“A wonderful week” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
40% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Acton, MA
“A wonderful week”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We just returned from Seaside Suites three days ago. It was a delightful week, and we would return without hesitation.

I read some of the reviews before starting to write this, and I agree with many of the positive and even some of the not-so-positive reviews. I believe that when traveling as a guest in a different country, some patience and open-mindedness go a long way. Focusing on little things that don't really affect the overall quality of visit seems to me to be a waste of energy. For example, the toilet in our room ad low water pressure, but I believe that this is impacted by the resort's commitment to conservation. I did not find our room to be dated at all; the bed was very comfortable and we were grateful for the jacuzzi for two which was spotless and got plenty of use. I did not hear any noise from above or below us, and we were in a second floor room. Yes, there is construction, but I only really heard it when I was outside walking in the vicinity. The only time I was bothered by any kind of noise was one night when a band on the other side of the resort played loudly until after 11pm. But I understand that it's hard to cater to the diverse needs of guests of all ages and with varying bedtimes! :)

The beach was lovely, and we snorkeled right out in front of the resort. Have I seen more colorful fish in other parts of the Caribbean? Yes. But the water was calm and clear and we enjoyed spending time swimming. Yes, there are some guests who get up at the crack of dawn to reserve both chaise lounges and beach beds. Yes, it seemed like an obnoxious thing to do. But we never had any trouble finding a lounge or beach bed when we wanted one, and the hotel was at 97% occupancy.

In my opinion, the most appealing feature of this lovely resort was the people. Everyone we met went out of their way to be kind, friendly and helpful. They were patient with me when I tried to practice my Spanish. They recommended menu items. They talked about their lives when asked and asked about ours. They delivered drinks on the beach on the hottest of days without breaking a sweat or forgetting a smile. They kept the grounds spotless. They made us feel like family.

Is the food "gourmet?" That is so subjective. Some meals were more delicious than others but all were good. We had heard that the Italian restaurant was the best; it turned out to be our least favorite (and that was the one time in the entire week that we felt our waiter was unfriendly and delivered less than perfect service). We were told that the Asian restaurant was "just ok;" it turned out to be one of our favorite spots. We never had a bad meal; we just liked some better than others.

We visited the spa twice, both times with discounted offers, and I can't begin to describe what an amazing experience it was both times. Prepare to be pampered! I highly recommend a visit (or two or three) there.

We will happily return here and even try out some of the other resorts in this chain. Thanks to Paula and her hard-working staff for a wonderful vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,298)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013 via mobile

A beautiful setting on the beach. Very clean, staff very courteous, pleasant, and happy to help in every way they can. We had a tree top birthday dinner, which is worth the extra money. The weather was hot, with a beautiful trade wind, constantly cooling. One word of warning, there is a stomach bug in the resort, with more people affected than the hotel letting on, the doctors fees are expensive, and want cash up front, take dyarolite and lots if it to help recovery.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for your recent review , i'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed our superior service and our unique dining experience . Our staff are definately dedicated and I'm very proud of each and every employee. your comments do cause some concern, I can assure you that we do not have any sickness within the hotel , please feel free to contact me if you feel otherwise.

