“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

Save Saved
You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Up to 35% Off + Credit
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Bolton, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

Just got back from this little piece of heaven.
We upgraded to the premium block as it wasn't that much of a price increase. Was it worth the upgrade??
For us yes as we were celebrating our wedding anniversary so the upgrade paid for itself. We showed our marriage certificate and we got some great freebies......
Candle lit dinner on the beach
Couples beach massage for 50 mins
Bottle champagne
Free wifi on unlimited devices
Room romantically decorated on return from dinner on beach (rose petals on bed etc)
Gourmet breakfast in bed.

If your not celebrating and the modernness of a room doesn't bother you then I'm not sure it's worth it although we got a sea view as was on 3rd floor.
The rooms are immaculate and spacious.

The beach is a bit disappointing but nothing is perfect, just take your water shoes. But you get used to it never bothered us after the first day. The sun loungers do go by 7 with people reserving them, which is disappointing but not sure how they can stop it. So you get the attitude if you can't beat them join them.

Our favorite restaurant was the Vida garden grill, as it was nice to have a sit down breakfast off a menu. All restaurants are great... Try the gourmet pubs meatballs.

We never went in the swim up pool as we spent all day on the beach. The swing bar was were we spent most our evenings. The bar and beach service was superb. Highly recommend either the Mexican flag or rainbow shots.... Scrummy.

As for trips....
We booked dolphins on Cozumel before we left uk. No transport . We just jumped on the local collectivo to playa del Carmen, then onto a ferry... The time with dolphins was amazing.

Tulum
Again got on a collectivo. Very cheap to do. Take a towel the beach is gorg but couldn't spend a day. We then went from tulum to akumel to swim with the turtles. That was amazing. We hired a guide for about £15 for an hour each... Well worth it. Saw about a dozen.

My biggest tip is invest in a waterproof camera.... The pictures we got of the turtles was gorgeous.

The only downside is it's a long way for a week but would I go again... Yes!!!!
It's not utopia but if your expectations are reasonable you will not be disappointed.
If your looking to book do it!!!!
If you are going soon enjoy .... I'm jealous!!!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,190)
  • Polish first
Croydon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

My Italian husband (Tino) and I stayed in room 416 from 13 January for two weeks for our honeymoon. We've been home a few days, still recovering from the jet lag and trying to get used to the rubbish weather here! I will be breaking this review into headings for ease of reference.

The Thompson Experience:
When we arrived at Gatwick (our outbound airport) we were advised that the flight was delayed by an hour. That was fine. Flying out on Dreamliner was great. We travelled in standard class, and were rather shocked that, unlike a lot of long haul flights that my husband and I have undertaken, you were expected to pay for additional snacks and drinks over and above the booked meal. Fortunately we had a breakfast at the airport, if we had not we would have been starving. If you flew premium everything was unlimited. It was a struggle to get just a simple glass of water too, which I find pretty unacceptable for a ten hour flight. Anyway, the flight itself was fine, we did not notice the take off or landing. There was no rep to meet us at the airport so hubby and I were almost conned by a nice man who tried to assist us with our luggage and to find our transfer coach. He expected tips but we did not have any cash and advised him, which he was okay with. Just beware of these friendly faces upon arrival. At the resort itself we had little to do with the reps, we met them at the welcome meeting only. They also waved us off when we left, which was a nice touch. We had a rep to escort us to the airport and through immigration which was a nice touch. However, the staff on the flight back were not as helpful. They seemed too preoccupied with their private in jokes and ensuring that everyone slept, as it was a night flight. There was no customer care whatsoever, which is shame as they had done an okay job up until then. We probably will not be travelling with First Choice or Thomson again though.

El Dorado Seaside Suites:
The Room -
We were in the new block and when we first arrived, in the dark, Tino was not too pleased. However, in the morning when we got up to see the sunrise at around 5.30am, we had an ocean view, a view of the roof of the jungle and we could see and hear the wildlife communicating with each other. The room was extremely comfortable, and the bed ... WOW! It was huge and both of us could sleep like star fish! We made use of the jacuzzi, which is located in the bathroom in these new rooms, and also noticed that the floor in the loo has underfloor heating! Great if you get up in the middle of the night for a pee and forget to put your slippers on! We cannot fault the room at all.

