“Great place, great food” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Houston, Texas
“Great place, great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

I couldn't think of a better place for a relaxing getaway. We stayed for two weeks and were never bored. The staff are great, the spa is nice, and it's a very quiet, relaxing place. The food is great as well. We never got tired of the options there. Very clean, very enjoyable, easy access to Playa Del Carmen by local bus or cab.

Room Tip: When we were there, it was a bit windy so we didn't enjoy the ocean beach much. We had a great...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,660)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

After a brilliant holiday at The Seaside Suites last year, we decided to go back this year.

The rooms
We asked for block 39 or 40 and managed to get room 4014 which overlooked the Gaviota Swim up bar. Nice to have a wee view of the pool and bar. The room had a double bed, Jacuzzi, safe, toiletries etc and was kept spotless by Esther. It smelt a little damp but with a jacuzzi in the room and air conditioning on all the time, not surprising. We decided not to upgrade to the Premier block as although it is fresher and boutique hotelly, personally I feel that it lacks character. I would recommend blocks 39 and 40. Oh, those of you in the UK. The Thomsons brochure still has old photos in it. It doesn't even show the new premium block.

The Restaurants
Breakfast - We ate a couple of times at the buffet style beach BBQ area but choice was not great. There is also buffet at the Sandwicherie area but we much preferred breakfast at Arreciffe. It was an indoor buffet with a huge choice. You can choose from a menu if you want, similar to the Vida Grill restaurant.
Lunch - Buffet at the BBQ are was ok. Not great but good if you wanted to grab something quick. We preferred to get out the sun and wait for pizza or a burger at the Gourmet Burger/Sandwicherie area, or you could go to the Vida Grill.
Evening meal - Italian - very good, Mexican - not one of our favourites, Asian (Klay Talay) - good, Vida grill - delicious, (my favourite). This year the Gourmet Pub has opened. It was ok. Menu is a bit confusing at first but after your first visit you know what its like. Basically you order what you want! This is the only restaurant that you have to book in advance. Remember in any restaurant what we think is something, may be different in Mexico. Just go with it and put it down as holiday experience rather than complain that something isn't exactly as you expect it to be! We loved the idea that you could turn up at a restaurant and if it was busy, you were given a vibrating/lighty up thing. You could then go to a bar and when your table was ready the thing would flash. Much better that what other hotels do of having to book days in advance. In terms of dress code, last year it was much stricter with men having to wear a collar. However, we found it more relaxed this year with my husband able to wear smart t-shirts rather that polo shirts or shirts. As long as you look smart I suppose.

The beach
Beautiful. No shortage of beds. Cause there are so many places to sit, people would move from the pool to the beach, to the pool bar area, back to the beach. There were always loungers on the beach. If you do want a four poster bed on the beach you do have to get up early to get it though. Yes the water is shallow but I don't go on holiday to train for the Commonwealth Games. Sitting in the sea with a wee juice is lovely! You can borrow snorkels and use kayaks for free. Not much to see but nice to do. Also, there are staff that walk up and down the beach all day taking drinks orders. They are absolute gems. Make sure you tip them and they will make sure you are well looked after. Anna is a star and is such a hard worker.

The block you are staying in will have personal concierge and this is expected to be your first port of call should you need help. We didn't really use them as we had no need. You get your beach towels from them so no need to take towels with you.

We were not affected by the biters at night, but my husband got a couple of bites on the beach during the day. Just eat lots of garlic on the run up to your holiday (an old wives tale I know) and use your Avon Skin So Soft body spray. They sell mossie bands but unsure if they work.

Bits and bobs.
We didn't use the spa. They are building a new bar further along the beach but I didn't see any work men in the two weeks we were there. No noise from refurbishment or maintenance at all. Just the daily work needed to keep the resort in tip top condition. The resort is a good mix of people. Lots of Americans and Brits. Great atmosphere so it was a great mix.

