“Relaxing 10 day vacation at EDSS!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 30%
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Erie, Colorado, United States
“Relaxing 10 day vacation at EDSS!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

After much research, my husband and I decided to stay at El Dorado Seaside Suites from May 4 – May 13, 2014. I am an extensive researcher, and felt confident in vacationing here due to the positive reviews from my travel agent and Trip Advisor. First and foremost, if you are seriously considering EDSS, please join the El Dorado Seaside Suites facebook fan page! This is not a page by the resort, but a page for those who have traveled to EDSS in the past, present and future. There are SO many things that I learned, and friends I “met” before even arriving! Through the site, I made an informed decision to book a beachfront room (ground level, closest to the beach) and that I wanted to be in building 34 – specifically, I wanted to be in room 3402. After emailing the resort ahead of time, and talking to their fabulous concierge, we were pleasantly surprised to receive room 3402!

My travel agent split the cost of a private transfer through Lomas (a Lincoln Navigator) and I could not believe that we had never done that before! We have been to this area of Mexico several times in the past and it normally takes an hour and a half by shuttle, as they stop at several resorts to let people off. Our way there, we got Mr. Speedy Gonzales and made it in 50 minutes. It was fantastic! The way back, it took us about one hour and 10 minutes. It was pouring when we arrived in Cancun, but the sun was shining for us at EDSS.

Check in was a breeze. We are still quite surprised at how painless it was! We were greeted with a margarita and nice comfy chairs. We were given our room keys, towel card and safe key while sipping a cold drink! (Yes… downside – towel cards and safe keys. Don’t loose them, or you will be charged!) We were taken by golf cart to our perfect beachfront room. We were on the quiet end of the resort, and I’m pretty sure our room was the closest to the beach. Of course, there is a wall of bushes that separate our room from the beach, but there is a section of the wall you can actually just hop over, or just walk about 30 feet to the actual entrance to the beach.

The room was spacious – jetted tub, the MOST comfortable bed I have ever slept on, mini bar with Sol, Coors Light, etc., soft drinks and a few snacks (which I honestly couldn’t eat – Sun Chips made with plantains…). There is coffee too, although I didn’t try it in the room. There is an iron/board, umbrella, robes, slippers, hair dryer, etc. The one thing that my husband and I did not like about the room was that the separate toilet room and the shower had motion sensor lights. So, I tried not to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night so I wouldn’t be blinded at 2 in the morning! We considered unscrewing the light bulb, but….

After previously staying at a resort that required reservations at every meal, we were so happy that no reservations were required (with the exception of the Gourmet Pub). If you want to eat at the GP, you just need to make a reservation a few days in advance. And, speaking of the restaurants, the food here is fabulous! They do have buffet options for breakfast and lunch, if you so choose. But, the great thing about this resort is there are ala carte options for every meal. This is the first time I didn’t get sick of a buffet while on vacation!

The drinks were fabulous! Some have said they think they are watered down, but we didn’t see that at all. And, they actually had Heineken on tap! My husband and I love microbrews (and of course, you won’t get that in Mexico!), but it was great to have a beer that wasn’t Corona or Dos Equis.

I must say that the grounds here are immaculate! There is always staff cleaning, pruning, working on something, etc. And, speaking of the staff, this was the first time we have gone to a resort and not had one single staff member to complain about. There is always usually that one bartender or pool manager that was grumpy, etc., but not here. Every single staff member was happy and tried to please you. It was so refreshing! A few stick out in my mind – Crystal, Anna and Graciela! Thank you all for everything you do!!

The beach beds are quite plentiful and, for the most part, comfortable. However, we did notice quite the towel game going on. We are from the US, and we realized that most of the guests were from the UK. As they have quite a time difference, they would be awake much earlier than us (which I completely understand!). We are one hour earlier than Mexico. So, if we waited until we left the room, before going to breakfast, to find a beach bed, most times we would be out of luck. Or, we would have to choose a bed that was far up from the water, or otherwise undesirable location. On two occasions, my husband actually got up at about 6:30 to go throw some towels down. I never thought I would play the towel game, but we thought we deserved a good beach bed every once in awhile! There are also plenty of chairs with palapas, so we would sit in those as well. We are not big pool folks, so we spent most of our time at the beach. Although, we did find ourselves playing pool volleyball every now and again!

