“Amazing Honeymoon can't wait to go back” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 30%
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Amazing Honeymoon can't wait to go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

Me and my husband have just came back from the Eldorado Seaside Suites and all I can say is wow! I really cant understand the negative reviews on this site as we are planning on going back as soon as. We went with first choice who were great, the on site rep Pablo was so helpful could not fault him, he even goes into the town for guests to buy things like sun tan lotion to save you forking out in the pricey hotel gift shop. This was our first time to Mexico and we went from 30th August to 13th September, although it was hurricane season if it did rain it was at night time, and was in the 90's most days, very humid plus cheaper time of year. I would defitnely recommend going this time of year as the hotel was only 60% occupied. Ok so Riveria Maya although not a live and happening resort like Cancun there are no high rise hotels and I have been told Cancun is like Benidorm. Transfer to hotel is no more than 2 hours and when we arrived we were given a glass of champagne and a cold towel very nice. We were then taken to our room in a golf buggy we were in an ocean front room 3016, in the newer section of the hotel. Although we did pay for the upgraded room we were very pleased we did, as we were on our honeymoon due to having an upgraded room we had dinner on the beach (recommed this it was lovely), champagne and fruit on arrival and a massage lesson. The room was amazing very spacious, and yes it did have a musty smell when we first walked in but this was due to the air con unit being faulty, it was leaking so we called reception and in 5 minutes someone came to the room and fixed it. They are going round the rooms and replacing the air con units with new ones. Ok so view from balcony you cant see the sea, because of the palm trees but you are 30 seconds from the beach and it made it private. The standard rooms are above the swim up suites so are little bit further back but no more than 2 minutes. The beach was beautiful, yes its rocky but who cares when you have a beach bed, coral reef and beach waiter! We never had to go to the bar for a drink once. Wet shoes I would recommend especially if you go snorkelling which is worth while! If you go to the spa beach part of the beach you do not have direct access to the sea, but you do get food for lunch and fruit also brought to your beach bed as it is right next to the pamper pool. We used to get up at around 6.45 to 7 and we could always get a beach bed. There are 3 pools, lap pool (pamper), activities (noisy) and swim up bar one, we preferred the lap pool as we did not fancy doing the activities. The food was amazing could not fault it, make sure you try all the restaurants out. Dress code for girls is anything really I liked to dress up. Men they say no bermuda shorts, beach flip flops or t shirts but we did see people allowed in wealing this! I assume this is because the hotel was not full. My husband wore polo shirts, shirts, jeans and smart trousers like cargo trousers with converse style trainers. Leather sandals are permitted to which they sell in the gift shop but expensive! Also the currency in Mexico is now pesos only. Room service was not the best but being 24/7 was great for if u wanted to stay in and chill out for the night. There is also a selection for DVD's free in reception. We never had to wait for a table in the restaurants but if you do they give you a beeper. Bars were amazing any drink you can think of, a coco loco cocktail comes in a coconut! If you ask for branded spirits they will use them no problem. Staff were faultless so lovely, and to be honest we hardly tipped, only if we got exceptional service and the bell boys. Night time entertainment also quite good. When you get there go speak to your personal concerige as they will fill you in on eveything you need to know, Israel was fantastic at ours. Trips we did Chichen Itza you had to do this trip ama\ing but go through your rep as its 2 and half hours away. Also went to Tulmn also great went in a taxi by ourselves, if you go hear and you have been to Chichen Itza do not pay for the guide as its the same information. The beach is amazing, our taxi also waited for us at no extra charge but this meant we could not really go and see the main public beach just outside of Tulmn. When we go back we are going later in the day as they do night time things on the beach. Go to Tulumn early as its silly hot there! We also had a 50 minute full body couples moonlight massage at the hotel very nice, advertised at 300 dollars but you can get it for 200, the spa staff are always walking round offering massages, so ask for deals. Overall amazing holiday would recommend this hotel to anyone 5 out of 5, also heard that the eldoardo royale is so big it takes 30 minutes to get from one end to the other! Seaside suites are small and intimate and so romantic. If you ask to have your jucuzzi bath done up with candles and rose petals I did as a suprise for my husband on the last night and they did. Cant wait to go back, swim up suites looked nice but patio area not very private, honeymoon suites there are 3 next to each other which share the same pool, also private beach beds not on the beach but the grass in front. Also presidential villa if you can afford it! appears to have a ground floor suite and first floor, only the first floor has the infinity pool on the balcony. I would recommend ocean front everytime. As for weddings I think the resort is too small for a wedding venue, make sure you go and see it before you book your wedding there, however pefect honeymoon hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,472)
  • Polish first
Exeter
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

Wow what a place, my husband and I stayed at EDSS for two weeks at the end of August beginning of September for our honeymoon we stayed in an Ocean Front Room, which yes you were not right on the beach and yes you couldn't really see the Ocean, however there were wonderful palm trees in front of our balcony (2nd floor) which was full of wildlife and made our balcony private which was wonderful, and just the sound of the Ocean was enough for us.

