“Changes” 5 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

You added El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma to your Saves list
El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Km 95 Carretera Cancun-Tulum, Puerto Aventuras 77710, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
21%Off+$150 Resort Credit
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Aventuras
Gold Hill, Oregon
“Changes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Three years have passed since our last visit and the place looks better than ever. The grounds and landscaping are more brilliant in design and color. The food, service and attention to guests are still amazing. And the new spa took our breath away, like stepping into a whole new dimension of the senses!
Other areas that have changed include; a new bar, south of Guacamayas Lounge complete with wedding/reception area. There’s now a protected & accessible area to the beach for feeding/viewing of marine life.
Along with the changes in place, there’s more happening…
- The resort has just started a 700-meter beach expansion on the south end of the property. Workers are cleaning, manicuring and will be adding more palapas.
- A massive new EDSS lobby is being built across from near the tennis courts. This will be for guests staying at EDSS, while guests at the neighboring Hidden Beach Resort will be shuttled from the front gate entrance directly to it’s own lobby.
- They are under construction of a new 6 story, 98-room facility west of the Vida Garden restaurant. 50 of the rooms will be designated for Thompson Travel and the balance open for others. While this will be a bit further from the beach it will have it’s own pool, concierge and other services.
With all the existing changes and those in progress, I still feel the main item that set this place apart is the passion the staff has to serve and make the guests feel at home.
Looking forward to returning again soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,259)
  • Polish first
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have literally just returned from a 11 night stay here, travelling with Thomson/First Choice. I wouldn't normally be so quick to put a review on Trip Advisor, but you may well get a phone call from your tour operator about some building work that has started to take place within the hotel, and I thought it would be useful for people to know the extent of the building work (which won't affect your holiday one little bit).

The building work is taking place at the front of the resort, just in front of the reception area. This is difficult to visualise. So if you really want to see where the building work is taking place, I would recommend going to the Karisma Hotels website. Then on the top tabs, select Destination, then Hotel and Resort Maps. Click on El Dorado Seaside Suites. The building work is taking place in the tree area just in front of the Vida Restaurant (R6 on the map). The only rooms this affects will be the Swim-Up and Garden Villas in bloke 41. I can't imagine it will make much of a difference as the work is only going on during the day and in theory I would imagine that you will be on the beach. However, if you get these rooms, it might be worth asking for a different room further into the resort. We were in block 27 and we didn't hear a thing.

The building work is actually developing a new site, which will increase the capacity of the Hotel. I think this is a massive shame. The Hotel is so intimate and to increase its capacity will just not work. They say they are going to be building a nice big pool and more restaurants, but the beach will be much much busier and I am sure you will have to start waiting for tables in the restaurants. In my opinion, this is Karisma getting too greedy and I have to say it is unlikely we will return here, despite the exceptional holiday we have just had.

I would say if you are going in the next 12 months, you'll be fine. If you are going later than this, I would just be prepared for the hotel getting busier.

Ok so enough of the building work, and on to the main points.

The food is lovely, the staff are ultra friendly and can't do enough for you. Its is a relaxed resort. All the reviews that have commented on the fact that there isn't a a great bar area and there isn't much going on in the evening...well actually that is the whole point of the hotel in my opinion. It is about spending quality time with you partner and if you are anything like us, you will slip into a the routine of getting up early and going to bed early and so therefore, you won't need a massive entertainment programme.

The beach is great. It isn't all glorious white sand. I would recommend taking a pair of wet shoes or diving shoes as there are a few rocks when you actually get into the water. This makes for good snorkelling opportunities though. The actual beach has lovely four poster beds which you can chill out on amongst palm trees. And the extremely attentive and friendly staff will ask you if you want drinks.Janet is a great beach waitress. She appeared right at the time when I thought "I could use a drink".

Everywhere is clean and tidy. The amount of work that goes into the maintenance of the resort is amazing. Someone is always doing something to make the experience that little bit better.

The only slightly negative points I would say is that in the restaurants they will always ask if you want to see the wine list (which offers bottles of wine which they will charge you for) and also an additional menu with either steak of lobster. Again they will charge you for this. In my opinion Gormet All Inclusive should be just that.

