“Can't recommend EDSS enough!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
21%Off+$150 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Ireland
“Can't recommend EDSS enough!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

I stayed in El Dorado Seaside Suites in July 2008, but never got around to writing a review - but I just had to when I realised people are STILL giving poor reviews of such a fabulous resort!

My 2 weeks in the El Dorado Seaside Suites were probably the most fantastic 2 weeks of my life!

Like many others, I read the reviews of EDSS before I went on my holidays, and was apprehensive about where we were going. I cannot understand how anybody could find a fault with this place! It was SUPERB!!!

We flew with First Choice from London and I would recommend upgrading to Premier Class. It was a lovely start to our holiday. Extra legroom, comfy seats, great entertainment and the 1st taste of champagne…..plenty to follow once we arrived at EDSS!

The journey from the airport to EDSS was the only downer….lots of drop-off en-route, but that was soon forgotten when we arrived……greeted by champagne and a refreshing towel while we were checked-in and then brought to our room by kart. First impressions….wow! 1st class staff, beautiful gardens, everything so luxurious.

We booked the swim-up suite and I would highly recommend paying a little more for them. We travelled with another couple and asked for our rooms near each other. We were next door which was brilliant as we could all relax in the pool together. We went to the beach the 1st few days, but spent nearly all of the 2nd week by the pool. Also, some days when the sun was very hot, my fiancee could nip into the room for half an hour and watch a bit of telly (fab channels) and come back out to us then.

The rooms were gorgeous. Massive 4 poster bed, Jacuzzi for 2, great telly, big shower……I read some reviews of the water running cold in the showers - it does go a little cold for a few seconds every now and then but, as was explained to me, the water is heated by solar power and this happens sometimes. Stand back for 5 seconds and it gets warm again!!!

Aside from the pool on out doorstep, the restaurants were our favourite thing about EDSS. 5 fantastic restaurants. We loved Vida the most, but all the others were delicious too. Lydia in Vida was an excellent hostess. The staff always remembered you and were so professional. Your glass was never empty and they cannot do enough for you. The food in all restaurants was 5 star. We ate out most mornings and evenings and had room service for lunch. (Go to Vida for the French Toast in the morning and the brie in the evening.) We also had the candlelight dinner on the beach which was lovely.
During the afternoon, they come to you sun lounger with rolls and sandwiches. Even the taco cart that comes around the pools was fab!

There was a great choice of bars, from the quiet swim-up bars by our rooms to the busier bars down by the beach and restaurants. Like everything else in EDSS, there’s one for everybody’s taste. And the bar staff can’t do enough for you….or pour enough for you!!!! We were half a minute's swim from a bar, and the waitresses STILL came and took our orders! So nice!

The beach was really lovely. We had jelly-shoes for walking in the water as it was a bit stoney, but not so bad that you couldn’t go in bare-foot. The water was lovely. Definitely avail of the snorkelling masks at the resort….the fish are SO beautiful. Kayaks were also fun. We never used the gym or the tennis courts….too much like hard work! The beach beds were very comfy. They weren’t available every day, but that’s to be expected.

Night-time entertainment was very good. Something different every night - casino nights, caberet, discos, karaoke. There was a menu on display of what was on every night that week, so you could plan ahead.

Overall, an absolutely superb holiday at a top-class gourmet all-inclusive resort. We fully intend to return in 2011 for our 1st wedding anniversary! And the couple who joined us originally are joining us as it will be their 3rd wedding anniversary. After all the talking we have done about EDSS since, I’d say we’ll have a chartered flight full of tag-alongs!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,257)
  • Polish first
Bath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2009

We stayed at the El Dorado Seaside Suites from 25/09/08 - 09/10/08. We had the most amazing time it was like staying in Paradise! The staff were so friendly and help especially William at the Pool Bar in the evening! The food was amazing, so much so I put on half a stone whilst staying there. But worth it for every mouthful!! We were spoilt for choice as to where to eat each night! Our room was the cleanest I have ever stayed in, the bathroom was lovely and the jacuzzi was an added bonus! We were warned about building works whilst we were there and offered the option to move to a different hotel! I am so glad we chose not too and this was not at all interuption on our honeymoon. We had a wonderful honeymoon and did not want to leave. We hope to return again soon. Highgly recommended!!!!

