“Pure dead brilliant” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save Up to 30%
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Pure dead brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from our 11 night vacation at this hotel and spa resort. Overall a very good resort with good food, outstanding rooms, bar, beach, spa and service.

On arrival our first impression was good. It just got better throughout our stay. We stayed in a new premium room on the fourth floor with good views over the jungle to the front and the sea to the rear. The room had his and her vanity sinks, double spa bath, good size and extremely comfortable bed, good AC, fan, well stocked mini bar and balcony overlooking the pool.

The restaurants were all very good, but certainly our fav was the vida grill, where we had breakfasts most days and dinner on a couple. Next was the Italian followed closely by the Asian. The Mexican was good but my wife cannot tolerate Coriander (cilantro - Mexican), so we only went once. Our least fav was the arrecifes restaurant was at best average and lacked any atmosphere. That said it was good for casual lunch and we had breakfast here a few times. We waited no more than 15 mins for a table at any time and this was really not an issue. Next time we book a holiday we will be looking out for hotels where you don't have to reserve a table as the flexibility of turning up and eating was a great way to enjoy your holiday, without having to pay attention to a booked time bound timeline.

The bars and the drinks were first class, as was the service. Not much more we can say as we are not huge drinkers but the Mojitos are very good! In the restaurants ask for the Sauvignon blanc or Merlot. This is not well advertised and they push a Spanish 'house wine' which is not good, but you can bear a glass or two at a push. There are other wines available as part of the all inclusive and there is also a wine list with additional charges.

The beach was very good and much better than we expected. We brought beach shoes and they were very handy, but not essential. Beach bar service was excellent and the girls work extremely hard.

We tipped 20 pesos when we received good service for drinks and 50 pesos for a meal. Well deserved and appreciated by the hard working team of staff.

We visited the spa on three occasions and found it to be one of the best we had visited anywhere in the world. The gym was also well equipped and although we do not use as much as we planned to on the couple of occasions had no wait for any of the equipment.

So in a nutshell you pay a lot of money for this adult only gourmet dining beach front all suite room resort. You should go and enjoy it. We certainly did! We will go back one day but not immediately as we have a huge bucket list to exhaust. Lastly, if like us you are reading the reviews prior to travelling pls enjoy your holiday! :)

