“Excellent - my most favorite all inclusive ever” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Calgary
“Excellent - my most favorite all inclusive ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

We just returned from El Dorado Seaside and stayed Feb. 17-24 via Signature Vacations. We travel to 1-2 all inclusives in several locations per year and this was by far our favorite. We were targeting a more intimate, adults only resort and this met our every expectation. I will try to break down some of the features below.

Grounds: The surroundings are beautiful. Lush vegetation, flowers, and birds are everywhere for spectacular views. The resort is designed and laid out in such a way that no part of it ever feels crowded. I can't believe how secluded everything felt - it was perfect for a romantic getaway.

Rooms:
We were surprisingly upgraded to a swim up suite and LOVED it. We had initially requested beach front, but having seen how close the beach is to the back of the property, we didn't complain. The room was gorgeous and had all of the desired amenities. We did smell a faint sulphur smell by our door but it didn't creep into our room and there was a brochure explaining it's origin. I would HIGHLY recommend a swim up suite if you like to spend ANY time at the pool. The best room in our block was 3502 which had the largest patio in the pool to put your lounger right in and the most sun exposure. The only downside to the ground floor is that you can hear the neighbors above you - whether it's walking across the floor or having a jacuzzi, or taking a shower - you heard it loud and clear. If a bit of noise bothers you, consider asking for a room on the 3rd floor. To me, the swim up suite was worth the odd interruption.

Beach: Having been to several other hotels in the Mayan as well as trips to Cuba and Dominican, the beach was probably not as great as other resorts. However, the sand is nice enough to walk on and the ocean is easy to access for a quick dip. My hubby did some snorkelling right there and saw an Eagle Ray and lots of other fish. You could feed the fish right from the first few feet in. We never did rush to get a beach bed in the morning but managed to snag one on 4 of the 7 days just by walking by at the right time. We usually spent our mornings at the swim up suite and the afternoons on the beach.

You can walk to the next resort (Grand Palladium I believe) by walking to the right (if you're facing the ocean). It was about an hour walk there and back and helped us work off the wonderful food.

Restaurants/Food:
The food at this hotel was amazing. Our favorites were the Asian Klay Talay and the Italian. We also had FABULOUS beef tenderloin at the Garden Grill (La Vida). We usually ate breakfast and lunch in the sandwicherie (outdoor restaurant). If you like just plain bacon and eggs, you can order direct from the cook rather than ordering off the menu. The staff members were always willing to make modifications if you wanted something different. The wait staff are attentive and always efficient. Some of the best service we've ever had at an all inclusive.

We didn't partake in the room service but I hear it was good and quick. I did, however, order a bottle of champagne for our room for when we arrived. This was a nice treat and a surprise for my husband on our anniversary trip.

Tipping: As many other reviewers noted, this was the first time we didn't feel that our tipping made a difference in service....which is great. It takes the pressure off and you feel good about tipping the staff for a job well done.

Entertainment: We usually missed the evening entertainment as it started at 9:45 and we were usually back in our room resting by then (the sun tuckers you out)! We did see a great Mariachi band and a fire show and heard the live band was also excellent. We did wish there was more live music in different venues but wasn't a big deal.

Concierge: Our concierge was helpful when we didn't have a lock in our safe initially and to get the few items we needed (extra pillow, etc.). He did ask us to come see him for an "information session" but we never did go - knowing it was a timeshare pitch. It's not even that we wouldn't consider time share at some point in our lives but knowing it was a waste of time, we much preferred hanging out in the beautiful surroundings.

We didn't use the spa or the fitness centre so I can't comment on those. We did hear the massage treatments were good and cheaper than at home. There are several staff members dedicated to selling spa services but they are quite polite and if you say "no gracias", they don't bother you further.

We came to El Dorado Seaside for a quiet, romantic getaway and specifically targeted an adults only, smaller resort. This met our every wish. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and will likely try this or another Karisma hotel in the near future.

I hope I haven't forgotten anything - if you have any questions outside of what I've covered, feel free to send me a message.

