“Met Every Expectation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“Met Every Expectation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

I write this review quite a bit late and I apologize to the EDSS staff b/c I could not possibly say anything negative about this resort. I completely agree with the previous reviewer - how could anyone find their experience at this hotel negative?

This was the first time my g/f and I did an all inclusive trip.

Check in was amazing. The obligatory glass of champagne set a great tone for the stay. The grounds are incredibly beautiful. So beautiful, in fact, that my g/f had tears in her eyes during the golf cart ride to our room.

Our room was absolutely perfect. I highly HIGHLY recommend one of the swim up suites. I would prefer that to an ocean view room. The lazy river was great to wake up to every morning when all I had to do was open the sliding door and step into the water. And then when the mood hit I'd drift down to the swim up bar, which was a great place to meet other couples.

One thing I can never understand is when a review says the staff were unfriendly! How is that possible? Every single employee we met was incredibly pleasant and polite. I feel you must be a miserable person if you have a problem with the staff.

The food is difficult to comment on. I believe if you like gourmet food you will be pleased. I'm not the biggest fan of gourmet food but I did not have a problem with any of the restaurants. I'm more of a buffet guy and by no means a food expert.

I may be in the minority here, but I loved the beach. We never attempted to get a beach bed in the morning but were able to find them later in the day. I think the whole reserving a beach bed at 6am and not using it until the afternoon [--]. I think it's incredibly inconsiderate.

The water was beautiful and warm. I like how the beach is part of a little cove type area where the water is calm and very warm.

The whole atmosphere inside the resort is wonderful. It's incredibly relaxing. We never had a problem with excessive noise, especially since there are no kids. An adults-only resort is the way to go! We took one excursion to Xel-Ha for a day of snorkeling. That did not fit with the rest of our trip b/c there were so many kids there. I really did not enjoy that part of the trip.

Overall, an incredible experience that I'd recommend to anyone!

• Liked — adults-only resort, friendly staff, comfy rooms, relaxing atmosphere
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,454)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2009

We stayed here last year at the same time and, being completely knocked out by the hotel we didn't think they could improve it, but the have!
Work on the room improvements has now finished and they are fabulous! We had emailed in advance to ask if we could have a room in the same area as we had last year and we got the room next door, so we were in a great position to judge the difference. The room had a new marble floor, a sofa, a huge double washbasin area and a shower cubicle. All the furniture was new and all improvements seem to be to a very high standard. Was a bit gutted at the lack of a hammock on the terrace, but you can't have everything! Also, the coffeemaker is now kept in the big storage unit, which is fine, except that it's wired in through the back of this unit and the cable isn't vary long, so it's a bit hard to fill. Only other change for the worse was the lack of the breakfast card, which has now been replaced by room service menu only. This means no quesadillas for breakfast! But that's being a bit picky!
Can also give you a heads-up as to the new beach bed game. Yes, there is a guard on the beach until 7am to prevent people claiming beds before midnight(as happened last year) but the new trick is to get out there at 6am and sit on the bed til he leaves. Then, at 7.05am you can go back to your room and return many hours later. There were even some people who went out even earlier with their duvets and slept on the bed til 7-this is getting a bit silly. We walked the length of the beach most mornings at 7am and couldn't see a single unclaimed bed, although there were no people using any of them. Not entirely sure what else the hotel can do about this now, but if you really want to get up that early on holiday to play silly buggers, feel free. We gave up and went to the quiet pool instead, which was lovely and peaceful.
As ever, the staff are fabulous-special mention for Anades who kept our room spotless and full of marvellous towel art; Meche, our waiter at the Mexican, and Odulio, barman at Gaviota. On our final day as we were waiting to leave, there was some kind of company VIP visit and the staff were all waiting to greet them in the Lobby with a couple of bottles of Moet. Once they had gone Gabriel(am guessing manager of some kind) came round and handed out the rest of the bubbly to any guests sitting there-which made our coach trip to the airport a little more pleasant! It's these little things that make a big difference, and are the reason we'll be returning next year. Only staff i could have done with seeing less of were the Spa people. Don't know whether there are too many of them, or that they're not that busy because of the ridiculously expensive prices(i live in Edinburgh and treatments are even cheaper here!) but they seemed to be constantly wandering around trying to drum up business. On one day we were approached six times! They are quite happy to leave when you say no, but it gets a bit wearing after a while.
Just one sour note courtesy of First Choice, with whom we've been on a couple of holidays a year for the last few years with no problems. You are now required to pay a departure tax on leaving, which is NOT included in the cost of your holiday anymore. As we'd been here before we didn't go to the welcome meeting, so don't know if it was brought up there, but the first we knew of it was when we went to check out our pickup time for coming home and there is a page in the First Choice folder stating that from the 5th January it would cost you $53 each and it had to be paid in cash. It really slows up the queue for check-in at the airport and we saw several people who seemed to know nothing about it and had to be sent to an ATM machine to get some money. It's not exactly the sort of amount you have left over at the end of your stay, is it? I don't have any real problem in paying this if necessary, but do think First Choice could have written to let us know beforehand.
Am at home now in the snow and counting off the days til my next trip!

Winnipeg, MB
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

Hubby and I went to El Dorado Seaside to celebrate our anniversary. It is a beautiful resort and we can’t say enough good things about our vacation. We stayed the week of Jan 13 to 21st in a swim-up room in block 36. We are pool-lounging folk so having the swim up room was well worth it.