Best Regards

Paula Negrete
gmeds@eldoradoseasidesuites.com.mx
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We (a party of 3 couples) were greeted with a cool cloth and champagne and promptly escorted to our room.
We had requested rooms with King beds when we booked in Aug, but were put in rooms with 2 doubles and were told we would be moved to the King suites as per request the next day. It was somewhat inconvenient to have to dig through our suitcases to find specific belongings, and then to have to keep our carry-ons with all our cash, valuables and passports/tickets ect. with us at the beach and so on, from noon (check-out) until our new rooms were ready at 3pm. I asked if they would be able to offer anything extra to us to make up for the inconvenience and the conceirge offered each couple a romantic in-room breakfast the following day which was a $110.00 value US. They were very accomodating and we were thankful. The breakfast was amazing!
If you are planning on tipping your bar stocker and the maid, I would suggest locating your maid, find out how many days she will be cleaning your room (in case of shift changes part way thru the week) and tip her personally. My Husband returned by fluke to our room before noon one day and discovered that the tip money left in fridge for bar stocker was no longer there, nor was the maids money we had hidden under a pillow for her (a small gift we had left was still there) and the rooms had not been cleaned yet. We reported it to conceirge who later called to tell us that the money had been split between the stocker and maid. Not sure I beleive that and wondered how many of the poor maids have been deprived of their hard earned tips
Now with that out of the way....I only have good things left to say and I would still HIGHLY recommend this resort. Everything was wonderful, excellent food only had one thing the entire week I didnt care for...Chicken Parm at the Italian restaurant, but every other meal was excellent and the portions perfect. I am of average size and did not leave a restaurant feeling hungry once. I actually preffered VIDA for breakfast, much better than Arrecifies. Try the Eggs Bennedict Vida Style! Yum
The room was well kept and we would come in to find little towel creatures on the bed. Always had plenty of towels and air was turned on for us. I did notice a slight damp odour, but given that you are in a tropical climate you will get that just about anywhere. After a day or so it was not even noticeable.
The staff were always friendly and helpful, they couldnt do enough for you and were always happy and smiling!
Drinks could have been a little more exciting for 5 star (meaning fancied up with garnishes ect, but there was a good selection...I tried them all! Loved the Mango and Pina Coladas, Dirty Monkeys and must try the Bandera (Mexican flag) shooters! Thanks Ubaldo, the great pool bartender for your great service! Randy says Hello.
Plenty of chairs to be found on beach but beds got taken early on, we never cared...love the sunshine.
Beach was beautiful they kept it raked and cleaned it daily. I would stay away from the large bar end by the wall and go down past the gazebo near the beach bar. The ocean was good there. Yes there were some small rocks as you step in, but the water was clear and once you get the 5 feet past them its nice and sandy. We brought water shoes but never wore them.
Bring snorkel gear if you have it, the reef is right there, there are tons of fish swimming around you and lots to see.
We didnt hang out at the main pool at all not enough loungers and too many beds. I would change that. The small pool bar near building 36 was fun!
Lots of birds, creatures to see and enjoyed morning walks around the beautifully maintained property. I am a decent looking lady and never had a problem walking alone without my Husband. Watch out though our friends spotted a Boa Constrictor on the main walkway one day! Yikes There IS a mangrove across from buildings at back and YES I guess there would be the occasional snake come out!
Entertainment was good, somthing different each night. Live bands were very good and the Mayan dinner night was a lot of fun.
If you do a tour I would also highly recommend Coba Maya Encounter. You will visit the Coba Ancient Ruins where you can still climb the 138 foot tall pyramid, visit a mayan family and have a traditional mayan meal and see a musical performance and if lucky meet the Shaman and be annointed by him. Then you will travel to a underground Cenote. You will not have to zipline or rappell into the cave, it has stairs. Once in, the cave is breathtakingly beautiful with crystal clear warm water. We thoroughly enjoyed this trip which was roughly 8 hours. We stopped along the way for a little souvenier shopping but were not pressured to buy.
Another awesome trip was Xel-ha, also about 8 hours with food and unlimited drinks avail. Lots to see and do if you like to snorkel.
This resort had young honeymooners, older retirees and middle aged like myself. Not really the place for singles. Very romantic peaceful, yet lots to keep your interest going! I would not hesitate to go back. I have been to Cuba, Bahamas, Dominican, Jamaica and Mexico and I think this is one of my top 7 trips I have ever been on.

Room Tip: I found that the basic junior suite/garden view was perfect. The resort was so lush that an ocean vi...
Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We checked out this past Friday after spending a wonderful week.

As far as all inclusives go this is a great place.

It feels small, when in reality it's not that tiny.

Like most Caribbean resorts, the walls and details are molded plaster, rooms a little damp, and amenities not quit as nice as what you would fine in the USA. The big jet tubs kinda gross me out so I would rather have a little sofa or seating area instead of the wasted space for a huge tub we never used. But I'm kind of a germ freak when it comes to things like that.

But for a beach all inclusive it really is fabulous.

I will say that the food was really good, creative and beautiful.... but I wouldn't say gourmet. But again I consider myself a foodie and love to have a nice meal.

The grounds are absolutely beautiful! the staff is the nicest around.

Wifi isn't free... but the signal is strong. As someone else stated, I would rather pay and have a great signal than have a free signal that is so weak it is pointless. We were even able to facetime our family while on the beach!

The beach isn't the greatest... but that is no fault of the resort. Hurricanes and nature do what they want. The staff is always cleaning the beach, raking, bringing drinks, etc.

We ate breakfast at the Vida Grill most mornings and it was nice. Nothing is overly spiced, so ask for some hot sauce if you want to kick it up a notch and feel like you are in Mexico! The daily juices were great... not sure if they were freshly juiced but lets go with it and say they were.

For lunch we usually were not at the resort, but for the times we were we enjoyed the guacamole and pico at the sandwicherie. The last day we ate lunch at Areffices and although not outside we wished we had discovered this as a lunch option earlier in the week as the food was better than the sandwicheries pizzas and frozen hamburger patties (although they dress them up with fancy toppings). Our favorite lunch (and favorite thing over all) was the fish market on Sunday. As we were lying on the beach a kayak appeared with a fisherman and four large fish. Granted we know he didn't just catch them but it was a good show. He procedded to bring the fish to the BBQ area and we all enjoyed fresh fish, ceviche, etc. Drinks were served in an adorable coconut with face made of fruit. They call this event the "Fish Market" and it is not to be missed.