Bon Voyage!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,424)
  • Polish first
Omaha, NE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

My husband and I headed to Seaside Suites for our honeymoon in September 2008. I am a big review reader and had read literally thousands of reviews on different resorts before picking this one. I did read some negative ones about Seaside Suites, but after my time there I can only imagine those were either people impossible to please or they encountered very isolated problems. My husband and I have traveled quite a bit, even lived in Europe for a time and did a lot of traveling there. I can honestly say this was one of the most relaxing, romantic vacations we've ever had. And what better for a honeymoon, right? The staff and service was great from day one.

ROOM: We stayed in a swim-up suite in building #41. The room was great, cleaned promptly and very well every day. The bed was comfortable, my only suggestion would be to get a room closer to the swim-up bar. Maybe building 40 or 39. We had requested through our travel agent to be in a room in buildings 38-41, and as you can see that request was granted.

FOOD/DRINKS: It was excellent. Our favorite restaurant was Vida. All the meals there were great and the best server we had during the whole trip was at that restaurant, although I can't remember his name. The eggs benedict with salmon was great. Every kind of cerviche they had there was great. The bar there was excellent. We also loved Klay Talay, the Asian restaurant. Sit outside if the weather's nice and it's not windy. We ate at Arrecifes several times for breakfast and lunch. It's a very close location to the beach. It had a buffet but we always ordered off the menu and the food was good. The swing bar by the beach was great and the bartenders there made very excellent drinks and were very nice. We did do the candlelit dinner on the beach because it was included in our honeymoon package. If it's included for you, do it. I would have been disappointed if I had paid for it. The service was impeccable, but the fondue was just ok. (I will say I'm not the biggest fondue fan though). It was also windy and the windbreaker around your table keeps you from seeing the beach and ocean. Next time I would skip it and eat at Vida. I have seen some comments complaining about the house wine. I am a big wine drinker and for what it was, I thought the house wine was just fine. I ordered it several times. Room service was also quick and good but a very limited menu.

BEACH: Yes, it is not the beach you would find in the Carribean and maybe even some other Mexican resorts. But it never bothered us once. Nor did the "whales" in the water to help repair the beach. There was enough beach for us to walk along and we went into the water many times. We also took a nice long walk off the property down the public beach to the south (I think). On the public beach there was some trash that had washed ashore, but the long walk was still nice. I am NOT an early riser and did not make my husband become one, and we still found a beach bed almost every day. If not, we laid on a chair. Yes, some people are rude and leave their book or towel on a bed all day long and never use it, but we didn't let that bother us. We also snorkeled off the beach. It was my husband's first time snorkeling and he loved it.

EXCURSIONS: We did go into Playa del Carmen one day by taxi. Yes, it is a pricey taxi trip and there wasn't much to see or do in Playa del Carmen. I just wanted to go into town for some souveniers. There are a lot of those there. But other than that, I wouldn't waste your money. Stay on the beach for those extra hours. We also did an adventure tour through All tour native. We booked it through the desk in the main lobby. IT WAS AWESOME! We did the tour to the Coba ruins which also included canoeing, ziplining, lunch and rapeling into a cenote. Worth every penny!! We had a great day. Just beware when they tell you not to take your camera because it might get wet. They assure you their photographer will take pics of you and you can buy them at the end. They were right, they did take good pics. But they were expensive to buy. I think it was $15 for each 5x7 or all the pics on a CD for $50. We opted for the CD but in hindsight, I wish I would have taken one or two disposable cameras instead. I don't think they ever would have gotten wet.

STAFF/SERVICE: Everyone at the resort was super nice. For the most part, our restaurant servers were quick and efficient, once or twice we got a slow one but that happens everywhere. The bartenders were also nice and made great drinks. The maids were very nice. In a swim-up suite you get a concierge. I can't remember the name of ours but he was very helpful and nice. We had one issue with the toilet running when we first got there. We let him know about it and then went to lunch. It was fixed by the time we got back. The ladies who checked us in and out were very quick and very nice.