The Staff:
Exceptional from start to finish. They work tirelessly to ensure we are all happy and excellente whilst staying there. Big shouts out to: Alva our concierge, Anna the beach waitress who really looked after us, Lorenzo the mischievous waiter at the beach restaurant at breakfast and lunch, Jose Luis our chambermaid who kept our room immaculately clean and provided daily towel art surprises (on the last night we slept on rose petals!), Lu-Lu (Alain) of the animation team ... and so many others whose names I simply cannot remember. Thank you to all of you for making our trip to special and I hope you enjoy your next days off ! Finally, a manager (not sure if he was the hotel manager) phoned us on our last day to say thank you for staying, and if there was anything else we needed before we leave to just let him know. I just begged him to kidnap us!

The food:
Amazing! We ate at every restaurant, and Vida Grill seemed to be our favourite overall. I particularly liked the mango mouse. Yummy! La Carreta is great and I would suggest that you read the Mexico guide in your room prior to going there to get an overview of Mexican cuisine. We loved the buffets they do on a Wednesday but I really, really, really liked the Veracruz Style fish. We went to Mia Casa - yes the food is exceptional, but the restaurant itself is a bit formal and stuffy. We preferred La Trattoria at Arrecife's, although Tino was not happy that cheese appeared on his seafood dish. This is a minor thing and you would only know that cheese on seafood is a big no no if you were Italian. I would also like to add that the female maitre Ds are 100% better than the men in the khaki uniforms. The men just don't seem to have a clue how to organise the restaurants.

Drinks:
Guacamayas is THE bar at night. Before dinner we liked the quieter bar near Mia Casa for an appertivo. It also has a nice beach side lounge. Garcitas near our block was a swim up bar but also does light lunches such as salads and smoothies. The tequila bar in La Carreta is great and I have to say they made the best margaritas. We noticed that the cocktails tended to get stronger as they day wore on, fairly light alcohol whilst on the beach, but as soon as the sun went down the alcohol strength significantly increased. We did not complain though! The bars have all drinks, lots of international brands and the staff have a good knowledge so you can ask for what you want. Tino has become a tequila connoisseur with a little help from the barmen. We are now anejo drinkers as opposed to the clear, cheap stuff you get for shots. Try it or a nice riposato!

Room Service:
We used it a few times. On our first day there was no coffee in the room so we ordered two cups and a couple of croissants. Instead we were brought a huge pot of coffee with cream and milk and about a dozen mini breakfast pastries. We felt so embarrassed and guilty when ordering room service, but it always felt like a naughty little treat!

Entertainment:
We went to a couple of shows at Piccadilly Circus. I agree it is a bit of an awkward venue and trying to be an auditorium, but the shows we saw were very good - Just Amazing and White Fusion. The animacion crew really do their best to entertain but there are informal events often happening at Guacamayas most evenings. We got dragged in to join a Canadian Wedding Party which was fun. If you want rowdy nights go to Cancun or the Canary Islands!

Excursions:
We always avoid the reps sales pitch and go with the local providers. We booked Chichen Itza/Valladolid with Alberto at V-Acquatics. Some people have said this is a long day but it was just right for us. We also used Lomas in the lobby to go to Xel-Ha. We felt it was pricey at 199 USD each (including swimming with dolphins but excluding the photos) and a whole day there was perhaps a bit too much. We took ourselves to Playa del Carmen via the collectivo as well. We had no problems with any of our trips. Our best day was Chichen Itza and we would have liked to have spent more time at Vallodolid.

The Spa:
We had intended to have a couple's massage but we cancelled this to do more excursions. We went to the hydrotherapy on an overcast day, which was alright, nothing special really. The spa is pricey though, and I would say that after two weeks walking a mile along the beach each day, you don't need a pedicure or cellulite reducing wrap!

Other guests:
Yes there are a lot of guests from North America and Canada escaping their winter, and who can blame them. We met Gary and Christina from Alberta, Senior Clingon (strange young chef travelling on his own from Canada- what a mistake to make at a couples' resort!), Brian and Laurie from Michigan, and some others whose names we did not catch. Our UK based network included: Jay and Michelle, Joanne and Mark, Dave and Marie, Mike and Veronica and the couple from Formby. We all had a blast!

Location:
It is a small resort, but it is kept very clean and well looked after. They are big on sustainability as well. The resort is immersed into a very well maintained jungle environment. There are several swimming pools, some busy, some quiet and chilled out. The beach is fine, the sea is safe and there is an artificial reef. It is not ideal for swimming but great for a paddle and watching the fish around your feet. The sand is coral based and white. There are pieces of coral further up the beach. There are activities like kayaking and snorkelling (equipment provided free) which this beach is perfect for.