Other reviews have moaned about the sand and yes in places it is a little rough, however in the two weeks we were there I think my feet had the best pedicure ever!! we did not take water shoes and to be honest I was in bare feet for most of the holiday (Bliss). There are sand bags in the Ocean but we over looked this as it is all about conservation and you have to ask yourself what is more important? They have the makings of a wonderful Coral Garden just off the shore, we saw two of the resident Baracudas just swiming in the shallows. We also saw Turtle nests, so when you see all these things the sandbags don't seem to be a problem and they have such wonderful underwater life living around them.

The room was amazing it was kept so clean all the time, we had more clean towels than we knew what to do with!! Yes the water in the shower is Salt Water, I used a tip from another review and rinsed my hair with a bottle of water which worked very well. We did have a small problem with our air conditioning it wasn't as cool one day as it should have been but a trip to the consierge was all it took to have it all sorted in a flash.

We never had a bad meal the whole time we were there, and although the portions are A La Carte (small) we were never hungry, infact we skipt dinner one night because we couldn't fit another thing in!!! What they call the Fish Market on a Sunday is fantastic the fish is cooked to perfection, I don't think I have ever tasted Grouper quite so excellent. The steak is some of the best I have ever tasted!!!

The staff are probably the best that I have ever come across and I have traveled to Mexico once before and Maldives, India and Cuba along with other places. They can't do enough for you there were gardners who keep the gardens perfect it even looked like they were disinfecting the paths everything was spotless. We have to mention Lucy and Ana our very lovely waitresses on the beach they work so very hard and alway have a smile and a laugh. And to Raphael in the Mexican restaurant and Santiago our very own Waiter for our wonderful honeymoon romantice meal on the beach who were fantastic.

Pablo the First Choice Rep was amazing he was the friendliest most approachable Rep i think we have ever encountered.

One thing that is really a gripe with me and that is manners these people work very hard at making your holiday special so please use your manners they don't cost a thing and go a long way, these people are not our slaves and I really had to bit my lip in some cases.

I could go on but I think that will do I just would like to say that we have stayed in Mexico before in the same area but a bigger hotel, but we will be going back to EDSS for an anniversary at some point in our married life.

Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2010

My new husband and I stayed at this hotel for 1 week from 24th August for our honeymoon and it was an overall wonderful experience.

We deliberately looked for somewhere that seemed fairly remote, couples orientated, five star, all inclusive and completely relaxing, and we were not disappointed.

We flew from East Midlands to Cancun (10 hour flight with First Choice - pretty good, I pre-bought a bottle of champagne to surprise the new hubby, great food, irritated that you had to pay an upgrade to watch most films - we didn't bother)

Transfer was shorter than expected - about 1hr 10min in a very comfortable coach with air con (although took longer going back due to traffic - was nearly 1hr 40min - although still plenty of time to catch plane). On arrival we checked in over a glass of champagne before being whisked to our room on a golf cart. Our bags were delivered separately a couple of minutes later.

I would thoroughly recommend going to the welcome meeting if you travel with First Choice - our rep Pablo was super - the meeting only took a few minutes, he didn't force excursions on us and he gave us some excellent tips about the way the hotel works - for example - he confirmed that the price we paid for the holiday included tips (apparently 10% of what we paid is put into a pot equally shared between all staff), so we didn't need to feel pressurised into tipping again unless we wanted to.

The room - we upgraded to a beach front room. The room was large - with a Jacuzzi bath and walk in shower that were both big, 2 sinks, and a bed about the size of a field - and quite high so little me had to jump on it! Very clean, very well decorated and furnished - the only thing that would have improved it would have been to have a dining table and chairs as we had room service a couple of times and it is difficult to eat sat on the sofa! We were very disappointed to find that a beach front room didn't have a view of the beach because of the palms, and we were going to ask to be moved when we realised that none of those rooms did! I think this is just because of the height the trees a currently at - in the brochure photos they are smaller so you could see - give it a few years and they'll have grown some more. It certainly wasn't enough to ruin our stay as we upgraded for the honeymoon package that came with it - but I think I would have been annoyed if we had paid the extra £200 specifically for the view which was non-existent. But you could hear the see, and who spends loads of time on the balcony anyway?