Overall, if you want a relaxing, quiet vacation with good drinks and good food and a beautiful location - go to El Dorado Seaside Suites. The grounds are immaculate, the buildings are nice, everything is clean. We plan to go back for our 5 year anniversary, but wish we could go back every year. It was a fabulous honeymoon.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
beleafer
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2009

I have to admit we were a little disappointed with our recent stay at the El Dorado Seaside. We checked in late on Friday February 13, 2009 (at around midnight) for what we thought would be a nice romantic getaway. When we checked into our room it was really beautiful. HOWEVER, the light for the bathroom (which was right across from the bed) was on a sensor. Upon walking into the room this light went on but then would not go out. The switch to manually turn the light off was broken. We climbed into bed with this very bright light shinning right down on our bed. This was very annoying as we were very tired having been travelling all day to get there. We finally got to sleep to be awoken very early in the morning to construction type sounds. We got up, got ready and went out to investigate to find that they were digging up the sewer system in front of our block of units and the smell was HORRIBLE. We went to our tour orientation meeting to which our tour representative (Paul) indicated that if anyone was having problems with their room to let him know. We went to ask him if he could see if we could be moved to another room. He went and spoke to the front desk and they told him to have us come see them. We went and spoke to a girl (I think her name was Elizabeth?), she did not seem very interested in helping us (maybe because we are not the type of people who usually complain and we possibly should have gotten more upset) . Anyway, she informed us that she would not have a room until the following day unless we wanted to upgrade to a swim-up which would cost about $500 for the week! Forgive me if I am wrong but we paid alot of money for this resort and we are inconvenienced and we have to pay for a better room when they can not provide the room we paid for? Anyway, that is when we started to get a bit more upset then miraculously they found us a room. They provided us with an ocean front room which they advised us was an upgrade from our ocen view (which I don't get either if you have an ocean view room are you not facing the ocean?). Anyway, we just wanted to put it behind us and get on with our vacation. They told us to go back to our room pack up our bags and a bell boy would be there in 10 minutes to move us to the new room. We went back packed and waited and waited...........after about 45 minutes we called the front desk and 10 minutes later someone showed up to move us. So we spent a good portion of our Saturday (our first full day there) figuring out rooms. THEN, on sunday after coming back from the beach our room cards would not work. We went and spoke to Edgar at the Concierge office to find out what was going on! After talking to him and awaiting new cards (another wasted hour) . We expressed to Edgar that we were not impressed so far! He advised he would express this to his manager. The next day we received a notice under our door that we could receive a $150 voucher for the gift shop, or $150 towards day trips or $150 towards the spa and at the very bottom of the note it made reference to a dinner for some anniversary of something. If we were interested we needed to contact the concierge. We again went to talk to Edgar who informed us that "due to our inconvenience" he would increase it to $200 BUT to receive this we had to attend a meeting (time-share for the hotel) at 9:00 the next day. HOW IS THIS COMPENSATING US FOR OUR INCONVENIENCE??????? Plus, we later found out that almost everyone was invited to this and received the same $200 offer. Needless to say we declined. We again decided that we would just put it behind us and have a great time anyay. The food was great, Asumption at the swing bar was fantastic we tipped him $5 every night and I was never without a drink, as soon as one was almost finished he had another one in front of me. Fernando was also great very involved making sure everyone was having fun and talked to eveyone getting to know them. Gabriel was very nice and wore our Canadian flag proudly on his shirt everyday, when my boyfriend saw this he left him our Canadian Flag that we take with us on our trips. He was very thankful! The shows were fun and very entertaining as well. We met alot of very fun people who became friends and I hope we will continue to keep in touch. THEN, the day before we were to go home (Thursday) we received a note under our door informing us that our check out was noon the next day but if we wanted to extend the check out it would cost $10 an hour. Since our bus to the airport was not picking us up until 5:00 we decided that we would do this. We went to the front desk again and requested this, to be told sorry there were no rooms available (then why suggest it!!!!!) They told us we could book a courtesy room but we would only have access to it for 30 minutes and we were not allowed to book it until 9:00 am the next day! My boyfriend went at 7:30 am to book it and they did (so if we showed up at 9:00 I am sure they would have been booked up!). For all the great reviews we read before booking and their "supposed" great customer service we were very disappointed and will not return. Like I said we are not complainers we would have been happy with an apology or even a bottle of wine or some type of a gesture to indicate that they actually cared that we had been inconvenienced but we received NOTHING!!!!!!