Overall we had an amazing time. It was just what we wanted. The worst part was having to come home. This place is magical, exceptional and thoroughly relaxing. I have no idea who those people were who complained about EDSS, and I also wonder if they stayed at the same resort as us! We would love to go back one day and we have already recommended this place to some friends. We just were disappointed with Thomson and cannot fault anything about the hotel at all. We miss it so much already.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new block beyond level two have a guaranteed ocean view.
La Veta, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Fabulous resort & vacation. A small, couples only resort. Very romantic. Gourmet food, beautiful, relaxing beach. The staff were very friendly. The spa was excellent and state of the art. Very clean resort. Overall, a wonderful vacation. Would absolutely go there again!

Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

My husband and I came across this resort as a sale from our travel agent and given its review of being listed on Forbes list for top honeymoon places and a 5 star resort, we had high expectations. This was our first time in Mexico and thought it would be a great place to spend our 10 day honeymoon the first week of January 2014.

First, I have to commend the many staff members who made our stay memorable and enjoyable. These members truly enjoy their jobs and take pride in their work. They were always so friendly when we saw them and would go above and beyond for us. We can't thank them enough.

Oscar at the Sandwichere was amazing. My husband has severe shellfish allergies and Oscar was right there at the grill each morning to convey to the cook how she needed to be very careful to have the grill cleaned before starting anything for my husband. When other matron d's said there was no table available, Oscar found us a table, knew us by name and room number. He was always so friendly and was a highlight.

Abraham at the Sandwichere became a friend. He quickly knew how much we enjoyed the orange juice and was always there for us. Even when he wasn't serving our section, Abraham always had a wave, a hello, and his highly contagious smile on.

Hector at the Mexican restaurant I had read about in other reviews. He was just as wonderful as everyone had said and again went totally out of his way to make sure we had exactly what we wanted, even it if needed to be adapted from the menu.

Miguel at Mia Casa was our last dinner at El Dorado. We were disappointed we hadn't met him earlier as he had a fantastic sense of humour. Just what we needed our last night there.

Raul and Rachel, our personal concierge, were fantastic. They too went above and beyond for us and we were thankful for them when needing translation on medication required, itinerary for events of the week, etc.

Lastly, I can't forget Stephani on the beach. She amazed me with her energy to walk up and down the beach serving drinks all day. She definitely introduced me to different drinks I hadn't even thought of just by offering "Specials" from her tray. I totally appreciated that. Thank you.

Now, the rest of our trip. We found the front desk and management less than friendly and accommodating. I guess I hadn't researched the rooms enough ahead of time but we learned when we got there that we had 2 separate beds. When they found out we were celebrating our honeymoon, they offered us a suite with 1 bed that would be available later on in the week but it was going to cost significantly more to upgrade. We opted to keep the room originally booked. We had told our personal concierge that we were interested more in excursions and he said he had a deal for us but just needed 30 mins of our time. This also was what made our trip go side-ways quickly. It was the "sales pitch" for time share and it wasn't with our personal concierge but rather a sales person who decided it was ok to make assumptions/comments about our finances - a definite "no-no" with me. Close to 2 hrs later, we walked out but had received $100 in gift certificates for excursions. Other issues we experienced were with purchasing internet time through the lobby. I would recommend you not buy any more time than what you plan on using in 1 sitting as any time remaining on the first purchase seems to "disappear" the next time you go despite logging out of their system. My husband won a spa gift certificate in one of their nightly entertainment shows. The gift certificate never showed up despite waiting for 3 hrs one day for the entertainment group to bring it to him - they told him they would return shortly and not to leave the area. They continued to promise to find us on the beach later. The gift certificate never arrived the remaining 7 days we were there. We gave up. The quality of sound for a Jamaican show one night was so terrible I had to leave as you couldn't understand what the musicians were saying or singing. I felt bad as there had been a lot of excitement for this group. The branded drinks advertised were not branded drinks in our opinion. There is no Corona and when we asked for it, we were told that we could take a $12 US taxi ride to Playa del Carmen. We partially picked Mexico for the food. We were surprised to learn that hot sauce or habaneros were not something readily available at El Dorado Seaside. We did have a few staff who found us something spicy (like Tabasco sauce or what they call "green sauce") but when we asked for spicy sauce we again were told we could take a taxi ride to Walmart in Playa del Carmen. It rained and was cool and cloudy our first 4 days there. My husband made an inquiry as to why the outdoor hot tub was not working. The maintenance worker said that in 4 years he had never seen it work and admitted that it was cleaned by adding chemicals to it regularly and circulation was accomplished by people getting in and out of it. It was recommended that if my husband wanted a hot tub he could use the one in the room. My husband, being very social, was more interested in chatting in the hot tub than being alone in the room. The suggestion was that people could come to our room and take turns. I'd like to say this was just our experience however by chatting with other visitors, they too experienced similar issues. Sadly, it also happened to people who were "members" of the time-share and were promised special services due to their membership.

