“Amazing Wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

Save Saved
You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up to 32% Off + Credit
Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Stephens City, Virginia
“Amazing Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

I had a small wedding (6 guests including me & my husband) and it was perfect. I was really hesitant, but it went perfectly! My husband and I are very happy with how the day went! We even had a private reception on the beach (by the gazebo). While we were having our pictures taken the staff had everyone's drink ready for them. When I say their drink - I mean their go to drink that they had been drinking during their stay. No one even asked what it was, they just knew from us being there for a few days! While we were eating and enjoying our time the staff took video and pictures for us.

Everyone felt so spoiled and taken care of the whole trip. I could go into so much detail about how everything was so well taken care of, but this post would be too long. All I can say is we do not have one negative thing to say about the trip and our guest didn't either. Before we left everyone was wanting to go back next year for our anniversary.

We stayed in a swim up suite and loved it. It ended up being the hang out spot.
The food was great - I can honestly say I didn't eat one thing that I didn't love while I was there! Above all the service was what made the whole trip! I couldn't feel more taken care. They have set the bar high for other resorts! I can't wait to go back and try out their other resorts!

Room Tip: We were in room 3707 - swim up suite. I felt it was perfect - far enough away from the swim up bar...

4,314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,119)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

I want to preface my review by confirming this is indeed a lovely resort but for us it was not as good as other resorts we have visited before. The service, food, rooms and resort bars fell short of what we have enjoyed elsewhere both in Mexico and other islands in that part of the world. Those who have stayed at hotel chains like the Riu or Gran Bahia Príncipe will find this resort a good step up in all aspects but we feel we have been spoiled with the Excellence chain of hotels.

That said we arrived at EDSS on 24/4 (my birthday) for a 13 night stay following a fabulous flight with Thomsons on the Dreamliner. We upgraded at check in for BOGOF to premium cabin which was a first for us :) and were well looked after and fed/watered.

We had prebooked a private transfer with Holiday Taxis but had to wait 25 mins outside the terminal by which time the coach transfer had long gone which was rather frustrating!

We were in building 41 top floor and found the room to be very dated and nothing like brochure pics. We returned to reception to enquire about options but they wanted US $140 per night or stay put - we remained disappointed with the room throughout our stay. The toilet was so small that you could not close the door and complete proceedings so the door remained open... Our cleaner left our patio door open three times when cleaning which was a security worry for us but this was rectified when we brought it to their attention. Towel art was not increased by tipping.

We spent most days down by the quiet pool where they have a four poster bed with two comfy loungers next to each one - bar close by with good waiter service for drinks and the sea in view. This was our preferred spot and we found it very relaxing. We also spent a couple of days by the main pool which is hectic and full of activity but none on the beach although we did walk the beach in the mornings. We had to be up before 7am to secure our preferred position and it really varied throughout our stay as to whether beds were available later - some days there would be options after 9am.

Restaurants were good but not great other than Vida where some days we had breakfast, lunch and dinner and the Italian for dinner. We enjoyed most meals but very little blew us away food wise. Service everywhere was also good with the occasional great. Abraham in Vida at night was fantastic as well as Arnulfo for breakfast and lunch also at Vida. They stood out for all the right reasons.

Our concierge Jorge was fantastic throughout our stay and really looked after us as was Sam theThomson rep who is just fabulous and really does care.

We met and spoke to lots of really lovely couples during our stay - I would say through our stay the resort was 90% British which is unusual in our experience for Mexico. One common theme was stomach upsets with at least one of every couple suffering with diarrhoea in varying degrees and in some cases vomiting too. I suffered around 5 days before leaving and continued for about 6 days on arriving home with horrible tummy cramping. As someone who does not overindulge in either sun or alcohol I think the numbers affected that we encountered would suggest an issue when we were there.

Drinks wise ask for top shelf alcohol and they will use it - they stock some named but not all. Bar service very slow at main bar in evenings perhaps because the bartenders are also servicing the restaurants nearby with drinks and limited seating which led someone else to suggest to us that this is to save money as if you can't sit and relax you will drink less. Water is not given in bottles but by the glass if requested although they stock a supply of bottles in the main lobby which we started to use when passing.

I used the spa services once with a massage on the beach - very nice but too expensive in my opinion - I normally have a couple of spa services but not this time.