If you decide to go I really hope your experience is better then ours.

New Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

My husband and I spent our 10th wedding anniversary at EDSSS and had an amazing time. This resort is beautiful, peaceful and totally relaxing. They have creating an ambiance of peace and rest down to a science.
We arrived just after check-in so we could immediately go to our room, which was a swim-up (4104). The swim-up idea really appealed to us when we booked the trip, but about a day into the vacation, I felt like we probably could have saved a little money by staying in another suite as we spent more time down at the beach. The pool isn't heated and the building blocked the afternoon sun, so I froze at our swim-up. We didn't have any toilet issues in our room, or bed was comfortable with generous sheeting, and the shower was great despite some reviews of it being "salt water".
The beach is great too. Yes, there are the big sand bags, which aren't unsightly, and this is simply to help stop the erosion that the breaking waves and tides cause. They have to do this to protect their investment! The sand was fine. I've read a ton of reviews about wearing water shoes, all that. If you've been to Florida beaches, it is the same white sand except with small, fine bits of coral. The sea floor as you walk out is somewhat rocky, but you can maneauver around it very easily especially since you can see the bottom. We were able to get a beach bed only 1 day but we were much happier in the loungers with the tiki umbrellas if we wanted shade.
The restaurants were "okay". We are not picky eaters; in fact we appreciate good food and enjoy trying new things. That said, we were suprised we didn't care for much there. The Mexican restaurant was our least favorite and maybe we are just used to Tex-Mex. I guess we expected Enchiladas, Chalupas, Fajitas, etc. We also expected more
"Italian" food at the Italian Restaurant (pastas, rissoto, etc). Suprisingly, our very favorite Restaurant was the Sandwicherie. We had lunch there everyday and I think I got a caeasar salad every single time. Just be sure and order something with the salad as it is very small; not your typical salads piled high. The atmosphere at the Sandwicherie is peaceful as well, with palm trees lapping over each other creating nice shade and a great breeze.
A few tips: we booked a private car through Lomas Travel to transport us from the airport to the resort. It cost us $150.00(US) but TOTALLY worth it. We were whisked away and got to the resort in an hour. We met several people who took a shuttle and it took them 3 hours b/c they had to drop people off at other resorts all along the way. And, we aren't sure if this is typical, but Lomas provided us a limo on the way back to the airport at the end of our stay, which was quite comfortable!
Also, if you go to Playa del Carmen for shopping, just have the bellman call you a taxi. It is only $20.00(US) and you get there in 20 minutes at most. We just had him drop us at 5th Avenue, the main shopping street. It was great and no shuttle that goes a maximum slow speed.
We didn't go on any of the other excursions as we do enough running around on our family vacations with the kids. We wanted to lay on the beach, read our books and do absolutely nothing. And this was the place! Overall, our trip was excellent and we look forward to going back in the future.

Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

The service here was fantastic. My wife has celiac disease and was very concerned about spending a week eating "restaurant food." After speaking with the concierge, we were able to meet with Alberto, the Food & Beverage manager. They emailed the chefs with our concerns and which restaurants we planned to eat in each day, and Gabriel or Alberto seemed to find us at our table wherever we were eating. Many thanks to the F&B management and chefs for being so gracious and accommodating!

Positives:
-The service in all areas (ie. reception, bar, cleaning, activities) was excellent.
-Everyone was very friendly and helpful
-Food was awesome. Everything was cooked and presented to perfection.
-Rooms were attractive, spacious, and well maintained.
-Very relaxing, quiet, low-key resort. It was definitely not aiming for over-the-top glamor, but rather a clean, pleasant, and homey experience. I think it worked well.
-The pool was plain and small, but I can't write this as a negative because it fit in well with the small, quiet nature of this resort. If you're looking for a big, active, glamorous pool scene, you won't find it here. But you will find Bingo and Tequila Jenga every afternoon!

