“Travel Agent Fam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 30%
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Travel Agent Fam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2005

I went on a travel agent fam trip to Riviera Maya Dec 17-21 and the Seaside was my absolute favorite, even stacked against the Royale. It is intimate, quiet and much smaller than the sprawling mega resorts that have been built along the Riviera Maya. Too bad most of them are not like this.

I especially enjoyed the open air feeling of the lounge area with the bar and DJ booth that you have to climb a ladder to get to. I didn't encounter any blaring music from loudspeakers. The food was excellent and prepared with a personal touch. They also serve tamarind margaritas with cayenne pepper on the rim (a must try!) Next door is the Hidden Beach Au Naturel Resort.

I believe because of this the Seaside tries to keep their image low key and low profile, and with it being adults only it is really a great place to spend a relaxing vacation away from all the noisy crowded resorts. And no buffet lines!

To keep up with cuisine trends, they will open a fondue restaurant sometime in Spring 2006. All of the meals, from appetizers to desserts, will be served fondue style. They also have an excellent Asian restaurant with private dining rooms (min 4 people to reserve) and you can actually take your shoes off to eat! They have an excellent spa, with the opportunity to get an oceanfront massage at night.

I was very impressed with their recovery efforts after Wilma. Since they are so close to the beach they took a direct hit. It took 1400 people 17 days to get the place back up and running, and you can tell they have done a tremendous job. If you like to be wined and dined, this is the place for you. I will have no hesitation in sending clients there.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,490)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2005

We were very pleased with this this property.If you prefer peace and quiet for your vacation then this is the property for you. Overall this property is wonderful.The ambience is tranquil and very relaxing.We loved that is was an "Adult's only" resort,what a difference without children.
The staff was extremely service oriented.The food was delicious. The beach beds are a great place to relax.
We will definately be back to this property.

Round Rock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2005

Just got back from EDSS and I must say, I do not know what planet all the people are from who posted those hate replies, but EDSS is nothing like those terrible reviews. No crying guests, no power outages, no low water preasure, nothing but shear joy.

When we first arrived we where greated by no less that half a dozen smiling faces with people ready to help you. My husband and I traveled with a friend. When we got there his room was ready but our room was not ready yet and they could not appologize enough. Being accustomed to the American treatment of, "Oh well, check back in 3 hours and we will see then" it was shocking to have people constantly appologizing.

When our room was ready, we ventured down to a wonderful ocean view room with a full bubble bath ready and waiting for us. The room was great, but I requested a change since it was both a 1st floor room, I hate the 1st floor, and close to the bar. I didnt want to be that close to people for a week. That night they did not have any available rooms but the moved us the next morning to one of the new 3-story buildings. We moved to room 3524 and it was absolutely amazing. Set back off the beach but with a great ocean view from our 3rd story room, it was just what I wanted. These new rooms are also a bit larger with larger garden jacuzzi tubs.

The hotel staff was amazing. Always ready to help you any way they could. I wish I where not so terrible with names or I would rattle them all off for you. But alas, with age my memory is fading. The beach was not "rocky" but there are chunks of coral that do wash up onto the beach, since the Wilma did a number on the reef there. Every morning the grounds crew is out cleaning up the sea weed that washes ashore over night and picking up any large clumps of coral that wash ashore.

All of the restaurants are wonderful. Our fave was Klay Talay, the Asian restaurant. I had the Tuna sushi and it was to die for. I generally can not keep down any raw meat dish, but this Tuna was so fresh and so well prepaired that I would have sworn it was cooked. I do not know who said the portion sizes where to small, they are not. They are the perfect size. We Americans are accustomed to sitting down to a plate of food at the restaurant that should feed 4 people. I always found myself struggling to finish all of my food.

