“Horrible Place,save your money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
40% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
A TripAdvisor Member
“Horrible Place,save your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2004

Our trip to the El Dorado Resort and Spa was one of the worst experiences of our lives. Some posters are posting their reviews based on the El Dorado Royale which is a different place. The room was stripped bare of everything except a small TV which did not work very well. The room smelled so bad from the odor coming from the bath drains we had to keep the door shut to stand it. The bed was hard and the linens old and scratchy. We were promised all kinds of extras and received none of them. You could get water and other amenities if you paid extra per day. The beach area was fine,probably the best thing about this resort. There were no ATMs or pay phones on the resort. The food was so so and the service marginal at best. For those who went to the Royale,I wish we had. Please ,when you post,let everone know which El Dorado you actually stayed at.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,304)
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2004

This was the first time at an all-inclusive for myself and wife. What a huge disappointment. Shame on Signature Vacations and the Eldorado Resort for advertising and charging as a 4-star resort. Calling them a 2 star would be generous. There were so many negative things that we ran out of room on the survey card when we filled it out. Service was extremely slow and the bars ran out of ice, limes and worster. Beds were rock hard as were the pillows. No mini bars or anything in the rooms. Had to ask for extra water, it never came. Beaches are rocky for swimming, all food came just warm, they never had the lobster night, hammocks were rotting and torn, front desk on 3 different days had no pesos to convert money into. The TV had a mind of it's own and came on 3 nights at 4:00 a.m. The towels and bedding were thread bare and worn.
The 2 pools were so cold that no one swam in them. The disco was closed for renovations so no place to go dance, only had entertainment one night. Bars closed early so had to get a drink and take back to room.
Worst vacation ever been on and this is 6th time to Mexico. Spend your vacation money any where but the Eldorado Resort!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2004

January 14 to Jan 21 and had a spectacular time. The food was great.
The resort was so very clean and we were treated like royalty. All of the help went out of their way to make our vacation perfect. We had a candlelight dinner on the beach for our anniversay, complements of the resort. I would highly recommend the El Dorado to anyone who would like to be treated like the rich and famous!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2004

Nice reception at both airport and hotel. Room allocation was well organized so you can get your stuff stowed quickly and get on with relaxing. I read a number of complaints about the beach but if you are into snorkelling you will love it. I am quite well travelled and have sorkelled in the Med, the Red Sea, and the Atlantic - this was the best I have seen to date but you have to be willing to push the envelope a bit and get out near the main reef.Staff were very friendly and helpful, you may have to ask for something but they usually find it for you (like more bottled water).The room was comfortable, beds were firm but not hard, lighting could have been a lot better especially in the bathroom.Food was a strong average, enough variety to do a week. If we had stayed for a second week I think we would have ventured out for a few evening meals. If you are a wine lover you will have to bring it with you, the labels available on the resort were poor.They could play closer attention to the music played at the swing bar, they will put in personal CDs so bring some if you like something specific.This resort is nice and secluded, well maintained, calm and has a relaxing atmosphere, perfect for relaxing from stressful jobs. If you want high energy I suggest you go closer to Playa or Cancun - this was just our speed (for ref we are both 40, no kids, and have demanding jobs).Check it out, you will like it.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2004

Spent the week of Jan 4-11, 2003. We had a great time, food and drinks were good. The service from the staff was excellent. They will try to get you to take a free day at the El Dorado Royale, if you are interested in buying in to a timeshare go ahead. We declined this offer. The room was great, the view was spectacular. The beach is fine, bring water shoes the corral and shells can be hard on your feet. There was never a problem finding a spot on the beach, and there was a wait staff to bring you drinks. The first night in the room the bathtub backed up through the floor drain, this problem was quickly fixed when reported. The grounds are well kept, and clean. Many reviews complained of a sewer odor, we never noticed this on the beach side of the resort.
If you are looking for a resort to relax in and enjoy the company of new found friends, this is the place for you. Rito, Marco, and Alex do a great job behind the bars.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2004

We had a very nice time! We stayed from Jan 4-11 2004. We booked through a travel agent who used Worry-Free and things went very smoothly. After reading reviews before we left for El Dorado Spa Resort some of them had me wondering about the water for snorkeling i.e. coral hurting your feet and not good snorkeling. So while I was there I made up my mind to post my own review when I came back (to reality) We didn t end up snorkeling, but many others did and said it was  o.k. If you are choosing a resort only for snorkeling you might want to go somewhere else, however you are close to many other snorkeling Destinations. I did wade around and swim (without my water shoes) and was fine! We had an offer to go to the El Dorado Royal (Delux ****)(also owned by Karisma) It was very nice and the casitas were BEAUTIFUL. I would still go back to El Dorado Spa Resort(First Class ***) rather than the El Dorado Royal due to the proximity of our room to the beach. I could quickly walk back to our room from our palm tree shaded lounge chairs on the beautiful beach. We had a junior suite with a Jacuzzi in the room, which I used quite a few times. More than enough hot water to fill it and very relaxing! I think the rooms on our end of the resort were older there was a slight musty smell, mostly in the closet but for Peat s sake people your within steps of the beach!!! The tap water in the room was a BIT salty, but didn t dry my skin or anything, so I had no problem. I will go back and stay in the same room the very moment I have enough in my piggy bank!!! The food was nice, and if you needed an alteration in the menu item the staff would do their very best to get you what you want the way you want it. Tip these hard working folks yes I know it says gratuities included, but if you can, give them a bit extra they really work their behinds off! Had 3 massages (1 on the beach) nice idea, but not as relaxing as the 2 in the spa building. I would suggest the Aromatherapy massage and Myra was very good. Oh, did I mention that in the afternoon they come down the beach taking drink orders and bring them back to you hmmm. We met so many nice guests that we hope to stay in touch with. This is a Nice People destination. If you are a whiner, complainer or someone that can find fault with anything and you know who you are Don t stay here! P.S. Some very nice folks we met had a LOT of problems with Sunquest We used Worry-Free and everything was fine so F.Y.I.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2004

My husband and 4 of our friends just returned from El Dorado Spa.
January 10th, 2004. We had a wonderful time. The grounds are very nice (we have been to nicer) and the food is the best we have had at a all inclusive. You even order off a menu at lunch. The mexican restaurant is 7 courses and they bring you what they are serving that night, you do not order off the menu. The rooms are very large. We had some problems, no hot water one night, no cold water the other night but we made due just fine. The ocean is breath taking, it is not a ocean you go out and bounce in the waves because of the coral and rocks on the bottom (it really hurts your feet), but it is turquoise water and beautiful. This is the first time we had stayed at an all adult resort, and I really enjoyed it, there was no kids running around to make me miss mine. My husband and I had a massage, it was heaven!!! There is security on both ends of the beach, so people can't get in, and we left our doors to our room unlocked most of the time, and had no problems.
Don't try to get naked, you will get in trouble even at 3:00 a.m., you can go topless. The place was full, but it seemed like there was hardly any people which was nice, I loved that, because at other resorts, I always feel like I am at Miami Beach, very layed back and low key!!!
All around it was a great place, a few problems here and there, but I would go back in a heart beat. You vacation will be what you make of it, have fun and you will enjoy this resort.

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!