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,480)
  • Polish first
Walsall, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Let me start by saying this review is our personal opinions based on our experience. We know a lot of people have had a great time here so this review is mainly aimed at anyone who has visited previously and is thinking of revisiting.
We first visited July 2012 and had such an amazing time, it was that great we booked again for July 2013. We were so excited because like most people the year before we had been treated like royalty, unfortunately this year the quality in service has dramatically declined.
This hotel claims to have a loyalty programme for returning customers but we saw no such thing at all, we didn't even get a "welcome back". I'll try and break it all down.
PROS-
-The hotel grounds and public areas are still extremely well kept, couldn't fault anything.
-The new Premium block rooms and actually really nice inside, quite modern, really nice balconies, especially if you are lucky enough (as we were) to be on the 4th or 5th floor as there are amazing sea views as far as the eye can see.
-The food is still as delicious and last year and the quality of drinks is great as well.
-The Concierge for the Premium block Eva/Alba? I can't quite remember her name, but she is amazing.
-The staff that work at the Premium block pool bar are faultless, friendly, hardworking and are genuinely interested in talking to you, Miguel, Estrella, Lucy and the chef are a breath of fresh air.
- The entertainment and the evenings has actually improved, its still not our thing but we enjoyed it anyway, particularly the Mexican and Mayan nights, the Reggae band and the Rocksimus Maximus show.
CONS-
- The Premium block is an eyesore. It looks like something you would find down the strip in Benidorm. It really does not match the rest of the hotel which is a shame. The sinks in our bathroom absolutely stank of pure sewage. There was no happy medium with the shower water either, you either had to have a cold shower or scold yourself, but the water that you actually bathe in is chlorine water which makes you smell a bit cheesey. The house keeping was ok but they try and cut a lot of corners which we think are unacceptable. They had a note in our room that tells you that they change your bedding every 3 days, but my Fiance had a bug bite on the 2nd night which he scratched until it bleed, and after a week the blood was still on the sheets. They did not clean the shower at all, and very rarely mopped or swept our balcony so it was constantly covered in dead bugs.
-Directly behind the Premium Block is the bog of eternal stench! It reaks 24/7. We understand that it is a natural thing but we couldn't understand why they have built the block right next to it, its very off putting.
- When we got clean bath towels, they were never clean, they always had some sort of stains and them. The same goes for the beach towels, every time we swapped them for clean one's, the "clean" one's were filthy. Quite a few times at dinner, once we were sat down we would notice that our napkins were dirty and had to ask for new one's.
-One of the Concierges for the Premium block Silvia is extremely pushy and will not take no for an answer. She gave us some cock and bull story that because we were returning guests (funny how she did not know this until we actually mentioned it) we were entitled to a tour of the hotel and a free gift at the end. We politely declined because we clearly knew it was a time share thing, but she booked us in anyway and constantly kept sending us reminders to our room which was really annoying. This "tour" is not for returning customers at all, its offered to everyone, and more fool you if you fall for the story. On the day we were booked in for this we went down to her to tell her we weren't interested because of all the problems we were having (which I will continue to explain) and fortunately for us she was not there. We told the other lady Eva/Alba(?) all the above, how we weren't interested in the tour and she was disgusted at the way we were treated and cut a long story short she bent over backwards so that that evening we had champagne sent to our room, a private waiter at dinner, and then our room was decorated with flowers. We thanked her the next day, but still nothing else changed for the rest of the holiday. Silvia continued to pester us about the tour, she had rescheduled it even though we said we were not going to go but we ignored every note she left us and she took the hint finally.
- The staff do work very hard as they are learning to cope with the hotels new popularity and growing number of guests, but its clear that they are not managed and some have become very sloppy and even rude. We had one waiter who grunted to us the one morning at breakfast, and simply pointed to a table. He never offered us coffee or juice, which is ok as we eventually went and got our own, but its not ok when everyone else is getting good service.
Almost every meal we were left with no drinks, and we just couldn't understand why, as every other couple around us seemed to be treated like royalty (especially anyone who was being rude). We are very polite, and we always say hello and try to speak Spanish out of respect for the staff but it was clear that the more polite that your are to them, the worse that they treat you. The one evening my other half didn't get a drink until half way through his main course even though it was ordered as soon as we sat down. Another incident happened at lunch in Arrecifes. We had ordered our food at the same time, but I was done and dusted with my starter and main before my partner even had anything brought to him! And again we went thirsty because we were not offered a drink. Then to add insult to injury our waiter completely disappeared and no one came to clear our table or ask us if we wanted a drink or pudding, everytime we tried to flag someone down they were too busy and we tried to catch the Manager's attention but he stood chatting on his phone for the best part of an hour while other guests were standing in the door way waiting to be seated and were also being ignored by him.
One meal we were asked what drinks we would like and we asked for a beer and ice tea, my other half got his beer but my ice tea never showed, so after the first course came I asked the waiter where my drink was, he just looked at me blankly and walked towards the bar. He then came back to tell me they didn't have any but never offered me an alternative. By this point I had lost my patience and couldn't be polite anymore, I asked him why he never told me that in the first place but I never got an answer.
That evening we were seated for Dinner, then an American couple were seated 5 minutes after us at the table next to us, we both had the same waiter. Needless to say by the time they were onto their second course we were still waiting for a damn drink! We hadn't even been asked let alone had our food order taken! They were long gone by the time we got our main. We were in there nearly 2 hours for 2 courses and were pretty much the last guests out of Vida that night.
Another afternoon in Vida we asked if we could see the dessert menu and our waiter told us that they did not have one at lunch times, and we thought nothing of it. Until the next lunch time we were in there for lunch we were offered dessert, so we couldn't understand why the other waiter lied to us.
The beach waitress had a real problem with us, and again we couldn't understand why. We were always polite and said Hola and Buenos Dias blah blah but she never offered us a drink for a week and a half. We have absolutely no problem with using our own legs and getting our own but we took it really personally because she was literally going around everyone else around us but ignoring us, yet she managed to silently creep up behind us and take the empty glasses that we had got ourselves with out us noticing. We made a small complaint and in the last few days she begrudgingly asked us if we wanted a drink.
I'm not fluent in Spanish but I can speak enough to hold a basic conversation, so I was horrified on our last night when a waiter in Mia Casa called us fat when he asked us if we wanted to see the dessert menu. We were both gobsmacked. He spoke to us in English but called us fat in Spanish thinking that we wouldn't understand but guess what, we did!
At breakfast on our last day we were offered coffee but had no spoons and no milk, so we asked for some, the milk came out about 5 minutes later with a pot of tea that we never asked for but still no spoons. The waiter saw us stirring our coffee with our knives but still didn't bring us a spoon until we were getting up to leave.
And on the morning of our departure, we were in the lobby filling in a questionnaire and were offered a smoothie. Mine had a dead wasp in it so I told the waiter that there was a bug in it and all he said was "Oh" not "would you like another drink" or anything like that.
And finally the worst thing about this hotel is that they seem to be a lot less fussy about the guests that they have. Last year it was a lovely little boutique hotel, great for relaxing, this year the hotel is more focused on quantity not quality because where there are more guests there is more money to be made. It seemed to us that the majority of guest were clearly meant to catch a plane to Magaluf but some how ended up here. We're both 25 and we do love to party, but we're respectful to other guests so keep our drunken antics to ourselves. I don't mind people shouting and being loud, after all they are on holiday, my problem was the filth coming out of people's mouths, constant swearing at the top of there voices. People blasting music at 4am in the Premium Block so loud that the block vibrated, standing on their balcony swearing and throwing food, yet the hotel staff did nothing about the complaints. My Fiance told me that some disrespectful moron had put graffiti in the gents loo's which says it all really about the type of people that now go here. Our next door neighbours were disgusting, constantly slamming their patio doors, moving their table round, shouting at all hours and having loud disgusting sex at least 5 times a day. Yes its a romantic place but there's no need to put on a fake show so that you can be heard all the way down the hall way!
Also, there is a complete lack of nature here now, its as if all the building work has scarred the wildlife away with is a crying shame. And they still have those hideous, cruel lobster tanks. And again horrible disgusting guests purposely stamping on butterflies and lizards and grass hoppers, you wouldn't stamp a child to death so why do it to anything else living. My other half caught one guy trying to drown a grass hopper gave him quite a lecture which really embarrassed the guy's wife, and rightly so! My hero managed to save it too.