For dinner we enjoyed the Italian and Mexican restaurants the most. We had room service one night and it was quick and easy after a long day on the beach.

The construction didn't really bother us as we requested a room away from the action. If we had been in a building close by we might have been disappointed. They do try and cover the hammering with new age music.

Again, this resort was BEAUTIFUL, everyone was SO NICE, the food was GREAT for an all inclusive and we loved our week there!

Victoria, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We were booked for 7 days in Christmas 2012, after spneding two days we found the nighlife to be extremely poor, after talking to the concierge Armando, he told us that if we would like to leave that all of our all inclusive fees would be reimbursed. ( we are RCI menbers, you think it would help, NO it doesn't) anyway, I wrote three different email and never got any responses back, we go to Mexico every4 months so I guess I will have to go waist part of my next trip negociating with the poor El Dorado ( KArisma ) management.

It is very sad that some Hotels neglect to take care of some client care service.

Thanks for reading.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We originally stayed here in November 2011, shortly after getting engaged and booking our wedding. Whilst there we decided that we would have to return for our honeymoon as we were worried that nowhere else in our budget would match it! We had our honeymoon in November 2012, and luckily the hotel was as amazing as we had remembered.

We stayed in block 40 which is near the ongoing building work. We never heard a sound from the building when we were in our room. We went for breakfast most mornings at around 8.30 by which time the builders were well into their working day, and they were still working at 6pm when we came back to the room. We couldn't hear any noise until we were walking right past the work, so if you do get put in one of the blocks near the work then it's really nothing to worry about.

The rooms aren't the strongest point of the hotel, it has to be said. They're quite dated, and if you're not on the top floor yourself then be prepared to hear a lot of noise from the room above. However, they are spotlessly clean (as is the whole resort), and perfectly functional. If we were to return then I would pay the extra to go in the new premium rooms once they're open.

As in 2011, on our honeymoon we enjoyed all the restaurants, but the mexican isn't as good as the others in our opinion. We did find that the menus hadn't changed at all from the previous year though, so we were really bored of the food by about day 10. That being said, the food is cooked beautifully and is a much better standard than any other AI hotel I've been to.

We spent most of our days on the beach and never struggled to get a bed. The cabanas in the sun are taken early with towels, but there are always plenty of loungers available at any time. The waiter service on the beach and by the pools is fantastic, and you very rarely have an empty glass. We did tip the waiters as they work really hard, but I don't think we got any better service than people who didn't tip, so you don't need to feel obliged to do this.

The staff and service are what really makes this place special. Everyone from the gardeners to the managers always have a smile on their face, and they can't do enough for you. We did have one exception with our concierge who was unbelievably rude and unhelpful on the one occasion that we saw her, but she really was the one exception to the rule. The waiters and bartenders are all fabulous. Our favourites were Rolando on the beach, and Lorenzo and Marcelo in the sandwicherie. All amazing!

I look forward to reading the reviews once the new block is open. I know they're are opening new restaurants, and the new block will have a pool and bar, but the beach is already at capacity and I don't see how they're going to cope with all the extra people without it feeling crowded and losing the relaxed feel that currently makes it so enjoyable. This is the only thing that would currently put me off returning again, but if the reviews carry on being 5* then we'll definitely be back in the (hopefully near!) future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I just returned from a solo trip to the El Dorado Seaside and have lots to report. I was booked in a swim-up jacuzzi room. The toilet would not flush, nor would my jacuzzi stay plugged. I was very upset and wanted to change rooms. Nothing was available, so I packed up and was going to go to my girlfriends at the marina, but the night manager fixed up room 3511, and it was perfect.
This room was more modern and on the second level which felt more private. Everyone can see you in the swim-up rooms, there is NO privacy.
The following day, Enrique, one of the day managers apologized for the room mishap and gave me a spa treatment - very nice!!!
The resort is beautiful with lots of jungle and many quiet places to hide.
The food is o.k., room service was good.
The beach is rocky, but there are guys picking rocks everyday, just bring water shoes(I used my birkim yoga shoes). If you are a couple, this is a very romantic resort and highly recommend it.
I on the other hand was travelling solo monolo!!! Just turned 40 and needed a break from hubby and 6yr. son.
All the staff are wonderful and do their very best to please. Some go beyond, you know who you are my "snorkle guy". By the way, thanks, I needed that!!
All in all, I have returned home feeling relaxed and eager to plan my return!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!