“Fantastic holiday in Mexico” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
40% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
esex
“Fantastic holiday in Mexico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

This is a fantastic holiday destination for couples. It is so relaxing. The staff are wonderful, so friendly and attentive. The grounds are immaculate and are constantly being kept clean and maintained. The food is out of this world and so beautifully presented. You definately go home much larger than when you first arrived. The journey to the resort from the airport seemed to take for ever and we were on the coach for 3 hours, which is far too long. We seemed to take for ever dropping off at each hotel. Our room was one of the swim up ones. it was large with a huge bed but was very dated and dark inside, not at all like the pictures on the website, Needless to say the least time we spent in there the better. The advantage of having our own sunbathing area with pool was wonderful and very relaxing. The beach was where we spent most of our time and we had to get up very early, ie 6am to secure a beach double bed. We tried going much later but they were all gone. Snorkelling was fun but there wasn't much to see unless you were very patient and waited for ages. The trip to Chichenitzu was excellent and a must. The only other disappointing thing was the concierge tried to encourage us to attend an hour and a half meeting the day before we were due home to try and sell us membership in case we wanted to stay there again. Needless to say we much preferred swimming and sunbathing so declined.

Room Tip: try the recently added new block.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,304)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

Beautiful grounds, very peaceful. Even though there were lots of people there (adults only), you didn't feel as if it was crowded and uncomfortable. We had a jacuzzi junior beachfront suite and it was awesome! Roomy, comfortable, great view - loved the shower! The service was amazing, people were so friendly and helpful. Food (especially the italian restaurant) was to die for! Drinks were plentiful and made well. The beach is small but beautiful and the beachside beds were great for a day of relaxing. We took two tours from the resort and both went smoothly and were a good time. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

I have waited two weeks before writing this review as I wanted to reflect on my holiday to write an honest opinion. I had really high expectations of this hotel after Thomson positively promoted it to us and through other social networking sites which regard this hotel very highly. I was however left feeling slightly let down. I'll talk you through some of the positives and negatives of my experience there.
Pro's -
The Dreamliner was great, paid to upgrade to the premium cabin which was in my opinion was well worth the money. Do check frequently and go into the store as the price for this does fluctuate. You do get a lot more leg room and the TV is bigger. You get a choice of meal too.

The hotel is small which is nice if you do want a more personal feel. The grounds are kept so well the staff are always working on them. The staff in general are great and honestly cant do enough for you. The décor in the restaurants is also great they do look lovely and have a nice atmosphere to them. The rooms in the premium block are lovely. The ones that stick out over the pool are also bigger (we had one of these) and it was lovely. Really big and the bed is really comfy so you do get a wonderful nights sleep. The spa is gorgeous, the treatments are expensive but again I thought worth it I had a hot stones massage which I got 20% off. It was for 80 mins and was a full body - you wouldn't get this in the UK. It also had the water journey included in the price which was also lovely. Due to the size of the hotel and the swim up pool bars you do get to meet people. We met some great people and this is what actually made our holiday. The trips which we booked through Lomas in the reception were also good, swam with whale sharks, swam with turtles, swam in cenotes and went to Coba, all on small mini buses which was nice. Room service was also great!
Now for the cons's and the things which we weren't happy with and the little bits which I do not feel make this a 5* resort. In a way I feel bad writing it because I did have a good holiday but I have to be honest.

The con's
The beach is not great, I felt really let down by Thomson and I have taken it further with them. I asked for a nice beach. I read reviews on here and saw pics, I went into the store and aired my concerns to be told that the beach really is great. I do not think it is, if you have visited other Caribbean islands you will be left disappointed. The beach at EDSS is very narrow, the brochure pictures are obviously from some time ago before the hurricane and erosion to the beach. In some areas it was that narrow lounging furniture would not fit. The beach has loads of shells on it which can be a bit sharp. There is also sea wall which I was advised not to worry about however it does run the length of the beach so if you want to swim out in the sea you'd have to find a gap in it and it doesn't look very aesthetically pleasing. The bits of the beach which are good have that many sunbeds on you are packed in like sardines. I'm not a beach person but my fella is and he was really let down by this. I'm a pool person - these also aren't great. There are three main pools at EDSS and a couple of others which are lazy rivers connected to swim up suites. If you are in a swim up suite great you have a pool and two sunbeds, if you are not in a swim up suite the pools are small and you'll struggle to get a sun bed. What they call the main pool is also tiny! We stayed in the premium block which does actually have the biggest pool, but again unless you had a swim up room not much furniture to go round. The hotel really is centred around swim up rooms. Mostly the food was great however some was just OK, I never get ill however I had a dicky tummy the whole time, as did my partner and most the people we met which I wasn't expecting from a 5* hotel at all. Last summer in Cuba which isn't renowned for great food we were both fine. I have stayed in four star Riu hotels where the food has been just as good as the EDSS. There is a GI wine list which you have to ask for - again I didn't expect that at a 5* you would think it would be offered. There were quite a few broken palapa's which weren't fixed for the duration of our two week stay which again isn't five star standards. If you are on your honeymoon are celebrating an anniversary (you also get a time limit of within a month for anniversaries before or after which is very lenient) you qualify for lots of freebies such as free WIFI free couples massage, free meal on the beach, champagne in you room, romantic breakfast, room decorations. Many people were also given room upgrades which again is very nice. I emailed the hotel prior to arrival to ask for a room upgrade to a swim up suite (I was paying for this) to be told there weren't any - yet people were given this for free on the day at the same time of check in as us and also thereafter. If you are not on your honeymoon or celebrating an anniversary all of the above has to be paid for, which doesn't seem fair there is no parity in the way guests are treated. I almost was made to feel bad because I wasn't on my honeymoon or celebrating an anniversary. Other guests said the anniversary package was good so I really would recommend this hotel for honeymooners. At night the bar is outside there isn't an air conditioned place to sit and drink or relax which does make the evenings quite uncomfortable again not really 5*.