We must sound like right stuck up, moany so an so's but we spent a lot of money and did a lot of extra overtime to pay for this holiday, just to be treated like crap while everyone else around us got 1st class treatment. It just was not good enough. This hotel is getting too ahead of itself. We can imagine if it is your first time here you would probably think its great, just like we did, but sooooooo much has changed, and in our opinions none of it for the better. This is just our opinion but we do honestly think that anyone one else returning will see the differences that were so obvious to us. We will return to Mexico at some point in our lives, but never to this hotel. We will book one of the cheaper one's which look a lot better value for money than here. I can't help feeling and wishing that we would of had a much better time going self catering in Europe. So disappointed because it was so amazing only a year ago. Last year it was 5*, this year 3* at the best of times.

Room Tip: The Premium block is ugly on the outside but if you can get on the 4th or 5th floor the views are fa...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review of your experiences, I'm very sorry that we fell short compared to previous visits to the El Dorado Seaside Suites. It is very disappointing to read your comments relating to the service received. we understand that there are many hotels within the Riviera Maya and what sets us apart of them is our superior service and wonderful staff. I have shared both the pros and cons of your stay with not just the supervisory team at the hotel but also the employees of each area mention such as housekeeping and our wait staff. I truly believe that the heart of the resort is our staff and overall I am immensely proud of the team at the El Dorado Seaside Suites.

I have read through your entire review, each issue has been addressed and the appropriate action has been taken to ensure that our loyal clients continue to enjoy their vacations year after year at the El Dorado Seaside Suites.

I hope that you will return to provide us with the opportunity to host your holiday again and please contact me so I can ensure that your next visit surpasses all expectations and above all other previous visits.