The place is beautiful and the line-staff are very friendly. Sometimes we were nervous as the staff's ability to understand my husband's allergy to shellfish was scary but we got through. If you decide to try it out, I would suggest the following:

1. If you have an allergy to shellfish, use the term "seafood" instead of "shellfish" as the staff understand the term "seafood".

2. If you want Corona, hot sauce or habaneros, stop in Cancun or Playa del Carmen before going. If you forget, ask for hot/spicy or "green" sauce and the staff will try to find it for you.

3. If you order something on the menu that isn't the portion you expected (this happens quite frequently), you can ask for 2 entrees. No need to do that at the pub however as the portions are large and very good.

We will go back to the Mayan. We just won't be going back to El Dorado Seaside.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Thank you for your detailed review of your visit to the El Dorado Seaside Suites , I have read through your review and found your comments very interesting. we will definately use your feedback constructively to enchance of Gourmet Inclusive experience and your praise for varius staff members will not go unnoticed.

I do apologize for the challenges that you experienced and I can assure you that we do not find this acceptable.

Best Regards

Alfonso Lopez
motherwell
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Honestly can't believe people are finding any fault with this place, still if their biggest moan is someone wearing shorts to dinner then they need to get a life, the place is amazing.
The rooms are huge, massive bed, hot tub, double sink, mini bar (coke, sprite, water, sold, heinikan and estrella)
The maids clean your room each day, leaving towel animals for you to come into, nice touch.
The room service is great, I you don't see it on the menu, just ask.

Resteraunts, Mexican one was the best, hector and Mateo are great waiters and the fajitas are fantastic.
If your annoyed folk are wearing shorts, get a grip, enjoy your own holiday.
Gourmet pub was a bit meh, not the best place in the resort.

During the day the main activities pool is where to be, cracking swim up bar and the entertainment team are great, especially ceasar, Aldo, Diego Joanna and lulu.

Night time entertainment could be a bit better bit its still good.

When booking trips, Thomson are a bit dear, you will get the same trips inthe reception through lomas travel, do the dolphin royal swim, its amazing.

My only other suggestion is tip a few dollars every now and again, the staff are all amazing, especially blanca at the breakfast resteraunt arrafeceties, she was by far the friendliest person we met.

My only gripe, wifi should be included, your paying enough for the holiday, its something that should be free for the price you pay

• Stayed January 2014
Church Gresley, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

just got back after a thoroughly relaxing holiday.the standards they try to maintain in this resort are tremendous from the champagne and cold face cloths on arrival to the same again on departure
.meal times especially dinner were an experience with some of the best tasting dining I have had no reservations needed for 6 of the a la carte restraunts tried all six fantastic, didn't bother with the reservation reqd gastro pub as didn't feel we needed it'
staff great, drinks great, ,weather great, food excellent, place ideal, will be returning.
only one negative don't shop on resort £3 for a lipsil really.

Room Tip: go for a garden suite facing the sea
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

This was a fabulous holiday!!!!!! We visited El Dorado Seaside Suites as a couple in June/July 2013 and had a wonderful time.

The staff were outstanding, they simply could not do enough for you. A few special mentions for: -
- Ivan from the swim-up bar
- Anna and Ana the beach waiters
- Ubaldo from Canitotas bar
- Miguel the waiter from Mia Casa
- Nelson the waiter from the Mexican
- Luis and Robert waiters from Vida Garden Grill
- Abraham waiter from the Sandwicherie
- Cesar and Laura from the Spa
- John who did the ecological tour
- Fernando waiter from the Asian
- Alicia from the main bar
- Alfonso waiter from the Asian
- Raul from Gacamayas bar
- Nuham waiter from the International
But in general, all of the staff were wonderful.

The pools were lovely, the beach was nice, cocktails and choice of drinks was amazing, room service really good, spa (extra charge) fabulous.
All of the restaurants were very nice, we didn't have a bad meal in the whole of the two weeks. The food did not make us ill or anything like that.
All in all - super holiday!! Loved everyone moment and met some great people. We would for sure recommend this place. Cannot recommend it enough.

Hopefully we will return one day :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!