Speaking of the beach… I must say this was our only true disappointment. The sand on the beach wasn’t too bad, but not super silky either. But, the biggest problem we saw was the sand in the water. You really have to watch out for rocks in the water, or the reef. Unfortunately, my husband cut up his feet, and I cut my knee on the reef/rocks. So, if you want to spend a lot of time in the ocean, be sure to bring water shoes. OR… here is a hint. If you are looking out to the ocean, take a walk to the right of the resort. There is a very large span of beach between EDSS and the next resort. The water and sand is very silky and smooth!! We were bummed that we only figured this out a day before leaving the resort! This part of the beach is not allocated to any resort and is a must try!

We tip a lot, as we both have been in the restaurant industry before. Please tip the staff! This goes a long way – for you and the staff!

This really was a great resort, and a great area to visit. We did venture out on a catamaran excursion and to meet up with an old friend in Playa del Carmen. Rather than taking a collectivo, we decided on a cab, which really didn’t cost too much. Security getting into and out of the resort is amazing, and certainly made us feel safe.

We did not go to any of the evening shows, although I have heard that they were pretty amazing!

We made some wonderful friends at the resort that we believe will be lifelong friends – most of which started with a simple Facebook page. Will we stay at EDSS again? Maybe. I don’t really know the answer to that yet. As mentioned above, we really love being on the beach, and being in the water. And, that was our biggest disappointment here. Other than that (and the motion sensor light!) this resort is amazing and everything we could have possibly asked for!! We are very happy we chose EDSS for our trip this year!

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms are amazing! Specifically in building 34!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,489)
  • Polish first
McCordsville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

My Husband and I arrived at El Durado Seaside the Sunday after our wedding. We were welcomed with a glass of champagne, a moist towel, and a quick check in. When entering our room we had a bottle of champagne waiting for us.The beaches were outstanding and our room was beautiful. We had a Swim up Jacuzzi Room which I would highly recommend (Especially if one of you is subject to getting sunburn easily). It was really Nice for us because my Husband can not tolerate the sun as much as I can, so I was able to still Lay out and be by the pool outside of our room while my husband stayed in the room to relax. There are plenty of beach chairs and beds along the beach and pools, however I would suggest getting out their early and putting your towels down on a spot to reserve for the day. The food was amazing and the staff was so courteous and welcoming.

scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Having read the reviews we decided to book this holiday in Feb travelling in May this is a fantastic place to stay. the kind of people who complain about this place are the people who win a million on the lottery and complain its not enough.
We travelled premium class on the Dreamliner from Glasgow and it was well worth the extra
we also took a taxi with Canada transfers to the resort who were there to pick us up with cold beers for the journey the best £80 return fare ever spent.
We had booked a swim up room and were allocated on arrival room number 3602 initially i was a bit disappointed although it was nice and quiet with a short swim to the swim up bar which we had to ourselves most of the time and our patio area had sun from around 8.30Am till after 2Pm. room was spotless with.a great jacuzzi bath, double walk in shower twin sinks ect.
room was cleaned daily and although we didnt tip the maid till we left we had towel art everyday.
The restaurants were all better than good the Vida grill, Asian and Gourmet pub well worth a visit the steak in the vida which you paid for was a mouth watering 16oz ribeye/sirloin and was well worth paying extra drinks were also good when you asked for premium brands and the Chardonnay from the Gi wine list was very nice. Buffet style breakfast was great and from 6 till 11 you were not pressed to get up for early doors. the beach B/Q and pizzas and Angus burgers from the Sandwicherie ensured you never got hungry the 24 hour room service menu was limited but had a good choice also.
Everyone who worked in the resort from the grounds men to the maids, the waiters to the animation staff were very polite friendly and had the time to speak to you always with a smile.
the resort is just about the right size about 3 minutes walk from the back to the sea and about 10 minutes from end to end with a bit of paradise lurking behind every corner whether it be a secluded day bed a Hammock or a lazy lounger a quiet drink on the beach after dark gazing into the night sky on a day bed listening to the sound of crashing breakers on the shoreline will linger on in my memories for along time to come.
Coming from Britain we rarely get a good service whether its in the retail or restaurants so we are not accustomed to tipping like our Cousins from across the pond, that all changes when you enter this place because the service is second to none and all the staff are a credit to the Management team.
You can take out of this resort as little or as much as you want for us it was well earned restful experience made better by the fact we had already talked on the EDSS face book page with people who share their passion for this truly remarkable resort and made our stay all the more special, would we go back ? it's not a case of if but when !