The beach - beautiful - lovely beach beds and plenty of shade, which we wanted. The sea was wonderfully warm - although more choppy further out than I would have expected. As such, there are large sand breakers and some of the sea is not safe to swim in. But it was very clear - at one point we did a free snorkelling trip arranged by the hotel and saw loads of fish including a ray.

The pools - 3 very different pools. The activities pool had music and a bar and was louder (although not really noisy). However we preferred the lap pool near the spa which was incredibly quiet and had lovely beach beds around it. There is also a pool with a bar where the swim-ups are - I'm not sure if a wedding party hung out here - but everyone seemed to know everyone else, and to be honest it was quite raucous the day we went there which wasn't really our cup of tea. I wouldn't say any of the pools are particularly breathtaking themselves, but the atmosphere around them is great.

The food - for us, this was the single biggest thing that made this hotel stand out from others. Although all inclusive - it's gourmet, so there are 6 different restaurants and you eat proper 2/3/4/5 course meals instead of a buffet. I have been to a number of all inclusive hotels, and you kind of know not to expect too much, but on this occasion, at every restaurant, we could have been eating at a top restaurant in London. The food was beautifully presented, varied, interesting and expertly cooked. There were plenty of veggie options, fish and meat. Our personal favourite restaurant was the Garden Grill which was beautifully romantic with excellent service. The Asian restaurant was also excellent - very contemporary. Room service came quickly and was fine - the pasta option was delicious.

Honeymoon package - lovely touch - on the first day our bed had a beautiful swan display and rose petals, and then there was a different display every day. We also had a bottle of champagne in the room on arrival, and a massage lesson (wonderful, we have tried it ourselves a few times since). We also got a candlelit dinner on the beach - lovely food, but it was very dark and a bit windy so it wasn't ideal, but it was nice as a one off.

Other highlights - there's a couple of other things we would like to mention - firstly, there's a lady who visits with a pottery stall where you can paint your own pottery and then they fire it in a kiln overnight before you get it. We got a lovely bowl and some wall art from there, painted ourselves, for very good prices and they are a lovely, personal memento. Also - the stars at night are incredible! Our most romantic moment was wandering onto the deserted beach about 11pm and just looking at the stars that took our breath away.

Any negatives? A couple of little things that mean overall I would probably have given this hotel 4.5 if it was possible on the ratings! Firstly, our jacuzzi was broken when we arrived - however, the speed at which they fixed it was superb. Secondly, we were badgered a couple of times a day by people from the spa trying to sell us a massage. When they discovered we were getting a free massage lesson we were constantly bombarded with the option to 'upgrade' for 'only' $68 each to a 50massage. We tried to explain that actually we just wanted the lesson so we could massage each other but we were still asked regularly as we lounged by the pool or on the beach. At times, to be honest, it was quite irritating - but I realise the staff at the spa rely on commission and so need to tout for business.

Overall - a wonderful experience and quality hotel and a week was not long enough to justify a very long flight. If we went back, we would go for at least 10 days, maybe a fortnight. Having checked the brochure again, it looks like prices have shot up for next year however, so not sure if we'll be going again for some time!

Lincoln U.K.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

I've tried to post twice b4, but didn't get anywhere, so hopefully this is 3rd time lucky.......

Got there after a long flight and coach journey, and was met with a very friendly welcome, cold cava and cold flannel. Lovely. We were taken to our room 3718 by golf cart and our cases brought up to us not 10 minutes later. Lovely room bigger than expected. Loads of hanging space and drawers. Huge shower room and lovely double sinks. The bed was huge, but the only problem was the plastic sheet on top of the mattress that made you sticky in the night, and also the hard pillows, i had them replaced for feather ones by the concierge, Fernando. The air con was rather noisy, it didn't matter in the day, but at night, i found it hard to sleep. If i woke and turned it off, at least we had the fan above the bed. Food and drinks/cocktails was amazing. Thanks to Luis at the small bar by the spa. All the restaurants were excellent, just one gripe. The Arrecifes was only open for breakfast and lunchtime, lovely food, but the air con needs to be sorted out. It was horrendously hot in there. Felt sorry for the poor waiters in there. Brenda was amazing. She always had a smile and always insisted on laying the napkin on our laps, bless her. We found the beach to be alot better than expected, due to some complaints about it on here. For one, it's not the hotels fault that there is a coral shingle instead of smooth white sand. It's called nature. Also, those sandbags aren't as horrific as some have mentioned on here either. They are there for a purpose, and if they ARE an eyesore, then you can always move futher down the beach and get a better view of the ocean/horizon ;-) The only problem with the beach for me wasn't the sand or sandbags, it was the Brits being up at the crack of dawn to lay their towels on the beds and loungers dead on 7am! It's a good job that the hotel was only half full, as there may have been a riot some days if it had! It was always the same ones who did it too. But we were able to get one somewhere along the beach, albeit not the same, but it did for us. It was just a bit further to the bar/restroom, otherwise we were happy. They should inforce some sort of organisation on the reservation of the beds to make it fair for all. The Azul Beach do, and it's half the size of the S/Suites. The beach BBq's don't have much variety, but you can always go to the Sandwicherie instead. In fact, i would've liked to have been able to have some sort of snack bar to get the odd sandwich, cookie, bowl of icecream or nacho's with melted cheese, than sit down for a lunch to be served to me. Just a suggestion ;-)
Hope this has helped, and if you are going there in the future, don't hesitate to send me a message with any queries you may have, other than that, enjoy !