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

We stayed at the El Dorado Seaside suites from 26th April 09 for 2 weeks for our honeymoon (we just made it before they stopped all flights). When we first got to the resort we where welcomed with welcome drink and then taken to our room in a mini cart. We booked the swim up room as a treat for our honeymoon and its was well worth the money, it was so nice to be able to relax outside our own room and be able to swim to the swim up bar for a cocktail.

There where six restaurants to choose from and they where all really nice, my favourites where the italian and Vida Garden grill. The food was excellent quality as was the service in each restaurant, i didn't have a bad meal the whole time. We where made to feel special each time we ate, even when we went for breakfast or lunch we where made to feel special. We had a candle lit dinner on the beach one night which was amazing, it was so romantic. If you are feeling lazy and dont want to leave your room, then just order room service, we done that a couple of times and it was great.

The cocktails where great, my favourite was the eldorado, which isn't on the menu so you just need to ask for it. The beer is really nice as well and its quite easy to get drunk in the day sitting at the swing bar which was just brilliant.

They have a chill out pool with a smaller swing bar which was really nice and relaxing. If you wanted a bit more noice there is the main pool which has music on all day and activities, not that we spent much time there as we had the swim up room and wanted to make the most of it.

The beach is really nice and the water is so lovely, its like getting in to a warm bath and you can go snorkelling there as well. You just walk into the water and fish swim around your feet. We read that you have to get up really early to get beds but as the resort wasn't full we never seen the beach full. The resort wasn't full because they had cancelled all flights from Britain and Canada because of the flu so we where really lucky to be there. The hotel kept us updated on the situation so it didn't really affect us at all.

If you are going to do a day trip i would reccomend Xel-Ha, its about 20 minutes away. It has amazing snorkelling there. Its a gorgeous place and the views are stunnning. The are really big lizards everywhere. They where on the resort as well.

All of the staff are amazing on the resort, you dont have to tip but we did because the service was so good but they didn;t expect it.

The grounds of this resort are really well kept and everyday the whole resort is always being cleaned and the gardens being looked after.

I would definately reccommend this resort if you want to get spoilt and made to feel special every day. I really cant fault it and find it hard to beleive that other people can. I will definately be going back in the future.

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

Though the drive from the airport to the resort was around an hour, I realized upon arrival the journey was worth every minute. When we turned off the road toward the ocean, we came upon a secluded little paradise away from all the hustle bustle of Cancun and the highway.

I fell in LOVE with El Dorado Seaside from the moment we stepped foot into the lobby. It was beautiful, clean, and exuded friendliness and relaxation. We were greeted with champagne when we checked in, and our marble-floored room was beautiful, clean and air-conditioned. We had a 2nd floor junior jacuzzi suite that had plenty of space for being called "junior" with a view of the gardens and the ocean.

The food in Vida, La Carreta, Mia Casa, and Klay Talay was mind-blowingly good. I didn't feel like they ever compromised the quality of the food to save money, especially since most of the restaurants were a la carte--no cheap buffet-quality food!

The Sandwicherie was the only restaurant that I felt was only okay, but that was only because it is "pub-grub" or family-style food that you could get anywhere in North America, and I like to try new things when I travel. HOWEVER, tt was great that it was open all day because if you were hungry during the weird hours when all the other restos were closed, you could still eat.

The room service was also only okay (mostly because it too was supplied by the Sandwicherie) and it took a while to get there. HOWEVER, the quality of food and speed of arrival were forgivable because we ordered really late--around midnight--and in such a beautiful place, who would prefer to sit in their room to eat dinner at dinnertime? Room service should be a last resort, in my opinion.

The staff was not only friendly, but they were SINCERELY friendly, which makes all the difference. This was right down to the maintenance crew who said "hola!" when you walked past them.