Well, I have rambled on enough so I will go now. Let me leave with these parting words, do not fear the resort due to the bad reviews it recieves. I can only assume that these are people who expect to be treated like demi-Gods by the locals. If you go down there with the God complex, they are going to let you know it is not appreciated. Treat them like you treat someone at home and they will go out of their way to make your trip a pleasure.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2005

Went to the Eldorado for a late honeymoon/anniversary and it ended up being more of a headache than a vacation. Where to start...Got to the hotel about 11:00am and were informed about the 3:00pm check-in. We left our luggage behind the counter and walked around the resort and ate lunch. Returned to the Front office about 2:30pm and inquired about our room and were told 3:00pm..."come back in 30 minutes"..Ok. Returned in 30min...."The Room is not ready. Come back in 30min"..again and again.. We finally got a room at 6:00pm....although it was not the room we reserved. "We will get you into the proper room tomorrow and compensate you for your trouble." The next morning came around and we started inquiring about our room about 12:00...seems we we're not the only ones that had problems. There was one man that was asked to leave the resort by the manager because he had spent the last two days trying to get his proper room. He was a little mad. I was booked for two weeks so I could let a day go by....so I thought. The response I go was "Please check in 30min."....See above...We finally got into a different room about 5:00pm. Day1, Day2, Day3, Day4, Day5.....problems(sometimes no water, sometimes no electricity, sometimes no Air Conditioning, no hot water to fill our Jacuzzi tub ever, no TV ever, problems with the electrical plugs)in short, there was some kind of problem every day. We finally talked to the manager again and stated our displeasure with his resort and if there were any more problems we would like to leave only to return to a room with no electricity. We talked our Lomas represative and tried to get a flight the next day. They offered to move us, but by this time we were ready to leave. I was tired of hearing alot of excuses and it everyting will be better tomorrow crap. Upon checking out early they wanted us to sign a waiver that we were leaving on our own accord and not for any reason of the resort's. HA! HA! Upon arriving back in the states from a early return the saga continues to get a refund back from the travel agency/Fun-Jet/Lomas. After 6 weeks we finally got back our "7 unused nights and 1 night for disservice" What about our 5 nights in a sub-standard room that was worse than any hotel I have stayed in the States that was billed as 5-star resort? What about the wasting of my 5 days of vacation? In all fairness I talked to people that had a great time and no problems. I was not one of those people. I would go back if the manager was changed..(everything in quotes was from Rafael). The Travel agencies should also stand behind their customers and maintain their rating system. If you say it's a 5-star....I paid for a 5-star...It should be a 5-star and if it's not give me my money back. Thank you for listening to my rant.
P.S. For everyone that hasn't seen someone crying in the lobby, I've seen more than one person.

• Stayed October 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2005

This place was the best place we ever stayed at. Right off the beach we viewed a sting ray and 3 baricudas between 3 and 5 feet long and a lobster. The food was supberb as was the service by everyone. Even the gift shop people were so accomodating. It was a trip we will never ever forget and we will be back next year. Absolutely no regrets at all. It was heaven.

ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2005

This was our first visit to the E.D.S.S., and we can't say enough nice things about it. I, like alot of people, checked the reviews almost daily. I was alittle worried when I read some of them. Please let me tell you that if you are going there, you have nothing to worry about. We had fantastic service and wonderful food, our room was excellent (exactly what we asked for). Just as an example of our great stay, we ate at the Mexican restaurant a few times, and on our last night they seated us outside between the beach and pool, the night was beautiful and we recieved an extra special meal. All of this was a surpise to us, since we were not celebrating anything special. We will definetely go back next year. If you want any specifics I'd be glad to help, just e-mail me.

Troy Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2005

All I can say is our trip was FANTASTIC!!! Who ever wrote anything negative about this property needs to have their head examined.We could not have been more pampered.The grounds were beautiful.The food was great.We had tons of hot water.People couldn't move fast enough to fix a problem or help you.The pools were beautiful.Our room was spotless and always well stocked(Especially with towels)We had a treat delivered to our room everyday from our housekeeper.The only problem we encountered was with the tour desk.They tried to con us into a tour just so we could get the free shutttle to Playa Del Carmen.I wrote to Funjet about that.Like I said earlier FANTASTIC!!!!

• Stayed December 2005

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!