I almost feel bad making these negative remarks because I did enjoy my holiday however I do not feel the resort is 5* and my expectations were too high. I have stayed at hotels better than this for a much cheaper price elsewhere. The holiday cost 4,700 and wasn't worth that much - sorry!

Slough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

We visited the EDSS in July and were extremely pleased with our choice. We had previously looked at booking this hotel two years previously and at the time decided to go to the Dominican Republic, which turned our to be great holiday so EDSS had a lot to "live up to", in many areas it surpassed our Dominican Republic holiday, although I must say I believe that the management are "missing a trick" when it comes to not having an indoor air conditioned bar (maybe that's part of the bigger plan once the new reception opens)?.
Overall fantastic holiday and would not hesitate to book again, should we decide to go to Mexico in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

Our stay was amazing from start to finish. We had booked a premium room but were upgraded to a swim up premium as it was our honeymoon which was a lovely touch. We were also in the premium section of the flight which was well worth the extra money for long haul.

Our room and bed were massive, clean and very modern. Loved the jacuzzi also!

Food was lovely our Favourite restaurants were Italian, grill and pub. Lunches were also great. We liked that you didn't need to book a restaurant other than the pub and had no bother getting a table. Drinks were brill, large cocktail selection and freddie at swim up bar was great!

Staff were amazing and always polite, keeping resort tidy.

Resort was quite and peaceful - just what we needed for our honeymoon. In our opinion the premium suites looked the nicest and are the most modern.

Overall cant fault and would definitely recommend, we would love to come back in the future but cant afford every year!

Siobhan & Joe Hoey

Room Tip: Our premium swim up room was amazing. I would pay more for premium - well worth it!
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

We spent our honeymoon here from 17th - 24th August. On arrival we were met with a cold flannel and glass of wine, which was well needed after the long journey.(Our hotel was the 1st stop on route, but rep decided that as they needed to do return to airport, they would go to furthest hotel and return to ours last - not really appreciated after such a long trip anyway, particularly when they tell you this is their plan)
Fast check in and quickly taken to our room by buggy - shortly followed by our luggage. Room very spacious, although dated, a beautiful well looked after room - we had room 3728 - not much to see from balcony, but quiet. Very clean room - with a lot of cupboard space and everything you could want in the room. Wine was delivered to the room - for our honeymoon. Fridge stocked up and kept full for most of the holiday - by the Thursday - they didn't restock the fridge, which was disappointing as we then had to bring drinks up to the room ourselves, from the bar at night.
The hotel grounds were beautiful, well kept and so tidy. The sand was kept clean and free from any litter.
Staff were very polite, friendly and were very attentive (although we did find again like the fridge, this dwindled by the last 2 nights. We loved the Italian and decided after 2 visits, to return again, only to have a waiter, who really couldn't be bothered, didn't interact with us - didn't ask if we wanted pepper or cheese, like the other waiters - we had to ask for this ourselves. The same happened on our last night in the pub - Santiago the waiter, very uninterested - hence I gave the tip to the supervisor - and told him we were not keen on our waiter.
Food was beautiful and plenty of it, waiter service up until last 2 nights was fantastic - think it just depends who you have or whether they keep a note on whether you tip.
Service on the beach was fantastic, constant flow of drinks and wide range, always bringing new drinks to try. Spa people do get a bit annoying on the beach, day in day out asking if you have booked a massage and explaining what the spa has to offer. They didn't seem to understand that they had already told us 5 times!!!
Entertainment staff were fantastic, kept people entertained throughout the day and evening and were always willing to come and talk to you. Very hard working staff.:-)
Welcome meeting very informative and interactive - plenty to do - we had already booked our dolphin trip at home and didn't book another trip as Chichen itza was a three hour drive - only having 6 full days in Mexico, we didn't want to spend another day travelling. The dolphin trip was amazing, well looked after whilst there, only a 15 min drive and lunch was included.

The reps were around most of the day - although with having 2 on the site, it would have been handy for one of them to be around after 4pm - as sometimes at night you may need something.
Concierge very good, very informative, and always wanting to do their best for you and make the best of your holiday.
Always managed to get a bed on the beach or by a pool- this was never a problem.
We had an amazing holiday - spent lying on the beds by the pool or beach, perfect place to relax and enjoy time together. We really didn't want to leave this holiday - it was exactly what we both needed. The whole hotel was beautiful, couldn't fault it's appearance and cleanliness - it looks just like it does in the pictures.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

Just celebrated our Silver wedding at el dorado seaside suites by karisma. I cannot speak highly enough of this hotel . Everything from the moment we checked in to checking out was 5 star.
The room, restaurants, service, location, staff, cleanliness, entertainment were all excellent.
We truly had the holiday of a lifetime and would highly recommend it to anyone thinking of booking it.

• Stayed August 2014

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!