The grounds were perfectly manicured, there were many palm trees providing shade and it didn't feel like a concrete compound. Because it was adults-only, there weren't a bunch of screaming kids running around, which means it was a wonderfully quiet resort where you could relax anywhere. There were several pools to choose from, meaning you could swim with an ocean view, a garden view, etc.

There was entertainment and activities going on throughout the day and every night, but we didn't partake of any of them because we were more interested in relaxing, or traveling into Tulum, or Playa del Carmen, but I when I return this year with my mom, I will definitely take part in these. While El Dorado Seaside is a resort geared a bit more toward couples, I met sisters and cousins there, and would feel totally comfortable taking my mom on vacation there.

I feel like this review isn't doing El Dorado Seaside the justice it deserves - it was such a wonderful experience and I've been dreaming about going back. My complaints were minor, and more like personal food preferences...and were 99.9% erased by the fact that the place and staff were so excellent.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Upstate NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2009

We just returned from staying at the Seaside Suites. I often have some apprehension about whether or not a certain place I'm staying will meet my expectations but in the case of seaside suites everything was better and nicer than I could have hoped for.
Upon arrival we were greeted with champagne and a quick and easy check-in followed by a golf cart ride to our suite.
The suite was fantastic. We went with an oceanfront room. The patio opened out on to the ocean and beach. It was a short walk from our room to the beach.
We would wake up and stroll down to the beach where we picked out the beach bed for the day. Some reviews were saying that it was a mad scramble for the bed but we didn't find this to be the case at all. The hotel was around 65% capacity so this may have something to do with it. In any case, it was totally hassle-free.
As a matter of fact, the entire resort made everything hassle-free. The service was wonderful. Everyone was very nice and friendly but not in the "I'm only nice to you because I have to be" way. It was truely genuine. It really highlighted our trip.
The beach is great. Nice and sandy. There are spots to swim without watershoes but if you want to walk out far by all means bring some.
The snorkeling was good. A lot of the coral is dead but still intact and there is lots of artificial reefs (erosion control/breakwalls). The fish life was very good. I enjoy snorkelling and went out everyday. It's certainly isn't the type of snokelling you might get at Cozumel or say Key Largo but to have access just off the beach to lots of marine life was very, very nice.
Restaurants: My girlfriend is in the high end restaurant biz and we both consider ourselves to be "foodies" and somewhat discriminating without being snobby about it. So we were quite pleased with the food. One nice thing was ordering ala carte. We didn't have that buffet pig-out experience which was good. The portions were quite manageable. If you are still hungry, order some more or get 2 apps. Some of the food wasn't the greatest but overall I would say we were very happy with the meals we had.
Best & Least favorites:
best: service, friendlyness of staff, beach and beach beds, landscaping, comfy beds, size of resort.
Least: All of the brain freezes we got from drinking frozen, blended drinks....thanks to Elmer at the swim-up bar near our suite!!!
In a nut shell.....I will be returning to this resort and would recommend it to anyone unless you are looking for a larger, busier party-type reort.

Rochester, Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2009

We had a week at the hotel to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary and booked with First Choice. (The leg room on the flight was so much better than 4 years ago when we went to Dominican Republic and vowed never to do long haul again if we had to fly on such a terribly cramped plane.)

The resort is beautifully maintained and never feels crowded. The gardens are immaculate and lovely to walk around.We had to wait for a restaurant (the Italian) only once but sat in the nearby swing bar (lovee the swing bars) for about 10 minutes until we had a call to say our table was ready.
We tried all the resurants except the Mexican – my husband preffered Klay Talay (Asian) but I preferred the Italian. We often ate at the grill for lunch. As it’s all inclusive many people took advantage of trying more than one of each course. The portions are quite small but perfectly adequate when you are having 3 courses (or sometimes 5 as my husband did). We sat in the same spot every morning – outside overlooking the ocean for breakfast– a perfect way to start the day. We watched the birds steal the sugar sachets and poke their beaks in to get the sugar out as we ate. We used the room service (very good) only once as there was so much to try in the restaurants.