Also this is a premier hotel yet they charge for WIFI. I am going to Amsterdam in December and paying £50 a night for a hotel and get free unlimited WIFI. However, here a week costs $50 US and can only be used on one device. I think this is a bit of a rip off personally. However, you can get coverage in your room, communal areas and even the beach and it is a good speed.

Rooms wise, I payed a little bit extra and paid for an oceanview room. Don't be fooled by the description. No review has a completely unrestricted view of the ocean as there are lots of palm trees in the way. However, these rooms are a little bit quieter and you can see the ocean through the trees. All rooms will be lovely thought.

The only room that I would question paying extra for are the swim up rooms. There is zero atmosphere here. Everyone is always on the beach and during the day you hardly ever sea anyone in the swim up pool. I would imagine it would be nice for couples who want to spend the time by a pool, on their own. However, these rooms don't get the sun all day and in my opinion aren't worth the extra money.

All in all though it is a lovely resort. Get in while you can before it gets too big and is spoilt.

Room Tip: Try to avoid Block 41 at the moment as this is where the building work is taking place. Probably won...
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a relaxing week at EDSS. As has been previously mentioned, parts of the beach are not usable due to the coral. However, farther south the beach is better for swimming. The beach is beautiful and with all the loungers and beds around the pool plenty of places to relax are available. The construction is contained only to the entrance of the resort. The spa additions are completed with hot and cold plunge pools, but we did not use them. We opt for the couples massage on the beach.

The food and beverage service is of excellent quality. We particularly enjoyed Mi Casa. I would recommend guests order something from all the courses offered. The spaghetti carbon era is excellent but more of an appetizer serving. The house wine is as bad as described, but better wines from different price ranges are offered. The drink service at the swim up bars was efficient. Make sure you check the list of cocktails or ask the bartender for his specialty. The beach bar with the swings was a perfect perch to enjoy an evening cocktail.

As far as negatives, the drive from the airport is about an hour. People do mark loungers early in the morning. And of course I wish the beach was more usable for its entire length. This was our second trip and we would definitely return. This is not a destination for the party all night crowd. If you are looking for a romantic trip with your significant other it is perfect.

brianpa

West Country
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I will not go into detail about how fab it is - because it has all been said before! So hope you all find these tips will make your holiday here even more special!
First - the BUILDING WORK has made no impact at all on the place at the moment. If you book now you will be advised of the work - it is a 6 storey new block, with swimming pool etc being built at the back of the resort. Our room was very near but as all balconies face towards the sea this had no impact at all except for seeing the occasional red hatted builder. 96 new rooms are being added and I believe that the lobby will be changed into another restaurant with a new lobby being built further up the drive.Will this change the resort - who knows but it a shame that is growing in size by a quarter.What I don't think that will change is the staff - they really do make this place what it is - but if the words 'hola' and 'it's a pleasure' get on your nerves, you have been warned!
Ladies, some of the restaurants can get a little chilly at times with the air-con and depending where you sit(Vida Garden Grill and the Mexican spring to mind) so take a cover with you if you feel the cold. Whilst we are on clothing, it was disappointing to see that as long as men wore a collared shirt, anything was getting in. Shorts, cut off jeans, ripped jeans, beach flip flops and even the odd t shirt. Come on lads, up you game!!
If you need to get a sunbed with shade you might want to get up earlier rather than later although you always find some shade in the grounds (hammocks, daybeds are shattered around) The best bit of beach is on the right side if you look out to sea.
Get out and use the collectivos (local buses at the top of the road) - we went to Tulum and Akumel beach under our own steam. Akumel was our red letter day - you get to swim with the turtles for free on a public beach - we saw 10 within about 20-30 metres from the beach - just amazing!
We used Lomas travel for a half day trip to Coba - very good. We didn't want to do the Thomsons with the standard trip to the 'local village and lunch' so this gave us what we required.
People we chatted to thought that the swim up rooms were a waste of money - there is so many trees it is bit of a lottery whether you will get sun or shade and if you are near the swim up bars it can noisy and have a lack of privacy if you go back to your room for the afternoon. And remember that beach front is that - it does not mean sea view - again because of the amount of palms that protect the resort very few have a good view of the sea. And again you could be near the main bar that stays open until 2. If you look at the site layout on the resorts website, things look a lot further away than they actually are.
Look out for the resident barracuda that turns up most days and if you want to learn to snorkel the beach is so shallow - feels like you could walk to Cuba. A pair of beach shoes can be useful depending on what part of the beach you get into the sea from.
If you go (like us) in October and you take a walk up the beach - to your right - you might be lucky enough to see the turtles nests - they are all dated. And if you are really lucky you will get to see the Turtle guy get the babies out of the nest to release them at night so they get a better chance of survival. The beach is abit rough as soon as you leave the hotels beach - a bit of litter etc but fab swimming in beautiful blue sea.
If entertainment is big on your list you might be a bit disappointed. The reggae night was rained off but hey - they cannot control the weather.
The coach transfer only took just over the hour - you would not have done it alot quicker in a private car - it is just one long straight road from the airport.
Would I class this hotel as 5 star - probably not in the true sense - the sunbeds could do with mattresses for example - they are the bulk standard ones but then if you get up early - you can get a beach cabana.But it is the staff and the cleanliness of the resort that make it - so many maintanence, gardeners, cleaners, the back ground staff and toilets by the beach - well you could eat your dinner in there!
Was it value for money - a thousand times over - we haven't come back feeling so chilled for a long time - shame about the standard of crew on the Thomsons flight back to Bristol - you could do with some lessons from the staff at the hotel but that is a whole new story!