Room Tip: avoid blocks 36 and 37 they dont get enough sun
Rhinelander, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Almost everywhere you are in this large and wonderful resort (adults only all inclusive) feels like you're there with just a few other people who are friends. It is so well designed that you never have to leave the property to find something to do or nothing to do but lay in the sun if you prefer. Other reviews here will inform you as to the great amenities, but I'll just mention the staff. They are ALL wonderful people! From the concierges, who can help you with virtually anything you need to make your trip more enjoyable to the grounds keepers who manicure the landscaping to perfection. They will all greet you with a smile and "Hola". And if they ask you "How are you?" they will be delighted if you answer "Excelente!"

Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

We stayed at ED Seaside for a few days in early May. Our favorite things about it were coffee, latte and Bailey's in our room every morning, the French Toast at Vida Garden and the amazing service from Candida and Hector was beyond. They were extremely helpful and professional and took really good care of us.

One negative from Seaside was that there seemed to be a shortage of chairs. We aren't into getting up at 6:00 while on vacation to find chairs and put stuff on them so that we will have a place to relax after breakfast. A tip would be to book a swim-up room and then you always have chairs.

Room Tip: The rooms in the large building are gorgeous but for us it felt too big and far from the rest of the...
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

My husband and I arrived in Riviera Maya the Monday after our beautiful wedding. We were welcomed immediately with a cocktail and a room upgrade that we previously believed was unavailable.

As a person with allergies (MSG), being able to eat without worries is a huge deal for me. On our second day, we met Brenda at the Gazebo Grill; once I told Brenda about my allergies, we no longer had any concerns!! She made sure that everyone knew and at most of the restaurants, the chefs (especially Chef Daniel!) were pleased to make a special meal for me. I didn't have an allergic reaction the entire week. A feat of great proportions given that we ate three (sometimes four!) meals per
day.

My husband's birthday was the day before we left. We enjoyed an AMAZING couple's massage on the beach and a candlelight dinner. I recommend both of these experiences. Also, our personal concierges (Mary and Raul) were aware that it was my husband's birthday and left lovely surprises in our room. The lovely Brenda also got into the action and had a cake made for him. We were treated like a king and queen the entire time we were there. We highly recommend El Dorado Seaside Suites!

• Stayed April 2014
england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Amazing room
Amazing beach
Amazing selection of gorgeous tasty food
Amazing cocktails
Amazing pools
Amazing views
Amazing staff
...Overall amazing... would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a relaxed holiday in an awesome part of the world.
I would also highly recommend taking a day out of your stay to visit Xel-Ha on an excursion.... i've never snorkelled anywhere like it.... warm calm waters with amazing sealife (Sting Rays, 2ft foot parrot fish and a 6ft barracuda are just a handful of some of the creatures we saw!).
The ONLY niggly moan I have is that "towel wars" early in the morning for prime sunbathing positions is the norm... just be prepared to be up early (before 8am) to put your towels out on your desired sun lounger BEFORE you go to breakfast.... as I say a minor niggle and not any fault of the hotel!
We would go back here in a heart beat and were genuinely gutted to leave!!!

Room Tip: No need for room upgrades-- standard room was more than ample!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!