Best regards
Alfonso Lopez
gmeds@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Basildon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Having stayed at the EDSS in 2011, we were really looking forward to returning to such an ideal location. However, after reading the reviews we arrived with a little bit of trepidation.
The positives:-The staff are still the most friendly you can ever encounter on holiday. Our room was an ocean front room (2916) which had a lovely view. It was in the middle of the resort which meant it was quiet of an evening when the shows were going on. The restaurants were really good with fantastic service as we're the bars.
The negatives:- We do think the new building is not in keeping with the resort & has lead to it losing it feel of intimacy that was there previously. The beds on the beach are not as spaced out as they were & it feels more crammed now. Beach lunch was not available on numerous occasions which was a let down. Although it rained quite a bit, we did not feel this warrantied the closure of the cooking station for over half our holiday,

We need to make special mention for 2 of the staff. Encarnation, at the beach breakfast, was fantastic. He chatted to us every morning, always remembering our names and exactly what drinks we wanted. Could not do enough for us. Alicia, who works in the Guarminyas bar in the evening. She is so bubbly & friendly. Every night we would be greeted with a robust "hola amigos". These two are a credit to the company.

All in all we had a lovely holiday but think the lure of extra money has spoilt the resort with the expansion. We would recommend the EDSS if you haven't been to Mexico before but we will be looking for a new resort which is similar to how the EDSS used to be.......sorry!!!!

Room Tip: We had room 2916 which is right in the middle of the resort with an ocean view. It was quiet at nig...
Torrevieja, Alicante
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We have recently returned after our 4th visit to Eldorado Seaside Suites Riviera Mayo. This Hotel is one of my top two holiday hotels in the Caribbean, from the moment we arrive the welcome we receive from hotel Management and staff is very welcoming Accommodation, Restaurants and bars are all second to none and it would be hard to find better. Eldorado is set in superb surroundings with a perfect beach and we will certainly be returning again.
M.Smith Espana

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed EDSS from 16th June-30th June. From start to finish it was amazing! From the airport to the resort it took 1 hour which went quick because of the Thomson rep on the coach!

When we arrived at EDSS we were taken to a room next to vida where we were welcomed with champagne, fresh cool towels and snacks. We were told bits about the hotel and filled out a form then were taken to our room by cart our bags arrived shortly after.

We stayed in room 4028. We had a jacuzzi junior suite which is the standard room and when we walked in we couldn't believe how big, spacious and clean it was! We had a huge four poster bed with four pillows and a pillow menu. The bed was really comfy best bed I've slept in! We opened the balcony door to see we were overlooking one of the swim up pool bars and lots of palm trees. We had a big television, DVD player and mini fridge. The mini fridge contained 2 cans of coke, 2 cans of diet coke, 2 cans of sprite, 2 cans of sol and 2 cans of tecafe light beer. The mini fridge was restocked daily and you could ask your concierge to swap whichever you want. Not to mention the huge jacuzzi which was near our bed. Lovely after a long day in the sun!!You was also provided with bubble bath and extra towels. The bathroom had a double sink, big mirror, toilet and big shower. Our housekeeper Moises was amazing with the towel art and our room was kept spotless everyday! In the room we had air con and a ceiling fan and they kept the room nice and cold.

The resort has 3 pool bars, we stayed in Garcitas pool for most of our holiday. It was nice and relaxing. The pool was one length and was really big! Miguel the bar man made sure we was always topped up on drinks! One day we had him making us all different shots, they were tasty, not too strong and presented well! He knew every drink that we asked for off the top of his head. Also the pool waitress Lucy was amazing with making us drinks. She would go to the loungers and take orders and remember off the top of her head who ordered what. Due to my boyfriend being a big man united fan we even had Miguel making us 'Chicharito' shots.

The restraunts were brilliant! Each and everyone of them had lovely menus and lovely staff. We heard on here a lot about the small food portions but every restaurant we went to we had big filling portions!

Vida Garden Grill: We went here mainly for breakfast they had a massive range of foods. I loved the omelettes! We only went here once for tea but when we did it was lovely. I had pork in an orange sauce and it was gorgeous! Very filling!

Klay Talay(Oriental): I'm not a big fan of oriental food but thought would give it a try! Was very clean and nicely decorated. There was a normal menu and a sushi menu. I loved the vegetable spring rolls! We sat inside one night and it was very cool, but would recommend to sit outside because you get a nice breeze.