Evening entertainment was poor - casino night badly organised, rock circus awful but loved the reggae night on the beach - a real highlight for us :)

In summing up we got an amazing deal for this hotel which meant we could overlook its shortfalls - however we met people who paid more for a week than our 13 nights and others who paid 50% more for their two weeks than us. Clearly the hotel prices itself at a cost which it does not warrant when compared to others for the same money. We would not want to return or try another El Dorado based on our experience.

Room Tip: Junior suites in need of renovation
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I've been to about 12 different all-inclusive resorts in and around the greater Cancun area and I must say, this resort raises the bar. My husband and I are both in our 40s and this resort provided the perfect mix of relaxation and fun. The food is outstanding...never had a bad meal...and I'm a foodie. Cocktails were plentiful (top shelf liquor) and great wine (ask for the GI wine list).

We had a room on the 5th floor of the premium block and, for us, with was worth the extra expense. I can't imagine not having a view of the ocean. The swim up suites did not provide much in the way of privacy, if you were sitting on your patio, your neighbor was RIGHT next to you. Also, not much in the way of a breeze. Beach beds on the beach were readily available, even later in the morning. If you want a beach bed by one of the pools, need to be out there by 7:30ish. We spent most of our time at the Arrecifes pool. This is the "party pool". Water aerobics, water polo and volleyball, games (bingo, name that tune, other crazy games). This pool also has a swim up bar. The entertainment staff was awesome, Lulu, Kathi, Ingrid and so many others. We had a blast. Having said that, occasionally, we just wanted to chill and read in our pool bed and nobody interfered with that. Great music at the pool all day (disco, 70s-90s). Guacamaya Lounge is the place to be in the evening. Live music, great drinks, nice place to meet people. Also, if there is a game on that you want to watch, this is the place....they have a few large tvs on sports all day.

Very romantic. This resort really focuses on couples. Age range mostly 30s - 70s. The staff is incredible and very friendly. Everyone says "hola".... We would definitely return to this resort. Just go....trust me :-)

Room Tip: If you want an ocean view, get a room on a high floor in the premium suite.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

My partner and I booked the El Dorado Seaside Suites for the middle two weeks in August.

On arrival we were greeted with a lovely and much appreciated cold glass of fizz and a moist towel. The check in went very smoothly and by the time we got to our room - our luggage was ready and waiting. Our room looked over a pool bar which had swim up rooms just below us. Based on our research before we booked - we knew not to expect nor request a sea view room as there are coconut trees that line all the walk ways that prevent any sort of view.

The room was lovely. Clean, very spacious and fresh. I have read some reviews of people who found the rooms dated or in need of a freshening up - but we couldn't complain.

The choice of restaurants were great. Our favourites would have been the Italian and the Asian. We were slightly disappointed with the Mexican which is surprising as we were in Mexico. Only on a couple of occasions did we have to wait for a table but the wait staff were always very attentive and would never forget about you if you were asked to wait at the bar. My only gripe would be that none of the correspondence we received before departure advised that males had to wear a collar - from visiting other 4-5* star properties before it is more commonly long trousers that are requested but after being refused entry into a restaurant for dinner one evening were we highlighted of this rule.

The bars were great - if you wanted a cocktail that wasn't on the list they would find out what was in it and make it for you. Nothing was too much trouble. The entertainment was also very good.

The beach we knew was still recovering from hurricane damage but it was still gorgeous, very relaxing and you were always able to get bed no matter what time of the day you went.