The room was better in reality than we had expected from the brochure photos and we couldn’t fault the cleanliness or the arrangements in the room. We had room 3102 which was at the far end of the resort – an ocean view on the ground floor with a short stroll to the beach. We also had the benefit of being opposite the swim up bar for the block behind ours – very handy if you fancied a lager or a cocktail whilst you relaxed in the jacuzzi. Pure luxury. I did have a minor panic when we first arrived and the toilet wouldn’t flush at all but a call to reception resulted in someone knocking on the door to fix it within 5 minutes. We had no further problems and were very happy with the quick response.

Apart from the fantastic bed and jacuzzi there was a two seater sofa and a coffee table in the room as well as two chairs and a table outside our patio doors to relax on. We didn’t need to use the aircon though tried it out – very effective. The towel arrangements each day were fantastic – loved them. The shower was huge – could have accomodated 6 people. The only thing I was expecting to be provided that wasn’t was a shower cap – useful to know to bring your own. Although there was a tv we didn’t really watch it much.

The beach was slightly course sand but no problem to us. (If you’ve been to Folkstone it’s luxury!) There were fish swimming close to shore – knee deep water. There were also large bags (sand or concrete) in place all around the beach to act as breakers I presume (a bit ugly). We had wanted to kayak and snorkel at the end of the week but the weather turned very windy and it wouldn’t have been safe to go out. In fact that was the only downside to the holiday – the weather. It was fine at the start of the week but overcast and warm but very windy towards the end to the point it was uncomfortable to sit out. But – we had a lovely room. Yes – we found the same with the swing beds – towels on them all day with not a soul in sight but we always manged to get a lounger. Beware - we still managed to get a little burned though we weren’t in the sun for prolonged periods and were using factor 40! I normally don’t burn at all as my skin tans easily.

I felt very safe here – the security on the front gate was very strict. The staff were lovely – they were always cheerful and nothing was too much trouble. I felt the warmth and friendliness was very genuine unlike in some holiday resorts in other parts of the world.
The entertainment was pretty awful really – the best ones were where the staff arranged games that involved audience particiation (not mandatory). The fire show was a bit of an anticlimax. My biggest moan was the music. There were holidaymakers ranging from young couples and newly weds to those celebrating 25th and 40th Wedding anniversaries but the music was repetetive all day and would have been more suited to a funeral parlour. I wanted to gatecrash the wedding reception on the beach just to enjoy some of the music they were listening to! A relaxing holiday does not mean you want to be almost comatose. I suspect the lack of quality music in the bars was a very good reason why everyone seemed to go to bed early. Real shame.

Had a massage – was pleasant but very expensive for what it was. Could have had one at home cheaper. Went to Tulum – amazing setting – definitely worth going to. Went Playa Del Carmen – wouldn’t bother if I’d know though it was promoted as having fantastic shopping. It didn’t. Lovely to be in an all adult resort too.

All in all we had what we wanted – a relaxing time to recharge our batteries with good quality food in a lovely setting. No big complaints and very glad we went.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
CALGARY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

Arrived to find at 2 out of 5 restaurants closed which provided only 1 restaurant for breakfast and lunch for 7 days , each day at lunch they have a special feature but unless you are there at 12.30pm when restaurant opens they have run out by 1pm, when we asked why only answer was sorry we have run out of food. Resort advertises as adult only and quite setting, only problem is that at 9.45pm every night they have an outdoor night club that runs until 2 am and no matter where your room is ont he resort you can not slep until after 2am due to the noise level, funny thing is that no guests were at the night club only staff by still requests to turn down the music or better still turn off were dismissed by the staff. Beach area is not sand but coral and hard to walk on.
On the plus side the staff in most cases very friendly and helpful ,service in restaurants is slow but when on a holiday who is in an hurray.
This resort more like a 4 star than 5 star and is more suited to young couples looking for night life rather than a more muture couple looking for a peaceful setting and 5 star service.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!