if they want treatments. You can get a demo treatment free sometimes, but most of time if you decline, they move on. Nothing to worry about.
ENTERTAINMENT: The entertainment was really good. RICARDO(Ricky Da Hampster as he calls himself) is a RIOT. He is so energetic and hilarious. Awesome guy. Itzel and Tanya, also very fun and awesome. Miss you all, made my pool days so much more enjoyable. Daily activities are fun, beach volleyball, bingo, dancing lessons, water polo...lots to do during the day. And the nightly entertainment is pretty awesome as well. Each night is a different show and they put on some good shows. If you see one night the FIRE SHOW or TROPICAL SHOW, check it out, its amazing. Friday night is karaoke night, lots of fun and a good time. :D
BEACH: As with all other reviews, the beach is not spectacular, it is not the smooth soft,flow through your toes sand that one would expect. its not rocky as some have said, its just more coarse than normal, still easy to walk on barefoot. The water is gorgeous but does have some rocky areas. water shoes are a great idea. There is a section that is soft and sandy but not too large. Now before you decide BAH, listen to this first. The reason the beach is not the most spectacular, is because you have a reef not even 100 yards off the shore. Lots of reef. I did many of my own snorkel trips out(they have free tours each day at 11 too) and its amazing. Lots of different fish, I saw stingrays, a barracuda and some other larger fish that I don't know. So don't judge this beach just because of the sand. Its unique in its own way and has lots of reef sections to swim and discover. And the best part, the water is atmost 5ft deep so no worrying about deeper waters. Its really nice snorkeling, for off a resort beach, best i've done(cuba and jamaica are my references)

Overall a fantastic resort and would recommend this resort to any couple wanting to have a romantic week or honeymoon. I loved it and can't wait to go back.

Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2011

I went to El Dorado Seaside Suites back in April and did not think about writing a review at the time... the reason for writing one now is that we are planning our holiday for this year and neither my wife or i would want to go anywhere else!

The facilities were great. Very spacious rooms with king size bed, jacuzi, shower, balcony.

The food was wonderful and a massive reason why we want to go back. Buffet dining can not compare to the experience of all inclusive a la carte. They could improve their deserts but it is a small complaint.

But above all it was the standard of service that was above and beyond anything i have previously experienced. The waiters were so friendly and efficient and that seemed to really relax everyone there and keep people in the frame of mind to enjoy themselves. There were so many little touches that added to our stay, such as when we mentioned to the waiter it was our last evening he came out with cake for us saying Come Back Soon. A great marketing ploy as I have thought of little else ever since!

The entertainments team were great - not too pushy if you want to relax but personally i enjoyed many a game of volleyball.

The weather was very inconsistent while we were there. We were also there at the time of the ash cloud but that just seemed to bring everyone closer together. It felt like a really tight knit community. We ended up being witnesses for the wedding of a couple we met out there whose guests were unable to fly. I think about 30 people turned up for that wedding having heard their predicament to ensure that they had a day to remember.

It was a truly wonderful experience that i would recomend to anyone!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!