We loved this hotel and we can't fault it. Reasons we would go back are 1. No children, 2. You don't have to book days in advance for a restaurant. You can just turn up at the time you want. (except the Gourmet Pub). 3. Staff are so friendly and helpful. 4. Very clean 5. Plenty chairs on the beach. 6. Its very relaxing. 7. Small enough complex that you can meet people.
Love it!

Room Tip: Block 39 or 40.
Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We stayed there for two weeks from the 9th of July 2014 in a suite rom 411. The room was a bit dark but it was comfortable and it met our needs with fully stocked mini bar and well serviced rooms by the staff whom were very helpful. I think these suites need to be upgraded a little to get nearer the star rating. The facilities were very good and we used the spa centre twice during our stay having the full spa and body massage and this was excellent.
The beach was nice with plenty of sun beds and shaded double beds and the service for drinks on the beach was excellent as the staff worked very hard in the hot sun.
We tried all the restaurants on offer and found the food in General was very good with options of a steak and lobster tails for an additional 300 pesos which I had three times.
Each block has its personal concierge located in a bungalow and they were so helpful and nothing was a problem.
I really rated the staff very highly indeed they were always greeting you and were keen to see to your needs and even the gardeners and maintenance staff were always pleasant.

I personally had to seek help with medication as I had miscalculated my tablets for diabetes and within 30 minutes the on site paramedic had sourced them and delivered them to main reception for 500pesos about £25.00 great service.
Overall I rate the staff five star the food four and the room four the service was definitely five star and would return to this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

I've just returned from an amazing 10 days in Mexico and central to such an enjoyable holiday was the El Dorado Seaside Suites by Karisma. They have thought of everything to the finest detail in order to make your stay as perfect as possible:-

Rooms - Spacious with TV, DVD player, daily stocked refrigerator with branded soft drinks and beers, coffee machine, I-phone docking station, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, safety deposit box, double bathroom with Jacuzzi, king-sized bed and lounge area and even the balconies have a double bed and seating area. The concierge is only a phone call away and any requests/room service requirements are with you within 20 minutes. Also, rooms are fully A/C with modern systems that are eco friendly.

Food - Breakfast is buffet style with everything you can name - from freshly made omelettes to French toast, from sausage and bacon to pancakes and waffles. For lunch there's also the choice of the sandwich bar that serves some awesome burgers and pizzas or you can hit the beach BBQ that is just as fantastic. For evening meal, unlike most 'all inclusive holidays' - there's no buffet style queuing for food but 5 different cultural a la carte restaurants to choose from where I experienced some of the best meals ever (Each evening meal would probably cost you £30+ per head back in the UK) .

Drinks - All branded and free (With exception to bottles of wine/champagne and/or tequila that you can purchase at evening meals)

Pools - Your choice of 3 depending what kind of experience you want - 1 has entertainment throughout the day, the other two are more relaxing and peaceful but all have bars with poolside service.

Service - Flawless - wherever you look while walking the grounds you will see at least 2-3 staff at any one time cleaning. All staff appear to enjoy helping you and will go above and beyond to help with anything.

Beach - although the sand is coral (The only (very) minor fault I could find with this hotel - but who am I to blame the sea!!), there is a more sandy beach just up from the resort yet, back at the hotel, there are sun beds and 4-poster sun beds along the sea front. Good opportunities for kayaking (Provided for free), and snorkelling too.

If you are looking at this hotel then book it! After a few days of staying here I even had to double check everything with my rep - The place was so good that I started to question myself if there was a catch and was I incurring any additional costs but no, not even a single penny/peso to settle on my departure.

I really can't fault this hotel and will definitely be making Karisma Hotels my first point of call when travelling in future!