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
johnstone
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

went to EDSS on 27th august 2010 for 2 weeks. this was our 2nd time here being there on 19th july 2008 for 2 weeks. the place is fantastic with a few changes since the last time we were there. the hammocks have been removed from lap pool (relocated next to one of the swim up bars) and replaced with a soft seat lounge area. a few other changes for the better too. the food was fantastic with the Klay Tlay and Italian our favourite and the Mexican our least. this is just only our taste. a bit disappointed the Vida was closed for breakfast as this was our favourite last time but can understand as resort was only 50% occupancy. great to see Estella and Lucy again who serve drinks on beach and pool. Luis the lap pool afternoon barman was great and when he moved to mexican resteraunt bar at night popped in and seen him for a few drinks.really good guy. also got to mention Brenda who showed us to our table every breakfast. only one complaint was that on first night standing at lap pool bar having a drink before going for dinner, was approached by head waiter and told i would not get served in any resteraunts as i was not wearing a collared top. ( had t shirt on). had to go back to room and put a shirt on, no problem. a week later we were eating in mexican resteraunt and about 14 people came in with 6 guys wearing vests and t shirts and got shown to tables by same head waiter. double standards. after our meal i approached head waiter and asked why no way for me and yes way for them. no answer. it was only a small issue and only complaint on whole holiday. already left a review last time so this is just an update. will definatelly be going back to this marvelous resort.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

After having visited the Caribbean many times, my partner and I decided to try Mexico (I had been before but about 10 years ago before the tourist boom!) We researched A LOT, and settled on the El Dorado Seaside Suites because it was 5 star, had a la carte dining and no children - best decision we could have made!

There do seem to be a number a negative reviews on here about this hotel, but we honestly can't understand where they have come from - it's like reading about a different hotel! I'll try and focus on the parts we look into before we choose a hotel...

Transfer and check in.
Comfortable bus from the airport, about an hour - nice chance to see what's around before arriving at the hotel. Check in was very smooth - champagne and cold towel very appreciated!

Room
The room is always what is the deciding factor for me for picking a hotel and these rooms are AMAZING!! We had room number 2616, an ocean front suite and, yes, you can't really see the sea due to the palm trees, it is still on the ocean front! You can hear the sea and it takes literally 2 mins to step on to the beach. Plus the palm trees keep the balcony shady and give some privacy so a bonus in my view! The rooms were much bigger than I thought they would be with steps down into a living area with a jacuzzi that we used every day! Bathroom is big with twin sinks, walk in shower and fab air con. Bed was also massive and really comfy. Very impressed with number of tv channels, usually there are only 1 or 2 that are English speaking. We watched a movie every evening before going out to dinner!

Fed up of the hustle and bustle of buffets, we liked the fact that going out to dinner here was always an experience. I'd read that some people had trouble being seated or that the food took ages - not in our experience. We were always immediately seated and dinner would take between 1-2 hours in all, as it would if we were going out to dinner at home. All the restaurants were delicious but we particularly liked the Mexican and the Italian.

We have never experienced service like it - absolutely fantastic from the waiters, to the concierge. In particular we would like to thank David who always served us in Arricifes at breakfast and lunch - such a polite, welcoming, fab waiter!

Pool and beach
There was a definite divide whilst we were there - louder pool was the activities pool and the quieter was the spa pool. We preferred the spa pool as we like to laze around and read but both were very clean and well kept. Sunbeds are amazingly comfy and never once did we have a problem getting one. The larger sun 'beds' were actually not that great for tanning so we always took a lounger! The beach is beautiful, a little harsh on the feet, but it's coral - what do you expect?! Besides, it was great exfoliation!!