All in all we had a very relaxing fantastic time. Ate too much and drank too much but that's what holidays are for!! The wait staff could not do enough for you - we always tip (some may agree with that some don't) and not for any other reason than we felt that the service was just amazing. We will be returning to EDSS. I just hope that the expansion of the property hasn't taken away from its charm.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Overall we had a good time at this hotel. We did have a few issues but nothing major.
Check in was a bit of a nightmare and started us on the wrong foot. We arrived in the evening after a very lengthy time at the airport (taking two hours to actually get through the airport at Cancun). So we were tired and just wanted to relax. They came round with some drinks and canapés which was a nice touch but check in still took what seemed like forever!
When we finally got to our room - the in the premier suites - we were very much impressed. A lovely, spacious room and terrace (on the third floor). The view was slightly disappointing as we could see the back of one of the restaurants - other than that it was mostly palm trees. The terrace didn't get much sunshine either.
The room was kept immaculate - although you HAVE to keep the aircon on as otherwise everything suffers from the humidity. Your swimming costumes won't dry and everything will get damp and slippery - especially the floor. The bathroom was huge with a Jacuzzi - great after a long day checking out the ruins at Coba or Chichen Iza! The bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in as well. The mini bar was fairly basic - beers and soft drinks - but that didn't bother us - kept well stocked as well. Room service was excellent - although they did seem to take a while to collect the empty dishes from outside the rooms - which concerned me slightly - started to attract bugs!
The choice of pool was good - the quiet pool with beds around - right by the sea was probably our favourite choice. Very chilled out and waiter service for drinks.
There's an activity pool of your into that sort of thing and two other pools with swim up bars that connect to all the swim up rooms. Like I say, we preferred the quiet pool as it was the best place to chill out and you could still get a nice sea breeze.
The beach was a let down. The sand is extremely rough, and you can only access the sea directly at certain points. Its quite shallow and rocky as well. We did a snorkelling excursion at Akumal where the beach was amazing - if you're looking for an amazing beach this probably isn't the place for you - although Akumal and Tulum aren't too far away.
Additionally, you had to get up and go straight down to the pool or the beach (before breakfast) to secure a bed or loungers.
The bars had a good selection of drinks - if you're staple cocktail isn't on the menu just ask and they generally make it for you anyways. Disappointing that they use syrups rather than fresh fruit in a lot of the drinks though. Beer and wine (included in the all inclusive deal) is a bit limited.
The restaurants were OK - it wasn't terrible but I have eaten better. A good selection so everyone should find something to eat. We ended up frequenting the Italian and the Mexican ones the most. Mateo (hope I've spelt that right) in the Mexican restaurant made a huge difference to our evenings. Very enthusiastic, didn't rush us out like some of the other waiters, checked we were OK for drinks. He made our visits special! The staff were generally very good but he definitely stood out!
Personal concierge was OK - nice idea but we found we struggled to get hold of them sometimes and they were meant to be open until 5pm according the hotel literature - they had quite often disappeared half an hour or so before that.
Breakfast was OK but nothing special. Two buffet style and one sit down and order venue. We found the sit down one was best for us but the portions there were fairly small - if you eat well in the mornings the buffets are better for you!
There was no where to just grab a snack during the day or an ice lolly etc - it was 3 square meals a day and that was it (apart from pretzels around the bar!).
Lunch at the Sandwicherie was very good but limited to pizzas, burgers and burritos.
The best place we discovered was the beach BBQ on the pier - no one told us about this but its by far the best place to grab lunch. Buffet style with a wide variety of hot and cold food - nice atmosphere as well - though you may have to table share here (not a problem for us but may be for some people).
We did use the spa - its very nicely set out and not badly priced.
You can book excursions by the beach but we stuck to doing this with our rep.
Overall we had a lovely time. We booked through TUI/First Choice. The facilities and the staff were amazing. The beach and the food were weak points.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Great rooms, excellent service, good food, nice staff. I would give it five starts, except the beach front was very disappointing. Virtually unable to walk on it, sank down in the sand up to my calves, almost fell and twisted my ankle! We love long walks on the beach and that was impossible to do here. Otherwise, w!e had a relaxing, highly enjoyable and romantic holiday

Room Tip: If you go during more of an "off" season, you may be able to get an automatic room upgrade...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

We returned from El Dorado Seaside Suites 2 days ago after an absolutely fantastic 10 day stay. We stayed in the premier suites (well worth the upgrade) on the 5th floor with lovely sea views. From the moment we arrived the atmosphere was that of luxury and relaxation. The grounds of the hotel were immaculately kept, and all communal areas were always beautifully clean. All of the service we received whether from concierge to the restaurants and bars was 5 star. Nothing was too much for the staff who were always polite and friendly.

The wide range of restaurants made eating out in the evenings much more special than hotels where a buffet is the only option. We particularly enjoyed the Mexican, but speaking to others at the resort everyone had different opinions. In the evenings we sometimes had to wait for a table (30 mins average) but this didn't bother us as it just meant more time for a cocktail or two before dinner!

On previous holidays we tended not to get involved in much of the daytime activities (preferring a more relaxing experience!) but at El Dorado we really enjoyed the poolside activities by the main pool. The entertainment team did a great job at making sure everyone felt included, but it was no problem if you just wanted to relax and snooze on one of the many poolside beds. They really were "excellentè"!

Before we arrived we had read the reviews on trip advisor, but nothing could really prepare us for what a fantastic time we had. We're very envious of anyone reading this preparing for your holiday.. You will have an amazing time!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!