Negatives:
-One big breakfast/lunch buffet would have been nice
-Waiting for a table for lunch often took a very long time
-The beach left something to be desired (see other reviews)
-Spa personnel peddling their services on the beach, although they were not aggressive and were really very courteous

In conclusion, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and the negative points were merely small inconveniences to us, far outweighed by the positives.

london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

We thought this place was great. It was very relaxing, the food was varied and lovely - we were stumped each night where to actually eat, it took us almost a week to get through all the restaurants, before being able to go back to our fav's. The resort was lovely, and the beds on the beach were fab, even if you had to get up a little earlier to get them. The only small draw back was some of the beach was a little rocky, and you couldnt access the sea on all parts of it. It didnt bother us though, we settled oursleves on the beach just in front of the pool, where we got a bed every day and if we needed a dip used the pool. In the end we were there for a much needed break and it was perfect for this!! There was some building works taking place to update some of the rooms, and while we were close to these, we werent disturbed, and they hid all the works very descretly, we certainly couldnt hear anything from the beach - and as you dont sit in your room all day, that was fine with us!!! We also loved the fact this was adults only, so we were totally relaxed, without having to hear the noise of hundreds of children screeming the place down!

We travelled with first choice, and was not aware if you didnt book & pay for seats togther on the plane you basically didnt get them - which i thought was a but of a con, as it didnt matter how early you checked, or that we were premier customers!! They do seem to try and get additional money out of you on the flight where ever possible!! but the flight was fine and the seats roomy, which was good.

We also did some trips to see the sights, and were most dispointed with these. Being reasonable seasoned travellers, we did feel we were bussed around like a bunch of sheep on these. Huge buses collected guests from hotels, to take us all to another hotel, where we all swaped buses before finally getting off. This meant we arived at all the sites in the midday sun, with 30 or so of us to 1 guide. This was our idea of a good tour at all. In hindsight we should have booked the 3-7 day tour, and then had 7 days at teh hotel after. We met a couple of peopel who did this, and they said the groups were small, tour guides great, and as they stayed close to the sights always got their early before the big crowds and midday sun. We would def do this instead if we had the chance. That would be our big tip!!

At the end of the day this holiday was exactly what we wanted and i would reccomend the hotel to anyone!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

This was our second time to this beautiful resort and we would absolutely return! It was 2006 when we were here last and that was before 100 extra rooms and 2 additional restaurants were built. I have to admit I preferred the more intimate, cozier feel when there were 200 less people here, but all in all we had a wonderful vacation and throughly enjoyed the service and amenities of this fabulous resort.
We never encountered any problems in our room except one day when our toilet seemed to stop working. We fiddled with it ourselves to no avail so we ended up calling someone to come and fix it. By the time he got there (about 2 hours after we called) the toilet miraculously began working again ... hmmm ... we felt a little silly after that. Anyway - we never experienced any problems after that with anything in our room.
Upon check-in we were greeted with a bottle of champagne in our room as we are repeat customers. That is a very nice touch but neither of us are sparkling wine drinkers so we ended up giving it away to a very nice couple we met on our last evening there.
The food was absolutely excellent ... we never once had a disappointing meal.
The staff is fantastic .... extremely friendly and very helpful ... whether it was at the restaurants, on the beach (love those beach butlers!), working the grounds or the concierge staff, we always encountered big smiles and friendly greetings. This resort gets an A+ for the staff alone!
On the beach we never got bothered by the spa people ... so I have no complaints whatsoever on the beach ... I agree with Too Lazy - some chairs are in need of repair.
The highlight in my opinion was feeding the fish ... they would literally rush up to you and start poking at your legs to see if you had anything to feed to them. Although I felt at times we only fattening up the fish for the pelicans, as they would stand watchfully by ... but that's nature I guess.
The one thing I would recommend is to get up early at least once - throw your towels on a couple of chairs and watch the sun come up - it's stunning!
All in all - a fabulous resort - the best staff - gourmet food ...
I came back feeling totally relaxed and to me - that's what a vacation is all about!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!