The rooms are nice and clean. The Jacuzzi tub is fantastic! Don’t bother bringing bath salts because there is lovely foam bath waiting for you in your room. The bathrooms are great with a large walk-in shower, separate toilet, and double sinks. We didn’t have any of the toilet or water temperature problems mentioned in previous posts.

Food and drinks are delicious and plentiful. If you like frozen drinks try the El Dorado Special, it is not on the drink menus but it is delicious! Room service is fantastic and quick. We ordered room service a few times and waited less than 20 minutes each time before the food arrived.

The resort itself is beautifully maintained and there was always staff grooming the gardens and cleaning up. The beach is great. We had no problem walking on the sand. The kayaks are a blast especially on days where the waves are big.

Personal concierges. Do make a point of going to visit them. They have an unlimited supply of towels and helpful information for traveling around the resort.
We did not hear about any time share sales, nor were we solicited to attend a time share meeting.

The reason we give this resort only 4 instead of 5 stars is that there is a bit of room for improvement. We did not receive the anniversary package despite requesting it. Our travel agent made sure the resort was aware and our concierge was aware of it. This obviously did not make or break the vacation, but it was an advertized perk and we did not receive it. The BIG reason we give this resort 4 instead of 5 stars is that our camera was stolen out of our room the first time we left our room. We locked everything important (wallets, $$, travel documents) in our safe as soon as we were given our room, but we were too tired to unpack before going out for dinner. When we returned our camera, which was deep inside one of our bags, was missing. I didn’t even think to lock it up since it wasn’t that nice of a camera (3 year old digital camera) but it was much better than the Kodak disposable I paid $30us for in the gift shop. So make sure you not only lock up your valuables, but lock up crappy cameras too!

Despite having our camera stolen, it was a fantastic vacation. We will definitely be back. I would recommend this resort to anyone looking for a relaxing, romantic vacation.

Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

Beautiful property, gorgeous grounds, tons of staff to take care of your every need, great restaurants, beautiful room with a whirlpool tub and super comfortable bed, what's not to like? If you are a swim in the ocean person the beach is a little rocky so you might want to take some swim shoes; however, I didn't bring any and I was fine. The activities staff works overtime to provide a fun experience, lots of activities to choose from to suit every interest. Our favorite restaurant by far was the Italian restaurant. The drinks are great. They don't require tipping but we brought $50 in ones with us so that we could tip our favorite waiters, bartenders, etc. We also left a dollar or two for the maid every day and as a result I got all the diet coke I wanted! I highly recommend this property!

• Liked — Everything but especially the grounds and the super attentive staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

We stayed at EDSS over New Year. We specifically wanted a relaxing holiday and were slightly apprehensive that, going at New Year, we would find the resort packed and noisy. The charm of this hotel is that it has such an intimate feel to it that even at peak time it feels uncrowded and your are well served by attentive staff.
The gourmet inclusive concept works really well, we were so impressed by the quality and variety of the food and by the ease of getting into our chosen restaurants. We only had at most a 20 minute wait (no hardship with a pager whilst at the bar) and that was when we wanted an outside table at the Italian restaurant .
The only area that this hotel disappoints is in the quality of the evening entertainment. It really was chronic, more like the offerings at an old peoples home! However, we didn't want party city and I suspect this is a cunning move by the hotel management to keep the party people at bay!
I would strongly recommend this hotel if you want the ease of all inclusive without sacrificing quality or intimacy.

• Liked — Professional and attentive staff
  • Disliked — Entertainment
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
S.C., Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2009

My Husband and I stayed at the El Dorado Seaside Resort for the week of January 24 - January 31.

I have read all of the reviews since my trip was booked last November, 2008. I have to say that I am not sure why so many of the reviews were questionalble or bad. Our stay at this resort was the most relaxing and enjoyable stay that we have ever been to. The staff was fantastic and always there to make your stay confortable. The food was "out of this world". There was nothing to complain about there. The resort was beautiful. The grounds were kept spectacular and the flowers are beautiful. The beach was a little bit rough, but we were still able to enjoy a nice romantic walk along the edge in the moonligjt. All in all I would recomend this resort to anyone who wants to be pampered and spoiled. I know I was, and my husband and I would go back in a heart beat. My hat tips to the resort and their staff. This was a vacation to remember. Thanks. LLG44

• Liked — Friendly staff, and warm and relaxing atmosphere!
  • Disliked — I have nothing bad to say about it!
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Caribbean
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in June 2008. I have to admit I was a bit nervous after reading mixed reviews, but luckily I did not need to be. We had a lovely stay! The customer service was wonderful - they took care of everything and seemed genuinely interested in making sure our stay was pleasant. We loved the beach beds and had no trouble getting one every day (we didn't have to get up a 7am to do this - as long as you're not too picky about where you are you can find a spot - even if you're not right on the biggest stretch of their beach, you're steps from the ocean anywhere you are). We found it very relaxing and didn't even have to get up for drinks, as their were always staff on the beach taking care of our orders. The food was great - I am a vegetarian and had no trouble finding nice selections at all of the restaurants. There were a couple of details that needed improvement in my opinion: first of all, my husband and I are non-smokers and sometimes it killed the environment on the beach when people around us were lighting up all day. I would suggest that the hotel designate at least a small area for non-smokers so we can enjoy the fresh ocean air without the second-hand smoke. Secondly, sometimes towels were not always available first thing in the morning on the beach and by the pool. Those are pretty small details compared the the overall good time we had. As long as people come with a relaxed mind, ready to rest and have fun, everything will be fine.

• Liked — Adults only - made the pool and beach scene quiet and relaxing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!