Just a few helpful hints if you are going...
1) There is a dress code for evening meal - men need a collar and formal shorts/trousers with no sandals or flip flops. Women need shoulders covered and appropriate footwear (i.e. no beach sandals or flip flops).
2) The hotel is very eco-friendly and has a strong recycling ethos. Therefore guests have the opportunity to donate their read books/magazines and left-over sun/after sun creams / insect repellent for other guests to take for free.
3) Get the right change for tipping. The service is so good that its very hard not to tip. However, I only ever had 50 or 100 pesos on me at any one time. Therefore you end up tipping £2.50 - £5 at each meal - times this by 3 meals a day and suddenly you have spent £100 on tips alone. I noticed the American's were tipping around $3 a time which was about £1.50 in sterling.
4) Now book it! You won't be disappointed!!

Room Tip: I booked a junior Jacuzzi suite but was upgraded to a premium junior sea view suite on arrival (Don...
UK York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

Another reviewer commented that the food was often not as described or how it had been served previously (apparently TA rules prevent me from quoting the review?!) This exactly sums up our issues with EDSS.

The resort is beautiful, it is currently undergoing some renovations and one of the blocks is closed for building work, the lunch time BBQ seems to be being renovated and the bar in the centre of the resort is being rebuilt.

Don't think that this means you'll be living in a building site, because the renovations are for the most part well hidden from the guests but it does seem to place an additional strain on the staff.

The main issue was food. The food is excellent quality and very well presented, but this resort markets its self as "Gourmet Inclusive" - Gourmet it isn't!

They have an excellent chocolate brownie which has 3 different names in 3 different restaurants, and they don't seem to know that a Caesar salad should have croutons. In the Asian restaurant, we had Tempura Bananas which turned out to be fried banana so I assumed they didn't know how to make Tempura batter, but the next day for lunch I had a Japanese burger which came with Tempura Carrot in perfect batter. There was just no consistency to the food and it was impossible to predict from the menu what you might receive. This does not alter the fact that the food was excellent, and had they not styled themselves as the Gourmet resort I wouldn't mention it, but honestly the food at Sensatori (run by the same company) is better although the wine list at EDSS is more extensive.

One other gripe, there was no buffet or "snack bar" at lunch time, so your only options were to not eat or have a sit down meal taking 60 minutes away from sunbathing.

The staff are without exception excellent, and were coping well with a full resort. The standards are similar to other premium complexes in Mexico and the lack of kids is a bonus!

Most of the guests are newlyweds or approaching retirement (probably because ones in the middle have to travel with kids). The resort has a chronic shortage of sunbeds and most guests are forced into playing the "towels on the bed" game by 6am if you want to have somewhere to sunbathe.

I would recommend it to any wine enthusiast. I'm not an expert but their Sommelier seems to know their stuff - If food is your thing you might be better looking at Sensatori (but then you'd have to put up with kids!)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We stayed at the resort for 2 weeks, we really enjoyed our stay. The staff were very friendly and nothing was ever to much trouble.

The eating places were good, our favourite was the pub gourmet which you have to book with your concierge.

We did the anniversary package which had extras included such as candle light dinner on the beach and massage. Both of these were excellent, definitely recommend you upgrade the massage package this was brilliant.

The accommodate was very clean and tidy

• Stayed July 2014
Merion Station, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

This was our third trip to El Dorado Seaside Suites and we were overall very happy with our experience. The staff continue to do an amazing job of making us feel at home. Special thanks to Guadaloupe, Omar, Edgar, Wilberth and Marie Carmen and all of the others who took care of us. Wilberth, at Arricefas, remembered our names and what we liked to drink!
The room was comfortable and always spotlessly clean. All of the restaurants were enjoyable with one exception. The Pub (new this year and requires reservations) was a let down. We felt our service was very rushed, the menu is somewhat confusing and the food was just ok.

The beach is nice and the water was warm, the fish were friendly and we met some lovely people from the UK. All in all, Seaside Suites is a great place for a relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: We were in Building 30, which is at the quieter end of the resort.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Aventuras
Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an Don Pablo Collection
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Suites & Spa Resort
Platinum Yucatan Princess All Su...
#51 of 200 in Playa del Carmen
#8 of 200 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 stars 11,575 reviews
Luxury Bahia Principe Akumal Don Pablo Collection
Catalonia Royal Tulum

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!