La Careta(Mexican): One of our favourites. We went here most nights! When you arrived you was given a big plate of nachos with a choice of four dips which was lovely! The menu was brilliant, lots to choose from. We ordered starts and mains and hardly ever had desert you got that much! The staff were amazing, they couldn't do enough for you! Our favourite staff were Rennan, Pedro and Alberto. We tipped 40 pesos to the waiters and they was so grateful.

Mia Casa(Italian): Another one of our favourites. Everything that we eat here was beautiful! When you was waiting for your food the waiters come over with hot bread and two dips. Once again the food was very filling!! Lovely decorated and nice and cool. Our favourite staff in here was Antonio and Miguel. They both was lovely, they would stand and speak to you and make sure your drink was always topped up.

Arrecifes(International): Here was the best for breakfast. They had a menu for you to choose off or you could help yourself to the buffet. There was a chef that made omelette and different type of eggs on a hot plate. Then they had a massive range of hot food, cereals, bread and sweets.

Sandwicherie: Dinner time here was gorgeous! You could sit in the sun enjoying a drink and lovely fresh food. There was a big burger list, burritos and salads. If there wasn't something on the menu they would still make it if asked. We used to go around 12.30 because it used to get quite busy after 1.

Beach BBQ: The beach BBQ did different foods on different days. We went twice and both times there was a range of food. It was buffet style. There was a waiter who was always over making sure everywhere was clean and tidy.

The grounds were beautiful. Very colourful with all the flowers and trees! Very well maintained. There was a few iguanas around the resort but they were harmless! I was quite nervous at first! They eat the yellow and red flowers that were all around the resort. There were gecko's all over the walls in the blocks near the lights at the night time. We were walking back to our room one night and there was a raccoon eating a coconut! He looked at us but carried on eating so we watched him for a while. The beach was beautiful! White sands and very clear water, best beach we have seen. It was always hottest on the beach than at the pools. There were activities always going on on the beach with the entertainers which was fun to watch and even join in. The toilets around the resort were spotless, instead of using paper towels they had hand towels all wrapped up.

We ordered room service a few times, and each time we were very impressed. The food was gorgeous and arrived very quickly still nice and warm.

Overall we had an amazing holiday. Even though we have only named a few people every single one of the staff were brilliant. They was always very busy but always took time to make sure that your okay. We was always greeted with 'hola'. We tended to tip 20 or 40 pesos which isn't a lot of money for us and they was always very great full. Our housekeeper we gave 200 pesos each week we was there. We will definitely be returning shortly!

Book it! :)

Thank you so much for the best holiday we've ever been on,

Kaya & Chris from Manchester

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We were meant to stay at the El Dorado Royale Casitas in May 2009, but due to Swine Flu the holiday was cancelled. We said we would go there, so when it came to booking it was a no brainer.

We booked a Junior Jacuzzi Suite on the top floor and the room was amazing (even though its the bottom rated room). From the moment you arrive until we left in the coach we were looked after and never had a single moan or complaint.

The food is gourmet dining so there isn't buffets which was is great, however there is a breakfast buffet and buffet for lunch. We tended to go for the Mexican as it was outstanding. The beef, shrimp and chicken fajitas was my favourite. My wife is vegetarian and fussy eater but there was plenty of choice. The cocktails were nice and the bars are really good, met some some very nice people and the staff serving are really pleasant too. The room service was fantastic too and is available 24/7. We ordered breakfast a few times which was really nice.... I miss the French toast

The beach was out of this world and I preferred it to the Maldives! There was always beds available and plenty of places to suit your needs, eg pool, sea etc.

On the holiday we did the Chichen Itza excursion, which was fantastic and visited a Cenote (underground water pit). This was included on that trip and was worth every penny, amazing. We also swam with the dolphins which was one of the best experiences of my life....amazing creatures.

To sum it up I would say it was the best holiday from start to finish....

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

At the Dorado Seaside Suites you will feel special and very pampered every single person in there staff does an excellent job to make your stay as comfortable as possible! If you are looking for a vacation spot where you are going to be very relaxed free of screaming children and busy grounds this is the perfect place to stay. This property is beautifully kept cleaned daily and six star service.
I would like to commend the Bell Captain Mario Serrano for superb service he will go out of his way to make sure your stay is as comfortable as possible.

Room Tip: The beach front Villas are a perfect location on the first floor with easy access to the beach
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!