Activities and tours
We did the snorkle tour and kayak tour - both of which were really fun. The guys down on the beach activities area are really friendly and very helpful. Would also recommend the couples massage on the beach - lovely!
We went on trips to Coba, Swimming with sea turtles and Cenote swimming (AMAZING!!), Xcaret and the trip to Cozumel. Go to Cozumel if you want tax free diamonds - my partner took me into a shop there and surprised me by buying me a huge engagement ring! :-)

Overall, this place is fantastic if you are looking for a relaxing, luxurious romantic holiday. On hearing about this holiday my parents are booking up a stay here and we will definitely be going back for one of our anniversaries! It really couldn't have been better!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Highlands Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

We travelled here having been to Mexico twice before and stayed at the Cancun Palace in Cancun. That was an amazing hotel however we decided to bite the bullet and try somewhere else and we were not disappointed.
Smooth flights from Gatwick and the transfer was just over an hour.
We were met with champagne and cool towels and then transported to out room by golf buggy.
Huge rooms, double jacuzzi, balcony. They are described as Ocean front rather than Ocean view as there are lots of plam trees for shade infront of the apartments so your can hear the sea but can't actually see it.
We tipped housekeeping on the first day and as a result we had the best towel art ever! this was hilarious and well worth the tip!
This is quite a small complex and it never seemed busy. Vast choice of places to sit in the sun during the day , most people chose the beach which has beautiful white soft sand and shallow sea with lots of fish which tickle your legs. Great for snorkelling. There was a choice of sunbeds or beach beds which resembled a wooden 4 poster bed.
We often sat next to the beach activities hut as the boys there provided great entertainment.
food- again huge choice, breakfast was either at the International restaurant or outside it. waiter service only which is one of my only criticisms as I think it is better to have buffet style when you can help yourself to either healthy fruit cereal etc of have a cooked breakfast. try the french toast with cheese foam- sounds weird but is superb.
Lunch again had a huge choice and they had a ' gourment experience' each day , either fresh fish, paella, BBQ etc.
great waiter service on the beach and at 11 am each day trolley with champagne with fresh fruit in it, affectionately known as lava lamps!
Choice for dinner - Asian restaurant, lovely sushi etc Although they struggled to accommodate a table for 8 one night when we tried to dine with friend we had met there, also they wouldn;t allow a take away sushi saying it was ' dangerous'
Mexican- great fajitas
Italian, this is ' posh italian' they could have done with a pizza / pasta section aswell.
Vida- nice steak although the lamb sphere is interesting although not sure I would have it again.
Our only bad dining experience was in the International restaurant, dodgy steak , very tough and eventually left without eating it.
Vast choice of entertainment, fire eaters, shows etc.
Spa is very nice and the staff come along the beach to attract business, they will give you a free 10 min massage on your sunlounger which is lovely.
we met a fabulous crowd of people while there, 2 of whom were getting married, their wedding was beautifully done and a day to remember.
We organised a trip to tulum and Coba through the boys at the activities hut on the beach. This was great as we were collected from the hotel taken straight to tulum where we had a short guided tour, we were then taken to Coba- there were only 2 of us on this trip. so we had a personal guide round Coba, climbed the pyramid, and then had an hour at the Paradise Beach which was great for a cool beer and watching the kite surfers.
we had been to Chitchen Itza before and this tour met our requirements and was very reasonably priced given we had the guide to ourselves.
Overall this was one of the best holidays I have been on , if I was to be very picky they could do with a buffet option at breakfast and more snack options for during the day as in the heat I don't often want a large lunch. The restaurants are very much set up for couples and so when we wanted to dine as a group they struggled to accommodate us also the asian could have been slightly more flexible and allowed a take away option. Room Service menu was pretty limited.
The food at the Cancun palace was better but the beach setting for the el Dorado Seaside Suites is wonderful.
I am glad I have been here.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, EDS Representative at El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma, responded to this review, September 13, 2010
To Our Valued Guest,

I am thrilled to hear that your stay at El Dorado Seaside Suites ranks as one of the best holidays you have been on.

We are honored to have been able to host your vacation stay at our resort and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

On behalf of El Dorado Seaside Suites, we’d like to thank you for choosing to stay at our resort; it is because of guests like you that we continue to remain the #1 hotel in the Puerto Aventuras area on Trip Advisor.

All the best!

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!