Room Tip: The regular rooms are fine - ask for a high floor and you will get a bit more light due to all the p...
Coventry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked this trip as a 1 week relax and chill holiday and was not disappointed. I upgraded the flight to premium (well worth it!) and also to an Ocean View Suite (again, well worth it!).
The hospitality at the resort is second to none, I found giving tips were not implied or necessary, but very much appreciated when given. The level of service did not depend on tips being provided.
Our room was big, modern and very nice! Superb large bed, great jacuzzi and bathroom. A large flat screen tv and DVD player (free DVDs for hire) and restocked mini bar everyday. Our room was cleaned every day and we had three nicely prepared towel animals on the bed in the 7 nights we stayed.
The beach is a nice place to chill, lots of drinks being delivered all the time, and a close by barbecue for lunchtime food. The sand is really soft in places and rough in others. It did not bother me too much as the sand in the sea was really soft. We had no problems finding beds on the beach. Most became more available in the afternoon as people left the beach.......... Also I would suggest to the resort that the quality of the normal sunbeds on the beach should be improved. They are fairly basic and not befitting of such a resort..........
The restaurants were either really nice (Italian and Mexican) or ok, I did not like the Asian restaurant very much, but some people did........ The Mexican and Italian restaurants, for me, have the best food and service.
The bars serve a great selection of drinks, but if you ask for vodka and coke, you'll get local vodka. Therefore it is best to ask for the brand name itself. I.e. Smirnoff and coke will get you the real drink!
I did not use the moonlit evening meal or spa treatment, but they looked to be ok and we're used a lot by others during my stay.
The hospitality is the real key point here, everyone is really nice and extremely helpful with every request.
Would I recommend this place to others? Yes, would I go back and stay here again? Possibly........ But only because there are many other places I want to visit first!!

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here a year ago for our honeymoon, decided to review following this years holiday as it pales in comparison to this hotel.

Right from the coach transfer we felt welcome with cold beers on board, the welcome drinks and information when we got there was great, helpful and friendly. Most things are included in the all inclusive, room service, mini bar, drinks including cocktails and sparkling wine. The staff were friendly. Loved the lizards and other wildlife we saw while there.

We had a swim up suite and loved it, sun all day, quick swim to the swim up bar for cocktails and beers, room service lunches or burgers at the outdoor restaurant, plenty of beach beds while we were there. The hotel is a bit shabby for a 5* with tiles falling off the pool and there were some repairs going on while we were there.

By far the best part was the food, everything we ate was amazing, love the a la carte element of the hotel, beats any other all inclusive we've been to by far, would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This was the best holiday we have been on. The hotel is amazing and the grounds are beautiful and maintained daily I have never seen such hard workers. All the staff are wonderful nothing is too much trouble especially Lucy on the beach! All the food is just delicious the Asian cuisine and the vida garden were our favourites and the room service is a must! There is nothing that would put me off going again nor recommending it to my friends and family

• Stayed October 2012

Been to El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma? Share your experiences!